PDA

View Full Version : Another Dealing w/Dealers what to do??

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Well guys the mowing season is almost upon us and now is the time to get screwed around by dealers. Anyways I went up to my dealer to get my mower serviced and check over i also ordered new bags for the bagging system. Well i got my price and gave him my card and he swiped it it took a little longer than most and then told me i didn't go through and he swiped it again. He came back and told me that the card was declined i said that couldn't be cause i just deposited money in their yesterday. Anyways i said ok and go outside call my bank and ask them if this transaction as gone thru and before i even mentioned the dealers name they told me right off the bat how much it was and what time it went thru. I said ok and i asked the bank to stay on the line and talk to the guy and tell him it went thru and they did. Well after he gets off the phone with the bank he tells me that there is nothing he can do until i pay the money i owe him. I said i did pay u the money and the bank said i did. And he got this attitude and said i will order your parts but you until you pay im keeping your mower???:confused: I said do what?? and i told him if i came up there with my bank statement can i get my parts and my mower he said no he has to have a deposit from the credit card machine. So now i got yards to do this week and all i got left is my 32 hydro to do all these yards and im pretty much screwed. What would yall do about this??? any help would be appreciated and also sorry for the long story.
Im almost tempted to call my lawyer and ask him what to do.

JimmyStew
03-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I say call the police - sounds like he's stealing your mower!

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 12:18 PM
You know i never thought about that. The thing that sucks about this dealer is he is the only one around my area that i can get parts for my mowers. Next year im switching to exmark or Toro.

wheels910
03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
he needs to call his credit card processor and get his system straightened out. in the meantime, call the police and get your mower. don't mess around. i'd start taking my stuff to the next closest dealer. forget him.

in the process, i'd get a refund and tell him to forget the parts, you don't need em anymore

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Im gona go up there with my bank statement saying i payed it and it went thru and if he dont go for it then im getting my lawyer. Like i said before he is the only dealer in my area the only other is in NC. And next season im starting fresh with exmark or toro. Im also gona try and talk to the owner of the establishment and see what can be done.

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
I talked to my bank and they said that they will reimburse me my money so i dont get screwed out of 287.00 but now im going back and forth with this guy about getting my mower back.

Lawn-Sharks
03-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Did you sign a work order? if you didn't then go get you mower free of charge..they have to have a signed work order giving them permission to do the work & that you would pay for the parts & Labor if you didnt sign anything then call the cops and demand your mower back and you'll get it theirs nothing the dealer can do.Just tell the police that he's trying to keep you mower because of false charges...That will burn the shop owners A$$.. let'em know to can play this game!!

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I did sign a work order for them to service and check my mower over. Thats not the problem the problem is i payed for the 45.00, up front and the rest was for the bags i ordered.

mowerbrad
03-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd call your lawyer and get your mower back. Especially since your transaction did go through there should be no reason for them to keep your mower. Since talking with the bank didn't seem to clear everything up for the dealer, maybe talking to a lawyer would.

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
yea thats what i think im gona have to do. I just hate to go thru all that with court and all that takes time away from my business but it also could benefit for my case. Sue him for emotional distress, slowing my business down, and taking money away.

Toad
03-28-2008, 05:51 PM
I would not have left the place without my machine. No ifs ands or butt s!! That would never happen around here, a dealer would be out of buisness fast. I cant believe your letting him jerk you around like that! OK I m getting mad got to go.

davink
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
If the bank is willing to cancel the transaction and give you a stament / reciept that they did so, and you are NOT incurring charges from your bank for doing this, then why not just make sure that the transaction is canceled, and bring him cash... Also tell him that he needs to work on his customer service, and get his credit card machine fixed, and personnally I would only pay for the mower service, and not the bags, and then I would find another dealer. But I also understand not wanting to drive for another.... Good luck with it!

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 06:03 PM
thanks guys i appreciate all the support

thegreensideup
03-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I have a merchant account so I can tell you this for a fact. Everytime a card is swiped through the machine it holds that amount of money for the vendor whether the transaction is approved or declined. If you call your bank back in three days or so you may find out the charge did not go through. The bank should tell people this but they never do.

HOOLIE
03-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Hiring a lawyer over a $287 bill??? How much do you think your lawyer will end up costing you? :laugh:

Now people will do weird things but I sort of doubt, as busy as it is this time of year, that this dealer would just suddenly decide "hey, I'll pretend the card was declined and keep his mower" If it were me, and the card was declined, I'd be hesitant to take the word of someone over the phone. I'm sure many of us would.

Call your bank, get the transaction cancelled, and take out cash, get your mower back and be done with it.

WildLake
03-28-2008, 07:39 PM
This makes no sense. If trans was declined he should have showed you a receipt saying so. Sounds like a problem with the merchant account, it happens. Just cancel the transaction and pay cash.

GravelyNut
03-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Also inform the BBB if you have one in the area.

