PDA

View Full Version : Clumps

wintergreenlawn&landscape
03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Lets put this to the polls, has there been a machine manufactured that hasnt left clumps in wet conditions? I don't think so!!

lawnpro724
03-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Probably not but Toro's Turbo force decks do a good job at keeping them at a minimum.

rodfather
03-29-2008, 07:33 AM
it doesn't exist

Atlantic Lawn
03-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Next to impossible, our rear baggers really get clogged when it comes to wet conditions.

macaw
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Scag's Velocity deck and Meg-Mo blades seem to do the trick.Hardly ever put out clumps if it dose they are very small and hardy seen.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Scag's Velocity deck

He iz right ..........

LwnmwrMan22
03-29-2008, 10:35 AM
It's going to come down to grass type, deck style, blade sharpness, speed of cut, amount of dampness.

I've run virtually every piece of equipment over 20 years, and there's nothing that eliminates clumps completely.

Rodfather has it dead on.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
03-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Scag's Velocity deck comes darn close to eliminating them. I havent had any issue out of mine yet in the rain and cutting taller grass.

ProStreetCamaro
03-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I havent run one myself but I would think the JD 7 Iron decks would be about as good as it gets in wet conditions. The Command cut decks on the Cub Tanks also do really good in wet conditions.

Meg-Mo
03-29-2008, 11:28 AM
On all of your mowers we can do away with lumps and clumps with the MEG MO blades. Make or model does not make a lot of difference. Wet or dry / short or tall has no problems. With the decks staying cleaner and knives staying sharp 8 to 10 times all help. We do better if the mower is not a mulch style deck. Wiyh the MEG MO blades on a normal weekly mowing no grass showing on the turf.

grassman177
03-29-2008, 06:54 PM
my kubota does not clog, or put out much clumps. big improvement and i have mowed with the scag, did do a good job, but still clumped. it was the advantage deck. it clogged easier than my mower by far, and i see the exmarks are much worse. at least the ultra cut did. we have lots of guys running exmark here cutting side by me and they clump pretty bad in wet condtiions. all in all, every mower will have the point of clumps, the range of pros and cons is different with each brand and you find the one that meets levels of quality matched withthe conditions you mow in.

TheOctagon
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I had a 72" badboy last year and it never clumped on me even in tall wet thick grass. Not saying it never would but it does a really good job of not doin it.

04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
On all of your mowers we can do away with lumps and clumps with the MEG MO blades. Make or model does not make a lot of difference. Wet or dry / short or tall has no problems. With the decks staying cleaner and knives staying sharp 8 to 10 times all help. We do better if the mower is not a mulch style deck. Wiyh the MEG MO blades on a normal weekly mowing no grass showing on the turf.

You guys are storytellers, Ive tried them all and guess what....Clumps. Dont advertise in my thread unless you plan to send me free equipment. If you prove me wrong, Ill be the frist one to stand by it!!

Meg-Mo
04-01-2008, 05:54 PM
If you have not tried the MEG MO blades you do not know and we do not send out free sets of blades to try but the MEG MO blades are back by 100% money back if we can not get them to work for you.

Lawn-Sharks
04-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I dont think grass clumps aren't so bad. If my mower wasn't eating up so much grass it wouldn't be pooping it out..hee hee:cool2: Besides i'll just run them over like dog pooh

DLCS
04-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Buy a JD with a 7 Iron deck and you will be clump free. I don't need any blades other than high lifts.:)

Ed Ryder
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
My first rider was a Lesco Z2. It clumped way too much, even when conditions were dry. It drove me crazy.

I got an Everride Warrior - so much better! No clumping in dry conditions. Sometimes no clumping in wet conditions - which to me was amazing. But it isn't 100% clump free in the rain.

Frue
04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
I cannot say my toro does not thro them but it keeps them down compared to exmark and ferris.

