PDA

View Full Version : Mantis or BlueBird for de-thatching my own lawn?

yungman
03-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I just order a Mantis Honda with de-thatch and aerator tines. I still have not recieved yet. I was looking at the BlueBird de-thatcher and they have the smallest one for $889 free shipping in Alamia. I spent $620 total on the Mantis. Am I doing the right thing.

My main thing is to de-thatch and aerate my own lawn only. The advantage of Mantis is I can do both and I can use it to get rid of the weeds along the scrubs. BlueBird is a single purpose only which I am going to use ones or twice a year and it is very big. The price is 30% more but I would imagine the BlueBird can do a much better job in de-thatching alone.

Do you think I made the right decision going with the Mantis?

Thanks

cgaengineer
03-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Well you shouldnt have to dethatch every year so the mantis would probably work better for you, but the Bluebird is a dedicated power rake and excells in the raking department I am sure. I own a Bluebird PR22 and it works well, but I also own a Kombi Stihl with a tiller head which is similar to what the mantis is and it works great, but its not a dethatcher and it cannot be used for seeding either.

My concern would be the light weight of the Mantis for dethatching...and as I just looked at the mantis on the website it is using spring tines for raking...hardly what I would consider a dethatching machine.

yungman
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Well you shouldnt have to dethatch every year so the mantis would probably work better for you, but the Bluebird is a dedicated power rake and excells in the raking department I am sure. I own a Bluebird PR22 and it works well, but I also own a Kombi Stihl with a tiller head which is similar to what the mantis is and it works great, but its not a dethatcher and it cannot be used for seeding either.

My concern would be the light weight of the Mantis for dethatching...and as I just looked at the mantis on the website it is using spring tines for raking...hardly what I would consider a dethatching machine.

Thanks for your input. This is for my own lawn only, that is the reason I am reluctant to consider a big single purpose Bluebird. I don't even have that much room to store stuff.

I was looking at the Bluebird site, I thought they are using spring tines also. Well as long as the Mantis can do the job and it will last for few seasons, then I guess it is acceptable. I want the aerate part also.

cgaengineer
03-30-2008, 01:37 AM
I will tell you that aerator will not work...at all. It may work in sand, but then sand doesn't need to be aerated. I dont even know why they called that thing and aerator...it looked like a tiller to me.

My Bluebird uses flails...its a double axle spool with 2 sets of flail blades. Bluebird does have a spring tine reel but the tines break from what I hear.

yungman
03-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Anyone else?..Please. I'll be recieving the Mantis in a day or two. I am getting a little cold feet!!!!:cry:

cgaengineer
03-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Well you already ordered it!! You should have asked before you ordered!! It will be fine, you will enjoy it.

Runner
03-30-2008, 03:04 PM
How big is your yard (lawn)? the Mantis will be a good mini tiller, anyway. Nothing you're going to till up a large garden with or anything, but it hs it's purposes. Aerator?...no.

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Bluebird is a good machine but the flail blade will tear your yard to pieces. I would instead get the Bluebird with spring tines, it does a good job and won't do as much damage.

yungman
03-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Well you already ordered it!! You should have asked before you ordered!! It will be fine, you will enjoy it.

Reason I ask is because I always thought power rake cost thousands, just found out the cheapest Bluebird is only $900. I am paying $620 for the Mantis set.

I bought directly from Mantis which have one year try out policy. But I am not going be that bad to run it then attempt to return, that is the reason I am asking now so if it come down to returning it, it will be new so they don't loose out.

But I really like the Mantis. The Bluebird is so boring!!! What are you going to do with it after dethatching? Taking it out for a spin in a nice sunny day!!!:laugh: I am not going to do any dethatching in the rentals. Only have weeds in those lawns.....Dewthatching the weeds so they grow better!!!!. That is the reason this piece is going to be for my own house. That is the reason why I am looking at a half toy rather than the commercial units. Besides I am going to landscape my own back yard soon, it has nothing in it other than bare dirt. I am sure I will have use for the Mantis to dig holes for planting.

cgaengineer
03-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Just so you know...I got a nearly new Bluebird PR22 for $350.

yungman
03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Just so you know...I got a nearly new Bluebird PR22 for $350.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

cgaengineer
03-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Search in the pictures forum and you will even see a picture of it!!!

yungman
03-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Search in the pictures forum and you will even see a picture of it!!!

I don't want to see it!!!!

I know the Mantis is tough enough to last a long time. You think the spring tine will hold up for years to come?

yungman
03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Any other comments?

brucec32
04-01-2008, 01:13 AM
consider a used power rake. This is an item a lot of people buy and don't use much. I had one I got 15 years back, may have used it 6 times. Sold it a few years back for less than half what I paid for it.

I just bought a new power rake/seeder at Alamia because my own lawn was a basket case after droughts and I had to make sure it germinated 100% on a large area converted to lawn and I despise dealing with rentals. It worked great. I probably won't use the machine much again but will keep it around if I have to redo the rest of the lawn. Besides, selling so soon I'd lose a ton. Which is why used ones are such a bargain. I wish I'd found one when I needed it.

cgaengineer
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
consider a used power rake. This is an item a lot of people buy and don't use much. I had one I got 15 years back, may have used it 6 times. Sold it a few years back for less than half what I paid for it.

I just bought a new power rake/seeder at Alamia because my own lawn was a basket case after droughts and I had to make sure it germinated 100% on a large area converted to lawn and I despise dealing with rentals. It worked great. I probably won't use the machine much again but will keep it around if I have to redo the rest of the lawn. Besides, selling so soon I'd lose a ton. Which is why used ones are such a bargain. I wish I'd found one when I needed it.

Ever hear of Powertrade in Suwannee Bruce? I got a very nice used rake from them a month or so ago.

Shuter
04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I have used the JRCO rake attachment for years. It was a great investment.

brucec32
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Ever hear of Powertrade in Suwannee Bruce? I got a very nice used rake from them a month or so ago.

Yep! I got a nearly new condition Bluebird 530A? aerator there this winter for about $700. Unfortunately I found out about them only after I'd bought the new power seeder. If I could find a similar deal on a topdresser I'd buy one from them just to fix my own lawn. But those things are pricey and I'm too tired and lazy to do it manually. Actually I'm probably too lazy to even shovel the dirt in the thing. The areas I slit-seeded look good now (after almost failing to germinate after the usual aeration/seeding the previous year) but I bet they wilt in the summer due to the terrible clay soil on my lot.

yungman
04-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I just recieved the Mantis today. The dethatch tines looks pretty sturdy, looks pretty good.

Only one thing that bugs me is I see what looks like crack lines on the oil circulator portion of the Honda engine, the upper half that is together with the cylinder. I don't think it is the structure part of the engine, but it does not make me feel good. I don't think it is a real crack, it was just a slight defect in the casting that it does not look even. Don't know what I should do. I really want to get start on dethatching!!!