PDA

View Full Version : Great Dane super surfer mower

Dominicano
03-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Does any one know anything about the Great Dane lawn mower brand??
Specifically a 36" Great Dane Super surfer mower (stand on mower)? Any input will be greatly appreciate it!

hackitdown
03-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Does any one know anything about the Great Dane lawn mower brand??
Specifically a 36" Great Dane Super surfer mower (stand on mower)? Any input will be greatly appreciate it!

I have a 48" super surfer. Great Dane is now part of Ariens, and the same mower is sold as a red Gravely (an Ariens brand). John Deere has or had a green machine made by the same factory, using a JD deck. There are a couple of machine by other brands also. So ask your dealer about parts and warranty.

I like my machine, but it doesn't do too well in tight turns. Other than that, it is fast and productive.

corey4671
03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is a 34" unit. I know it is a fixed deck and I believe comes with a 17hp Kawasaki. I priced the Everride version of this mower last summer at around 4995 I think but that was before the BK and Ariens Acquistion.

mowerbrad
03-29-2008, 08:15 PM
I got a price for the 34" Great Dane a couple of weeks back and I was given the price of $5499. It seems to be a little more expensive than others. I think that many years ago Great Dane offered a Super Surfer 36" but that had to be over 5 years ago.

Lawn Enforcer
03-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I priced a Everride Scorpion FX 34", $4,650

DCE
03-29-2008, 10:18 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is a 34" unit.

Great Dane did have a 36" Super Surfer at one point in time but it has since been discontinued.

Dominicano
03-30-2008, 09:55 AM
I got a price for the 34" Great Dane a couple of weeks back and I was given the price of $5499. It seems to be a little more expensive than others. I think that many years ago Great Dane offered a Super Surfer 36" but that had to be over 5 years ago.

You're right. This is an older model being sold by private owner. It has about 160+ hours and has an oil leak. He said he took it to get it serviced last season and that's when it developed the oil leak. He asking $2000 for it (which I would never pay that amount for it) but he said he is conscience that it needs some work done to it so he is willing to negotiate. He estimated $500 worth of repairs. I'm on a budget and in need of a small machine like this one. What do you all think? Should I be looking into something else for the price I mentioned?

Bunton Guy
03-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Great dane surfers is mainly all we run on residentials right now. I do like the wright stander a bit better (the older models) but the danes are more affordable to keep running than our wright standers. IMO you can't beat a surfer on a residential yard.

freshprince94
03-30-2008, 11:10 AM
I would go with a Wright Stander over a Super Surfer. If you really wanted to save money, why not get a 36 walk behind with a Velke?

BTW, Gravely's Stand-On, the Super Surfer, and Everride's Scorpion are all the same machine. The co. that produced these used to make John Deere's Quik Trak but I am not sure if this is the case now.

SoloSulkySurfer
03-30-2008, 11:17 AM
I would go with a Wright Stander over a Super Surfer. If you really wanted to save money, why not get a 36 walk behind with a Velke?

Wouldnt a hydro WB with a sulky be just the same and alot cheaper?

mowerbrad
03-30-2008, 11:20 AM
If you are really set on this mower then I would offer $1500 for it. That way you will have save $500 to put towards the repairs.

Dominicano
03-30-2008, 12:50 PM

BTW, Gravely's Stand-On, the Super Surfer, and Everride's Scorpion are all the same machine. The co. that produced these used to make John Deere's Quik Trak but I am not sure if this is the case now.

What do you suggest on a walk-behind for the price range I mentioned? I'm not opposed to that, just want to make sure I get something reliable. I can definitely do with a walk-behind??

Dominicano
03-30-2008, 12:52 PM
If you are really set on this mower then I would offer $1500 for it. That way you will have save $500 to put towards the repairs.
Mowerbrad - If I was to get it for $1200 or $1300 do you think is a good buy for the machine?? Even with the problems I mentioned?