PDA

View Full Version : roadside signs

stevenf
03-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Where do you guys think is the best place for these? I put a few up last year at neighborhood entrances and they got taken down.

kjslawn
03-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Take a step ladder get them in the air it will stay for a while longer

willjones4
03-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Where in Louisiana are you? Here in Shreveport it is illegal to put up signs-anywhere except private property (with the owner's permission). The city collects all others and cites people using the info on the sign. Then they mail you a citation. Check your local law/ordinance.

bishoplandscape
03-29-2008, 03:35 PM
In your customers yard!

stevenf
03-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I am in Baton Rouge.
Do you offer a discount for your customers putting it in there yard? I dont think people around here would like that to much.

willjones4
03-30-2008, 01:02 AM
make them small-like no larger than 8.5x11 and just put your name, logo (use color) and phone number. Plant it close to the ground (short stick) and close to the curb. Dont offer discount for it unless asked. Just politely ask, "do you mind if I put this little sign(have one in your hand) out front?" If they balk, say "in exchange for 10% off?" Remember to smile! LOL

KrayzKajun
03-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Its against the law down here, Jefferson Parish to put them on Parish property!!

PCSLAWN
03-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Just my thoughts but if I were you i would only put your signs on your lowest bid customer or someone you know very well because were I am from it just tells others to come bid against you or that that house or biz pays for service and others will try to take it from you we have bid wars all the time in my town that we have been taking the signs off our trucks to its dog eat dog here..... My truck sign has not got me one job so I can't see how a yard sign will. say low key the 2nd biggest guy in our town has no yellow page ad no yard signs and he is at 300k a yea our top guy is a all black owned well repected Co. he has 16 2 man crews does 800k a yr ohh and no yard signs i hope this helps
P.s. my signs are still at sign shop I never picked them up after i got schooled by the big dogs in my town:usflag:

Hummer
03-31-2008, 02:36 AM
Just my thoughts but if I were you i would only put your signs on your lowest bid customer or someone you know very well because were I am from it just tells others to come bid against you or that that house or biz pays for service and others will try to take it from you we have bid wars all the time in my town that we have been taking the signs off our trucks to its dog eat dog here..... My truck sign has not got me one job so I can't see how a yard sign will. say low key the 2nd biggest guy in our town has no yellow page ad no yard signs and he is at 300k a yea our top guy is a all black owned well repected Co. he has 16 2 man crews does 800k a yr ohh and no yard signs i hope this helps
P.s. my signs are still at sign shop I never picked them up after i got schooled by the big dogs in my town:usflag:

This is the first time I've ever heard anything like this. I can picture what you're saying happening, but is it true everywhere in the country?

Does anyone else agree?

SamTheLawnMan
03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
This will be the first year ever for me to use some yard signs.
I moved to a new area in November and I gave all my accounts to a good friend. I figure I can target all the people that live in my area with them.
And all the people that drive by my house every day. I have several small neighborhoods in my area and want those people to be the first to see me advertize.
HOPE it works.

ffemt1271
03-31-2008, 12:09 PM
here's mine, i place them in my customers yard out by the road, just remember that in La. they have to be 15 feet from the centerline of the road to be out of the "neutral zone"

stevenf
03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks a ton! Would you recommend putting a simple sign like that on a trailer or would you make it more detailed and professional?

ffemt1271
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
the lawn signs are 18" x 24", the ones on my trailer are the same sign but are 40" x 40".

Paulup
04-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Its also true in Saint Tammany Parish, and I think it goes for the whole state, public property is a no go for any sort of sign without parish approval. Hell, they have a crew that runs around during campaigns and spray paints "ILLEGAL" on signs put in the neutral ground/median so that everyone that sees it knows that person is breaking the law.

Your best bet, if you are trying to get attention, is to go to neighborhood pools/rec centers and place them on their bulletin boards. Do it at gyms as well, just ask management if it will be ok. Baton Rouge is busy as hell, people won't see signs on the roadside unless they are at a stop light and even then they are more concerned with getting run over. Go to local businesses(like the AMEX building) and get the manager/GM's email address and offer the entire place a 10% discount on lawn service for (insert BS reason here) and just adjust your prices accordingly. He'll shoot out an email to his entire building letting them know that he's hooked them all up with a great lawn care deal, whether it is truly a deal or not. Someone did that when i worked at Parish National Bank and it got quite a few people signed up. Good luck.

Paulup
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
And dang you samthelawnman, what part of covington are you working? You work for FD12?