PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer As Vs Scag Wildcat

NORTHMAN
03-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm trying to compare these two mowers and I need help please,the Exmark Laser AS,60" Ultra-Cut,28 hp Kawasaki,retail $8999,the Scag Wildcat,61" Velocity,27hp Kohler,retail $9600,I would get a bagger for either one and I'm sure I can do better on the price.Thanks for any help.

tacoma200
03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
The Lazer AS is a full size frame ZTR though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a regular Lazer (still has plenty). I usually compare a Lazer and a Turf Tiger. Nothing wrong with either unit but I've not driven the Wildcat. The decks are both good but cut differently. The Velocity plus cuts wet grass better but doesn't cut the clippings up as fine as the Ultra Cut. You've narrowed it down to a couple of good ZTR's.

ProStreetCamaro
03-28-2008, 01:02 PM
If a finely manicured lawn is what your looking for then get the UltraCut. It is tried and proven to cut our fine northern fescue carpet smooth. Tacoma is right on the money with what he said. May I also suggest taking a good hard look at a Gravely 160Z or 260Z. They both have the X-Factor deck which is right on par with the UltraCut but doesnt clump as bad as the UltraCut in wet conditions.

newtostone
03-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Those are two great mowers. I have a scag wildcat which has been good to me, very few times when something breaks. But just as everyone here has said the cut is a bit different, my friends with the lazer have a carpet finish, mine while it cuts everything well it doesnt cut perfect. I just bought a Lazer As with the 28 Kawi to improve cut quality as that’s something has always bothered me with scag. Ill be sure to let you know how the exmark cuts i know this saterday ill get about 6 hours in on it with some spring cleanups. I love doing a final mowing after we get everything sucked up. Just another thing to note, the lazer as has 12cc hydro pumps the wildcat has 10cc pumps (one of the few things that bugged me was the jittering while going up a hill full speed and under load, i would like to think that even though its only 2cc more the exmark with do that less often.) If you have any direct questions about the wildcat ask and ill answer what I can.

cybervision
03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
I was looking at both a Wildcat and a LazerZ with the Ultra Cut today. I thought I had my choices narrowed down to a 7IRONII or the Velocity decks but now I am not sure.

I am cutting a little over an acre on thick manicured lawn. I mostly have clay soil that does not drain so often I am cutting in damp or wet areas.

Here are my concerns from what I read and demoed:

1. The 7IRONII cuts and disperses the clippings very well but they are not chopped up at all.

2. The Ultra Cut does not do as well in damp grass. I am also not sure how well the Ultra Cut disperses and chops the clipping up.

3. The Velocity does not finish as well.

I have demoed the 7IRONII but have not demoed the other 2 yet. For my application I am trying to achieve a good cut on thick northeastern grass with the clippings cut up and dispersed well in both dry and wet condition. I will demo the other machines as soon as the grass grows again.

Any specific input on these maters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

tacoma200
03-28-2008, 05:22 PM
I was looking at both a Wildcat and a LazerZ with the Ultra Cut today. I thought I had my choices narrowed down to a 7IRONII or the Velocity decks but now I am not sure.

I am cutting a little over an acre on thick manicured lawn. I mostly have clay soil that does not drain so often I am cutting in damp or wet areas.

1. The 7IRONII cuts and disperses the clippings very well but they are not chopped up at all.

2. The Ultra Cut does not do as well in damp grass. I am also not sure how well the Ultra Cut disperses and chops the clipping up.

I have demoed the 7IRONII but have not demoed the other 2 yet. For my application I am trying to achieve a good cut on thick northeastern grass with the clippings cut up and dispersed well in both dry and wet condition. I will demo the other machines as soon as the grass grows again.

