PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Stuff ???

lawnpro2210
03-29-2008, 07:50 PM
I have been mowing for about three years and was just wondering how many people get there stuff stolen?and what stuff those ******* ******* go for. Now that im starting to gather more and more equipment im noticing the value of all my stuff.I live in the country and in a nice neighbor hood.I was planning on renting a back half of a church out to put my equipment in.I can see the church from my house through a row of pine trees. I mean who ever steeles from a church should just plane out go to HE!!. and was just wondering how many of you get stuff stolen and what you all do to keep it protected. tell your story if its happend to you. thanks mike

KrayzKajun
03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
ive had trimmers, blowers, easy stuff to carry stolen. thts why i have an enclosed trailer now!!!!

mowerbrad
03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
I have not had anything stolen from me yet but there has been several break-ins in my neighborhood in the past year. I too live in a nice neighborhood and area that you wouldn't think would have much crime but it happens and the sheriff's dept. is only 2min away from my house. I keep all my stuff locked in my garage or in my shed when it is not in use. But don't count on your equipment being safe just because it is on a church property.

jpp
03-29-2008, 08:21 PM
I mean who ever steeles from a church should just plane out go to HE!!.

Well, then some people will be going there that is for sure. they are stealingt he copper right out of the a/c units down here in Columbus.

JP

bblawncare
03-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I was robbed twice in 2006. I had an enclosed trailer that I was not allowed to keep at my house (city ordinance) so I paid to park it at a storage facility in an outside parking space. I showed up one morning in July 06 and my back ramp was down and every rack was empty-my heart fell to my feet. I just sat on the ramp and cried. I was just stunned-EVERYTHING was gone except my 2 mowers. I had a brand new 2000 watt generator, 2 edgers, 3 or 4 chainsaws (from the hurricanes in 04/05) 3 weedeaters, 2 backpack blowers, handheld blower, 2 40" hedge trimmers, 2 30" hedge trimmers, 1 extended length hedgetrimmer and some other smaller things. In all, it was close to $7500 I lost. When I went to call in to the insurance company they had no record of me asking for the $5000 blanket coverage policy I had requested in March (policy renewed in April and it never got put on there). :cry:

I gradually recovered and by November, I had replaced just about everything that was stolen. Then on Christmas Eve my storage place called me and said my trailer had been damaged and I had better get up there. The damn thieves had cut my side door all up and took all my stuff AGAIN!! I was just beside myself-I pulled my trailer out of there that morning and never went back. I sold the enclosed trailer, bought a 6 x 12 double axle open trailer and keep that locked in my garage at nite. I traded my truck for a cargo van and that has helped me not miss the enclosed trailer so much. My hedge trimmers and chain saws are locked to the racks inside the van, as are my weedeater, edger, and blower on the trailer. I lost A LOT of money in 06 and that has made it very difficult for me since, but I am happy to say that I am still working and making those house payments. :clapping:

Tharrell
03-29-2008, 08:59 PM
I've had a major theft and never got anything back. I now utilize a fence system I bought at tractor supply, 2 dogs inside the fence and everything cabled together. I have a surprize too but, can't talk about it. 5th and all, wouldn't want to incriminate myself.
I thought about training the dogs to eat gonads but, I have to go in there too! Tony

mowing grass 1111
03-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I've had a major theft and never got anything back. I now utilize a fence system I bought at tractor supply, 2 dogs inside the fence and everything cabled together. I have a surprize too but, can't talk about it. 5th and all, wouldn't want to incriminate myself.
I thought about training the dogs to eat gonads but, I have to go in there too! Tony

x 2 on the fenced in yard and dog .. i have a 115 lb Rott i would like to see someone try and get to my stuff:).. lol when i had my sidewalk poured she (rott) chased the concrete man on to my porch, he jumped on the deck railing and climb on the roof:laugh::laugh:. .. all she wanted to do was play:laugh:

lawnpro2210
03-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Thinking of playing it safe and gouing with a enclosed trailer and just parking it in my drive but from bblawncare that doesnt even sound safe sometimes.tharrell i have a suprize to but mine shoots high powered paint very fast :realmad:-:gunsfirin:-help:=:clapping:

kubotab7200
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
a friend of mine had a brand new stihl weedeater stolen last year. he gave almost 400 bucks for it 2 days after he got it some son of a ***** stole it ,a five gallon can of gas and tried to drain gas out of his mowers by popin off the gas line to the carb. he told me about all this almost in tears he was so pissed. i started parking my truck and trailer where i can see it at all times and i have an 1.5 inch piece of pipe about 3 feet long within reech incase someone tries to steal my stuff, if they want to steal from me they gotta fight for it. ive never been ripped off but i feel sorry for the ones that have, it takes time and money to aquire equiptment and one sorry basturdd to carry it all off. no body deserves that.