GravelyNut
03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I have a merchant account so I can tell you this for a fact. Everytime a card is swiped through the machine it holds that amount of money for the vendor whether the transaction is approved or declined. If you call your bank back in three days or so you may find out the charge did not go through. The bank should tell people this but they never do.

And his machine should have printed a record of it being declined. If he can't show it to the customer, it wasn't.

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 08:50 PM
The first time he swiped the card it took awhile but he immediately said it didn't go thru and said try it again. he swiped it again and said it was declined. I said ok im gona check into that and see whats up. I called my bank and said has this transaction gone thru they said yea gave me the time, and date and the amount. I said ok can u tell the guy that it went thru they said yea. After they tell him he said there is nothing he can do about it and can't accept it. I told him after a couple of days if i came up there with my statement will he accept it he said no. he needs a deposit slip from the credit card machine im guessing that the machine is messed up i dont know. He said until i pay the balance he is keeping my mower. and thats were i am now. Im not doing the lawyer thing i thought about it and its not worth it to waste time and alot more money than by bill that is supposedly owed.

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 08:52 PM
And yes the second time he showed me a recipt that it was declined not the first time.

GravelyNut
03-28-2008, 08:57 PM
And yes the second time he showed me a recipt that it was declined not the first time.

Sometimes a charge will be declined on the second try because it was accepted the first time. It looks to the CC company like double billing.

corbster
03-28-2008, 08:58 PM

I should of showed declined the second time ...because it worked the first time and it's a safty net set up so customers will not get doubled billed.

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 09:06 PM
So if it was accepted the first time then why didn't i get a receipt to sign?? and if he would of waited longer for the machine would that of mattered?? I know the money went thru the bank knows the money went thru i don't see why i can't go up there with my statement and get my mower and ****.. but he said no that won't do it.. WTF

thegreensideup
03-28-2008, 10:43 PM
It takes an average of three business days for the merchant to actually receive the funds of a credit card transaction. The instance you swipe your credit card, whether the transaction goes through or not the funds will be held against you credit card. Your bank will show that the merchant was paid when they really were not. The bank has no way of knowing if the transaction was excepted or not. Call your bank back on Wednesday or Thursday and see if the funds are still in your account.

Lawnut101
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
The thing that I don't understand about your ordeal is, why doesn't the dealer trust you? I know my dealer would let me take the equipment and pay later. I mean, he knows my address. It's in his computer! lol. Some people!:hammerhead:

Cutting 4eva 21
03-28-2008, 11:36 PM
yea i dont understand that either he has my number and my address its not the first time ive done business with him.

Lawnut101
03-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I'd actually be insulted if something like that happened to me. I'm sure you were!

mag360
03-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Are you saying that you paid for the service to the mower, then ordered additional parts which (as far as the dealer knows) you didn't pay for?

Just leave the parts there and take the mower home. Did you already take delivery of some of the parts? Or did they install some on the machine?

If the service was paid for and there is nothing currently attached to your mower they shouldn't be holding it. If the put so much as a new nut on your machine that didn't get paid for yet then they have a right to hold it until you pay up. (this is all aside from the card issue---just assuming they don't have your money yet).

lawnman_scott
03-29-2008, 12:28 PM
The bank says they will stop the charges, so go there with $45, order the bags online or over the phone somewhere lese, and be done with it.

thegreensideup
04-05-2008, 12:30 PM
So how did you end up making out? Did you get your equipment back? Did you check with your bank again this past week to see if you were charged?

tallimeca
04-05-2008, 06:51 PM
first off, when dealing with debit cards, banks can do some screwy **** and it's not the dealer's fault. I've had stuff happen with my customers like that. I swipe it and it's declined, yet they made a deposit. The problem is what was your AVAILABLE BALANCE? Current balance and available balance are two different number to the bank when working with debit cards. Everyone's first response is.....THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!! Well guess what, when using a card, all the merchant needs to do if verify ID and swipe the card. If it doesn't work, it IS POSSIBLE and it's up to you to find out the problem.

If the dealer swiped your card and it was declined, and did it again and it was declined, then he has every right to say, it's declined. It doesn't matter what someone from the bank says because first of all, it takes a day or two to clear, it doesn't happen right away so the bank was full of bologna. Visa, Mastercard and Amex cards, or Debit cards with these logos take 2-3 business days to process and fund the merchant. There's no way the bank can tell you it cleared. All they can tell you is the transaction was requested. That's why you can go over your balance because the transactions all clear at different times. There's not message that comes up and says this transaction is for 40 dollars but you only have 20 in there, do you want to continue. You just get overdrawn and charged a bank fee for every one.