Thanks

The Ultra Cut will recycle the clipping more, especially with the notched high lift blades. It will not handle the wet grass as well as the other two. It should leave a more manicured look than the other 2 when dry with very small clippings. The Ultra Cut has more vacuum/lift than any deck I have used yet. You can go across a black top drive that has grass clippings on it and the Ultra Cut will suck them up and blow them a long distance (you can often use it in place of a hand blower) leaving a clean drive way behind it. While the Velocity plus deck kind of scatters the clippings to some extent. But then again it's a trade off, the Velocity Plus never clumps, handle the tall wet stuff, but the clippings are longer and with the larger discharge chutes the velocity/speed of air flow is less than the Ultra Cut but wider. I don't have first hand knowledge of of the 7 Iron II deck but base this on talking to owners and reading hundreds of post, it handles similar to the Velocity Plus.

tacoma200
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
The Ultra Cut will recycle the clipping more, especially with the notched high lift blades. It will not handle the wet grass as well as the other two. It should leave a more manicured look than the other 2 when dry with very small clippings. The Ultra Cut has more vacuum/lift than any deck I have used yet. You can go across a black top drive that has grass clippings on it and the Ultra Cut will suck them up and blow them a long distance (you can often use it in place of a hand blower) leaving a clean drive way behind it. While the Velocity plus deck kind of scatters the clippings to some extent. But then again it's a trade off, the Velocity Plus never clumps, handle the tall wet stuff, but the clippings are longer and with the larger discharge chutes the velocity/speed of air flow is less than the Ultra Cut but wider. I don't have first hand knowledge of of the 7 Iron II deck but base this on talking to owners and reading hundreds of post, it handles similar to the Velocity Plus.

Dry to normal grass, Ultra Cut excellent
Wet tall grass Ultra Cut may clump or clog
The Velocity Plus and 7 Iron II decks have the best reputation in wet tall grass but as you say the trade off is longer clippings but they are dispersed so well you don't notice them with the Velocity Plus.

greengiant9963
03-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks

I have run all three of the above 7iron, Ultra Cut and Velocity. For the best cut Ultra Cut is hard to beat. But anything long or on the wet side you will get alot of clumping. The 7 iron and Velocity give a good cut just not as smooth but both handle the tall wet stuff great. If I could only choose one it would be the Scag Velocity. Just my 2 cents.

tacoma200
03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I have run all three of the above 7iron, Ultra Cut and Velocity. For the best cut Ultra Cut is hard to beat. But anything long or on the wet side you will get alot of clumping. The 7 iron and Velocity give a good cut just not as smooth but both handle the tall wet stuff great. If I could only choose one it would be the Scag Velocity. Just my 2 cents.

From a man that's run all 3. I couldn't have said it better.

JJS
03-28-2008, 08:16 PM
i bought a exmark zero the second year it was out, i just sold it for 2500.00 last year a bought another one, w/ bagging system, go with the kohler engine with the largest horsepower you can get if your gonna put a bagger on it, the bagger draws on the horsepower while going up steep hills.

T Total Lawncare
03-28-2008, 09:31 PM
One thing that I noticed other day when looking at Exmarks that concerned me. Why are they cutting corners and putting plastic idlers on their new mowers? From a company like Exmark and it is considered to be one of the premium brands I would expect premium steel parts on anything having to do with the high stress parts of the deck. I expect plastic on a Murray or a Craftsman and not Exmark. The only thing I could guess is that their trying to save a buck or two.:nono: The plastic may not be a problem but it does look cheap and not for a company of their reputation.

NORTHMAN
03-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the help.I currently have a SCAG Tiger Cub with an Advantage deck with a bagger,I tried not bagging my accounts last year and was very unhappy with the result,how will the Ultra-Cut and the Velocity compare?I mow a good combination of accounts from thick grass to grass/weed mixture and I do mow wet grass.I would be interested in learning more about the Gravelys.

chuck bow
03-29-2008, 06:23 AM
That was the problem a few yrs ago when the (dis) advantage came out, no they have taken take of the problem with the Velo plus deck

cybervision
03-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Tocoma, GreenGiant,

