PDA

View Full Version : Is this true about gravely and blades?

lonnie
03-28-2008, 01:58 AM
I went to buy some gravely blades from one of my local gravely dealers. I wanted oem but he had some oem and some stens blades. He said that gravely owns stens and that they are the same blade. I thought that gravely used a different kind of steel for their blades. Is the dealer right?

Roger
03-28-2008, 08:01 AM
I don't know about which blades might be used on the Gravely mowers. But, Ariens owns Gravely and Stens. See link:

http://www.ariens.com/corporate/OurBrands.aspx

jdramr4
03-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I use Exmark blades on my 148z.

lonnie
03-28-2008, 09:50 AM
how do those exmark blades hold up? Do you use high lift or mulch? He also told me that when you use the baffled mulch kit, high lift works just as well as the mulch blade because the tip of the blade does most of the cutting. Is there truth in this?

pyromedic
03-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Just started cutting this year and I was hoping that over the winter my new Z would improve its cut quality and to keep the underside of the deck clean. I mowed some early TX broadleaf weeds and a bit of rye grass with nothing too tall. Running fairly fast I left most of the dandelions with stems but no fuzzy. I have tried the double blade kit, somewhat better cut but nearly killed the mower at 3/4 throttle . I will be getting some of the highlift Exmark blades, I now wish I would have went with the Exmark HP with a lesser engine, lesser seat in order to get the higher quality cut at the same price. I should not have to buy another mfgs. blades to get a decent cut. I appreciate the comments.

Stay safe and everyone goes home.

pyromedic

ProStreetCamaro
03-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Just started cutting this year and I was hoping that over the winter my new Z would improve its cut quality and to keep the underside of the deck clean. I mowed some early TX broadleaf weeds and a bit of rye grass with nothing too tall. Running fairly fast I left most of the dandelions with stems but no fuzzy. I have tried the double blade kit, somewhat better cut but nearly killed the mower at 3/4 throttle . I will be getting some of the highlift Exmark blades, I now wish I would have went with the Exmark HP with a lesser engine, lesser seat in order to get the higher quality cut at the same price. I should not have to buy another mfgs. blades to get a decent cut. I appreciate the comments.

Stay safe and everyone goes home.

pyromedic

There is something wrong with your machine if it has a poor quality of cut. Sounds like the deck isnt pitched properly. Our X-Factor deck cuts everything we throw at it nice and smooth like a carpet.

pyromedic
04-01-2008, 02:28 AM
Thanks I am feeling that way too, I will get back with the outfit I bought it from and Gravely to come to some type of resolution. The machine is sweet in all other areas but crap it does have to cut at a decent clip or there is no need to be fast, Stay safe and I appreciate the suggestions.