PDA

View Full Version : Lets see your homes

dave k
03-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I would love to see pic's of all the Pro's homes with their homes all lighted up, any takers?
Or could it be like the cobbler, all his kids needs shoes!

JoeyD
03-28-2008, 05:03 PM
lol......I would show you my lighting but I have NONE! Just a bunch of boxes sitting on the side of the house waiting to be installed.

The Lighting Geek
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I need a landscape first! LOL I have a dirt backyard (4 years) and i keep changing my mind on what I want to do on the front yard! I have some well lights on the only tree in my SMALL front yard. Sigh...(long one)

klkanders
03-28-2008, 05:41 PM
You are so right! Its like the building contractor who always has a home project going and nothing finished 100%. Thats me too.

I experiment with fixtures from time to time but nothing is installed. We are looking at building a new home so I suppose that is my excuse also.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-28-2008, 05:49 PM
I installed a small 25 fixture job in my front yard about 6 years ago. Time to change it up and finish the other two acres (ya right! LOL)

I have some plans... now for the time.

Pro-Scapes
03-28-2008, 05:51 PM
my yard is about 5 acres... we still lost all our major trees in katrina but I am having a tree truck come to replant soon and move some nice oaks from the back 40 to the front area. We do have some nice soft lighting going on but no stunning pics of it..

JoeyD
03-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Not one person?!?! Too funny, we are all a bunch of posers!

dave k
03-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Actually its PATHETIC! LOL:laugh:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Hey, 25 lights on a 1/2 acre in the woods is not pathetic!

pete scalia
03-28-2008, 09:58 PM

Sounds pretty pathetic to me.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I guess I'll be the ginny pig, These are all the extras I pulled from other jobs. Not much though

pete scalia
03-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Now your talkin-beautiful work. Better than granola.

extlights
03-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Not a good picture, everything is a bit out of whack from winter and no landscaping yet...not to mention the crooked picture..lol Anyway, 52 total lights over 3 acres. When we figure out how to take good pictures and get everything back adjusted when this snow melts I'll get some more of the rest of the yard....hopefully they will turn out better. Just trying to experiment with the whole night photography thing.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Not a bad start Dave.... a tad bright for my tastes but that could be the camera talking.

Now, how about you try this: Get 4 Nightscaping Guardians, in white, with MR16 sockets. Mount them up a the very top of the 4 gables showing in your picture, right on the fascia board at the top. Put GE BAB lamps in and use optical spread lenses. Don't forget to push the socket back into the fixture a bit so you have glare control.

If you don't like the NS product, then get 4 Huna DL in white instead... the light output is the same, just a big difference in fixtures, and you will need glare louvers with the Hunza.

Enjoy

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Not everyone likes that look James. Personally I like an uplit home and clients usually ask for the home to be well lit. I dont have a great pic of my house and its about to undergo a 1200sq ft addition but with Mikes permission here is his home and it goes to show what a solo operator can do with dedication and 18 yrs experience. Shows that being bold and having a strong work ethic can pay off. Not a bad pad if you ask me.

1 acre in the hills...3800sq ft custom built in 03

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Billy, seems to be a lot more couched into your last message then just comments about lighting Dave's house. We can read between the lines.

I personally find the whole 'uplighting every sq inch of the house thing' (as shown in the photo you attached) to be loud, harsh and more appropo for commercial properties. IMO, the lighting on that house actually detracts from its appeal.

How do homes that are lit like this fit into the community and the environment? I am thinking it stands out quite a bit, seemingly calling out: "look at me! look at me!"

Perhaps there is an inherent difference between Canadians and Americans when it comes to design aesthetics. Around here, people don't like to be so 'showy'.

Dave: I was not suggesting that you remove any of the uplights from your home, simply suggesting you try adding 4 more that will shine down, graze those gable ends and create pools of light on the hip roof and the ground in front of the home.

Have a great day.

