PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo, New York Rates

The Green Barber
03-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Hello everyone, I read all these threads about what to charge as a hourly rate, but I am very confused. I am owner/operator, just starting the biz this year. I see many guys posting $25-$55hr. Am I right by saying you charge each job at that range, if so lets say you have 2 jobs and finish both in the hour, what do you charge for each job? I'm located in Buffalo, NY and was wondering if anyone can give me a closer range to what the going rate is in the area? I will be doing resid, and commercial mowing. I would like to perform Lawn thatching and aerating, as well as lawn rolling. How should I price those jobs?

Toad
03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I charge most lawns by the job, and only do hrly if doing a job that may last several hrs or a few days. You should be in line at 25 to 50 hr. I would not go higher than 50, you will be priced out. Try to do by the job. If you have the right eq, you can do things much faster than the home owner, they to will be thinking how long it would take them to do the job.

The Green Barber
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Toad, I have 06 toro z550 30hp with 60" deck, country clipper zrt Jazee 20hp w/48" deck. and steil trimmer, back pack blower and hand held blower. my goal is to gross $45,000 is that possible?

Toad
03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Are you planning a solo op I would guess. With the right accounts,yes. I would be looking for big commercial, high end res. I would have to tell you its gona take a while to establish a customer base that would alow you to make 45k the first year. probbaly not gona happen, (youd be busy thats for shure) But you are near suburbs that may alow you to pick up some good size high end properties. Plan on alot of advertising to get started. Looks like you have the equipment end of it covered.

greengiant9963
03-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree it is very tough the first couple years. You have to build a good customer base and that is easy said than done in certain area's. You can gross 45,000 plus being solo but might take a couple years before you get a tight route and customer base.

The Green Barber
03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Thank you guys, I take that into consideration. Now what about pricing for Lawn thatching and aerating, as well as lawn rolling. How should I price those jobs? I'm trying to find bid proposals templates and other lawn contract templates with know luck. I tried the search engine on this site, but it never works. Do you have any input on where to get some templates and or examples........ Should I look to hire help, or stay solo this year?

Toad
03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Do you have enough work allready to hire help? I would not even go there till you are working 12 hr days and cant keep up.
You might find templates for wording of said proposals, but as far as pricing it depends on area. As far as thatching and aerating, I would price the job out, so the customer and you know how much it will be. Do you have experience enough to look at a job and tell how long it may take? Then stay in your set hrly rate.

Flex-Deck
03-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Thank you guys, I take that into consideration. Now what about pricing for Lawn thatching and aerating, as well as lawn rolling. How should I price those jobs? I'm trying to find bid proposals templates and other lawn contract templates with know luck. I tried the search engine on this site, but it never works. Do you have any input on where to get some templates and or examples........ Should I look to hire help, or stay solo this year?

I have a minimum charge of $45 - That is to weed out small residentials, as I am geared for large and larger accounts. Perhaps in your area $35 is a good minimum. As to aerating, fertilizing (product included), and spraying, I charge 3X the mowing fee. DEFINITELY stay solo until you are working with the lights on to keep up. It takes a lot of job's to make the extra person you hire pay off. Just my .02 cents