PDA

View Full Version : Cummins or PowerStroke

Mowman
11-26-2001, 08:52 AM
A guy told me this morning that the Cummins is better in the mileage department than the PSD. He has owned nothing but FORDS. He says a friend of his has a Dodge w/ Cummins and will get way better fuel mileage than his PSD. Said that pulling the same weight of trailers the Cummins will get about 17mpg compared to his 11mpg. He said he'd like to have a Cummins for this reason but can't bring himself to driving a DODGE. Can any of you comment on this? Trucks have the same gear ratio in them, both 4WD. Was leaning toward the PSD, now after hearing this I might have to LOOK a little harder at a Dodge.
Thanks,
Mowman

odin
11-26-2001, 11:59 AM
MOWMAN
Another option is the izusu duramax that is in chevys .I dont have mine yet it is on order but my dad already has one and he says he gets almost 20 miles agallon its a 4x4 puling a huge boat
BUT that would be mostly open highway driveing mileage

a1 lawncare
11-26-2001, 06:03 PM
i have had 3 cummins/dodge trucks my best empty milage was 21.1 mpg, everyday driving in town i get about 18.5 driving the way i like to drive, i can baby it and do a little better, the only time i've ever checked my towing milage was pulling my bass boat out to missouri, i got 15.7, boat is around 3k#, i am tickeled to get this kind of milage with a 3/4 ton 4x4. on the psd, my dad has one 1 ton dually 4x4 and he says he gets around 15 empty around town little better on the road, with a load he says he'll get around 11-12 depending on the weight of the load, it does however pull better than any of the dodges i've had, but for what i need the dodge is more than adequate. the only thing i'll ding the dodges on is they need better brakes...

on peoples milage watch out for fudge factors, i dont know how some people figure there milage, unless its the same way i figure my old ford, 2 mpg in town 4 on the road =24mpg

best of luck on your search for a new ride, keith

landscaper3
11-26-2001, 07:40 PM
We own 2 Fords 1tons with diesels, one chevy with a 454 and a dodge with a 360 gas. We also had 2 Dodges with cummings motors (awsome engines) we had trany problems with them do to commercial plowing and doing extensive research on them alot not all but alot had SAME problems we did so we changed to Ford and there AOED trany isnt much better but on 1 has been replaced instead of 4 dodges. We get 20mpg on PSD 4WD 1ton truck and 16 with the dual wheel one, we got 20mpg with our cummings truck and 14mpg with our dually one. The best truck would be Ford body, cummings motor and allison trany. Boy that would be a truck. To give you an idea cummings are 2 cylinders less and around 100CI less then ford and duramax and seeing all 3 on dynos they are at rear wheel within 28hp from eachother. Our PSD pickup with hop ups run 309hp and 663LBS

Mgardner
11-26-2001, 08:46 PM
I owned a 93 F-250 w\ Navistar 445c.i. diesel,then ran a new 97 powerstrokeF-250 both 4wd. The 93 got good mileage and had 3:56 gears ,the 97 got bad mileage with 4:10 ratio. I sold the 97 went to Nothern Iowa from an add and bought sight unseen a 91 Dodge with Cummins-5speed-3:55 gears. Dont have anything bad to say about the Fords but I really like that Cummins for any kind of work. The previous post about the Ford with the Cummins and Allison trans is exactly what I`ve aways said too.Knock on wood the 5 speed has held up ,but I`m the only one that drives it and I know I could pull the guts out of it but it is my only bread winner.Plow with it,pull goosneck trailer,landscape trailer all year round and the damn thing just begs for more.

dhicks
11-26-2001, 09:52 PM
While I didn't have a load, I averaged 21.6 MPG in my Duramax coming back from Ontario. I expect future milage to be even better as it just turned 4K miles coming home.

Pulling my rig, I typically get 14-16 MPG and thats a combination of highway and city streets.

odin
11-26-2001, 09:58 PM
dhicks

Then my dads must be getting some good mileage ?because he's'geting almost 20 pulling a monster boat

Bunton Guy
11-27-2001, 08:47 PM
I had a Motocross race in PA and comming from Charlotte nc I got 18 mpg in my 01 F-350 PSD pulling a 8,000 # enclosed trailer...beleive me no arrowdynamics was with either of these vehicles.