NightScenes
03-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Here is the deck area of my house. I have not gotten around to finishing the rest of the lighting but I hope to within the next couple of weeks.

klkanders
03-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Beautiful homes Dave and Mike G! I love looking at all these pictures but I have come to realize they don't do justice to actually looking at them in person. (Unless the photos are touched up of course)
Paul that area looks like a great place to hang out....is that a hot tub? Nice! :)

Keith

extlights
03-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I hear what you're saying James. The current lights installed were done on spare time and far from perfect at this point. The house used to be all white until being painted it's current color this past fall, so being that it's a much darker color now the effect changes dramatically. Also as I mentioned, we had a rough winter this year and things need to be adjusted and the bulbs need to be changed (most of them are 3 years old.) I think the camera makes it seem buch brighter than it is.

This is a very very dark subdivision, everyone is on a minimum of 5 wooded acres, no street lights and you can't see any of your neighbors homes. Needless to say you don't need much light to bring things out. When the weather breaks I'll get pictures of the whole property...It's really hard to tell anything from just looking at the home itself. There are a lot of trees etc. highlighted around the home that makes everything blend really well.

Since we are giving out suggestions, I have a potential home that we are going to bid out that I would like some suggestions on. I'm not going to post it on here because of the nature of the home and who the owner is, but if anyone is interested in giving out their input feel free to e-mail me. Right now I have one photo of the front of the home....might be alittle hard to figure out something from a picture alone because I had to take the picture from pretty far away to get the whole house in...BTW..it's 38,000 sq. ft. on 20 acres.

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Billy, seems to be a lot more couched into your last message then just comments about lighting Dave's house. We can read between the lines.

I.

I wasnt "coached" into anything. Mike had sent me this pic before and I asked if I could post it simple as that so you can stop right there with the accusations or insinuations. I do have my own brain and think for myself thank you very much. Just because Mike and I happen to be friends does not mean he feeds me what to say.

Now adding the downlights might not be such a bad idea but I wouldnt replace his uplights with the downlights. Just because it looks really bright in pictures doesnt mean it has to be in real life. Not everyone south of the border here likes underlit. They usually ask for even more or to make it a bit brighter. Does it say hey look at me ? I Guess some do especially the line voltage jobs we see alot of but I think it says my home is even more stunning at night than it is during the day. Yes James, Even the last project I posted in the weekly projects thread you can look up and still see the stars.

NightScenes
03-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Here's a slightly better angle and photo of the hot tub area of my home. As I said earlier I think I should have ALL of my lighting done within the next couple of weeks and I will post more photos then.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I said couched, not coached.

As for uplighting and the stars... keep uplighting and over illuminating all the homes in a community and things will be noticably different. Do some reading about sky glow.

Dark Sky Friendly isnt only about star gazing. More importantly it is about Light Pollution. Light pollution has detrimental ecological, sociological, environmental, medical and aeshthetic effects. All well reported and well documented... not the stuff of myths.

The most common contributors to Light Pollution are: Direct uplighting, Over Illumination, Glare and Light Trespass.

There is a big difference between 'underlit' and properly illuminated for the task, purpose, environment and culture.

Remember, sometimes less is more.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Paul that tree is fabulous! What an incredible specimen!
I am sure it is as beautiful in the day as you have made it look at night.

Any idea of it's age?

(how about installing a few ingrounds that illuminate the outer reaches of the branches, thus filling out the effect? This is a perfect example of how it is possible to uplight effectively and conscientiously as the canopy captures all of the light directed up)

Lovely work.

NightScenes
03-29-2008, 12:44 PM
James that is a live oak that I would say is around 125 years old. I have thought about installing some wells around the outer areas but I spend too much time out there and the glare would be an issue for me.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Paul: I know what you mean about the possibility for glare from the ingrounds. I have in a couple of instances fit what I call 'recessed ingrounds' into a system and they work quite well.

1: Take a NS Vermeer or similar spec. grade fixture
2: Find some 6" dia. PVC water main pipe... the heavy black stuff they use at golf courses for replenishing irrigation ponds etc... it has a wall thickness of about 1" or so.
3: Install the pipe into the ground nice and deep, so that the upper edge is flush with the ground.
4: Install the fixture into the pipe so that it is 3 inches or so below grade. (viewing positions will dictate installation depth.)

There you go, one recessed inground fixture with no visible line of sight to the source. Two issues: they are maintenance intensive. You need to check them regularly so that debris does not fill the hole. Also, not to be installed in a area where people are walking, day or night.

