PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Great Dane Mower???

greeninga
03-29-2008, 01:50 PM
I normally use Exmark and Hustler. I paid $12,400 plus tax for an Exmark back

in August. I saw these mowers advertised for $5,895, a Great Dane Chariot, I

was told they out of business and you can not get parts. But the other day I

saw a great dane dealer, and he said this was not ture, he could sell me one

and get the parts. Have any of you guys had any experience with them,

yeah I know you might say you get what you pay for, but comparing the

cost. I could get two of them for what I paid for the exmark. I figure I could

almost pay cash for the machine and kill alot of the intrest at that price. Are

they any good the great dane mowers???

What do you guys have to say???

Thanks

tallimeca
03-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Was picked up by Ariens/Gravely. There is some inventory out there at great prices as the restructuring goes on, which includes appointing new distributors. The old distributors are moving out the inventory at crazy prices.

Just be carefull because the warranty situation hasn't been finalized as far as i know, but the prices are so cheap, it's worth the risk.

mowerbrad
03-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I knew the Great Dane distributer in my area and he said that they are a very good mower. He could have been just saying that since he wants to sell them. But Great Dane was owned by John Deere a while back and then was bought by Ariens. So they have a good company manufacturing them. I don't see any people in my area with Great Dane's and many dealers have stopped carrying them. As for how they perform in the field I would not know.

shovelracer
03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
The only time I drove one was about 10 years ago. It was awkward at first, but cut OK. It was horrible on hills. But my opinion may be bias cause I dropped one off a 6 foot cliff and bent the frame.

lawnprosteveo
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I have an old Deere Quik Trak that is basically the Great Dane Super Surfer painted green. I love stander type mowers. IMO, they are the best on small to med. residentials. But, I would NOT buy a mower that may be going out of biz. Take a look at the Wright Standers, they are well made. Maybe the Deere Quik Traks. I personally would not consider a Great Dane.

kjslawn
03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Walk behinds are great best stipping mower with no kit. Surfer is great also. I heard the ZTR grass clogs deck? Good on hills though

jaybird24
03-29-2008, 10:41 PM
We bought some when they first came out and they were decent mowers, some breakdowns but worth the money, by 2002 quality control and engineering apparently decided to just get drunk on the job or something because we had 4 of them and we could not keep them running, mostly electrical and frame cracks, but multiple small things, profit went from 18% to 5% in one year, the only thing that changed was the mowers, so I would say avoid them like the plague. This was 2 chariots and 2 super surfers.

SoloSulkySurfer
03-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I would go for it. I see quite a few surfers/super surfers in this area.

retrodog
03-30-2008, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't, I see to many around here broke down. The dealer here won't even sell the parts anymore, we have been helping the ones that are stuck with them get after market stuff and doing the repairs, cause yep you guessed it the dealer doesn't even repair them anymore. There are waaaaay better options in the $6000 price range with warranties and better built machines. I was offered buy a lawn company here, and the downfall was that I had to take 3 of his Great Danes with it.....after looking at them, and mowing on them, I couldn't even consider trying to sell them.

greeninga
03-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Yeah I think it may be in my best intrest not to buy that mower, but the cost is what is so attractive. Thanks

retrodog
03-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah I think it may be in my best intrest not to buy that mower, but the cost is what is so attractive. Thanks

I know people are prolly getting tired of hearing Bad Boy's price points, but you can get a brand new Bad Boy Pup 10cc pumps, 10mph, 1/4 in" toughest deck and frame in the industry with the 23hp Vanguard for $5999. The 30hp Kohler Command for $6395, and the 31hp Kawasaki 60" for $7295. Its really worth looking at, and will have awesome factory backing and warranties. You can even call the factory direct and order parts overnighted to your house! www.badboymowers.com

greeninga
03-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Well I do not know where a dealer is my area, what did you pay for the diesel? Does badboy have deck lifts by foot or electric?? Don't get me wrong I have two great choices with exmark and hustler, where I'm now.

Lawnut101
03-30-2008, 02:58 AM
Check out Bobcat. I'm going to be buying one on Friday.

lawnman_scott
03-30-2008, 03:50 AM
The company has been bought and sold about 4 times, the dealers around here seem to keep the brand for about 6 months. I had one long ago, parts are unavailable, service is non-existant. I wouldnever recomend them to anyone.

kjslawn
03-30-2008, 09:56 AM
The walkbehind is a great mower I have one my brother has one never had any problems.

sicnj
03-30-2008, 10:58 AM
everybody uses them around here. I don't have one I bought wrights , but the local Dane dealer is good, and i c new ones and old ones alll day long.

GravelyNut
03-30-2008, 11:10 AM
The company has been bought and sold about 4 times, the dealers around here seem to keep the brand for about 6 months. I had one long ago, parts are unavailable, service is non-existant. I wouldnever recomend them to anyone.

Funny, local dealer here has no problem getting parts for them. It might help that he is a Gravely/Ariens dealer too. If the unit is pre-buyout, then they currently have no warranty. Post-buyout units do have one. Difference will show up in the price. Local dealer sold 2 pre units last week. Still has one last one in stock.

lawnman_scott
03-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Funny, local dealer here has no problem getting parts for them. It might help that he is a Gravely/Ariens dealer too. If the unit is pre-buyout, then they currently have no warranty. Post-buyout units do have one. Difference will show up in the price. Local dealer sold 2 pre units last week. Still has one last one in stock.Maybe gravely finally solved all the problems them. I doubt it, deere was supposed to also about 5 years ago.

retrodog
03-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Well I do not know where a dealer is my area, what did you pay for the diesel? Does badboy have deck lifts by foot or electric?? Don't get me wrong I have two great choices with exmark and hustler, where I'm now.

hey, they are electric accuaters rated at 3000lbs, and they have the foot assist as an option (which I love). The 28hp 3cylinder Cat Diesel is $11295, and the 35hp 4 cylinder Cat is $12195. The foot assist option is $179. There is one in Camilla, Unadilla, Claxton, Hinesville, and Flintstone. If you don't have a dealer close still, pm me and I will make sure you get a demo brought to you. www.badboymowers.com

lawnprosteveo
03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I know people are prolly getting tired of hearing Bad Boy's price points, but you can get a brand new Bad Boy Pup 10cc pumps, 10mph, 1/4 in" toughest deck and frame in the industry with the 23hp Vanguard for $5999. The 30hp Kohler Command for $6395, and the 31hp Kawasaki 60" for $7295. Its really worth looking at, and will have awesome factory backing and warranties. You can even call the factory direct and order parts overnighted to your house! www.badboymowers.comRetro...Ive been seeing the Bad Boy Mower commercials on TV alot...The more I see those things the more I like 'em....Looks like a nice mower!

hayhole
04-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I've have two GD walkbehinds and have been very satisfied. I have never had any problems getting parts or getting them fixed by the dealer. They are starting to get pretty old so I seem to be needing parts a lot lately. I just purchased a super surfer probably from the same place you saw the chariot on ebay. Here's to crossing my fingers and hoping I have as much success with this mower.