PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with dealers please help.

Frue
03-28-2008, 09:30 AM
OK I give up! Here is the story a friend of mine buys a mower picks it up and takes it home. Now I go out and look at it notice it is leaking oil from the hydro filiter or line. I told him take it back and get it fix. The gas gage was also not working. He paid 12,000 for it and some change.

Now it gets good the dealer came and picked it up on thursday. It has been a week so he calls up and the dealer says I cant even look at it until next week that will be 2 weeks without a brand new mower.

I am at a loss for words I know I am hard on dealers ex this one who by the way kept my mowers for 6 and 10 days for warranty work. Question is, this is the biggest dealer in the area and maybe this side of the state what can you do when there is nobody else to service your machine for warranty work?

IN2MOWN
03-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Call the manufacturer and let them know what is going on with their dealer.

wheels910
03-28-2008, 11:20 AM
don't know if you dealt with a salesperson, but sometimes they can persuade the mechanic to hurry up if you know what i mean

Scagguy
03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I would be in the dealers face big time. He would either give me a refund or another new mower, or put this one in front of the line to be fixed and give me a demo while it was being repaired. Wait two weeks? That's bs ....it ain't going to happen.

Big C
03-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Sell that sucker and swap to a brand that another dealer in your area sells

yungman
03-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Demand to exchange it. I won't even want them to fix it. It is new.

Texas Mower Parts
03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Call the manufacturer and let them know what is going on with their dealer.

I agree!:clapping:

mowerbrad
03-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I'd be pressuring the dealer to get it done quickly. I had some warrenty work done on my mower in the fall and the dealer had it for 7 days. I had told them that I needed it as soon as possible cause I had jobs to do, they told me it would be looked at on the day a brought it in (Monday) but didn't until Thursday. They finally ordered the new engine and got that in on Friday. They then told me that it would be done by the end of the day on Friday or in the morning on Saturday. Neither of those were true. I finally got it back on Monday. They didn't have a demo mower for me to use and I do most of my lawns on the weekend too so I was busy for a while. You just have to keep reminding them that you need the mower and can't wait.

Frue
03-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I agree!:clapping:

You think the manufactor cares if they are selling more than any dealer within a 100 miles? I dont. I go up there today with my friend. right now If I brake down today They cannot look at it until april 9th.

This predicament is the reason why bop is going to take over. Who wants to deal with guys who will not service the very machines they sell.

pjslawncare/landscap
03-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Insist on a loaner till they fix yours

js.lawn
03-28-2008, 09:08 PM
i like this one but when i bought my first second third fourth and fifth mowers it was in writing that if any one of my mowers went in for warranty work they have to give me a loaner untell mine is done and guess what they didn't have one to give me so i said u better get the one on the floor ready for me to pick up I'm on my way there and reminded him about what we had wrote in a contract well he had the one on the floor ready for me to pick up when i got there to me that's dealer support

WildLake
03-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Just think about what time of year it is. You have to keep calling, don't take "no" for an answer, they will get something simple like that done just to shut you up. I probably would have had them drop off another new one and keep the original mower.

LwnmwrMan22
03-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Okay... here's the deal.

For you guys that are whining about not having any dealer support.

Do you have a backup mower??

Do you even consider looking at dealer's service departments and getting references for work before you buy a piece of equipment??

Everyone talks about how you can get a cheap piece of equipment here, there, wherever, but no one ever says "I don't care how much I pay for the machine, who has the best dealer support in my area??"

I have 2 of everything and my dealer drops everything to get to my equipment when I come in.

Now, with that said. I also have a commercial dealer, has $10k+ of parts on hand, but he doesn't really want to do service work. He also says that up front. He's a dealer that deals mostly with commercial customers, but it's one where the big companies with their own mechanics go to, if you understand what I'm saying.

Now, with THAT said. About the comment with BOP. Yes and no. I can agree they COULD take over the walk-behind market, but only for those that use websites like this.

Until they get to where they have dealers, or something along those lines, I don't see how people other than are on here, go to expos, get direct mailings because they've either been on here or have gone to expos are ever going to know BOP exists, other than "google".

One last thing. You all have to realize that this time of year is probably the busiest for the service departments.