CALandscapes
03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I try to store as much equipment inside of my storage building as possible, as well as having locks on EVERYTHING.

About 3 weeks ago some a**hole stole three wheels and tires off of my Bobcat trailer; upon replacing them I also installed lock nuts and a cable lock on the spare.

Also, I have contractor's insurance on EVERYTHING.

bladecutter582
03-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I wish everyone who participates on this site would see this. I just retired form thirty years of LE. All I can say is that if you have anything worth a dime, then some crack head will do anything to seal it. Drugs do make people crazy. So the bottom line is this " A CHAIN IS AS STRONG AS IT'S WEAKEST LINK" Look for the obvious when storing your equipment and park it as close to you as possible at night. Thieves hate light. Spend extra to cable or chain something up and do everything to have your trailer close to you as you work. :weightlifter:

lawnpro2210
03-29-2008, 11:44 PM
what would be neat to make is mount one of those nature cameras that hunters usally use that take a picture every time it catches something moveing.well mount one to the top of your enclosed trailer on the celling pointing in the direction of each door so that if some one did brake into your trailer you would have a pic to give to the police and catch that BASTURD.

lzrj
03-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Amen BLADECUTTER582. I would never park it alone on a church lot because it WILL get stolen at some point no matter how much protection you put on the trailer. Theives dont go to church nor do they care your trailer is parked at church. Never keep the trailer hooked up to your truck because then your truck and trailer will both be gone at some point. Safest way is to keep your trailer secured in a fenced area in your yard close to windows or park it in your drive by the garage and face the front of your truck towards the trailer to block it. Always have a lot of light and keep it as close to you as possible.

Reassurance Property
03-30-2008, 08:39 AM
a buddy of mine had 2 10HP little Wonders stolen off of his trailer while he was eating lunch.:cry:

***CLC***
03-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I don’t know what the rest of you think about it, but I always over insure my equipment. If a new mower cost 10K I have my mower insured for 15K. Yes it does cost a bit more, but the security of knowing it won’t jeopardize by business if it’s stolen is worth the extra couple of dollars a month. If you have the insurance and the equipment is over insured…no need to worry! It doesn’t matter how well you try to protect your investment, if a thief wants what you have they will get it, it’s just a matter of time. I also have my equipment protected with 2 state of the art gnawers (I've attached a pic) I know if someone takes any of my equipment I will be pissed off, but I will feel a whole lot better when I get it replaced with a new piece. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tharrell
03-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Security is like winter clothing, it works best in layers. Sure, someone can cut a lock etc...
But, they will have to cut MULTIPLE LOCKS AND CABLES plus get by the dogs to get my stuff. I try to make it not worth their while.
Besides, GOD help them if I ever catch them, I have a brand new blade on my circular saw and I'll take their fingers off a quarter of an inch at a time, up to the elbow. Then, a nice homemade tat on their forehead letting everyone know this person is a thief. Tony
I'm not squeemish about other peoples blood.

mowing grass 1111
03-30-2008, 11:18 AM
I don’t know what the rest of you think about it, but I always over insure my equipment. If a new mower cost 10K I have my mower insured for 15K. Yes it does cost a bit more, but the security of knowing it won’t jeopardize by business if it’s stolen is worth the extra couple of dollars a month. If you have the insurance and the equipment is over insured…no need to worry! It doesn’t matter how well you try to protect your investment, if a thief wants what you have they will get it, it’s just a matter of time. I also have my equipment protected with 2 state of the art gnawers (I've attached a pic) I know if someone takes any of my equipment I will be pissed off, but I will feel a whole lot better when I get it replaced with a new piece. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thats just throwing money . the insurnace company is only going pay for the replacment value of the equipment

Oregon
03-30-2008, 11:52 AM
nice looking akitas:)

KGR landscapeing
03-30-2008, 12:15 PM
guys make sure you lock your stuff up at lunch or better yet leave a guy out there. because stuff walks away even in the day light. the **** just grows legs we came out one day to have the trimmer rack just snapped off the open trailer. 2 stihl 4 mix trimmers and a stick edger all gone say about a grand gone. enclosed is the way to go but u even have to have locks inside. its nuts

