PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing My First ZTR

North Florida Cracker
03-28-2008, 10:15 PM
This is my 1st post please bare with me if it is not correct. I have three old mowers 1988 small kubota yard tractor(13hp) 400hrs, 13 yr old scag 60'' (17hpkaw)1400 hrs, 13yr old yazoo (20hp kohler magnum) 2654hrs. I am 61 years
old and tired of always having to work on these machines. I have been talking with people in the lawn service business in my area about the machines they use every day dixie chopper, bobcat, jd, scagg. exmark. The man that has dixie chopper has two and also one exmark. He said if he had it to do over he would not buy another dixie chopper because he has problems with the decks. He would buy bobcat. Another man that has two bobcats said he would not own anything else but a bobcat. John Deere man says not as good as they use to be pay for the name. Scagg man loves his but are quite expensive. I want this to be last mower i buy in my lifetime. I do not want to make a mistake. I have done a lot of reasearch on a lot of mowers
(ztrs). Right now I am leaning toward a Bobcat Pro Cat 61'' cut 7084.00 plus tax you can get 25 hp kaw or 27 hp kohler. My old scagg the 17 hp kaw uses too much oil the rings are gone. The yazoo with the kohler that has 2654 hrs still runs smooth it will use one ounce of oil an hour in heavy cutting but the transmission is almost gone. Just on my experience is this still the way it is today the kohler my have a longer life than the kaw? I woulg really appreciate
everyones input.

SoloSulkySurfer
03-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I would recommed buying a scag. I have a tiger cub and love mine and it only has a 19hp with a 48" deck. Although Im sure any of your major brands are fine (exmark, Toro, Scag, Bobcat). I would disagree with the fact that Kawi engines dont last as long as a Kohler. I would say its the opposite. I prefer a Kawi hands down. I see engine quality as 1) Kawasaki 2) Kohler 3) Briggs. If possible demo one and you'll probably be sold.

Zooropa93
03-29-2008, 02:44 AM
I think the kawi/kohler battle is more personal preference than anything else. I don't place one above the other.

bladecutter582
03-29-2008, 08:42 AM
I put a TON of research into buying my mower this year. I'm just starting out and can honestly say that Scag is the one I bought. I (as the song implies) can only imagine how much Scag has improved over a 13 yr. period. The thing you have to remember is this is the # 1 company in the country along with Walker that puts so much into the evolving of their equipment from what "owners have to day" from a day to day basis.
Mine is the TT/29hp Kaw/61" and I love it. Here in Alabama it ran $10865.00 OTD.:clapping:

Tharrell
03-29-2008, 08:47 AM
You'll love the Bob-Cat. But, you should be able to get a Predator Pro for that kind of money. Bigger pumps and a Generac engine. Regardless, Bob-Cat has always been a trusted machine. Tony
BTW, I have 3, plus Scag, Lesco etc...

dubmckay
04-14-2008, 11:38 PM
To be quite honest- they all make grass shorter. You should find a dealer that will allow you to demonstrate a unit. Pick the unit and dealer that fit you best. Just cause brand A works for Joe doesn't mean it will fit you or make your grass look GREAT! There is no point in buying a top of the line machine from a dealer that can not service and support the machine properly- an average machine with a great dealer is a much better option, especially if you are a homeowner vs. commercial cutter. As for engines, it's just a personal preference- mine would be Kawi twins and Honda singles

North Florida Cracker
04-15-2008, 09:38 PM
I did find my best at a local dealer on 13 miles away. This dealer is in it second generation one of the daughters and her husband have taken it over. I meet the factory rep. there last week he was from Valdosta, Ga. and we took a demo BOB-CAT to one of my vacant lots and tried it out. I went back to local dealer and purchased the BOB-CAT
61'' cut with 27 HP Kohler I brought it home Wed and it is in my garage.Thanks for you reply

lifetree
04-15-2008, 10:27 PM
... purchased the BOB-CAT
61'' cut with 27 HP Kohler I brought it home Wed and it is in my garage. ...

Congratulations on your new ZTR !!

Danielslawnservice
04-15-2008, 10:42 PM
To be quite honest- they all make grass shorter. You should find a dealer that will allow you to demonstrate a unit. Pick the unit and dealer that fit you best. Just cause brand A works for Joe doesn't mean it will fit you or make your grass look GREAT! There is no point in buying a top of the line machine from a dealer that can not service and support the machine properly- an average machine with a great dealer is a much better option, especially if you are a homeowner vs. commercial cutter.

DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO!!

Dan

dubmckay
04-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I went back to local dealer and purchased the BOB-CAT 61'' cut with 27 HP Kohler I brought it home Wed and it is in my garage.Thanks for you reply

Looks like you got a good power to deck ratio!! How much did you end up paying for the machine??

North Florida Cracker
04-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Looks like you got a good power to deck ratio!! How much did you end up paying for the machine??

BOB-CAT PRO-CAT 61'' Deck 27HP Kohler 7349.95

TAX 514.50

Total 7864.45

Had I choose the 25HP KAW the price would be 200.00 less.

The above price is zero % intrest for 18 months (436.91 monthly payment)

I was going to pay cash it would have been the same price either way.