If the dealer wouldn't fix that hydo line immediately, the next best answer would have been to park the truck and trailer across the entrance to the dealer.

See how long it takes the police to get there and settle the dispute that way.

7 IRON
03-28-2008, 10:34 PM
*trucewhiteflag*

yungman
03-28-2008, 11:20 PM
That is the reason I am not going to be loyal blindly to the dealer, I would try to give them business, but if the price is too big a difference, I'll go other rout. Life is too short.

I just bought a Mantis Honda direct from Mantis. The dealer can't match the price, never mind the no sales tax, free shipping, free edger, free kick stand and one year return policy. Hey you can only support them so much, this case, it is too much.

Remember, it is your hard earn money too, they have to earn it. In this case, it you buy in big company like home crapo, you can demand them to do something or there is hell to pay. This kind of small dealer, what can you do? You can raise holy hell, if that helps.

ed2hess
03-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Why not just fix it yourself....sometimes you will find that is much simpler than fooling around taking stuff to dealer, waiting , then picking it up.

Frue
03-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Why not just fix it yourself....sometimes you will find that is much simpler than fooling around taking stuff to dealer, waiting , then picking it up.

I have two of everything. The rreason is it is bramd new I should be able to get on this thing and cut some grass. fro 12400 you better believe they are fixing it.

Charles
03-29-2008, 07:57 AM
2 weeks is the standard reply from my dealer too. Many times, I coerced them into repairing my stuff the same day. "Are you going to leave it with us?" "No I will waite and stare at you(and bug your mechanics) until it is fixed":laugh:
Brand new should get you ahead of the line imo. You just got to make a scene in their place of business. "I just bought this high dollar mower and I need it back today!!!" "I am not leaving....."
I repair my old stuff, if at all possible, now to avoid the dealer twilight zone. Their mechanics should get incentive pay to get things done quickly

Atlantic Lawn
03-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Yea, man if they won't give you a loaner what's the point in buying from them ? You should be at the front of the service line....like same day !

bigclawn
03-29-2008, 10:43 AM
A good customer usually gets good service. Good business people, on both sides of the able usually can work things out in a mutually agreeable manner.

A customer with a 'tude will not get the same service.

A customer that's an a'hole get's what he deserves.

Just because you buy something from your dealer does not mean he is your slave or personal servant.

Treat your dealer with the ame respect you treat your own clients and you will be rewarded!

lawnman_scott
03-29-2008, 11:52 AM
You think the manufactor cares if they are selling more than any dealer within a 100 miles? I dont. I go up there today with my friend. right now If I brake down today They cannot look at it until april 9th.

That is very true. I flat out refuse to go to a dealer around here, I will actually drive farther to go to a little mower shop that doesnt have nearly the business, but they will get you in and out in 1 day always. I do most stuff myself, but if I dont it is always very quick. The bigger dealers dont need you, and they know it, and treat you like it.

lawnman_scott
03-29-2008, 11:54 AM
i like this one but when i bought my first second third fourth and fifth mowers it was in writing that if any one of my mowers went in for warranty work they have to give me a loaner untell mine is done and guess what they didn't have one to give me so i said u better get the one on the floor ready for me to pick up I'm on my way there and reminded him about what we had wrote in a contract well he had the one on the floor ready for me to pick up when i got there to me that's dealer supportIs that dealer support, or a dealer who had his hand forced by the guy with the written contract? I mean, do you think he would have offered a floor model if you had not mentioned the contract?

lawnman_scott
03-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I have 2 of everything and my dealer drops everything to get to my equipment when I come in.
I dont get this either. If I went to get something fixed and they put something in front of me, that would be my last visit there. There is no need to "drop everything". I go to a small redneck mower shop with 2 mechanics. One guy works on major stuff, and the other fixes the smaller stuff as in comes in. I have never had my mower in that shop for more than 1 night. Sometimes if it goes in in the am it is out by the end of the day. I guess you could save $400 on a new mower somewhere, but when its broke down, the $400 saved isnt that great of a deal.

delphied
03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
OK I give up! Here is the story a friend of mine buys a mower picks it up and takes it home. Now I go out and look at it notice it is leaking oil from the hydro filiter or line. I told him take it back and get it fix. The gas gage was also not working. He paid 12,000 for it and some change.

