PDA

View Full Version : Question for those asking about big account pricing

lawnman_scott
03-28-2008, 03:07 AM
For those who have asked about a big account, and how to price it this year, how many have actually got the account? I just feel that if you cant figure out the pricing, maybe its just over your haead at this time.

lawnman_scott
03-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Another thing, I find it odd that this thread has got the intrest of 29 people, yet no responce. Is it that everyone who looked was just curious like me, or that there are alot of new hguys that dont want to awnser the poll? Odd.

meets1
03-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Maybe by big accounts you should state 5K and over or 10 acres and over. I share your interest with all those questions about pricing, what equipment to use, how to get the account, I am mowing 29 acres right now but want to give it up cuz I only have 72 Z and it takes to long to complete, how big of trailer might I need or will my s-10 and 6x12 trailer work? The list goes on but really, where do some of these guys come from? Some say residential is awesome and money maker, others good after large acre mowing cuz that is there niche market, while other are complaining about getting the account/not getting account and saying they hate have there eggs in one basket if they loss this 29 acre account b/c it stands for 50% of there business.

Hate to hijack your thread, but really I see and read alot fo these guys on here saying your to high, I lower my price to get the work from you, yet there the ones askiing how much to charge type of questions. Then I see they are new, maybe only 10 post and then there mouthing off cuz they have no over head and there 17-18 years old.

There have a few great threads on here lately but after they chime in about the old timers, which I think is anyone in business for more than 2-3 years, they start in about lowering price, better equipment cuz there stuff is new, they have 150 accounts from 1000K to 50 acres of mowing - then they share there equipment list and I am like - whatever people. That type of responce ends my interest in the thread - a bunch of high school want to be's playing mister big shot, saying there in this business but they are going pre-med.

Maybe we need cencership or age limits on here. Then there is the whole issue of insurance, binding contracts with a minor. OR you get the 12 year old sharing pictures of 100K of equipment and a 200K shop - then about page 4 he states he is driven around by parents, or he just cut down a 50ft tree with his little sthil 16 inch 40cc chain saw.

So interesting thread you started. I will check in later tonight to see where this thread has been taken! To all those that are seasoned - yes we started somewhere. The younger men -your still starting. To me that is saying I was driving when I was 6 - maybe in the backseat but I was telling dad how to drive!

smcunningham
03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
This is going to be good thread.

kc2006
03-28-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm lost. what thread is this thread pertaining to?

I'm sensing there was a big heated arguement in another thread that lead to this one?

Maybe all the seasoned vets need to start pulling together for when someone asks what they should bid and do the good ol "Know your cost, then figure how much profit you want and bid it accordingly" :)

lawnman_scott
03-28-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm lost. what thread is this thread pertaining to?

I'm sensing there was a big heated arguement in another thread that lead to this one?

Maybe all the seasoned vets need to start pulling together for when someone asks what they should bid and do the good ol "Know your cost, then figure how much profit you want and bid it accordingly" :)Its not pertaining to anything, but here is the point. If you have to come here and decribe an account you want to bid on to find out what to bid, well then maybe its just a waste of your time. In my opinion its best to start with residentials till you get a feel of what your doing, and how long things take and what they will cost. I am just willing to bet all these guys with the "what do I chagre" threads didnt get any of those accounts. Besides there is more to it than how big it is.

lawnwizards
03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Its not pertaining to anything, but here is the point. If you have to come here and decribe an account you want to bid on to find out what to bid, well then maybe its just a waste of your time.

BINGO! thats the easiest way to find out if someone has any experience or not. if they dont know what to charge, then how do they know if they are making any money?

sweetz
07-14-2008, 03:18 AM
BINGO! thats the easiest way to find out if someone has any experience or not. if they dont know what to charge, then how do they know if they are making any money?

Exactly!!! I'm still working on my pricing skills after about 1 1/2 years of doing this full-time & going to Horticulture & Nursery Operations schooling for about 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm making money, but some of my pricing on big jobs or jobs other than mowing & trimming bushes/trees still needs some work. So, yes, if you ask how much to charge (like I have), you haven't been in this business that long (full time for a living) or you just want to underbid everyone because your parents are buying everything for you & you have no costs or very little costs. IMHO.