PDA

View Full Version : 2 STROKE Multi Tools

4 seasons lawn&land
03-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Whats the best 2 stroke multi tool? I just dont like 4 strokes. Should I be looking fo a used Stihl? I want one that has a larger engine for clearing brush along with all the attatchment stuff but all the ones Im looking at are either 4 strokes or have small engines... what to do...

Breezmister
03-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Whats the best 2 stroke multi tool? I just dont like 4 strokes. .

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=1

yungman
03-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Whats the best 2 stroke multi tool? I just dont like 4 strokes. Should I be looking fo a used Stihl? I want one that has a larger engine for clearing brush along with all the attatchment stuff but all the ones Im looking at are either 4 strokes or have small engines... what to do...

Did you look at Maruyama site that I gave you. I heard good things about them and they have 5 years commercial warrante. They are the only one other than Stihl that offer 30cc+ 1.7hp multi tool units.

I think it is good decision to stay with 2 cycles. Maruyama is not much lower horse power than KM130. There is no other ones I know of, I have been searching myself also. I was thinking about KM130 for a few weeks until I see so many concerns that I cannot ignore anymore. I'm afraid this is it, all the other ones like Redmax, Echo etc. are just 25cc. If that is too small for you, think Maruyama. if you find anything big, please post it, I am interested in it too.:waving:

S man
03-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Check this out.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=200209203677&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

Just Mow
03-29-2008, 03:06 PM
KM130 by Stihl is a beast. Lot's of power and everything is built well. We have 2 130's and the older KM85 and we use the 130 almost exclusively. Awesome unit.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Did you look at Maruyama site that I gave you. I heard good things about them and they have 5 years commercial warrante. They are the only one other than Stihl that offer 30cc+ 1.7hp multi tool units.

I think it is good decision to stay with 2 cycles. Maruyama is not much lower horse power than KM130. There is no other ones I know of, I have been searching myself also. I was thinking about KM130 for a few weeks until I see so many concerns that I cannot ignore anymore. I'm afraid this is it, all the other ones like Redmax, Echo etc. are just 25cc. If that is too small for you, think Maruyama. if you find anything big, please post it, I am interested in it too.:waving:

It looks like they dont offer a broom and I have to have one. It looks like I'll be going used. Small engine 2 strokes are just far better than 4 strokes which only exist because of emission regulations.

yungman
03-29-2008, 11:14 PM
It looks like they dont offer a broom and I have to have one. It looks like I'll be going used. Small engine 2 strokes are just far better than 4 strokes which only exist because of emission regulations.

I want to clarify, broom, you mean like a nylon round brush? Good luck!!!! Only Echo have that, that is what I want too!!!:cry:I want the same thing, 30+cc 2 cycle, with broom and short articulate hedge trimmer.......In our dreams!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing: I don't want to say no just in case I was wrong, that's why I told you to go fish!!!!:laugh:

Hate to tell you, there ain't none!!!! I have been searching for a while already. Go for two separate units, you might have better chance. I just go for total separate stuff. You can get good, light weight, reliable 2 cycle trimmer like Redmax BCZ3001S, 11.3lb, 30cc 1.7hp. Stihl have the Yard Boss that have the broom, de-thatcher, aerator. I just bought a Mantis because of the Honda engine. Husky multi tool with short reach hedge clipper and pole saw.

Let us know what you end up. I am alway interested in different ideas.

:waving::waving:

Happy Frog
03-29-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't really understand why you would need so much power.
Echo could have made a PAS-280 and they chose to make a PAS-265 instead.
This must tell you something...

hosejockey2002
03-29-2008, 11:57 PM
I'll give my opinion about Kombi tools. I had a KM85 "Pro" that was giving me fits, not running right, in and out of the shop, etc. I bought a KM55R as a "backup", and even though it is a "cheap homeowner" version, it has just as much power as the 85, and has actually been more reliable. If I were to replace it I probably would get the KM 130, but the "cheap" little KM55 has been great to me.

delphied
03-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Ive got Shindaiwa 2 stroke multi and like it alot. You can get ant broom you want for it I believe.

weve
03-30-2008, 12:53 AM
I have the Echo PAS 260 and the old 2100SB power units. Attachments that I have are the string trimmer, edger, power pruner, extended hedge clipper, and articulating hedge clipper. I use the 260 most of the time but still like the lighter weight 2100 for use with the extended hedge clipper. Reaching across large shrubs at near shoulder height is easier for me with less weight.

yungman
03-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Ive got Shindaiwa 2 stroke multi and like it alot. You can get ant broom you want for it I believe.