***CLC***
03-30-2008, 02:37 PM
nice looking akitas:)

Thanks...most people need to ask what they are...you must be an Akita fan like us....sweet dogs!!!

thats just throwing money . the insurnace company is only going pay for the replacment value of the equipment

and mowing grass 1111, that is not so...when you do your insurance policy like I've done, you list the equipment and the value of it. If you list the value of it at 12K you'll get 12K minus your deduction...if it's insured for 5K you pay less each month, but when something happens your only going to get 5K minus the deduction. Again I don't know your policy, but I do know my own and that’s how it is. Same as homeowners insurance, you have to place a value on the contents of the home...and the home is appraised for its value. If your house burns down you'll get that value....this is very basic stuff…remember this is not auto insurance where they try and give you blue book value and under cut the hell out of you.

LawnMastersTx
03-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I got lucky. I was mowing a commerical site and did not lock up the storage place where my small equipment is stored. While walking back to my truck, I see this guy just going through my stuff. Now this is a busy time of day and there are people all around, but this guy didnt care, he was just going through everything. He already had my backpack blower and edger in his SUV. I run up on him and surpise him, he jumped into his SUV and took off, lucky for me he didnt shut is trunk. As he was pulling away i got a hold of my equipment and pulled it out. Called the cops but he was never found.

Next time this happens, sad to have to say next time it happens, I am going to sneak up on the guy and show him why you dont steal. For about $200 you can get your consealed handgun's license in Texas. Dont plan on shooting him, just make sure hes there when the cops show up.

lzrj
03-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Missouri passed a law last year that gives law abiding people more legal rights to protect property from criminals. It's called the 'castle doctrine'. It's almost scary because it takes us back about 100 years. We now have the right to shot anyone to protect our home or vehicle. So if someone is tampering (breaking into or stealing) my vehicle, then this law gives me the right to shot them dead with it being justified. My life dosent need to be in danger for self defense like it did in the past. That will teach scumbags to steal. I dont know if I would feel right killing someone over a $50 stereo they are trying to steal from my car, but I could if I wanted.

dave k
03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't think thieves would be religious know what I mean, just like locks are meant to keep honest people honest!

PerfectEarth
03-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Talk about frustration- I left my garage open one night RIGHT AFTER I took my BR600 and two day old Stihl HS81T trimmers out of my pickup and into the garage! Walked in the front door of the house and left the garage open all night. Needless to say, by 6 a.m. they were gone, along with a large tool box and DeWalt tools.

It's such a hassle. I re-bought the stuff that day with insurance money but it still affects accounting sheets, depreciation stuff, tax stuff.... it's a royal pain aside from having the actual items stolen. Jerkoff theives. I just want to scream thinking about all these stories.

KGR landscapeing
03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Missouri passed a law last year that gives law abiding people more legal rights to protect property from criminals. It's called the 'castle doctrine'. It's almost scary because it takes us back about 100 years. We now have the right to shot anyone to protect our home or vehicle. So if someone is tampering (breaking into or stealing) my vehicle, then this law gives me the right to shot them dead with it being justified. My life dosent need to be in danger for self defense like it did in the past. That will teach scumbags to steal. I dont know if I would feel right killing someone over a $50 stereo they are trying to steal from my car, but I could if I wanted.

you can take my money you can take my TV radio computer i dont care. but when you affect my lively hood my truck my trailer my equipment i will shoot you dead with out any feeling.

J&J Customs
03-30-2008, 06:38 PM
ive had a blower almost stolen but i ran the s.o.b. off with a trimmer i usually lock everything together now if im away from my trailer

tilawn
03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
German Shepards is the answer. make excellent pets and guard dogs and better yet they are a write off for security

danielslawncare
03-30-2008, 07:53 PM
i was at an apartment complex last year mowing. i always lock my truck up(my dad always preached to me about it so i do it every time). but this time i happened not to. i get done mowing and i go down the road and realize i dont have my cell phone. i get out to look for it and then i realize my mowing records book was gone as well! ALL of my contacts, checks, etc were gone. it hurt me bad. took me most all season to get all of my contacts back. it was a real pain in the a$$. i always lock my truck.