Thanks for your input.
I did a demo last year on the 7IRONII and the cut was great. I am planning a demo with the 7IRONII MOD and Scag this spring. If the MOD works well it would make life easier for me but I am not holding out much hope. The opinions on the MOD are mixed. So it will be coming down to the Scag or JD. I was talking to the dealer and he said the Ultra cut left the nicest finish but I am rarely ever cutting under ideal conditions. My grass is always wet somewhere all spring long. I think I will try the JD MOD first and if it does a good job I may stop there. If not I will demo the Scag and decide between the standard 7IRONII and the SCAG. As far as the rest of the machines go I prefer the Scag over Deere.

Thanks again for your advice.

NORTHMAN
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
More than likely I'll stick with SCAG,the fact that the SCAG will do better on marginal lawns was enough to convince me,thankyou.

bigclawn
04-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Chevy--Ford---Dodge syndrome all over again

tacoma200
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Not saying one is better than the other but each one cuts different depending on the condition of the grass. He is concerned with cutting wet grass which isn't the Ultra Cuts strong point.

cybervision
04-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Chevy--Ford---Dodge syndrome all over again

How do you figure this when most of the advice is coming from owners of multiple brands?

I got some very useful advice. Thanks again, Tocoma & GreenGiant

bigclawn
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Sometimes to some people too much information is worse than none at all!

newtostone
04-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Alright i have both a lazer as and a wildcat, with a 28 kawi and a 27 kohler . I like the scag build better, its a far stronger construction and miles above exmark on that center of gravity and stability as far as hills. I have noticed that the hydro pumps on the exmark are a little stronger. As well as a far better cut. Ill see more and more over time how the two compare. but as of right now if i had some larger hills to work with / and or had to worry about people who arent used to using a ztr on hills i would go with scag hands down. never once have i felt as if i would tip the thing and yet several times i have had the exmark up on two wheels. But if you have the average lawn without any crazy hills or have a walk behind as well i would go with the exmark, it works a lot better $ wise and my dealer is great compared to scag. as well as a great cut and feeling much more agile. the scag makes me feel like i am driving a truck around the lawn. the exmark feels like a walk behind but still with me sitting down:cool2:.

cybervision
05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Tocoma,

Your assessment of the Ultra Cut and Velocity were right on.

I had my dealer bring over a 61” Wildcat yesterday. This dealer was smart though and brought along an Exmark AS so I was able to do a side-by-side test. My lawn is basically divided into 4 sections. I was able to cut half of each section with each machine. The deck performance of the UltraCut was superior to the Scag.

I thought the Scag was going to be a good choice for me because of wet grass conditions. The problem was the discharge was so great and full length it actually caused more problems. First, the clippings would not fall into my lawn because it is so thick. Second, I have a lot of odd shapes with extensive beds and other obstacles that the distance the discharge was being thrown was becoming a problem. I know there are ways around this. Third, the cut was worse than I expected. I thought since the deck was similar to the 7IRONII it would be better.

Anyway I just ordered a Lazer Z with a 61” Ultra Cut deck. I also sprang for the full suspension seat for a $300.00 up charge.

Another reason I was disappointed was because I just got a call from another dealer I spoke to earlier and they have a 2007 61”/27hp Wildcat still in the crate for $7,500.00, which is a steal. So if any wants a great deal on a Wildcat let me know.

james mcdonald
05-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Scagg Velocity Deck Owners: Do these decks leave uncut grass or stems under some conditions or just long clippings?

ProStreetCamaro
05-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Tocoma,

Your assessment of the Ultra Cut and Velocity were right on.

I had my dealer bring over a 61” Wildcat yesterday. This dealer was smart though and brought along an Exmark AS so I was able to do a side-by-side test. My lawn is basically divided into 4 sections. I was able to cut half of each section with each machine. The deck performance of the UltraCut was superior to the Scag.