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Paul: I know what you mean about the possibility for glare from the ingrounds. I have in a couple of instances fit what I call 'recessed ingrounds' into a system and they work quite well.

1: Take a NS Vermeer or similar spec. grade fixture
2: Find some 6" dia. PVC water main pipe... the heavy black stuff they use at golf courses for replenishing irrigation ponds etc... it has a wall thickness of about 1" or so.
3: Install the pipe into the ground nice and deep, so that the upper edge is flush with the ground.
4: Install the fixture into the pipe so that it is 3 inches or so below grade. (viewing positions will dictate installation depth.)

There you go, one recessed inground fixture with no visible line of sight to the source. Two issues: they are maintenance intensive. You need to check them regularly so that debris does not fill the hole. Also, not to be installed in a area where people are walking, day or night.

Regards.

wow talk about a hazzard Sounds like a broken ankle or fire waiting to happen... you could just get a regressed well light with a grate ? Atom has a new one with a keyhole slot that looks outstanding.

Personally I like how paul lit the tree and leaving some of it dark looks very nice. The area to sit in is more focused. It is after all night time. There should be SOME darkness

irrig8r
03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I really like the way you lit the tree Paul.

It has the right balance...."chiaroscuro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaroscuro)" if you will... if I can borrow a term from another artists' medium...

Can you tell us a little about what you used in terms of placement, beam spread and wattage?

Are there some uplights part way up the tree? (I've never tried that but have an opportunity with some large sycamores on an upcoming job.)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Also, not to be installed in a area where people are walking, day or night.

wow talk about a hazzard Sounds like a broken ankle ...

Are you not reading everything or just trying to be difficult today?

Even with a deep socketed inground you get some glare from the lens that is generally flush to the ground. My method eliminates that. But, as I clearly stated, it requires some regular maintenance and must only be installed in areas of no foot traffic.

Nothing is perfect... all we can offer are good alternatives.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Are you not reading everything or just trying to be difficult today?

Even with a deep socketed inground you get some glare from the lens that is generally flush to the ground. My method eliminates that. But, as I clearly stated, it requires some regular maintenance and must only be installed in areas of no foot traffic.

Nothing is perfect... all we can offer are good alternatives.

Have a great day.

I read it... I couldnt even imagine leaving this on any site like that tho. I would be more inclined to place some sort of structure (statue) in the yard to hide the light by or another small planting you could uplight and hit the tree at the same time with. Not trying to be difficult... it comes naturally to me :)

Im just wondering how your little regression trick would work in the fall when the oak sheds its leaves or when someone needs to walk over it to mow. Its a good idea to sink the lamp like that but you would need something over it for sure.

NightScenes
03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I am using 2 up lights (bullets) with FMW 60s for the trunk and inner structure. There are 5 or 6 down lights (I can't remember now) that are crossing in the canopy and moonlighting. These down lights are placed at about 30' up and are using BAB 60s. There is actually a big ol' MV street light about 75' from this tree but the smaller oak helps block a lot of that light.

seolatlanta
03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I use my home as a fixture tryout area all the time. I have a lot of mixed stuffnow- I have a Nightscaping and an old Hadco transformer that I pulled off of tear outs.

Then I have about 25 unique Lunar downlights with the blus lenses and some Lightcraft and Gambino pathlights. Misc bullets and washers- right now I am trying out some Unique Starburst with the MR 16 and the frosted lens and it is one of the best all around fixtures I have tried in quite some time.

I also have everything run through a 120v Intermatic with Unique Sequencers run through. The Gambino path lights I have where I can see them every time I go through my den and look out back-they are beautiful and the photometrics are incredible- I will post pics when I get back home.

Pro-Scapes
03-30-2008, 09:21 AM
I use my home as a fixture tryout area all the time. I have a lot of mixed stuffnow- I have a Nightscaping and an old Hadco transformer that I pulled off of tear outs.

Then I have about 25 unique Lunar downlights with the blus lenses and some Lightcraft and Gambino pathlights. Misc bullets and washers- right now I am trying out some Unique Starburst with the MR 16 and the frosted lens and it is one of the best all around fixtures I have tried in quite some time.