I don't know that's the power broom he want, because he claimed Maruyama don't have that attachment. I verified in the catalog, Maruyama does have something like the Shindaiwa Power Broom attachment, that was the reason I assumed what he meant was the nylon brush broom.

cgaengineer
03-30-2008, 02:14 AM

I used to be a 2 stroke believer myself...but when I got the BR600 I then decided to get the KM130...you cannot compare its power to a 2 stroke...the KM130 will hands down beat a 2 stroke.

Its easy to start (Only choke...never used the primer bulb)
Plenty of power
No smoke
Quiet
Did I mention it had lots of power?

Zooropa93
03-30-2008, 03:45 AM
I'll give my opinion about Kombi tools. I had a KM85 "Pro" that was giving me fits, not running right, in and out of the shop, etc. I bought a KM55R as a "backup", and even though it is a "cheap homeowner" version, it has just as much power as the 85, and has actually been more reliable. If I were to replace it I probably would get the KM 130, but the "cheap" little KM55 has been great to me.

I'm intrigued about the problems with the KM85 cause that powerhead is/was one of the most reliable engines stihl has ever built. They used to use that motor in a whole bunch of products FS75/80/85/KM85/FC75/85/HT75/HS80/85Unfortunately that engine is now only used in the soon to be discontinued FS80 and FC75 since it can't even come close to passing the current EPA emissions standards. It's been eating up stihl's EPA credits for years and it's a wonder they haven't had to phase it out sooner. As for the 55, for what it is it's a decent unit. Although it's only a 1hp homeowner unit I rarely see them in the shop.

delphied
03-30-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't know that's the power broom he want, because he claimed Maruyama don't have that attachment. I verified in the catalog, Maruyama does have something like the Shindaiwa Power Broom attachment, that was the reason I assumed what he meant was the nylon brush broom.

You can get rubber paddle or nylon with Shinny and who knows what else. I was told that with Shinny just about every combo can be made up.

cgaengineer
03-30-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm intrigued about the problems with the KM85 cause that powerhead is/was one of the most reliable engines stihl has ever built. They used to use that motor in a whole bunch of products FS75/80/85/KM85/FC75/85/HT75/HS80/85Unfortunately that engine is now only used in the soon to be discontinued FS80 and FC75 since it can't even come close to passing the current EPA emissions standards. It's been eating up stihl's EPA credits for years and it's a wonder they haven't had to phase it out sooner. As for the 55, for what it is it's a decent unit. Although it's only a 1hp homeowner unit I rarely see them in the shop.

Only problem I have had with my 55 was the on/off switch...it busted 3 times.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I would like to get a bristle style broom but the rubber paddle style is the one I have to have. I want at least the rubber broom and the option to get all the other stuff as i need it. The reason I want a big bore is to brush clear with metal blades.

GravelyNut
03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I would like to get a bristle style broom but the rubber paddle style is the one I have to have. I want at least the rubber broom and the option to get all the other stuff as i need it. The reason I want a big bore is to brush clear with metal blades.
Then check the Stihl out. They make a bristle brush ( KB ) and a rubber ( KW ) version for the Kombi units.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-30-2008, 11:57 AM
I want to clarify, broom, you mean like a nylon round brush? Good luck!!!! Only Echo have that, that is what I want too!!!:cry:I want the same thing, 30+cc 2 cycle, with broom and short articulate hedge trimmer.......In our dreams!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing: I don't want to say no just in case I was wrong, that's why I told you to go fish!!!!:laugh:

Hate to tell you, there ain't none!!!! I have been searching for a while already. Go for two separate units, you might have better chance. I just go for total separate stuff. You can get good, light weight, reliable 2 cycle trimmer like Redmax BCZ3001S, 11.3lb, 30cc 1.7hp. Stihl have the Yard Boss that have the broom, de-thatcher, aerator. I just bought a Mantis because of the Honda engine. Husky multi tool with short reach hedge clipper and pole saw.

Let us know what you end up. I am alway interested in different ideas.