grassmasters lawn care
03-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I have had trimmers & blowers stolen but the worst was when I got to the shop early morning about a year ago. I finished sharpening blades,and went around back to unlock the 8 foot tall gates to my fenced in outside storage area and someone had taken the chainlink fence apart and drove a truck and trailor out the back. Luckily the cops recovered the trailor about 3 blocks away and about 3 weeks after that they called and had recovered my truck illegally parked. I feel really lucky because there was very minimal damage to the truck and we still use it today.

kleankutslawn
03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
my first year i had to learn the hard way.

alesia
03-31-2008, 09:45 AM
I have been mowing for about three years and was just wondering how many people get there stuff stolen?and what stuff those ******* ******* go for. Now that im starting to gather more and more equipment im noticing the value of all my stuff.I live in the country and in a nice neighbor hood.I was planning on renting a back half of a church out to put my equipment in.I can see the church from my house through a row of pine trees. I mean who ever steeles from a church should just plane out go to HE!!. and was just wondering how many of you get stuff stolen and what you all do to keep it protected. tell your story if its happend to you. thanks mike

Snow plow pumps are huge in my area. I have two stolen from me, and one blower!

mowisme
03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
They are even stealing catyletic converters off vehicles!..heard a few got hit in my area while back. in-out in minutes and it's gone! I,ve been lucky so far- only lost 5 gal can with gas. my stuff in sheds. Gene

jcthorne
03-31-2008, 10:06 AM
I've had a 2003 Isuzu NPR stolen out of my shop. It had 2 mowers, 3 weedeaters, an edger, 2 backpack blowers, 2 hedge trimmers, backpack sprayers, chemicals, a chainsaw, and other hand tools on it. Needless to say, I got nothing back, but the truck was recovered a week later.

The whole ordeal was a nightmare but my insurance came through and I received replacement cost on all of the equipment that was stolen. I'm very thankful the thieves only got one crews worth of equipment and didn't wipe out my entire shop while they were there. Although they put me one crew down for a week, we were in a drought so I got through it and I learned a lot from the experience.

JLAWNCARE
03-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I had my wheel barrels locked up to a tree they stole all the tires

YoungGun
03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
5 days ago some $hit heads broke into my truck stole

Sirius Satilight Radio (with a lifetime subscription) 500.00
tomtom GPS 300.00
Cd Player 60.00
Ipod 200.00

foot prints went into my garage where all my mowers and gear is
Nothing taken thank GOD
footprints went around back to mybasement door where i sleep .. Door was locked!

ATL Lawn
04-05-2008, 06:19 AM
ive had a few items stolen before...

and ive had crackheads try to sell my stolenstuff... they normaly sell at 10% value, but i dont buy that crap....

Charles
04-05-2008, 07:01 AM
They are even stealing catyletic converters off vehicles!..heard a few got hit in my area while back. in-out in minutes and it's gone! I,ve been lucky so far- only lost 5 gal can with gas. my stuff in sheds. Gene

Ya that is crazy and is going on everywhere with those converters. A Church is the worst place to store anything because they know its empty most of the time. Thieves are hitting those air conditioners for copper like was said and anything else.
I had a good hedge trimmer stolen by an employee a long time ago. I keep my stuff in my garage and in a SUV locked up all the time.

grasswhacker
04-05-2008, 08:30 AM

Thankfully that's all I have had stolen. It was taken while I was at church on a Wed. night 5-6 years ago. It was not locked up, so it was an open invitation.:hammerhead:

integrityman
04-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I cant speak to storing stuff at churches....attached is a link to a previous theft story....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=210723&highlight=worthless+thieves

Greenery
04-05-2008, 11:32 AM
We've had guys working in backyards and the theives just pull up and help themselves to whatever they want mostly blowers. Now everything has a cable and lock through it when not in use.

Greenery
04-05-2008, 11:34 AM
5 days ago some $hit heads broke into my truck stole

Sirius Satilight Radio (with a lifetime subscription) 500.00
tomtom GPS 300.00
Cd Player 60.00
Ipod 200.00

foot prints went into my garage where all my mowers and gear is
Nothing taken thank GOD
footprints went around back to mybasement door where i sleep .. Door was locked!

Time to arm yourself:usflag:

ken gustafson
04-05-2008, 11:51 AM
In reading the posts on this topic....I sense much knowledge. It would be very helpful for me if I could get some feedback. Please view my site and let me know what you see in weaknesses to my locks for trailer hitches.
The site.... www.trailerlocksonline.com I am trying to slow down what everyone is talking about and I have been there. I had my trailer stolen and now am trying to slow the thefts down..... Ken