Now it gets good the dealer came and picked it up on thursday. It has been a week so he calls up and the dealer says I cant even look at it until next week that will be 2 weeks without a brand new mower.

I am at a loss for words I know I am hard on dealers ex this one who by the way kept my mowers for 6 and 10 days for warranty work. Question is, this is the biggest dealer in the area and maybe this side of the state what can you do when there is nobody else to service your machine for warranty work?

You and I have posted in dealer discussions before. You know what the guys say. Buy him some champagne at Christmas or drop in with $50 gift certificates for the crew. They say dealers really have it bad. They dont make much money and they are really in it just to do what they can for the customer. I would call the rep for sure and ask him whose ass has to get kissed to have a brand new mower fixed in a timely fashion. And be nice to him too because Im sure they are underpaid as well.

js.lawn
03-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Is that dealer support, or a dealer who had his hand forced by the guy with the written contract? I mean, do you think he would have offered a floor model if you had not mentioned the contract?

I THINK HE WOULD OF BUT REALLY DONT KNOW AFTER SPENDING 50.000 DALLORS THERE YOU WOULD HE WOULD OF TO KEEP ME COMING BACK THERE AND THAT WAS A BIG CONCERN OF MINE THATS WHY IT WAS PUT IN A CONTRACT EVEN WITHOUT THAT I DO THINK HE WOULD OF JUST HAVE TO YELL A LITTLE MORE AND REMIND HIM OF WHAT I SPEND THERE I DO RELIZE I HAVE MORE PUSH THEN SOME OF YOU GUYS THAT BUY 1 MOWER EVERY 3 OR 4 YEARS BUT IT IS ALL THE SAME I JUST BUY 4 OR 5 AT A TIME I BETTER GET SOME KIND OF SUPPORT FROM THEM AND ALSO THERE ARE ALOT OF DEALERS HERE AND THEY KNOW THAT TOO ABOUT 4 IN EVERY TOWN

ed2hess
03-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I have two of everything. The rreason is it is bramd new I should be able to get on this thing and cut some grass. fro 12400 you better believe they are fixing it.

Well if it makes you feel better............don't burn any bridges that you might need down the line.

cantoo
03-29-2008, 10:53 PM
When I bought my Walker new I spent more time in the back shop talking to the mechanic and parts guy than I did the sales man. As luck would have it I never needed to use the shop more than one time but that one time I was not worried about getting mine back quick. They were close on the price but the parts they stocked and the few questions I asked the mechanic made the sale.
http://www.kitchenertractor.com/

DJL50
03-29-2008, 11:07 PM
You guys have it good. I live in the east side of Cincinnati. In the dead of winter the mower shops around here are backed up 4 weeks. I needed a carb cleaned in May and one of the biggest dealers around here (Clermont County Equipment) took 9 weeks. How in the hell can a mower shop be so backed up??? (Oh, They sell Cub's :laugh: )My guess I was put to the back of the line because it was a cheap homeowners model. Little did they know I was looking to test there service time before I purchased my ZTR. Needless to say I purchased it at another dealer but there service is no better.

Frue
03-29-2008, 11:22 PM
So what I am reading is its everywhere!!!!!!!!!

bigclawn
03-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Anyone who follows OPE industries knows there is a serious shortage of qualified service technicians, countrywide. Those dealers that have good mechanics pay very well and virtually KA to keep them.
A good shop is a busy shop. A lot of problems LCO's show up with in the spring wanting ASAP service originated and were known problems back in November when the crew was "shutting down" for the winter. Now it's close to "season"-------now the broken equipment is brought out and all of the sudden it's an emergency...........

retrodog
03-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Just call the mower manufactures and let them know there is a problem. The last thing a dealer wants is the manufacture to get involved. I promise you will have a one day turn around if you call them directly!

delphied
03-30-2008, 12:25 AM
I still say buyem a steak dinner. Thats what I heard works best on here.

