PDA

View Full Version : Cheapskates, lowballers, Rain and now this.

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 11:38 AM
I thought this was going to be a good year since I picked up several landscaping jobs for this spring and was hoping to pick up a bunch of new mowing contracts. I guess its still early for mowing customers to start calling but I did give a few estimates for mowing only to find out I didn't get them due to price. The estimates I gave were very fair I thought, only to find out people they went with were mowing cheaper than I can afford to. I'm not to worried about lawn mowing since I will get more calls as the season goes on. I have several landscape jobs to do but can't get any of that done either do to rain. I have been running into all kinds of problems this year that I haven't in the past. This year price seems to be a very big deal and it just won't quit raining all of my landscaping jobs are on hold since the ground has been saturated since January. We have had over 20" + inches of rain since the first of the year. This March is going to break the 93 record which was the worst flooding in history at least until now. Another big problem I'm having now is that all of the boards on my trailers are so soaked with water that all the boards are swollen up and even if I could work I wouldn't be able to get my mowers on the trailers. The only option I have at this point is to replace all the board on all my trailers since it not going to dry out any time soon and I have work to do if the weather will give us a break.

landscaper22
03-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I feel your pain. My year is not starting out too great either. Mainly due to people dropping me and the economic slowdown. Things should begin to look up soon. Hope your conditions improve. I am like you with the landscaping jobs. Where the maintenance part is slowing down the installs are picking up. I am about to catch up on all of the extra work (installs, pine straw & mulch applications, etc...). So, it would be great to pick up a few more mowing accounts.

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Good luck with this year landscaper22. I know this will be a good year for us but I just wish it would quit raining for a week or two and the temps would at least make it to the low 70s.

LwnmwrMan22
03-30-2008, 02:31 PM
We're getting 3-7" of snow tomorrow... just when you thought things couldn't be worse. :rolleyes:

Sounds like that'll turn into more rain for you guys.

Mow Mony
03-30-2008, 03:07 PM
How can you not get the mowers onto a trailer because of the boards being saturated, I cant picture this...

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 03:13 PM
How can you not get the mowers onto a trailer because of the boards being saturated, I cant picture this...

Because its been so wet that the boards are soaked all the way through and have twisted and bowed up in the center. The boards are raised up more than 10" higher in the center four boards, the other two boards on each side are still fine.:cry:

IndyChad
03-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Get a garage, enclosed trailer, tarp, or a therapist please.:hammerhead:

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Get a garage, enclosed trailer, tarp, or a therapist please.:hammerhead:

Grow up, I don't think I said anything negative about you did I ?? I'm just trying to explain the problems I'm having with this season and wandering if anyone else is having the same problems as me. Your new to this business from the sounds of it and I hope things go well for you. Things are different in different parts of the country or for that matter even different parts of the same state.

bill8379
03-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I watch CNN and with all the brain washing going on that "News" channel it's no wonder people are worried about money.

Personally I don't believe a word of it, and besides everything is fine here in Canada except for gas prices.

georgiagrass
03-30-2008, 05:57 PM
We've had drought here for the last couple of years. I hope we get some of your rain this summer.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Drive up on them boards and the weight of the mower will push them down or either bolt them to the cross members..........wish I could complain about 20 inches of rain.....didnt hardly have that all year last year and just barely have 5 inches so far this year

wayne

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Drive up on them boards and the weight of the mower will push them down or either bolt them to the cross members..........wish I could complain about 20 inches of rain.....didnt hardly have that all year last year and just barely have 5 inches so far this year

wayne

There up to high to get a mower on the trailer so I tried retaining wall blocks and that didn't do any good either. I know the boards will go back down when things dry out but I just don't have time to wait so I went and bought new boards to replace the warped boards on my trailers. I hope things go better for you guys down south. I used to live in SC and have spent a lot of time in northern GA and all across the south. I hate seeing everything so dry down there its really a beautiful place to live. We're drowning in rain around here and most yards are flooded with water standing everywhere wish we could send it your way. I thought VA was getting more rain than the southern states, guess not. Good luck.

tilawn
03-30-2008, 07:28 PM
sounds like your boards are cut too long and too tight together when they were replaced last time

landscaper22
03-30-2008, 09:11 PM
I watch CNN and with all the brain washing going on that "News" channel it's no wonder people are worried about money.

Personally I don't believe a word of it, and besides everything is fine here in Canada except for gas prices.

I don't think it is as bad as the media makes it out to be. I know how they are. But people are feeling a pinch. There is plenty of work to be done, but when people do listen to the media and actually do feel a small pinch they start to cut back a little. Some make the decision to put off landscaping projects or cut their own property, if they think they can save a few dollars.