04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Buy a JD with a 7 Iron deck and you will be clump free. I don't need any blades other than high lifts.:)

i just bought one and received it last week, cant wait to run it!! This rain has to STOP*trucewhiteflag*

jaybird24
04-05-2008, 11:32 AM
If there is truly something that works, let me know, half the time in summer it is so wet in the morning we end up waiting to start, just because I hate clumps. All mowers have made improvement in the last ten years, but I haven't found one that won't at least dump all the grass as soon as I have to go over pavement. What a pain. Has anybody got much experience with the meg-mo system, pros and cons.

04-05-2008, 11:38 AM
If there is truly something that works, let me know, half the time in summer it is so wet in the morning we end up waiting to start, just because I hate clumps. All mowers have made improvement in the last ten years, but I haven't found one that won't at least dump all the grass as soon as I have to go over pavement. What a pain. Has anybody got much experience with the meg-mo system, pros and cons.

We will usually trim everything first and whatever maintenance and save mowing for last. We also schedule the thinnest lawns for the am and thick lawns for the afternoon. Meg Mo's blow. We tried everything and they alllllll clump!!

jaybird24
04-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks Wintergreen. Yeah we try putting off the cutting, but alot of times the dew isn't gone till after 10am, so at some point we have to mow. We save anything that needs to be bagged for later in the day and I don't want to mix up schedules too much, so I guess I'll keep buying the biggest blowers I can find. We do bring along a 25 gal. tank of water with a pump to clean the pavement in case a hose is not handy, but thats the best I could come up with.

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks Wintergreen. Yeah we try putting off the cutting, but alot of times the dew isn't gone till after 10am, so at some point we have to mow. We save anything that needs to be bagged for later in the day and I don't want to mix up schedules too much, so I guess I'll keep buying the biggest blowers I can find. We do bring along a 25 gal. tank of water with a pump to clean the pavement in case a hose is not handy, but thats the best I could come up with.

Some ideas about the dumping clumps on the pavement, which most I'm sure you already know.

Try not to drive over curbs, or if you do, go EXTREMELY slow. As well as any time you go over the edge of the pavement.

Try to turn the blades off in an area that's away from line of sight for people.
Maybe the back corner of a lot, or behind a building that's a little thinner.

Get a flat shovel and you can just scoop the clumps up real quick, rather than trying to blow them across any distance of pavement / concrete, especially if said surface is wet.

jaybird24
04-05-2008, 01:21 PM
There's always something left that drops when we load up on the trailer, plus guys always seem to forget and they'll do something stupid like turning on a sidewalk or drive and shoot it all over. We do our best but it's bound to happen.

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2008, 01:27 PM
There's always something left that drops when we load up on the trailer, plus guys always seem to forget and they'll do something stupid like turning on a sidewalk or drive and shoot it all over. We do our best but it's bound to happen.

I agree, it's a complete pet peeve of mine as well, because it's just someone isn't thinking at that moment, and it's something that could, for the most part, be avioded.

Macdiesiel
04-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I run all exmarks,2- 60" 2-72" riders,1 36" walk behind. The 25 yrs in business I have found if you keep your blades sharp at least ever 2 days in the spring,keep the underside of your deck clean,and if the grass is thick jack it and wack it.I always get the higher Horse Power options too on every machine

tacoma200
04-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I am not bragging but I have been running the Scag Velocity Plus deck for over one year now with out a clump. Not one. I have cut some of the nastiest lawns, overgrown and wet and still no clumps. The chute opening is huge on this deck. The Velocity Plus deck does not recycle grass into very small pieces (it's much like the JD 7 Iron II in this respect) and the clipping may be long but due to the wide dispersion it is rarely ever a problem. The deck rarely ever needs scraping but I have done that on occasion because I like it clean and the blades sharp. This year is starting out saturated but I cut some 9 inch grass down to 3 inches over a septic field and it was very wet. I thought at one time it was going to clump but it just fell apart. I did go over this area a second time to clear up the clippings but this was an exception. My Exmark which I love just couldn't have done that (Ultra Cut). The Scag is hard to beat as an extreme condition grass cutter. I hear the 7 Iron II is just as good. With the Velocity I give up very little cut quality for the ability to cut in extreme conditions. Don't get me wrong the cut is very good but not on par with the Utra cut when cutting in dry normal conditions. I think Toro has made an attempt to create a deck that will do both cut grass up very fine or adjust the discharge for tall wet grass (Turbo Force) but for some reason they are not lining up at the Toro dealer to buy them. I have dealers in the area that sell both Toro and Exmark and Exmark is by far the better seller for some reason.