Mow N GO 06
03-30-2008, 12:49 AM
I THINK HE WOULD OF BUT REALLY DONT KNOW AFTER SPENDING 50.000 DALLORS THERE YOU WOULD HE WOULD OF TO KEEP ME COMING BACK THERE AND THAT WAS A BIG CONCERN OF MINE THATS WHY IT WAS PUT IN A CONTRACT EVEN WITHOUT THAT I DO THINK HE WOULD OF JUST HAVE TO YELL A LITTLE MORE AND REMIND HIM OF WHAT I SPEND THERE I DO RELIZE I HAVE MORE PUSH THEN SOME OF YOU GUYS THAT BUY 1 MOWER EVERY 3 OR 4 YEARS BUT IT IS ALL THE SAME I JUST BUY 4 OR 5 AT A TIME I BETTER GET SOME KIND OF SUPPORT FROM THEM AND ALSO THERE ARE ALOT OF DEALERS HERE AND THEY KNOW THAT TOO ABOUT 4 IN EVERY TOWN

So What? You spent nearly 4 weeks beating down your dealer to bare pennies. You bought 4 or 12 mowers, so what...you type in all CAPS, expect the world to stop for you, give orders, demand respect, flaunt your earnings, attempt to immidate. What is your point? Your bought your mowers at near dealer cost. DUH!! I say you go to the end of theh line and stay there. You are a typical LCO *******. Bye!!

Mow N GO 06
03-30-2008, 01:00 AM

Remember the money you saved on that new shiny mower? Remember how you treated your dealer " before" the sell"? Remember how cocky you was while in the show room? But more importantly, remember your posts on other threads bragging about how much money you made on a job? Dealers are the largest group of people reading this complete BS!!! Back of line bud!! We make more on the homeowner as well. Yes, we do have a few LCO's that we cater to, but should I mention that that are NOT JERKS!!! They know how to do business!!

Mow N GO 06
03-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Anyone who follows OPE industries knows there is a serious shortage of qualified service technicians, countrywide. Those dealers that have good mechanics pay very well and virtually KA to keep them.
A good shop is a busy shop. A lot of problems LCO's show up with in the spring wanting ASAP service originated and were known problems back in November when the crew was "shutting down" for the winter. Now it's close to "season"-------now the broken equipment is brought out and all of the sudden it's an emergency...........

An emergency? Any good reputable LCO will have back-up equipment to deal with it. A smart LCO that buys from a reputable dealer will not need back-up equipment providing he is not an *******, demands low-ball pricing, demands first service, demands ANYTHING. Yes, those LCO's are the first in, first out. But remember, and never forget two things....you beat your dealer down to near cost and on another thread you bragged about how much money you made last year. A dealer knows what he needs to make on any particular piece to stay in business as an LCO knows what he needs to stay in business, You need parts overnight? No way!!! You saved like how much? You need to be fixed tomorrow? No way!! You saved like how much? You bought at dealer net? GOOOOOOOOOOOD. Don't expect the parade to stop for you while you fill the bank with cash. Back of the line for you. So lets say you paid what is needed to stay afloat, "Yes sir,, how can I help you?" Any questions????

Ed Ryder
03-30-2008, 02:41 AM
That dealer's priorities are screwed up. It should be fixed immediately.

Hmm...

It seems there is room for a new competitor in the lawn equipment sales and service arena in your area.

Perhaps this is something you might want to consider exploiting?

bigclawn
03-30-2008, 08:43 AM
for Mow N Go 06-------EXTREMELY WELL SAID!!!!

A lot of LCO's need to look in a mirror to see what kind of customers they really are!!

js.lawn
03-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Remember the money you saved on that new shiny mower? Remember how you treated your dealer " before" the sell"? Remember how cocky you was while in the show room? But more importantly, remember your posts on other threads bragging about how much money you made on a job? Dealers are the largest group of people reading this complete BS!!! Back of line bud!! We make more on the homeowner as well. Yes, we do have a few LCO's that we cater to, but should I mention that that are NOT JERKS!!! They know how to do business!!

boy don't think i said anything about being in the front of the line i was sayin that i need a mower when mine is in service dont care how long it takes to fix it just sayn i need the mower and the contract is not my deal its what they promise when u need service so maybe u should stay at the end of the line to get your stuff fixed if you don't push them they well take forever to fix and you said it everyone wants to be in the front of the line and if you don't push them you get pushed back further. I'm not one who sits on my equitment when needs to be fixed i took everything already this year to have things already this year and took them 1 1/2 weeks to do it