John DiMartino
11-27-2001, 09:12 PM
If fuel mileage is your biggest concern,the Cummins,or duramax will probably do the best.We towed with both,2 boats,the duramax got as good as the Cummins,the Dodge is a 2wd dually,the Duramax is 4wd 2500,so it probably equals out there.The pwerstroke is good on fuel from what ive seen,too,just not qiute as good as the Cummins/Duramax.I get 16-18.5 with my 2000 Dodge Cummins,auto,which to me is amazing if you seen how heavy my foot is.I also have 4.10 gears.With all diesels,the biggest thing is RPM's,on the highway,if i drive my truck sanely,at 65 mph,I can easily get 21mpg,but if i crank it up to 85,it drops to 15,but i think my 4.10 gears are to blame too.I still feel for pulling a lot of weight the Cummins has no equal,at least mine and my dads dont,mildly hopped up these motors make gobs of torque,and can hold top gear up 95% of the grades with most any trailer.

penn955
11-27-2001, 10:44 PM
Last year I purchased a Dodge Cummins 4x4 with the 6 speed H.O. for towing and plowing. Stock it pulled skid steers and small rollers fine but I found out I could spend $1500 and have 350 hp and 700ft lbs at the rear wheels reliably. The thing now pulls like a MONSTER. Fuel mileage is 20-22 empty and 14 -15 loaded. If you want the best fuel economy find a used 12 valve cummins. They are by far the best on fuel. We had a 98 auto 4x4 3.54 gear and it would not get under 20mpg loaded or not.

KirbysLawn
11-27-2001, 11:31 PM
You can't go wrong with either. I got the Ford for room with the crew cab, the Dodges have a history of bad transmissions. As stated above the Chevy is also a good consideration.

odin
11-27-2001, 11:44 PM
Thats right guys ford chevy dodge just keep it american!!!

LoneStarLawn
11-28-2001, 12:20 PM
Cummins and Powerstroke are good engines.

It is the other factors like tranny that keeps me away from Dodge.

HOMER
12-18-2001, 07:45 AM
For those of you that have had tranny problems with the Dodge..............how does it start out? I'm feeling something a little unusual when in low gear (mine is auto with 3.55 gears). If I creep along with a load I feel a little jerking sensation. When I give it throttle it doesn't do it.

I'm wondering if this isn't a sign of things to come, should I get her checked out. Plenty of warranty left.

thelawnguy
12-18-2001, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by HOMER
For those of you that have had tranny problems with the Dodge..............how does it start out?

I'm guessing here, but probably, never checking or servicing the transmission, towing 24,000 lb trailers w/o a cooler, etc... :rolleyes:

John DiMartino
12-18-2001, 01:44 PM
Homer,the Dodge tranny will most likely slip in lockup first,then 4th,3rd,and 2 nd in that order.This is with turned up power,if you do not raise line pressures.With a stock engine,you shouldnt have any trouble with that unit for at least 100-150K miles,so long as you service it regularly.It sounds like you think its slipping in 1st,while possible,this is highly unlikely,since 1st is the only clutch pack that doesnt need to be modified,even at 550+hp,1200 ft lbs of torque,the stock first gear is plenty,in fact the output shaft will snap long before you slip the clutches in 1st.Ig i were you,Id get it serviced,and have the shop turn up the line pressure 2 full turns,theis will give you 6psi more pressure,not enough to set a check engine light,but it helps hold the power,since your towing a big sail(enclosed) trailer,and helps if you go with an small power upgrade,and firms up the shifts a little.Remember ,to use neatral while idling,not park,especailly after a hard pull,this helps a lot with trans life.

John DiMartino
12-18-2001, 01:48 PM
Homer,here is the link to the pressure adjustments, http://www.dieseltrans.com/DTTech/valvebodys.html#pressure%20adjustments. DTT is one of the best palces to get Dodge trans work done,they have trucks with 600+hp,running their setup that are holding up to the power,even under abuse,and dragracing/sled pulling.click on the bottom link for pressure adjustments,to see where and how to adjust pressure.

ScottH
12-19-2001, 08:38 AM
We just got a 2002 dodge, 1ton, dually, 6spd HO diesel. only two trips with trailer

Our trailer is a very heavy 39' gooseneck

1st trip was 600mile primarily PA turnpike, only 1600 lbs load. 12.2 mpg

2nd trip, 200 mile primarily 2 lane with lots of big hills. as far as load, i'd be lucky if i was under our legal weight 9mpg