ccl
04-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I really don't think there is a machine out there that won't produce clumps in wet conditions, I've used Grasshopper, exmark, hustler and scags. Exmarks are by far the worst for clumping(ultracut), the scag (Advantage Deck) does a really good job after I opened up the discharge opening and switched to the 3" wide super lift blades, it doesn't totally eliminate them but it's 90% better than anything else I've used, including the MEG-MO blades. Anyone who has the old style Hustler deck will benefit greatly also by opening the discharge and switching to the 3" super lift blades, it made a big difference on those mowers also.

tacoma200
04-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I really don't think there is a machine out there that won't produce clumps in wet conditions, I've used Grasshopper, exmark, hustler and scags. Exmarks are by far the worst for clumping(ultracut), the scag (Advantage Deck) does a really good job after I opened up the discharge opening and switched to the 3" wide super lift blades, it doesn't totally eliminate them but it's 90% better than anything else I've used, including the MEG-MO blades. Anyone who has the old style Hustler deck will benefit greatly also by opening the discharge and switching to the 3" super lift blades, it made a big difference on those mowers also.

I see that you have opened up you discharge and say it helped. I have never used an Advantage deck but those that have say the Velocity was a great improvement. Just look how much room there is in front of the blades on this deck. The deck has to be longer in order to achieve this, this is the reason you can't get a 72" Velocity deck. There would not be enough room under the deck. There are probably a few deeper decks but I doubt there is another 61" deck with the volume/space to process grass that the Velocity has. I think Scag wanted the extra space in front of the blade to allow the grass to stand up to be cut and for the extremely large discharge chute. That's just me take. It is going to be a wetter year this year but so far no clumping in site.

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Again, it's going to depend on your turf type, thickness, etc.

In my experience, things are drastically improving.

Back in 2000 I stopped buying any mower that promoted "mulching" of the grass blade.

The first thing I looked at was discharge opening.

Second thing I looked at was horsepower.

Every year I harped on reps at open houses, "get the discharge chute bigger".

Now, both the Velocity deck aforementioned, as well as the new Kubota decks are wide open underneath, allowing clear passage of the cut grass.

4curbappeal
04-05-2008, 05:38 PM
The Jackson entp. 60" with 50hp (and I think it has high lifts) is all I have used that doesnt clump! Newer co. with a msrp of around $14K!

4curbappeal
04-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Roy,

I believe what your saying, but you also need 30+ hp to run meg mo's! That is just my opinion!

jaybird24
04-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I've run scags also and they were very good, but it still would do some with these cool season grasses, more so on a nice thick lawn than on rough overgrown stuff. The grass here is just plain sticky when it is wet. I think the best improvement is that piece of metal from the back of the chute going toward the spindle that keep the grass from recycling. I believe scag came up with it, but everyone uses it now. Tacoma, we just picked up a Toro 580z and 558z, so in a month or so I can let you know how the deck performs.

jaybird24
04-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Tacoma- as far as the exmark outselling Toro I think it has alot to do with name recognition. Exmark has been making great mowers for our type of work for like 30 years. Toro really never cared to until they bought them, now you see the exmark technology coming to Toro, and after reviewing them both I believe that Toro make as good as if not a better product than exmark, I know I'll get beaten down for saying that, but thats what I think.

RTR Landscaping
04-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Scag Velocity Decks never clump.You can't do better for wet or tall grass.

tacoma200
04-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Tacoma- as far as the exmark outselling Toro I think it has alot to do with name recognition. Exmark has been making great mowers for our type of work for like 30 years. Toro really never cared to until they bought them, now you see the exmark technology coming to Toro, and after reviewing them both I believe that Toro make as good as if not a better product than exmark, I know I'll get beaten down for saying that, but thats what I think.

