PDA

View Full Version : Jrco Aerators

Dustin1
03-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Does anybody use a Jrco aerator? How about a Turfco aerator? I do not know which one to buy.:confused:

Runner
03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
As far as the JRCO aerator, there are not very many pieces of equipment you can invest in that give you a return like these. These things are such a tremendous time saver and money maker, they do two things. They pay for themselves fast, and they pay for themselves so many times over and over, that there is really no reason not to have one.
As far as the Turfco aerators, I have personally never used one, but I can tell you by what others have said on here that have used Turfco equipment, they are a high quality machine. They are high end on the engineering, but ver reasonable on the price. YThe reason they can do this, is their buy direct operation - cutting out distributors and retailers. Another thing s, the factory support fro these two companies is second to none. JRCO has ALWAYS been a great company to work with, and from what I have heard and read, so is Turfco.

ED'S LAWNCARE
03-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Runner,
You have the JRCO aerator? You are the only one I read that likes them. If they would work as promised I would buy one?

Dustin1
03-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Thnaks for you input. Do you find a huge difference in the fact they don't pull traditional plugs? I think that question is holding me back from deciding. It looks like it would be a fast way to aerate.

I am from MN and Turfco is local. I see a lot of people that have them. The downfall is that it is its own machine. I like the idea of the Jrco mounting to my mower. I already have the Jrco dethacher.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Runner
03-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Oh man,...I'm sorry...I was thinking of the JRCO rake. That is what I was referring to. I don't know what's been going on with me lately. I've done the same type thing twice now in as many days. The JRCO aerator is not highly recommended. It just doesn't get the penetration, and doesn't have enough contact points...both of which are important...my girlfriend even tells me so.:rolleyes:

jcltyson
03-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I purchased a TM-42 Turfco aerator with the tongue and wheel package for towing behind my ZTR. I also have a utility tractor with 3 pt hitch I use when aerating larger areas (which doesn't require the tongue & wheels). The unit does a great job, pulling plugs out as you would expect. The only negative I have is when towing behind the ZTR with the tongue & wheel attachment you have to stop and raise each wheel separately to get the unit out of the ground to cross a driveway / walk way or what ever. A bit annoying but part of the package. I wish there was a quick raise unit but other than that I am pleased with Turfco. They also have great customer service.

grassgirl4
03-30-2008, 07:31 PM
I disagree with the JRCO not penetrating deeply enough. I bought one Spring 2006, along with the JRCO dethatcher. Shamefully, I did not utilize them (not even try them out!!) until last fall (2007), when I tried the aerator on my yard. It didn't look like it was doing a heck of a lot, but when I stuck my finger in one of the holes, it went all the way down to my palm. I literally just measured my finger with a ruler, and it is 3" long, so I'd say that ain't too shabby!!

As for the closeness of the holes/quantity of holes for the surface area, it seemed pretty darn good to me. I mean, how many more holes do you really need?! The idea is just to break up the compaction so water and nutrients can penetrate and promote better root growth, right?

Dustin1
03-30-2008, 07:37 PM
I think they all would agree with that. I wish I could find someone locally to try the JRCO out. I do not know who has one in MN.

grassgirl4
03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
On large properties, it is a huge time saver. However, eventually I will buy a small walk-behind unit, as well, to hit the hard-to-reach areas where the JRCO and ZTR cannot go...

Dustin1
03-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Thats a good idea. The JRCO seems like it is made for bigger properties. I'm glad we have lots of machinery choices for our industry

gene gls
03-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Save your money, I have a Jrco Hooker unit and don't use it. I rent a Plugger unit if I get a call for areation. The Hooker puts a lot of strain on your mower and most people are used to seeing plugs laying all over the lawn.