PDA

View Full Version : Here's a challange

TPnTX
03-28-2008, 04:29 PM
This house belongs to the mayor of my town. He and his wife are interested in outdoor lighting. I need a little inspiring because honestly other than path lights I'm drawing a blank.

JoeyD
03-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Ryan,

Hit those columns with some uplights. Back light or cross light the 2 little trees on each side of the walkway.. Highlight that railing at the entry to the porch. Light the little birdbath. Maybe some small accent lighting on the shrubry or you could utilize some of our area enhancement lights to not only light the shrubs but to also get some light on what would normally be a very dark lawn area. Make sure of course you highlight those fireplaces as well. They will give you a nice vertical element. I am sure they like their coach lights but you could replace them with Orion 12's to give you some nice light on the brick there at the entry. You have plenty to work with here!

Mark B
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I will throw my .02 out there. I would look at the brick in the front under the porch. You can hide the fixture with a planter (if the wife likes plants). But it appears the house is on a slab,if not you could hidethe wire under the house. Look at the columns out front. What about 3 lights per chimmey maybe a 50watts on the outside so you can get the height. You could also light the charlie brown trees out front and the sides. What is around back?
I'm sure some of the seasoned pros will chime in.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Almost what Joey said....

1: instead of uplighting the 4 posts, up/down light them from behind with a NS Dual-liter or similar. that way you will fill the porch with a nice indirect glow and put the posts in silhouette from the street.

2: Gutter mount 3 small soft floods on the roof so that it doesn't look so black compared to below.

3: light the rail structure in front of the porch for sure.

4: graze the chimneys for sure... not 50W though! they are not that tall!!

5: uplight the two trees in front

6: forget the birdbath, it isn't that prominent and will look too asymmetrical if you highlight it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Now, what about the back yard?

JoeyD
03-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I think a soft little light like the Polaris on the birdbath would be cool, they put it in their yard becuase they like it, I say light it and let them tell you to pull it out.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Who knows Joey, maybe the mother in law put it there and he hates it?

I have a better idea, why not follow the master's advice... simply ask them first "Why Light?"

:)

JoeyD
03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Always light the fun stuff they have int heir yard. Taht too the master teaches! If they put there it is becuase they like it. If they dont they will tell you not to light it! Simple as that.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Said it once, I still maintain... lighting the bird bath will throw off the symmetry of a very nice lighting design that could be accomplished there. Everything else about it is symmetrical, why mess it up with light.

Now, if it was a piece of fine art..... but it isnt...

Man are we bored or what?

JoeyD
03-28-2008, 06:16 PM
who says lighting needs to be symmetrical? That Bird Bath isnt anything special to you but maybe its special to them

Mark B
03-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Yes we are bored.

klkanders
03-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I also think filling the porch area with light is the ticket. Maybe then nobody will trip on that tipped over chair! What about place some Unique comets or similar behind each post up high. Its hard to tell if ceiling in there is cathedral or flat?

Ya the 2 trees, railing, chimney chases, etc....
Have fun,
Keith

klkanders
03-28-2008, 06:30 PM
I say tip that bird bath over and push it behind a shrub..............end of story!

:)

The Lighting Geek
03-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I would put a sign on it saying 'Birds eat for free' and light the sign

Mark B
03-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Just move the birdie bath out to curb and put a signon it that says "FREE"... j/k

Move it out alittle bit to the edge of the bed or around back.

Pro-Scapes
03-28-2008, 06:59 PM
This house belongs to the mayor of my town. He and his wife are interested in outdoor lighting. I need a little inspiring because honestly other than path lights I'm drawing a blank.

some key questions... are there any recessed lights over the porch ? Acsess for them to be installed ? what about recessed lights over the pillars too like a regressed one from Lightolier ? If this is not possible then uplight them.

Chimney yes...35w tho not 50w unless there is an insane amount of ambient light

Bird bath is a hit or miss. Depends how attached they are to it.... Good place for something special on each end as well like the i3 planters... people seem to love these and I am about to order about 6 more soon.

I would back light the trees... change out glarebombs or at least the lamps in them. Since this house is visable from multiple angles you need to continue down the sides... cute little house

JoeyD
03-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey Billy is it Cute?

TPnTX
03-29-2008, 09:31 AM
man that is great you guys are so bored, works for me :)
here is the rest of the house.

TPnTX
03-29-2008, 09:33 AM

TPnTX
03-29-2008, 09:35 AM

TPnTX
03-29-2008, 09:37 AM

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2008, 09:38 AM

On the one side your job is straight forward.

On the patio side its a little more intricate and would involve downlighting that patio area from the sofits(2???) in my opinion along with 2 more fixtures mounted in gutters to get the 2nd story if so desired.

I would keep that patio pretty soft and intimate and If I did that one it would be dimmable... one setting a bit brighter for eating then another setting for relaxing and conversation.

On the back its again pretty clear what needs to be lit. I would ask if they are planning to do anything with the beds soon... the fountain should be lit if it does not contain lights now. I would try and get downlights in the sofits on the patio and get rid of the glare light on the fan. With the fan there you can most likley retrofit some recessed lights in the patio area on a dimmer of course. If they want the ultimate in ease and control link it all together with UPB

steveparrott
03-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I suggest MR-16 bullets (20w, 36 degree) uplighting each of the four columns. Light reflecting from under the eaves from these lights will bathe the area under the overhang.

Make sure the coach lanterns have frosted lamps/glass and are on a dimmer.

One bullet (20w, 36 degree) on the leading edge of the garden bed at both left and right corners (to graze the shrubs and cast shadows on front edges of the chimneys).

One bullet (20w, 36 degree) on the leading edge of the planting bed directly facing the chimney faces (to graze the shrubs and cast shadows on the chimney face)

One bullet (20w, 36 degree) on each of the trees.

(I just saw the backyard pics - no comments on that area yet)

Path lights (China Hat or New Orleans) along the leading edges of the garden bed starting from the entry way, every eight feet around the entire house.

A well light (20w, 36 degree) (if it fits - if not, a bullet) under the mailbox.

I'd sell the mayor on putting in some garden beds along both sides of the front entryway path. These would be lit with small path lights staggered every six feet. In fact, it would be great for a good landscaper to come in and create a number of planting regions that would define the borders of the property, add visual interest and create outdoor living areas.

TPnTX
04-22-2008, 08:12 PM
okay thanks again everyone, ya'll have been very helpful. I'm going to demo this tonight.

I'm pretty excited too, I got an idea from another guy to use extension chords and a power strip. This will allow me to move six lights around pretty freely. Its a borrowed vista kit which as nice as it is, is limited by the connections and wire length. I definately have to start building my own.

This is an okay neighborhood but I know it's not where you can sell very many 4k light jobs. But it is the Mayor and lets face it you can have worse referrals. So I'm really going to do my best to make a some good profit but at the same time cram as much into their budget as possible.

thanks again for the advise.