PDA

View Full Version : School bid?

kooba
03-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Having problems with this large bid. HEre it goes. We will be mowing all school grounds once a week roughly 4.5 acres. Then again we will mow football field and baseball field again because they water it. Thats roughly 6 acres total of mowing for the week. Give or take 1/2 acre. We will have two mowers a 54in and a 60in going at the same time. Not much trimming will have to be done. PS The 60inch mower is the schools and they want us to use it, its new last year. We will supply the gas for each mowing. The school will also maintain there lawnmower for breakdowns.

What would be a fair price to charge? kooba.

Lawnut101
03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, if that mower was yours you'd probably want to make $60/hr. So since it's someone elses mower but you have to provide gas, you could probably charge around $40-50hr. I'd personally bid around $40-45/hr, but I don't have high over head yet. Good luck to you.

LwnmwrMan22
03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Having problems with this large bid. HEre it goes. We will be mowing all school grounds once a week roughly 4.5 acres. Then again we will mow football field and baseball field again because they water it. Thats roughly 6 acres total of mowing for the week. Give or take 1/2 acre. We will have two mowers a 54in and a 60in going at the same time. Not much trimming will have to be done. PS The 60inch mower is the schools and they want us to use it, its new last year. We will supply the gas for each mowing. The school will also maintain there lawnmower for breakdowns.

What would be a fair price to charge? kooba.

Couple of things......

Are you sure it's only six acres?

Secondly, a mower should use no more than 2 gallons per hour, so that would be an extra 6 - 8 bucks per hour to charge over an hourly wage for your area.

Are you resposible for repairs to that mower?

I personally would try to just buy te mower outright rather than work like that.

As for mowing, if it's only 4-6 acres of turf, I would bid it out at around $100 per cut, using their equipment before yours.

Runner
03-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Good luck with THAT. You will be an hourly employee. Don't look for any high dollar in doing this, because if you don't do it, someone else will step up to the plate or 7 bucks an hour.

heather lawn sp
03-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Normally 6 acres would be $110 to $120 per cut , but since one of the machines is the school's, one or two hours of wear and tear on their own machine is worth the $10 to $20. Yes $100 would be a good price to start, depending on other things such as ditches, hills, and large amounts of trimming.

meets1
03-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Assuming 6 acres - decent mowing, Our rates in my area - $90 - $110. Not that much mowing really - assuming you know your prices and have the equipment. IF school stuff - I would watch it cuz your an hourly employee. Best of luck and let us know.

kooba
03-28-2008, 10:21 PM
We won't be an hourly employee. We plan on bidding it higher than what some of you have given us. I will let you know how it goes when we get the bid.
kooba.

LwnmwrMan22
03-28-2008, 10:23 PM
We won't be an hourly employee. We plan on bidding it higher than what some of you have given us. I will let you know how it goes when we get the bid.
kooba.

Where in MN is this school?? Public or Private?

kooba
03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
lawnmrman22, public school

you guys are saying to start at $100 for 6 acres of mowing? Your crazy

I'm thinking of the $45-$50 an hr for the two of us together is close.

LwnmwrMan22
03-28-2008, 10:58 PM
lawnmrman22, public school

you guys are saying to start at $100 for 6 acres of mowing? Your crazy

I'm thinking of the $45-$50 an hr for the two of us together is close.

Okay, either you don't know what 6 acres is, or you don't know how long 6 acres is going to take.

2 of you should be easily mowing 6 acres at a school, within an hour to hour and 1/2, so your $50 per hour would be right around $75-100.

I only say you don't know what 6 acres is, because you obviously think my price is crazy. I don't know if you think it's crazy low, or crazy high. If you think it's crazy low, then I'd say you're probably way undermeasurement. If you think it's crazy high, then I probably am, but I also don't do stuff to break even either.