Mow N GO 06
04-01-2008, 02:42 AM
boy don't think i said anything about being in the front of the line i was sayin that i need a mower when mine is in service dont care how long it takes to fix it just sayn i need the mower and the contract is not my deal its what they promise when u need service so maybe u should stay at the end of the line to get your stuff fixed if you don't push them they well take forever to fix and you said it everyone wants to be in the front of the line and if you don't push them you get pushed back further. I'm not one who sits on my equitment when needs to be fixed i took everything already this year to have things already this year and took them 1 1/2 weeks to do it

Boy? Periods are our friend!! Your post looks like your old beat-up gear drive walk-behind and makes me laugh at your low-ball pricing. Remember, periods are our friends. Your calculations and quotes will look soooo much better. Have a good night and use proper grammer and text. Boy?? LOL

tallimeca
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Frue,
You and I have had our share of debates when it comes to dealers. However, in this case......this is total B.S.!!

A brand new machine goes out the door with an issue, it should be fixed THAT DAY......unless they had to overnight or 2nd day air parts in, however, 3 days MAX.

Guys like this give us dealers bad names. Forget the big dealerships guys. Yeah, you might save on price because they move volumes of equipment, but look what happens. YOU ARE a number, not a customer. I'd bet my life if this was a smaller dealer, you might have paid more for the machine, but you wouldn't be waiting for it to come back from the shop.

Good luck!!!

js.lawn
04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Boy? Periods are our friend!! Your post looks like your old beat-up gear drive walk-behind and makes me laugh at your low-ball pricing. Remember, periods are our friends. Your calculations and quotes will look soooo much better. Have a good night and use proper grammer and text. Boy?? LOL

not out to impress you so dont be a donk

jkingrph
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Had that problem about 20 years ago, Local tire dealer got into mower garden tractor business with cub cadet. I bought a mid grade lawn tractor and electric clutch burns out at about 5 hours. They pick it up, and I check a couple of days later, nothing done then start giving excuses about having to get brake jobs done. I said look, I just spent 3200 with you fix my xxx mower and now. They did.

js.lawn
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Had that problem about 20 years ago, Local tire dealer got into mower garden tractor business with cub cadet. I bought a mid grade lawn tractor and electric clutch burns out at about 5 hours. They pick it up, and I check a couple of days later, nothing done then start giving excuses about having to get brake jobs done. I said look, I just spent 3200 with you fix my xxx mower and now. They did.

this is what im talkin about if you dont push alittle you well be put in the end of the line

tallimeca
04-01-2008, 02:12 PM
this is what im talkin about if you dont push alittle you well be put in the end of the line

Just giving you a heads up, approach is everything. There's nothing wrong with turning up the heat, but do it in a nice way.

If your an ass about it, pushing will put you at the end of the line.

You get more with being sugar then you do with salt. Take it for what you want.

"Jeez, i just invested $$$$ with you folks and trusted you'd provide good service but i'm a little disappointed with the way this is being handled. It's a brand new machine and i'd expect that there would be a little more priority on getting it out the door, so that's what i'm asking" if you get no where, call the manufacturer and tell them what's going on. They will be on the phone with the dealer.

WILL WORK BETTER THAN

"WTF? , i just dropped $$$ in your pocked and the *&@#! piece of **** broke on me already and you guys have your head up you ass because i'm still without the machine. I should have never bought it from you because your service sucks and i'll never buy anything ever again"

Frue
04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Nice points. I just went around today to the smaller dealers and am trying to build a repor for parts and labor. I have one for the engine work and only have a year left on the warranty of my ferris. They said they will service my ferris for me after warantys up.

The big dealer does have better pricing but service is in left field. Thanks guys.

lawnwizards
04-01-2008, 03:49 PM
i think the main thing is who you talk to. if you talk to the cashier or someone with little pull, then you will get put to the back of the line. if you talk to the sales person who sold you the machine, they will do their best to get you bumped up. i'm always courteous to my dealer and my sales person and they take care of me.
this scenerio is like a customer wanting their lawn bumped up to an earlier day because they have a party or something but you already have a loaded schedule. the dealers are facing the same thing.

lhenryp1
04-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Apparently, you do not know how to earn respect without pushing.

js.lawn
04-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Apparently, you do not know how to earn respect without pushing.

business is business