Most shops are COD. Whether it's power equipment, vehicles, power tools, electronics. Anything. No ticky, no shirty. Unfortunately, there are too many fly by night , want to be landscapers who go into business, screw dealers, screw you guys by low balling, make a stack of cash, then disappear. Can't blame the dealer for being cautious, however, maybe he could have called the merchant services line to see if it did infact process and there was an error with the machine. Every transaction is numbered. Also, the machine doesn't necessarily print out a slip that says declined. Mine doesn't, it just shows on the screen.

Maybe the person who you dealt with had a 'tude, and the fact you were agrivated by the card getting declined made everything worse, but honestly, you can't blame them for not releasing the equipment to you if they don't have payment. That's common sense business really. Doesn't matter if they know where you live, that doesn't mean if they mailed you a bill you would pay it.

Calling the police won't do anything. It's a civil matter and they can be liable for forcing a shop to return a piece of equipment if it wasn't paid for. Obviously they know the dealer didn't come to your house and steal your machine, so aside from that happening, nothing you can do. And if you go and try to take it off the property, you can be arrested. Sounds crazy but it's true.

A buddy of mine had a truck at a dealer. They replaced the tranny and said it wasn't covered under warranty and handed him a bill. Never called him, or informed him of this. Of course you know how that went over. He went home and got his other set of keys and tried to take it off the lot. They called the cops and the cops came and told him to pay the bill, or get a lawyer but the truck wasn't leaving but he was, either on his own, or in the back of the car.

Best thing to do would have been to pay cash and see if they did infact take the money out. If they did you could contact the dealer for a refund or contact your bank and dispute it. Unfortunately, stuff like this happens in our ELECTRONIC WORLD. Even electronics can make mistakes.

Cutting 4eva 21
04-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry it took so long to respond i got my mower back, and my money.. What i did was talk to my bank again and they said that they would give me my money back. Well since i dropped it off last friday and dealt w/ this **** my mower was supposed to be done by this friday. Well ive been dealing w/ my bank trying to get some answers on whats goin on. And finally they reimburse me my money and so i called the dealer on Wednesday just to check on to see if my parts came in they did and i also asked them how my mower was coming along. Well the lady said it would be done friday just like they told me. Well late friday comes around and i call and ask about my mower cause i need it like yesterday and they said that the guy hasn't started on it and will be done by late saturday!!! WTF now im pissed again i tell them to don't even touch it i drove up there paid for my parts that they ordered and grabbed my mower from the shop. So anyways from now on im doing my own service to my **** unless it's something i absolutely can't do. Thank god its over.....

mag360
04-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Sorry it took so long to respond i got my mower back, and my money.. What i did was talk to my bank again and they said that they would give me my money back. Well since i dropped it off last friday and dealt w/ this **** my mower was supposed to be done by this friday. Well ive been dealing w/ my bank trying to get some answers on whats goin on. And finally they reimburse me my money and so i called the dealer on Wednesday just to check on to see if my parts came in they did and i also asked them how my mower was coming along. Well the lady said it would be done friday just like they told me. Well late friday comes around and i call and ask about my mower cause i need it like yesterday and they said that the guy hasn't started on it and will be done by late saturday!!! WTF now im pissed again i tell them to don't even touch it i drove up there paid for my parts that they ordered and grabbed my mower from the shop. So anyways from now on im doing my own service to my **** unless it's something i absolutely can't do. Thank god its over.....

You'll save money this way. Things do back up quick in a commercial mower shop this time of year though.

delphied
04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Sounds alot like that dealer doesnt want your business.

steve45
04-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I can't blame the dealer for his actions, unless you have been a regular customer for some time and you're on a first name basis with everybody there.

Crap happens with electronic banking. Hell, you ought to see what PayPal can do! I purchased several items on Ebay using "But It Now". Tried to pay with PayPal, and got errors. The message said the site was experiencing problems, try again later. Well, I tried again later and it went through. The next day, I got confirmation emails from PayPal telling me that ALL the transactions had gone through. I called them and finally got to speak to a person. Well, guess what. PayPal doesn't make mistakes!!! It was up to me to contact the sellers, cancel the extra orders, and ask them to issue refunds.

For future reference, when an expensive item, like a mower or vehicle, is being held for something like this, you may be able to get a court order to force them to release it. This doesn't relieve you of the responsibility to pay, only to allow you to use the vehicle while the charges are being disputed.

puppypaws
04-06-2008, 08:05 AM
I talked to my bank and they said that they will reimburse me my money so i dont get screwed out of 287.00 but now im going back and forth with this guy about getting my mower back.

Go get cash money from the bank and have them make sure the transaction is canceled. Take the money to the person you dealt with, pay him, get a receipt, take your mower and go to work. Take time, sit down with the owner of the business and explain what happened. You can tell by the way he addresses your problem if you ever want to do business with this dealer again. This is your easiest option without having to waste a lot of time and deal with the aggravation.

ed2hess
04-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Sounds alot like that dealer doesnt want your business.

If the dealer didn't want the business before this .......he doesn't want it any more....called burnt bridge.