PDA

View Full Version : bank account

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 12:18 PM
how do i accept checks from a customer...i have not registered with the state and wondered if i can still collect personal checks

LawnCare_EMT
03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
yeah you can you just have to have them write it out to you and not your business name. You should consider getting a DBA they are only like $50 and allow you to open up a business checking account. Well worth it when a customer is able to write a check out to the business and not you.

LawnCare_EMT
03-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Also make sure you write on the receipt that there is a $25 dollar charge for all returned checks.

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 12:55 PM
You need to open a business checking account with your bank.

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
but do i need to be regitered with the state to have a business checking account.???

IndyChad
03-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Just register with the state and get legal. You will be thankful in the future. Usually you spend more time and money trying to do it the "easy" way than you would just getting legal.

DJ Contracting
03-30-2008, 01:32 PM
but do i need to be regitered with the state to have a business checking account.???

No you don't.

Lawn-Sharks
03-30-2008, 01:37 PM

Yes! you must because you need to show proof of articules of incorporation or LLC and you need to show proof of you ficticus name...you (DBA) also some banks want your FIEN number which you get from the IRS:hammerhead:

DJ Contracting
03-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes! you must because you need to show proof of articules of incorporation or LLC and you need to show proof of you ficticus name...you (DBA) also some banks want your FIEN number which you get from the IRS:hammerhead:

To open a bank account all you need is your SS # providing your not going to open a business & do this on the side, however with out getting a DBA,LLC or Inc. nobody will know your out there, but be ready to receive 1099's in the mail when people file there taxes then you'll have to pay taxes on the people that claim your work.

tamadrummer
03-30-2008, 01:56 PM
You do not have to be an LLC or INC to have a business account but you do have to have a DBA!

Go to your bank and get it. Shoot man, are you working on peoples property with out liability insurance and without workers comp exemption or if you employees workers comp?

How do you expect to be taken serious if you cannot even cash a check that is given to you?

Get legal or get out of the business. Sorry to be blunt but you are a danger when you are out there operating like you are right now.

DJ Contracting
03-30-2008, 02:10 PM
You do not have to be an LLC or INC to have a business account but you do have to have a DBA!

Go to your bank and get it. Shoot man, are you working on peoples property with out liability insurance and without workers comp exemption or if you employees workers comp?

How do you expect to be taken serious if you cannot even cash a check that is given to you?

Get legal or get out of the business. Sorry to be blunt but you are a danger when you are out there operating like you are right now.

I agree that people that are not legit are hurtting the industry, and to get a DBA here (in Michigan) all you need is your SS#. We can keep telling people to get legal or get out till were are blue in the face, but if it has worked for them than they wont change because someone is telling them on here or any other form to get out, i have two friends that are not legal and all i have done is helped them get their pricing in line with what the going rate is in or area, we will never stop people from trying to make money either they will suceed or fall and if they are susessful than there is a chance they will go legal.

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 02:19 PM
now dont get me wrong im trying to go about this the right way. after dumping $9000 on my first year start up im trying to make a little bit back before wasting all my time and effort on something thats not going to work out. I will eventually go all legal but as for now this is only a part time job and its kind of hard to get out and get my dba? or whatever else i might need cause 1 i dont know where to go about it and 2 i currently work 68 hours at my main job leaviing me mon thru fri after 6pm and sat after 1 to get anything accomplished. what government offices are open then? i only have a half hour window a week to make it to my credit union.

IndyChad
03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Then why spend 9 grand on equipment?

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 02:26 PM
cause i know i can make it back. and then some in a few seasons.

DJ Contracting
03-30-2008, 02:30 PM
now dont get me wrong im trying to go about this the right way. after dumping $9000 on my first year start up im trying to make a little bit back before wasting all my time and effort on something thats not going to work out. I will eventually go all legal but as for now this is only a part time job and its kind of hard to get out and get my dba? or whatever else i might need cause 1 i dont know where to go about it and 2 i currently work 68 hours at my main job leaviing me mon thru fri after 6pm and sat after 1 to get anything accomplished. what government offices are open then? i only have a half hour window a week to make it to my credit union.

Go to your city hall and check there, it only cost $10.00 here for them to check if the name is take or not, they will let you know within a day or two, for only $10.00 it to easy to become legit here in Michigan, you can do it on your lunch hour, good luck.