I thought the Scag was going to be a good choice for me because of wet grass conditions. The problem was the discharge was so great and full length it actually caused more problems. First, the clippings would not fall into my lawn because it is so thick. Second, I have a lot of odd shapes with extensive beds and other obstacles that the distance the discharge was being thrown was becoming a problem. I know there are ways around this. Third, the cut was worse than I expected. I thought since the deck was similar to the 7IRONII it would be better.

Anyway I just ordered a Lazer Z with a 61” Ultra Cut deck. I also sprang for the full suspension seat for a $300.00 up charge.

Another reason I was disappointed was because I just got a call from another dealer I spoke to earlier and they have a 2007 61”/27hp Wildcat still in the crate for $7,500.00, which is a steal. So if any wants a great deal on a Wildcat let me know.

Good choice your going to love that lazer!

Mike Blevins
05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Scagg Velocity Deck Owners: Do these decks leave uncut grass or stems under some conditions or just long clippings?

My 61 velocity plus cuts great. It doesn't leave any uncut grass. It does leave longer pieces of grass but I think its a good trade off. You just can't get this deck to clog in wet grass. And with the adjustable baffle you can kinda taylor it to your needs.

greengiant9963
05-09-2008, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=cybervision;2312553]Tocoma,

I actually like the cut better on my Scag than my John Deere. but for a manicured lawn a exmark is hard to beat.

tacoma200
05-09-2008, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=cybervision;2312553]Tocoma,

I actually like the cut better on my Scag than my John Deere. but for a manicured lawn a exmark is hard to beat.

Of course I don't use the grass deflectors on but the Exmark throws clipping much further and higher than the Velocity as you would expect with the smaller opening and the fact the Utra Cut is a higher lift deck. The Velocity fans them low and wide, the Ultra cut throws them in a rooster tail type high arch. Yes Velocity clipping are longer but they do fall into the grass here and are not a concern. I do all kinds of tricks to keep it out of the landscaping area's including keeping the discharge pointing away as much as possible, slowing the rpm's when approaching a mulch bed, etc. To be honest I'm pretty good at it and it is also the reason I don't use a stripe kit. But if this ever becomes a bigger problem I will put a chute blocker on. As I've always said the Exmark is better at well maintained lawns under normal conditions, let the grass get out of control for a minute, and during this super lush Spring growth I had no choice but to use the Velocity most of the time. The Ultra Cut simply will not handle the volume, and high moisture content. A few long clippings is better than clumps and scraping the deck during these less than ideal times. Each deck has it's strong point and I can recommend both but in this case where the lawn is cut every week the Ultra Cut AS is just hard to beat over all for value. Now that the Spring growth is slowing I am on the Lazer more than usual. A very nice manicured lawn that gets close scrutiny will get the Lazer off the trailer in a hurry. It would be nice to have a deck that excels in both area's but I haven't found it yet. Both the Velocity and 7 Iron throw long clippings but it a nice trade off when needed. I used the Lazer on 2 acres Wednesday that I have had to use the Tiger on because of the fast growth rate and it was fairly dry. The smoothness of the Ultra Cut was obvious. I have been told it would look better to have just one brand of ZTR on the trailer but I like the combination I have now.

tallimeca
05-09-2008, 10:37 AM
the Lazer AS with the 28kawi is one of the best deals out there. We sell that model........and that's about it. Because of the price and options, it's hard to sell to a full Z or and HP model.

Either way you bend it, Exmark and Scag are probably making the 2 best Z riders on the market so either way, you will be ok.

NORTHMAN
08-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a few more questions,does one mower bag better than the other?The AS comes with narrower front wheel than the regular Z and the Wildcat,what is the negative of the AS tires?Would it be worth putting wider tires and forks on the AS?Thanks.

newtostone
08-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I dont think they need to be wider, as i did on mine just put the flat free and your good.

bare31
08-02-2008, 10:23 PM
same here. Sometimes in bahaia it will look like it is not quite cut but when you grab you'll see that it is. Great mower.