PDA

View Full Version : Quick 36 and Toro T-Bar 36

PTP
03-28-2008, 12:42 AM
For those of you who have run both units, which one would you prefer to use all day mowing small residential lawns - 8000 square feet and less.

Why?

CFB
03-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Good question. I will be right there with that same decision to make next year. Unless I can find a slightly used Turftracer for 3K or less. Very interested in the reply's to this thread. I'll think I'll subscribe to it.

The Lawn Rangers
03-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Buy a 36" ZTR for a little bit more maybe?

bill8379
03-28-2008, 06:14 AM
21" . On a few lawns of 8000k and less a 36 might come in handy but my experience is that they are cumbersome unless the lawn is large and open.

PTP
03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the posts but I am still looking for a reply to my original question.

4curbappeal
03-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the posts but I am still looking for a reply to my original question.

Is the Toro a hydro or a belt? If it is a hydro, go with the Toro! If it is a belt, still go with the Toro!!!! No, if it is indeed a belt, then probably the bop!

ed2hess
03-29-2008, 12:00 AM
For those of you who have run both units, which one would you prefer to use all day mowing small residential lawns - 8000 square feet and less.

Why?

I would rather have a dual hydro when doing a lot of turning going around trees bushes and stuff in very small yards. We had a unit similar to single hydro and wore you out running it 6-7 hours a day.

ProCut Lawn Care
03-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Just sold a toro 36 proline tbar and it was an excellent mower. For the size yards you ask about it would be great, I only had 2 accounts that we had to use the 36 on because of rear gates. We couldn't fit the bigger decks. Hauling around the extra weight and space it required we deicided to just use the 21's and only lost about 10 min per account but gained a ton of trailer space.
I used it also as a backup mower and it came in handy and with the t bar controls, it could be run all day with much less fatigue to the guys than a pistol grip mower. I would have kept it but just not much need for it anymore.
The t bar is a nice unit.

jeffex
03-29-2008, 07:21 AM
I have a 36" toro that I bought in 97 and I'm going to replace it this yr. Oh it still works great its just time to let it go to backup status. I want to try the new turbo forcedecks. Easy to opperate with t-bar easy to maintain( I replaced a key inside the tranny 2 yrs ago with help from mechanics on lawnsite) GREAT cut . Same original wheel belts . replaced deck and drive belts once in 11 yrs. I'm going to get the 15hp Kaw. with the new turboforce deck and mulch kit. The parts are easy to get and the thing has paid for itself over and over again. The deck size means you have to swing right a bit before makeing a left for a zero turn but not on the 48" due to overhang of deck beyond tires. I'm sure that is true for all w/bs that the deck is in line with the tires.

LawnTamer
03-29-2008, 11:28 AM
I run 36" T-bars and have also been looking at the Q-36. I am hesitant to switch from the Toros as they have been great for me. They mow day in and day out and I have the spare parts I need on the trailer.

I got my oldest in 2000, it is well over 4,000 hrs and still runs strong, I did replace the motor, (it got run without oil):hammerhead::hammerhead:, that was 4 yrs ago. I replaced the transmission too, but we ride a sulky and mow in 5th gear nearly all the time. When it started to slip a little I spent the $169 for a new one, takes about 2 hrs to swap out. It would only take one, but the sheave on the bottom is always a bear to get off.

I just keep hearing such good things about the Q-36. MY T-bars are old enough that they all have the SFS deck which has a hard time mulching thick tall grass, even with doubles. I've heard that the Q-36 will mulch hay. IDK if it is true though.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-29-2008, 02:06 PM
21" . On a few lawns of 8000k and less a 36 might come in handy but my experience is that they are cumbersome unless the lawn is large and open.

Wow, are you serious? Maybe you're in this for the exercise and not the $$. A 21" is gonna do 4mph. With overlap, you get an 18-20" pass. A 36" (my Toro T-Bar, anyhow) does 7.75mph and with overlap cuts a 33-34"" path.

Do the math and that's more than triple the productivity. Plus, with a sulky, you don't have to walk a marathon every day.

I'm actually phasing out my 21" entirely this year. No more of that crap for me.

PTP
03-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm still looking for someone with real world experience with the two.

bill8379
03-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Wow, are you serious? Maybe you're in this for the exercise and not the $$. A 21" is gonna do 4mph. With overlap, you get an 18-20" pass. A 36" (my Toro T-Bar, anyhow) does 7.75mph and with overlap cuts a 33-34"" path.

Do the math and that's more than triple the productivity. Plus, with a sulky, you don't have to walk a marathon every day.

I'm actually phasing out my 21" entirely this year. No more of that crap for me.

But so many of my yards are small and my toro 36 is just cumbersome and hard on the lawns. I only use it for lawns that are wide open and large. Then it really does come in handy and worth it's weight in gold.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
But so many of my yards are small and my toro 36 is just cumbersome and hard on the lawns. I only use it for lawns that are wide open and large. Then it really does come in handy and worth it's weight in gold.

Well, to each their own. My yards are small and weird shaped, as well... but I still go with the 36". Maybe I'm just too lazy, I don't know... I just don't find the obstacles to be a big deal... I'm content to ride the sulky.

cgaengineer
03-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Buy a 36" ZTR for a little bit more maybe?

A ZTR is not an option on a small lawn like the OP mentioned...you will get rutting.

willretire@40
04-05-2008, 06:25 PM
I have used a Toro 32" belt drive before. Now I have 3 quick36 in my fleet.