LawnCare_EMT
03-30-2008, 04:17 PM
You at least need a DBA. And if you shop around and talk to the right people liability insurance is really not all that expensive. It sounds to me like you spent the 9000 for equipment why not go legal now and spend the 40-50 for a DBA and a couple of hundred on liability. You are already 3/4 of the way there... go all the way

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 04:39 PM
and go where? where do i go to get it and what all do i need to have it? now what if the name i have is already in mi??? i have to tell 22000 + people that i changed it before i start? right now i dont see much sense in all the liability when its just me with not even one account. maybe mid summer when i have a client base.

tamadrummer
03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
right now i dont see much sense in all the liability when its just me with not even one account. maybe mid summer when i have a client base.

Throw one rock and hit one person in the head and you will see why having liability insurance is worth having on that one, one time cut account.

I carry 3 million aggregate and it only costs me $428/yr. If I hurt a Dr. or a Lawyer I am still screwed but jeez I have the max allowed until I can afford to get umbrella, whatever that is.

If your name is already taken, then why in the heck did you send out 22k post cards using someone elses name? If you don't know, why didn't you find out first? You could be stepping on someone elses toes and it doesn't sound like you care or maybe you just did not think about anything before you jumped into this.

I know I got my DBA online at 2am you may be able to do the same in MI I had to get my business license in person for the county and the city but that took only minutes and I had to show proof of liability and workers comp/ exemption

You should be able to get this stuff done in a total of less than 2 hours of your time if you at least give it a try.

M&SLawnCare
03-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Registering a DBA, and especially accepting checks in your business's name, while still being illegal, is just asking for trouble. The more you exist on paper the more likely it is you'll get caught. Just a little friendly advice.

Honestly if your serious about this (and i hope you are and thought it through before spending 9k) going legal is not hard nor expensive the first year. Assuming that 9k all went to the business then its deductible. So is the cost of registering, so is the advertising you did, so is the insurance and so on. You wont actually have to pay until you start to show a profit. Last year was my first legit year and i didn't end up having to pay a dime in taxes. The feeling of being legal and "a real business" and the perks you get as such really make it worth while if your serious about this and not another weekend warrior landscaper.

Elite LawnCare
03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
This one guy was mowin at a trailer park and flung a bolt up, it went thru the trailor, and bounced off this guys head that was taking a shower in the trailor......I dont think he woke up and said hmmm today Im gonna ruin someones shower.

kleankutslawn
03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
if you had 9k to spend on equipment,you should have the this 1st!!

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-30-2008, 10:39 PM
All these guys that posted on your thread are here to help you not hurt you. What i don't understand is you spent 9,000 on equipment im assuming?? and you don't have any accounts!!!:confused: That is the dumbest move you could have made.

DJ Contracting
03-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I agree that people that are not legit are hurtting the industry, i have two friends that are not legal and all i have done is helped them get their pricing in line with what the going rate is in or area, we will never stop people from trying to make money either they will suceed or fall and if they are susessful than there is a chance they will go legal.

This is odd i'm quoting myself anyway i just got off the phone with one of the guys that i was talking about and he called to tell me that he gave my # to his accounts and was getting out of the business i got three voice mails when i decided to check my phone (i left my phone on silent after church) anyway looks good, so far his prices were about $5.00 shy of mine for seniors, and looking to see what he has for sale.

J&R Landscaping
03-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Registering a DBA, and especially accepting checks in your business's name, while still being illegal, is just asking for trouble. The more you exist on paper the more likely it is you'll get caught. Just a little friendly advice.

Honestly if your serious about this (and i hope you are and thought it through before spending 9k) going legal is not hard nor expensive the first year. Assuming that 9k all went to the business then its deductible. So is the cost of registering, so is the advertising you did, so is the insurance and so on. You wont actually have to pay until you start to show a profit. Last year was my first legit year and i didn't end up having to pay a dime in taxes. The feeling of being legal and "a real business" and the perks you get as such really make it worth while if your serious about this and not another weekend warrior landscaper.

Nicely stated!!

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 10:48 PM
well in my state i dont need to have a liscense to cut. i checked with the state web site and another site can do all the filing and all that comes along with it for $125ish. so im working on it give me a break. im doing whatever i can with the money i do have now untill i can have some money come back in.