PDA

View Full Version : Find Salespersons for Landscaping.

KAT_Ayanami
03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi, this is just a simple question.

I have been problems getting leads latelly and I was thinking about getting salespersons to help me increase my work.

We do stone, flagstone, patios, stone veneers veneers, retaining walls and similar jobs. But I have NO CLUE about where to get salespersons! (specially for this trade).

Also, how do they usually get paid?

Thank You!

I hope this is on the right forum...

Kat.

DuraCutter
03-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Hi, this is just a simple question.

I have been problems getting leads latelly and I was thinking about getting salespersons to help me increase my work.

We do stone, flagstone, patios, stone veneers veneers, retaining walls and similar jobs. But I have NO CLUE about where to get salespersons! (specially for this trade).

Also, how do they usually get paid?

Thank You!

I hope this is on the right forum...

Kat.

Sounds like you have a long ways to go and learn before you can hire a salesperson. First, the saleperson needs stability, something they'll sniff doesn't exist around you since you're so green on this subject. It doesn't take long for a person to size you up and know if you have any idea on what you're doing. You're probably a great business man, but having never had a sales crew, you'll need to read up about this.

Seriously, just asking the question here won't give you 1% of what you need to know.

Things like budgets, what you offer, how clear your business plan is... maybe you don't have any of these, but it's a must to have a well developed business before someone can get excited about making a living sharing that plan with you...

Hope I'm not discouraging you, but think of making your business so good you could franchise it, then think of a salesperson.

:)

KAT_Ayanami
03-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Sounds like you have a long ways to go and learn before you can hire a salesperson. First, the saleperson needs stability, something they'll sniff doesn't exist around you since you're so green on this subject. It doesn't take long for a person to size you up and know if you have any idea on what you're doing. You're probably a great business man, but having never had a sales crew, you'll need to read up about this.

Seriously, just asking the question here won't give you 1% of what you need to know.

Things like budgets, what you offer, how clear your business plan is... maybe you don't have any of these, but it's a must to have a well developed business before someone can get excited about making a living sharing that plan with you...

Hope I'm not discouraging you, but think of making your business so good you could franchise it, then think of a salesperson.

No, you are not discouraging me. I came here because, like you said, I am too green on this area to pull it off by myself.

We have been working with stone for more than 20 years, so experience, we have. The problem is that we just opened the company last year and the accounting, marketing and other areas are becoming kind of a stepped milestone for me.

As far as I know, a salesperson can have 2 companies to work for. And I think they work on commission most of them. So I don't think my company has to be as good as to be franchised to have a couple of people to help me out.

The thing is that I have NO CLUE about where to find info about this matter...

Thanks for the input though :)

DuraCutter
03-31-2008, 12:50 AM
No, you are not discouraging me. I came here because, like you said, I am too green on this area to pull it off by myself.

We have been working with stone for more than 20 years, so experience, we have. The problem is that we just opened the company last year and the accounting, marketing and other areas are becoming kind of a stepped milestone for me.

As far as I know, a salesperson can have 2 companies to work for. And I think they work on commission most of them. So I don't think my company has to be as good as to be franchised to have a couple of people to help me out.

Surprisingly, your best source may be a salesperson already working for another company. One of your suppliers may have a salesperson that would do similar tasks to what a salesperson might do for your company.

Get it directly from the "horses mouth". Ask questions and you'll probably get some good answers.

Good luck...

Team-Green L&L
03-31-2008, 01:02 AM

My advice, if you are looking for leads then you don't need a sales re. You need to increase your ad campaigns and save the payroll. A sales team should be efficient in closing and advertising is the proper medium for opening. When you try to cross paths you end up with door-to-door Kirby dealers.

I got into this industry as a seasoned sales rep and family member, but I have always sold for multiple companies and worked as an independent associate doing so. Obviously, I did not have 2 clients with similar products or services, but rather, a similar goal...leads and conversions.

Now, I am swamped with leads and am in the market for a good "closer". I don't need anything but a guy to follow up on estimates presented and close the deals from the leads generated from proper advertising and marketing campaigns.

Maybe you should rethink the path and not the destination?

Team-Green L&L
03-31-2008, 01:11 AM
CONT. FROM ABOVE...

I have always generated leads through consistent marketing and closed them with time. I think that is the best method to follow IMO. Obviously opening the deal is the time consuming part of sales because it's a 2-3% response rate industry. That means that you are wasting 97-98% of your dollars by using payroll to accomplish this. Payroll hours are expensive and should be utilized to convert your leads instead of creating them.

Think of it like this. I can print one ad in a highly distributed publication for $1000-1500 or so and have it seen by 50,000 targeted people. That seems expensive, but could you imagine the payroll hours to talk to that many people? Yes, the closing rate would increase, but not enough to compensate for the cost.

KAT_Ayanami
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
I see.

Its just that I am using Service Magic and Google to advertise my company and I am only getting small repair jobs like "fixing cracks" or "fixing mortar joints" instead of some nice patios or things like that.

I can get the jobs, I usually convert a lot of leads, but I am just not getting good leads at all.

Thanks all for the info.

Like you said, salesperson is not the best way to go.

capetan
03-31-2008, 06:13 PM
if you have spare time and your not doing jobs, just go door to door in new neighborhoods and just hand out flyers ..... i would start with that, craigslist is free, but most people on there are very cheap