Yes, I think you are correct, the Exmark name is more widely associated with commercial ZTR's and they really promote themselves. They are basically the same machine with the biggest differences being the engine selection and deck, or at least that's my impression. I rarely hear a complaint about the Turbo Force. In fact there were 3 crews (different LCO's) and we were stopped by a Toro distributor a few years back after seeing Exmarks, etc on our trailers. He grouped us up and told us of all the advantages, especially in deck and spindle strength of the Toro over Exmark. He said "Yes, Toro owns Exmark but we still compete against each other". It took us all by surprise and of course he was trying to get the local Toro dealer to sell more units. But we listened even though we were in a hurry.

mag360
04-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I am not bragging but I have been running the Scag Velocity Plus deck for over one year now with out a clump. Not one. I have cut some of the nastiest lawns, overgrown and wet and still no clumps. The chute opening is huge on this deck. The Velocity Plus deck does not recycle grass into very small pieces (it's much like the JD 7 Iron II in this respect) and the clipping may be long but due to the wide dispersion it is rarely ever a problem. The deck rarely ever needs scraping but I have done that on occasion because I like it clean and the blades sharp. This year is starting out saturated but I cut some 9 inch grass down to 3 inches over a septic field and it was very wet. I thought at one time it was going to clump but it just fell apart. I did go over this area a second time to clear up the clippings but this was an exception. My Exmark which I love just couldn't have done that (Ultra Cut). The Scag is hard to beat as an extreme condition grass cutter. I hear the 7 Iron II is just as good. With the Velocity I give up very little cut quality for the ability to cut in extreme conditions. Don't get me wrong the cut is very good but not on par with the Utra cut when cutting in dry normal conditions. I think Toro has made an attempt to create a deck that will do both cut grass up very fine or adjust the discharge for tall wet grass (Turbo Force) but for some reason they are not lining up at the Toro dealer to buy them. I have dealers in the area that sell both Toro and Exmark and Exmark is by far the better seller for some reason.

Same story here in southeast pa (thick lush lawns). The velocity plus has got to be the best option for mowing in the rain. We ran it side by side all last season with a deere 7-iron 1 deck and the scag is the guaranteed no clump machine (7-iron 1 is great too, and more compact, but not quite as reliable in the wet stuff as the velocity plus deck).

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I have run Meg-mos for years.....with 23hp kawi's......they run just fine......I mainly use them for leaves........

mag360
04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I have run Meg-mos for years.....with 23hp kawi's......they run just fine......I mainly use them for leaves........

They work well for some---not as well for others. Their return policy makes it worthwhile to try them---but they are not necessarily the answer to all our problems

DLCS
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Why do you only use them for leaves?

tacoma200
04-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Same story here in southeast pa (thick lush lawns). The velocity plus has got to be the best option for mowing in the rain. We ran it side by side all last season with a deere 7-iron 1 deck and the scag is the guaranteed no clump machine (7-iron 1 is great too, and more compact, but not quite as reliable in the wet stuff as the velocity plus deck).

That's interesting, you don't get many first hand reports of Scag and Deere side by side in Northern grasses. I don't know how much better the 7 Iron II is than the original.

ccl
04-06-2008, 12:08 AM
tacoma, what part of Kentucky are you from? I live in London, Ky, about 75mls south of Lexington. I've heard nothing but good things about the new Velocity decks by Scag, I just haven't had a chance to use one yet, but look foward to it when I purchase a new Scag next year. Have you tried the 3" wide super lift blades on the Velocity deck? I would imagine it would improve it even more, they really sling the clippings and disperses them great on the Advantage decks.

tacoma200
04-06-2008, 01:10 AM
tacoma, what part of Kentucky are you from? I live in London, Ky, about 75mls south of Lexington. I've heard nothing but good things about the new Velocity decks by Scag, I just haven't had a chance to use one yet, but look foward to it when I purchase a new Scag next year. Have you tried the 3" wide super lift blades on the Velocity deck? I would imagine it would improve it even more, they really sling the clippings and disperses them great on the Advantage decks.