I also have everything run through a 120v Intermatic with Unique Sequencers run through. The Gambino path lights I have where I can see them every time I go through my den and look out back-they are beautiful and the photometrics are incredible- I will post pics when I get back home.

Sounds about like our house dave. I think I have more brands here than most dist. I agree the gambino path has the best photometrics I have ever seen.

Vista trans I yanked from a job
i3 planter
kichler paths (need to go as they do not hold up to dog tails)
SPJ wash
Cast wash
Coppermoon wash and a few bullets.
still got a few dabmars floating out there
Cast niche lights on the deck
Coppermoon scone and his small little light over the swing
and yes... we do have one stupid little malibu frog with the umbrella that Ash just could not live without

This will all get redone as soon as the addition goes on the house which should be about 2-3 mo.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
My favorite one we did so far.

Eden Lights
03-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I have been working on my place for about 5 years anytime I have some spare time, tell what you think??

dave k
03-30-2008, 04:49 PM

That's not what I :waving:meant, what I meant is that no body seems to have lighting on their home when that is their business.

dave k
03-30-2008, 04:51 PM
I have been working on my place for about 5 years anytime I have some spare time, tell what you think??

I think it is a bad picture, can't see a thing.

dave k
03-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys
Love all your work, I learn alot from you guys, but the more I look the more I like Interga's work up in Oh Canada:canadaflag:maybe its just the settings he works with.
Paul's work, Billy's always outstanding!:usflag: As far as Pete S, I'm sure he's right up there with the rest of them.:waving:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-30-2008, 07:30 PM
That's not what I :waving:meant, what I meant is that no body seems to have lighting on their home when that is their business.

No worries Dave. I understood you. Except for you know who, this was a fun thread! :laugh:

Have a great day

Chris J
03-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Not everyone likes that look James. Personally I like an uplit home and clients usually ask for the home to be well lit. I dont have a great pic of my house and its about to undergo a 1200sq ft addition but with Mikes permission here is his home and it goes to show what a solo operator can do with dedication and 18 yrs experience. Shows that being bold and having a strong work ethic can pay off. Not a bad pad if you ask me.

1 acre in the hills...3800sq ft custom built in 03

My mamma used to tell me that if I didn't have any thing good to say then I better keep my mouth shut. That being said, I've pretty much had my fill of Billy sticking his head so far up Mr. Mike's rump. The picture shown is way over lit, in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that I don't think that either of these guys are not top installers. I just think this relationship has taken on a life of it's own, and it's about to make me puke! By the way, I thought the Gambino transformer was only going to be available to a select few individuals and the purpose was not to mass market this item? I see it is now available through Florida Outdoor Lighting. What's up with that nonsense?
Sorry for the harsh words Billy/Mike, but I just don't like being played. You guys just crossed the line with me, again.

Eden Lights
03-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I think it is a bad picture, can't see a thing.

If you saw total darkness, you saw it just perfect.:laugh:

Pro-Scapes
03-30-2008, 09:23 PM
My mamma used to tell me that if I didn't have any thing good to say then I better keep my mouth shut. That being said, I've pretty much had my fill of Billy sticking his head so far up Mr. Mike's rump. The picture shown is way over lit, in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that I don't think that either of these guys are not top installers. I just think this relationship has taken on a life of it's own, and it's about to make me puke! By the way, I thought the Gambino transformer was only going to be available to a select few individuals and the purpose was not to mass market this item? I see it is now available through Florida Outdoor Lighting. What's up with that nonsense?
Sorry for the harsh words Billy/Mike, but I just don't like being played. You guys just crossed the line with me, again.

I had nothing to do with FOLD carrying them Chris. I do not hold a financial intrest nor stand to gain anything by people using them. I assume the venture with FOLD is because Mike has to move so many units per year in order to have them built to his spec and needs to start moving some units asap. I didnt cross anyone nor play anyone. I am an end user just like any other contractor who purchases and installs

Pro-Scapes
03-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Yeah I thought that was the effect Eddie was going for in the pic lol. Nice job Eddie very subtle and glare free.:laugh:

Chris J
03-30-2008, 10:16 PM
I had nothing to do with FOLD carrying them Chris. I do not hold a financial intrest nor stand to gain anything by people using them. I assume the venture with FOLD is because Mike has to move so many units per year in order to have them built to his spec and needs to start moving some units asap. I didnt cross anyone nor play anyone. I am an end user just like any other contractor who purchases and installs

I'm finding that hard to believe Billy. You are the only one who has been promoting them here. You do have a long-standing relationship with FOLD, and I believe you think this means more to you than it actually does. You were just at the "lighting palooza" where you were showing off Mike's tranny. Did you not show AJ and Chuck the transfromer? How do they even know about it if you didn't?
Now it's for sale through FOLD? Give me a break!

