PDA

View Full Version : Music while cutting

kjk05006
03-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Does anyone listen to music as they cut? I would like to but I'm afraid that I will damage my ears. I was thinking of using in ear headphone under my regular ear protection. What do you all think?

LawnTamer
03-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Nearly all the time. I use noise blocking earbuds, I think they have a NRR rating of around 25, they work wonderfully, I can listen to music without cranking the volume. I usually listen to audio-books.

Raven386
03-30-2008, 12:52 AM
I asked in the other thread, but I'll ask here too, whats the name of your company?

Ed Ryder
03-30-2008, 01:23 AM
You're very smart to be concerned about hearing loss. I think you should forget about trying to listen to music while mowing.

I used just ear muffs to protect my hearing. It wasn't enough and a loud back-up machine that I hadn't operated in a long time got my ears ringing non-stop. I was losing sleep. Day after day. Night after night. Non-stop ringing. It was making me very unhappy.

Finally I visited an ear nose and throat doctor. Ear wax was partly to blame, but more than a year after that doctor visit, my ears are still ringing, though it is nowhere near as bad.

It's called "tinnitus" and it can ruin your life.

Tinnitus is much worse than hearing loss -protect your hearing. It's the smart thing to do. I recommend using ear plugs and ear muffs. Minimize noise exposure.

jhakarter
03-30-2008, 01:28 AM
I almost always listen to music when cutting, unless its spring or fall cleanups when i keep getting on and off the machine to dump as the cord sometimes gets in the way. I usually just turn the sound to what it would be w/o the machine running and then start, sometimes hard to here the music but it gets the job done, I was however wondering how noise cancelling headphones worked. BOSE has some but there like 200 bucks. Anyone else try a different pair that work good but arent 200?
Josh

mngrassguy
03-30-2008, 01:52 AM
I can tell if my blades are dull or other problems starting by the change of pitch but I doubt I could with music on

Reassurance Property
03-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Husqvarna has some digital headphones for around $100. They work great, you don't have to have them very loud, you can still hear the equipment. and with the digital tuner you don't lose the station. I really like it because you can listen to your local stations and get your weather reports. Don't know about you guys but storms come out of nowhere here in MN.

Macdiesiel
03-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Ed Ryder I have heard of this .My ears are getting bad.I wear ear plug and muffs.My wife thinks I should start learning sign. How can I keep this from happening to me or loosing my hearing completely

delphied
03-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I used Peltors last year and they didnt protect my hearing. This year I just got Westone um1 noise blocking earphones. I plan to put muffs over these for better protection. Check out earphonesolutions.com

lostmdboy
03-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I have a pair of head phones that block out 35dbl. So I can listen to my Ipod at the same time. Just makes the work go by a little faster, and protects my hearing at the same time.

tynash
03-30-2008, 09:11 AM
one word: worktunes

Lawn-Sharks
03-30-2008, 09:15 AM
WorkTunes!!!!!!!!! $50 at the Home Repo.

The best protection i have ever owned and it makes the day go by smoother
:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

LushGreenLawn
03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I use earbuds under my ear protection.

As far s the cord getting in the way, I keep a small mp3 player in my front pocket, loaded with songs I know I like, and keep it set on random so I don't have to mess with it throughout the day. The cord runs under my shirt and through my collar. The extra cord stays in my pocket, so just enough is out to let me move around.

You only feel the cord on your skin for a few seconds, after that you forget about it.

Howard Roark
03-30-2008, 09:27 AM
You're very smart to be concerned about hearing loss. I think you should forget about trying to listen to music while mowing.

I used just ear muffs to protect my hearing. It wasn't enough and a loud back-up machine that I hadn't operated in a long time got my ears ringing non-stop. I was losing sleep. Day after day. Night after night. Non-stop ringing. It was making me very unhappy.

Finally I visited an ear nose and throat doctor. Ear wax was partly to blame, but more than a year after that doctor visit, my ears are still ringing, though it is nowhere near as bad.

It's called "tinnitus" and it can ruin your life.

Tinnitus is much worse than hearing loss -protect your hearing. It's the smart thing to do. I recommend using ear plugs and ear muffs. Minimize noise exposure.

Have you tried Gingko Biloba? I know many people who got relief from this for tinnitus.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-30-2008, 09:33 AM
I use the Work tunes too and like them except they are not very comfortable the the hottest months of the summer. I used to use foam earplugs and they would be better in the summer, but I need my radio!

corey4671
03-30-2008, 10:12 AM
are worktunes digitally tuned or analog. I ain't buying nothing with analog crap on it.

mowerbrad
03-30-2008, 10:30 AM
I've used worktunes for several years. I don't know how I got by without them.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Ipod with ear muffs over the inner ear buds.

SoloSulkySurfer
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I have a good pair of Stihl earmuffs and have the ipod earbuds underneath. Makes the days go by alot faster.

Howard Roark
03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Yup...Like BUCKEYE said...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=208422&highlight=ipod

nosparkplugs
03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I do not listen to music on small accounts, But on larger wide area's I have started listening to music why. Noise cancellation, depending on the type & brand of headphones or ear phones you can actually be protecting your hearing while listening to music. As a general rule in our policy book no music or headphones until employee's are familiar with equipment and accounts. Listening to music at acceptable levels, while operating equipment does not harm your hearing, it protects it, buy 'bouncing/canceling harmful soundwave's away from your eardrums/TMC.

mjlcare
03-30-2008, 11:32 AM
i have been using pelton worktunes for over 4-5 yrs now and they world great and block out alot of the noise but not the sound of the blades starting or other important noises, so anybody worried about not being able to to hear anything in their surrounding dont worry and yes its nice to hear local traffic and radio that is happening at that time, helps me to stay working

LawnBrother
03-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Buy some Shure e2c earbuds. Sort of expensive, but worth every penny. Excellent sound and hearing protection as good as earplugs.

Whitey4
03-30-2008, 11:12 PM
I use a headphone (WFUV, Fordham University, which streams in the web, too) when I am raking and whatnot, but when I run a machine I use protection, not earphones. I also wear eye protection when I use any machine.

martyman
03-30-2008, 11:26 PM
I listen to music once in a while...too much hassle to do it all the time.

duelly44
03-30-2008, 11:28 PM
i bought the noise canceling headphones with radio wired in from home depot... the big yellow ones... seen them everywhere when i walked into that place. they worked great untill they fell off my head and cracked the battery holder cover...

so now i just use my mp3 player underneath the yellow noise cancelers that dont work anymore... and its great. a few customers like that i dance when im cutting thier lawns. :cool2:

YoungGun
03-31-2008, 12:19 AM
google peltor hearing protection the have built in radios or options for mps i put my ipod shuffle right on the headphones so my ipod is on my head

J&J Customs
03-31-2008, 12:47 AM
i have a show truck that doubles as my work truck (yes i know its odd) and i have 2 12" subs in the cab and flowmasters dumped so the damage has already been done haha

South Florida Lawns
04-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Does anyone listen to music as they cut? I would like to but I'm afraid that I will damage my ears. I was thinking of using in ear headphone under my regular ear protection. What do you all think?

I use my Ipod and earbuds and then cover them with some stihl hearing protection. The earbuds cancel out noise, so you don't have to blast your music.