PDA

View Full Version : MTD Transmission

gamekeeper
03-28-2008, 10:47 AM
MTD are starting volume production of their Infinitrak TTT transmission. Does anyone know what models it is going to be sold in and when they will be available.

gamekeeper
05-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Well another 2 months has passed and as far as we know these transmissions are being produced in volume. They must be going into something. It's funny that envy lawn systems said they didn't think they would be used in a zero turn lawnmower when that it exactly what MTD plan to do.

gamekeeper
08-19-2008, 04:12 AM
You guys have dissapointed me. We now know some of these transmissions are out there and on sale. They are going to revolutionise the mower industry and you haven't seen or heard of them. They are out there, somewhere.

Richard Martin
08-19-2008, 05:55 AM
According to Torotrak's CEO (the actual builder of the transmission) MTD only bought a few of the TTT trannies. Current plans are for MTD to use the lightweight trannies in Cub Cadet units in 2009. MTD is actually looking for Torotrak to build a cheaper version of the TTT tranny.

I wouldn't look for this transmission to get widespread acceptance in the US commercial mower market anytime soon.

farmboy1285
08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
What is so special about it, does it make the mower levitate:laugh:
IMO a transmission is a transmission the design of the mower has a bigger effect than transmission. Maybe I am just misunderstanding something.

Richard Martin
08-20-2008, 03:15 AM
What is so special about it, does it make the mower levitate:laugh:

I'm not sure. We already have at least 3 manufacturers of infinately variable speed transmissions. MTD (Peerless) is one of them.

gamekeeper
09-08-2008, 09:07 AM
The way I see it being revolutionary is that it will be more fuel efficient which has to be a good thing, but mainly it will give you a very smooth ride with accurate control of speed both forwards, backwards and most of all swapping between the two. It will drive along slopes in a straight line and it won't be as messy as hydraulic systems can be.

The cutter cuts the grass, chops it, blows it, collects it or whatever else you want to do with it. The ability to have zero turn in a simple to use format that doesn't scuff the grass and that gives you a very smooth ride has to be good. They few that have seen and tried it are very impressed.

gamekeeper
09-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I notice you refer to it as being a lightweight tranny Richard. I would be interested to know where you got the idea it is lightweight from (presuming you are meaning low on power rather than just not being very heavy). The TTT is just one of a full range of IVT trasmissions developed by Torotrak, the largest of which operate on exactly the same principal and are capable of driving a tractor or Articulated Truck. The TTT itself was jointly developed by MTD so I am sure they sized it to be plenty big enough for their mowers. Just interested in where the comment came from.

Richard Martin
09-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I notice you refer to it as being a lightweight tranny Richard. I would be interested to know where you got the idea it is lightweight from (presuming you are meaning low on power rather than just not being very heavy). ...

The TTT itself was jointly developed by MTD so I am sure they sized it to be plenty big enough for their mowers. Just interested in where the comment came from.

You answered your own question. The fact that MTD is involved assures that they're barely making it strong enough to move a riding mower. The fact that MTD requested a cheaper version for production models should tell you something about MTD.

jrc lawncare
09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
You answered your own question. The fact that MTD is involved assures that they're barely making it strong enough to move a riding mower. The fact that MTD requested a cheaper version for production models should tell you something about MTD.Ding, ding, we have a winner......:)

gamekeeper
09-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Ooh Dear. I take it from that your not impressed with the quality of MTD's mowers. As I understand it the cheaper unit they are going to make isn't to replace the TTT as a cheaper version. The TTT is specifically to give the zero turn option and as such will be standard for that purpose. The cheaper one will be for most of their other models to give straight variable speed drive and that's why it can be cheaper, because it's simpler. At the same time it will give the superior fuel economy, smoother drive and better reliability. That's if you believe the hype, which from the sounds of it I suspect your are suspicious of where MTD are involved.

Richard Martin
09-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I can think of no professional lawn servicer that is impressed by anything that MTD builds. Even if they were to build something of a decent quality their reputation is so bad that it wouldn't sell to professionals anyway. Do a poll here at Lawnsite and find out for yourself.

gamekeeper
09-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Have you ever had anything to do with this companies products. http://www.advancedturftechnology.com/us/products.html.
They are using the same gearbox as the one we are hoping to eventually see in the cub cadets. You never know working with Torotrak may pull MTD,s standards up towards a level your are more used to accepting. It has taken them 2 years longer than it should have done to get the transmission to a level of quality acceptable to Torotrak. That level of atention to detail may rub off onto other areas of their production programs.

LushGreenLawn
09-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Do you work for MTD? If so and your on here pushing your products you should sign up as a sponser.

gamekeeper
09-11-2008, 06:52 AM
I can assure you I have no hidden agenda. I am a very long suffering holder of Torotrak shares who's gearboxes have been going to be fitted in all kinds of products for the last 5 years. These two mowers are the very first products to become commercial products using the transmission. For that reason I and many others are very keen to find out where they are being sold and what the market response is to them. If you all decide they are rubbish I will seriously consider selling my shares. That's why I originally found your site. I also happen to have about 2.5 acres of grass I cut regularly. I use a very old David Brown 880 selectamatic and a topper finisher to do the lions share of the work and I find your site intersting and informative.

Hawg City Lawns
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Do you work for MTD? If so and your on here pushing your products you should sign up as a sponser.

i was thinking the same thing:clapping:

gamekeeper
09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I also live and work in York, England. I shouldn't think there is anyone within 1000 miles of me that works for MTD.

BAKERS
09-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Everything MTD builds is absolute garbage, they are throwaway Walmart machines. I thought this was a commercial site?................

gamekeeper
03-13-2009, 04:43 AM
I just thought I would let you know that the transmission is finally being sold in the zero turn mower but it is being sold and badged as the craftsman zero turn revolution at Sears. Here in blighty we don't know much about Sears but don't they have a reputation for selling better quality equipment. Again I ask as a very long suffering Torotrak shareholder desperate to see our product finally being successfully sold.

Richard Martin
03-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Here in blighty we don't know much about Sears but don't they have a reputation for selling better quality equipment. Again I ask as a very long suffering Torotrak shareholder desperate to see our product finally being successfully sold.

Not really. Homeowners kinda like Sears but it's a rare day that you would see a professional dragging a Sears mower around. Sears mowers are built by whoever can build them for Sears the cheapest. AYP, Murray, MTD. They don't care.

gamekeeper
03-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for that. Just shows you can't believe all you read on the internet. Can't remember what I was looking at but it gave sears a good write up, probably something written by a sears rep.