Chris J
03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
And by the way, what happend to only selling to a few "select" contractors? I guess you were fooled as well? Bull Crap! You and him both played everyone on this forum with this sales tactic! Even if you didn't know it, you are guilty by association!

Pro-Scapes
03-31-2008, 12:08 AM
And by the way, what happend to only selling to a few "select" contractors? I guess you were fooled as well? Bull Crap! You and him both played everyone on this forum with this sales tactic! Even if you didn't know it, you are guilty by association!

You would have to ask Mike because I knew nothing about distribution until a day before the newsletter amigo.

dave k
03-31-2008, 12:41 PM
I see said the blind man! Good one buddy!:laugh:

Mark B
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM
You guys are a trip. You have several here that like to yap about everyones work. Some even act like they are the GOD of lightng. You go pointing fingers and saying this is wrong. You guys need to pop a top and take a few drinks and chill out.

SamIV
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey Chris,

I have known Billy for quite some time, and if he says he had nothing to do with FOLD getting the trans, he had nothing to do with it and has nothing to gain. You owe him an apology for your accusations. Thought you were a friend of his. How many of these have you actually purchased in the months it has been available? What you are accusing him of would never be a thought of his.

How ya been Sleepyhead. Some of your post very rings true. Hope ya been reeling in the big ones.

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Mark B
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Just got back from the Keys. Had a great time. Took a half day charter out of key west. That was some exciting fishing. I'm going back in Oct for fantasty fest.

After all the parting there will be a full day fishing trip. My guide will be at hatteras during that time. I might do some offshore. Who knows what I will do.

Chris J
03-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Billy,
I do owe you an apology. After reading your PMs, I believed what you were saying and then I spoke with Mike G tonight and he confirmed everything as well. At first it really looked fishy, but then again it really doesn't matter to me as it is none of my business.
Sorry for the harsh statements. I hope you can forgive and forget.

Burt,
To answer your questions: 1.) yes, I consider Billy a friend I just had a bad moment and reacted to quickly. 2.) I have purchased none of the mentioned transformers yet, but I don't see how that matters. 3.) I know you and Billy are friends, but he is a big boy. I hardly think he needs you to fight any battles for him. My apology to him is honest and sincere, but it is not a result of your demands. Have a happy day.

Pro-Scapes
03-31-2008, 11:45 PM
We can all jump to conclusions sometimes. I am guilty of it and its only compounded at times with my hearing loss. I hope this goes to show there was no scheme or snake oil sales tactics. I for one have found myself hitting the back button and thinking a bit more before my replies.

As for Burt stepping up in defense of a friend I see nothing wrong with that. I would back my friends up too and also be the first to tell them they are wrong.:waving:

extlights
04-01-2008, 10:56 PM
I went out in the front yard and experimented with the whole night photography thing. Here are a coupe more pictures....still looks a little hot, but I might be getting close. I suppose I could have adjusted the lights before hand, but oh well.

trailboss
04-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Looks good Dave!
What fixtures are you using here?

Mark B
04-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Looks good to me. The way that home is laid out is hard to light that wall to the left of the front door (guess the garage back wall). How many lights are on the tree to the right in the lawn? Just courious.

extlights
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
All the lights are Hadco's IL336AL well lights. Nothing was put on the back of the garage wall just because there will be some landscaping in there and we'll figure it out then. The tree to the right has just one well light on it. It probably could use another, but for now it works. There are about 12 trees in the backyard lit also, and the back patio area. The next project is lighting the new 40'x60' garage that is to the left of the house. That will wait until it gets painted though and some landscaping around it.

klkanders
04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Looks nice Dave! I like the front elevation of the house...nice design!