Charles
03-31-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't think it is as bad as the media makes it out to be. I know how they are. But people are feeling a pinch. There is plenty of work to be done, but when people do listen to the media and actually do feel a small pinch they start to cut back a little. Some make the decision to put off landscaping projects or cut their own property, if they think they can save a few dollars.

There were 1200 or so jobs that came open at the new KIA automotive plant in Georgia--43,000+ applicants showed up. I think that says a lot about the economy.
My customers are being hit at the gas pump, grocery store and low interest income on their savings. Not many want the extras they used to want me to do. Economist say this will be the worst recession since WW2 and they don't work for the media. I have seen this downturn coming for quite some time with gas pricing rising , the textile/Manufacturing plants shutting down, outsourcing out of the country etc etc.
People see the government borrowing like crazy to fight 2 wars and the $ practically worthless on world markets and they lose confidence. I know I have cut back on my spending.
The middle/upper middle class has been sold out and thats who many of us depend on for our income. Many will still thrive, but a larger % will struggle or fail

LwnmwrMan22
03-31-2008, 08:41 AM
There were 1200 or so jobs that came open at the new KIA automotive plant in Georgia--43,000+ applicants showed up. I think that says a lot about the economy.
My customers are being hit at the gas pump, grocery store and low interest income on their savings. Not many want the extras they used to want me to do. Economist say this will be the worst recession since WW2 and they don't work for the media. I have seen this downturn coming for quite some time with gas pricing rising , the textile/Manufacturing plants shutting down, outsourcing out of the country etc etc.
People see the government borrowing like crazy to fight 2 wars and the $ practically worthless on world markets and they lose confidence. I know I have cut back on my spending.
The middle/upper middle class has been sold out and thats who many of us depend on for our income. Many will still thrive, but a larger % will struggle or fail

Not to mention the housing market completely over built, with people that WERE able to get a sub prime mortgage now NOT able to get a new mortgage, so construction is going to be low for quite some time.

Charles
03-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Not to mention the housing market completely over built, with people that WERE able to get a sub prime mortgage now NOT able to get a new mortgage, so construction is going to be low for quite some time.

Ya that too. Many markets worse than others. There is a glut of homes on the market in may areas and therefore not much demand for new ones. Many consumers saw their net worth drop when housing prices dropped. They lost a lot of equity.
All this has combined to hurt our business. Keep in mind there is no limit to how high gas prices will go this summer. If we are paying 3 to 4$ now, we could be paying $5 to 6$ this summer during the peak demand season. Just sickening...

LwnmwrMan22
03-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Ya that too. Many markets worse than others. There is a glut of homes on the market in may areas and therefore not much demand for new ones. Many consumers saw their net worth drop when housing prices dropped. They lost a lot of equity.
All this has combined to hurt our business. Keep in mind there is no limit to how high gas prices will go this summer. If we are paying 3 to 4$ now, we could be paying $5 to 6$ this summer during the peak demand season. Just sickening...

I personally think gas and now diesel have leveled off somewhat....

It's been 3 years now that gas has floated between $2.50 and $3.25 here.

I think they raised the diesel prices high enough where there's alot of freight that doesn't get shipped until it needs to get shipped. Plus, in a pickup, you'll get roughly 25% better mileage per gallon with your diesel over a big V-8 gas, and that's where the price has been hanging at now for 3-4 months.

Charles
03-31-2008, 08:58 AM
All depends on which area of the country you are in. I paid $3.83 for diesel last week. The highest I have ever paid in my lifetime. $3.18 for mid grade. Prices are steadily rising here

LwnmwrMan22
03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
All depends on which area of the country you are in. I paid $3.83 for diesel last week. The highest I have ever paid in my lifetime. $3.18 for mid grade. Prices are steadily rising here

Yeah, I agree.... diesel is $4.01 here, gas has dropped back down to $2.90.

Probably wishful thinking that they've leveled off...

french's lawn care
03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
are the boards not pressure treated ? and you should gap them 1/4 of an inch ? just not understanding why they are warping we have had lots of rain here also and my boards are sittin pretty. just a comment not bashing on you

lawnpro724
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
are the boards not pressure treated ? and you should gap them 1/4 of an inch ? just not understanding why they are warping we have had lots of rain here also and my boards are sittin pretty. just a comment not bashing on you

The gap is about a 1/4 to 1/8" when there dry and they have been fine until this year. The boards on the trailers now are original boards and have never warped until now. I went out a bought some new pressure treated 2x8x16' to replace the warped boards. I'm sure they would go down in time but just don't have the time to wait. Its been raining for day's at a time with a day or two of dry weather then back to rain. It doesn't stay dry enough for anything to dry out and its been a real pain trying to get anything done this year.

french's lawn care
03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
oh my boards are bolted down also with galvanized carriage bolts good luck though