I live on the West side of Lake Cumberland, 30 miles west of Somerset. I just drove close to London Friday on the way to Richmond. The grass mix looks much the same. The deck came out with blade part # 482879 which my Scag dealer orders for me. They have a taller wider sail than what he carries in stock. They cut so well I'm afraid to switch. I have no complaints. Mow Pro Lawn Service (a member here) is from Berea and runs Scag. He was one of those that got me to thinking about Scag if I remember correctly. I didn't like Scag at the time because of the heavy dampening on the levers and some may say dated appearance. A few hundred hours later I'm sold on Scag. Scag is very detailed oriented on the things that mater most.

ccl
04-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Tacoma, which Scag dealer do you deal with?

tacoma200
04-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Tacoma, which Scag dealer do you deal with?

All Seasons Lawn- Somerset is where I usually go but it is a small dealership. But,

Equipment Sales & Rental -
1399 East New Circle Road view map
Lexington KY 40505
Phone: 859-269-8575
They are a Pro Gold Dealer in Lexington that meets higher standards and usually have given me the lowest prices on Scag ZTR's. I would call the Lexington Dealers and at least get an idea of what a good price is on different models, then you can buy from them or have a little bargaining power with the local dealer. Your local dealer may not match the price of the larger dealerships but when you tell them the prices you have heard they will try to get as close as they can. It's your decision. It's always best to get a few prices from different dealers even if you buy local to make sure you know where you stand.

I bought the Turf Tiger I have now from a feed store that had decided to go into the mower business and then needed to move it cheap after things were not going so well. I wouldn't recommend them. I just got lucky.

ccl
04-06-2008, 02:26 AM
All Seasons is who I've dealt with on all my Scag and Grasshopper mowers, they are small but I've never had a problem with parts or service, they've always went out of their way help me out. I've always bargained K&T Saw Shop and All Seasons against each other on my mower purchases, just because Scags and Exmarks are the most competitive companies around here, and none of the dealers here in london can come close to the price quotes I get in Somerset. It's kind of a pain to drive 30 mls if something goes wrong, but it's worth it for price difference in the dealers. I'll definately check out the Lexington dealer when that time comes, I know where they are located, just never thought about contacting them because of the distance.

tacoma200
04-06-2008, 03:43 AM
All Seasons is who I've dealt with on all my Scag and Grasshopper mowers, they are small but I've never had a problem with parts or service, they've always went out of their way help me out. I've always bargained K&T Saw Shop and All Seasons against each other on my mower purchases, just because Scags and Exmarks are the most competitive companies around here, and none of the dealers here in london can come close to the price quotes I get in Somerset. It's kind of a pain to drive 30 mls if something goes wrong, but it's worth it for price difference in the dealers. I'll definately check out the Lexington dealer when that time comes, I know where they are located, just never thought about contacting them because of the distance.

Like I said I'm all for going with the local dealer. But the Pro Gold Scag dealers in Lexington will usually have lower prices due to volume (not sure) and then you can go in and cut a deal with All Seasons or if you get Exmark maybe K+T. I have bought from both. If I got a Scag at All Seasons they would probably have to order it since the selection is small. So even then you are better off to go to a big dealer and find what you want and like, then your local dealer can order one if he hasn't one in stock. All seasons usually doesn't carry any Scags with over 27 hp so you see where I'm coming from. I'm not going to need one for a few years anyway. I like All Seasons service better than K+T (they are very busy). I've had to call the manager at K+T to get things moving before. He was very nice and apologized for lack of service and got me going. I don't have any choice but driving at least 30 miles to a dealer. If I need my Scag back fast I tell All Seasons to have the parts overnight from Scag (which Scag and Exmark both offer this service) but I have to pay the shipping fee which is a small price to pay to get back in service. I bought my first ZTR from All Season, a little 220 Grasshopper, I was just learning and didn't get a big enough machine I found out later.

greengiant9963
04-06-2008, 04:35 AM

I have the same results. The 7 iron is very good when cutting in wet conditions but the Velocity is better. I have ran them both.