PDA

View Full Version : unemployed

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 12:08 AM
I got a $1000.00 think i can get my self started on that much, and if so what would you first do, have my own truck at least.I really don't want to have to go back to working for some one else.

BCFLawnLandscape
03-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Good Luck... This is such a saturated market now that I wouldn't recommend anyone starting out new to get into the business. WAYYY too much competition and its driving the prices into the ground. Plus the economy is in the crapper!!! not a good time to start working for yourself. We've been in business for 4 years now and we're struggling!

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 01:51 AM
ok well for right off i don't mind what i make, i live off my brother and house is paid for he bearly makes over min wage and been there 9 years don't want that to happen to me.I'm not going to mow a yard under $40 eaither ,unless its just mowing no trim

amscapes03
03-29-2008, 02:32 AM
1. Have you done lawn maintenance before. If so, how long?
2. How big is your truck?

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 02:38 AM
yah i have, more mowing then anything else. 5 years just doing my own.

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 02:39 AM
S10 truck small one eh.

topsites
03-29-2008, 03:54 AM
That's all fine and dandy except we done had our good times, the big hooplah came and the money was all right and then...
Well, just watch the news, the rest is too long a story.

Good Luck... This is such a saturated market now that I wouldn't recommend anyone starting out new to get into the business. WAYYY too much competition and its driving the prices into the ground. Plus the economy is in the crapper!!! not a good time to start working for yourself. We've been in business for 4 years now and we're struggling!

You said it, 7th year here, same bad news.
The worst of it is, at least some is my own dang fault.

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 03:59 AM
i really don't need alot of money im secure as far as food and home.

kleankutslawn
03-29-2008, 03:59 AM
this is a rough biz at this time

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 04:06 AM
well i'm no low baller thats for sure

Rhett
03-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Now the million dollar question. Yes. Start with smallest mower you will need. That would be a 22 inch. Throw in a combi system. One power head multiple attachments. Add one blower. Now distribute door hangers liberally. Work tail end off. Put money into larger mower and trailer. Add second power head. Work tail end off. Repeat. TA DA

KrayzKajun
03-29-2008, 11:29 AM
been in business for 4 years. still struggling, this is gunna be the make or break year!

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
thats about my plan, hope not i always liked reading your threads. krazy that would be messed up if you quite. not much more i can get i guess. my thought is you don't mow your lawn you get fined, you don't pay the fine you go to jail, not everyone can mow there forced to pay for the services.

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 01:57 PM
dogs sure are gonna be angry when they see me walking the mower and not them.

stevenf
03-29-2008, 03:42 PM
been in business for 4 years. still struggling, this is gunna be the make or break year!

Not trying to piss anyone off, but the ones that say your still struggleing after 4-6ish years in business needs to look at there equipment. Do you absolutely need an 06 4x4 chevy to get the job done, or could you have held back on equipment a little longer???

ALC-GregH
03-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Not trying to piss anyone off, but the ones that say your still struggling after 4-6ish years in business needs to look at there equipment. Do you absolutely need an 06 4x4 Chevy to get the job done, or could you have held back on equipment a little longer???

I was thinking the same thing. I intend on getting started with a Yardman 42" riding mower, a cheap push mower a Echo trimmer and blower along with a 5x8 trailer.

I have a simple question, what do you do if a clients yard is full of kids toys and/or other objects laying around in the yard? Is this something you expect the client to have picked up before you pull in or are you expected to clean it all up before you can mow? My guess is that I'll need to inform clients that picking up objects, rolling hoses or cords up is not included in the contract and that it is expected to be clear of foreign objects and other items prior to the scheduled service. Am I even close on this?

Lawn-Sharks
03-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Im suprised! No one asked if your going to to do it legal way by getting your license or Insurance,workmans comp (or exemption) Ect. bla..bla..bla.. Dont take what im saying wrong i really hate to see anyone unemployed & hurting for money but enough times in here ive seen thread Starting out with how much legit LCO's cant stand people starting Lawn businesses and getting lowballed out of work by the new guys who aren't even running a legal business...and im not saying your a lowballer or ever will be but at some point when you aint getting the business you thought you were.. you'll drop them prices to put food on the table and the LCO's in your area will find out faster then you think. But i wish you the best of luck starting your new business:waving:...Any thought on a name yet

Lawn-Sharks
03-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Turfrific
You ever seen a Lawn company out your way call Multi Family Services???
If so let me know my buddy is the head sh!t for them and oversee's 800accounts and if you need some advice he'll be more then happy to help you out..

Roger
03-29-2008, 09:02 PM
....what do you do if a clients yard is full of kids toys and/or other objects laying around in the yard? Is this something you expect the client to have picked up before you pull in or are you expected to clean it all up before you can mow? My guess is that I'll need to inform clients that picking up objects, rolling hoses or cords up is not included in the contract and that it is expected to be clear of foreign objects and other items prior to the scheduled service. Am I even close on this?

You can expect all those things (picked up objects, hoses, cords). But, in all likelihood your expectations will remain just that, expectations that go unfulfilled. I have seen too many who are excited the first couple of weeks, run out to do these tasks, but after a few weeks, they are nowhere to be found. In other words, no matter what your verbal or written agreement might say, don't expect it to find this done through the season.

The customer might have one of several reasons (excuses?) to provide, "... I wasn't home," "... didn't know the kids were out there," "... we were gone for the weekend," or "... we think it is a small thing, and you should do the pickup."

If you choose to put language in your agreement as a remedy, then be prepared to enforce it. That might included dropping the customer. Depending on how large your operation, you could have many holes in your schedule after the first couple of months.

I have found the same pattern on residential customer picking up after their dog, ... willing to do it for a couple of weeks, then never again.

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 09:12 PM
thinking picking up dog poo will be my niche everyone needs one.few threads up i posted foods not a problem and house is owned so i don't need to make alot of money.multi family services heard of them, never knew they were that type of company.

Turfrific
03-29-2008, 09:18 PM
don't think ill get near as much work with out being able to say im insured,im try just for $50.000 liability that way i can tell them im insured and not have to pay that much.just thought of somthing, my sister has insurance under my last name, liability for janitorial service, would it be cheaper to just add my self on that.

Roger
03-29-2008, 09:22 PM
...,im try just for $50.000 liability that way i can tell them im insured ...

I suggest $1,000,000 liability. I think that is the minimum an insurance agent will write for you. "... telling them im insured ..." will hold no weight if you have a claim against you. The coverage is what matters.

Turfrific
03-30-2008, 01:03 AM
ok so thats what my sister does, i'm going to post another thread asking about that.

Atlantic Lawn
03-30-2008, 07:44 AM
maybe think about becoming a painter, low start up cost for that one as well.

OUTLANDER
03-30-2008, 11:41 AM
no,don't be in it for money alone,you gotta like what you are doing,and have drive,and passion................and yes i kinda agree,those of you struggling,maybe should of thought about all the overhead you can get into,besides i don't think i ever want a truck i can't put to work,cuz its too nice,and most important not paid for..........i'm sure some things might come into play here,but if i can help it i want to pay cash for my business,so the only thing making or breaking is my back through hard work ya know

Turfrific
03-30-2008, 11:44 AM
half the people i know do that, they complain about head problems and breathing. i don't ever want to have to get up more then 10 feet high, alot of them have to. iv'e always liked lawn care from the time i was young, and my dad would take me to out post electric buildings and mow them.