:waving::waving:

The biggest Red Max Multi Tool is a 23cc according to their website.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-30-2008, 12:10 PM

from what I can find on the Maru. site, the only accessories they have are different heads, no brooms, tillers, edgers, saws, anything like that...:confused:

4 seasons lawn&land
03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
why doesnt Red Max or Echo list the HP for their multi tools? I have Stihl at 1.9, Tanaka at 1.3, and shindaiwa at 1.1, curious about the Red Max and Echo 260 numbers.

yungman
03-30-2008, 01:01 PM
from what I can find on the Maru. site, the only accessories they have are different heads, no brooms, tillers, edgers, saws, anything like that...:confused:

Try this thread from Maruyama:

http://www.maruyama-us.com/uploadedFiles/Maruyama_US/Support/Specification_Sheets/NMC-ATTACHMENTS.pdf

I saw the broom on the catalog, don't know why is not on the pdf file here!!

4 seasons lawn&land
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know if the weights that Stihl gives are right? I have a hard time believing that there 4 stokes have the same or more power and weigh the same as the competitors 2 strokes.

yungman
03-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know if the weights that Stihl gives are right? I have a hard time believing that there 4 stokes have the same or more power and weigh the same as the competitors 2 strokes.

They are relative light, why? You are running out of option!!! Make sure you use their Ultra oil and don't do more oil than 50:1.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-30-2008, 09:25 PM
They are relative light, why? You are running out of option!!! Make sure you use their Ultra oil and don't do more oil than 50:1.

I got confused reading this. Im not sure what you mean. Theyre light because Im running out of options...:confused:

yungman
03-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I got confused reading this. Im not sure what you mean. Theyre light because Im running out of options...:confused:

I jumped!! What I mean is I picked up a few of the Stihl trimmer, they are kind of light for the power, so I think the spec. is true.

Then I comment about your asking about KM130 again. Before you don't want to consider 4 cycle, the option you want, the broom, pole saw and big engine, KM130 is about the only option you have other than Maruyama.

I don't know why Maruyama have the power broom in the 2007 catalog but not show up on their site. I would call the dealer to verify before you make the final decision. The catalog usually more accurate from my experience.

For your info, I want the big engine also even I know 24 to 25cc will do the job. I just like to have a bigger engine!!! Bigger is better!!!! It is my money and is my choice!!!:laugh::laugh: That is why I took your word at face value and look for the big engine only. I bought a 15 lb Honda 31cc trimmer!!!! That's what I want!!!

Hope that clear things up.:waving:

Just Mow
03-31-2008, 12:07 AM
why doesnt Red Max or Echo list the HP for their multi tools? I have Stihl at 1.9, Tanaka at 1.3, and shindaiwa at 1.1, curious about the Red Max and Echo 260 numbers.

Because they don't produce the power.
The 25cc Echo unit produces about 3/4 hp and the 25cc Stihl produces 1.27hp. No comparison.

J&R Landscaping
03-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Echo PAS 260/265. I would recomend that unit. The next one in line would be the Shindaiwa but thats a 2/4 stroke.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-31-2008, 12:22 AM
I jumped!! What I mean is I picked up a few of the Stihl trimmer, they are kind of light for the power, so I think the spec. is true.

Then I comment about your asking about KM130 again. Before you don't want to consider 4 cycle, the option you want, the broom, pole saw and big engine, KM130 is about the only option you have other than Maruyama.

I don't know why Maruyama have the power broom in the 2007 catalog but not show up on their site. I would call the dealer to verify before you make the final decision. The catalog usually more accurate from my experience.

For your info, I want the big engine also even I know 24 to 25cc will do the job. I just like to have a bigger engine!!! Bigger is better!!!! It is my money and is my choice!!!:laugh::laugh: That is why I took your word at face value and look for the big engine only. I bought a 15 lb Honda 31cc trimmer!!!! That's what I want!!!

Hope that clear things up.:waving:

thanks for explaining that. What kind of accessories can you get for that honda? I looked at their site and it says to contact a dealer for info about accesories.

yungman
03-31-2008, 12:36 AM
thanks for explaining that. What kind of accessories can you get for that honda? I looked at their site and it says to contact a dealer for info about accesories.

None!!!! Not what you want to hear!!! That's why I never even mensioned it. They don't have anything!!! I have a round saw blade!!! It is powerful and very quiet. It dosen't smell. One pull start. Honda should be ultra reliable.....You are going to get in shape( or better shape ) using it because it is heavy. I was choosing between Honda and Redmax BCZ3001S, it was a close call. That Redmax don't have much options either....before you get your hopes up high!!!:laugh::laugh:

Good luck. Let us know what you end up with.

Cooter
03-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Dont forget the Husqvarna units. They seem real nice.