PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting the worst deal ever?

LiveFromNY
03-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a bid on my house in Central Texas. It's a small piece of land (approx 4/10 or an acre) with a fairly large house on it.

I just received a bid for some major landscaping... I was expecting a large number but I was not expecting tthe number I received (almost $70k). I am relocating from the east coast and am wondering if I am getting the east coast anti-discount.

Would anyone here be interested in reviewing the quote and giving me their opinion? I am happy to pay for you time.

Thanks in advance.

nlminc
03-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Shop! Get 3 quotes from area reputable companies. Make sure they have all of their insurance up to date and get some referrals.

I'm from the NE(Boston) and have found locals here in GA to be more than fair. Some of them are like family to me and I've only been here for 5 years. I doubt that your getting screwed because you're from NY........ um, well are you a Spankees fan? That may have something to do with it! ;)

If you want, I'll look over the bid. The thing is...different regions have different pricing/labor rates so I'm not sure if I would be able to nail it for you.

I'll bet you got a heck of a deal on the house in TX as opposed to NY!

Mark Bogart
03-30-2008, 01:45 PM
LiveFromNY that price sounds about average. I do a lot of landscape design/installs in Southern Colorado for people that are from that part of Texas. The homes they have here in Colorado are there second or third home. Pricing is comparable. You can pm me if you need more information.

LiveFromNY
03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
LiveFromNY that price sounds about average. I do a lot of landscape design/installs in Southern Colorado for people that are from that part of Texas. The homes they have here in Colorado are there second or third home. Pricing is comparable. You can pm me if you need more information.

All due respect, but your answer is nothing short of inane.

If I told you my quote called for nothing but grass and a single potted plant, does it sound "about average" now?

What if I told you my planned called for several retaining walls, forty stone steps, thirty 15ft plams, a 20x30 flagstone patio, and three koi ponds. Now does it sound "about average"?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input. But the answer you have provided is of no value.

KanAg
03-30-2008, 04:09 PM
All due respect, but your answer is nothing short of inane.

If I told you my quote called for nothing but grass and a single potted plant, does it sound "about average" now?

What if I told you my planned called for several retaining walls, forty stone steps, thirty 15ft plams, a 20x30 flagstone patio, and three koi ponds. Now does it sound "about average"?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your input. But the answer you have provided is of no value.

I can understand your frustration with estimates that are much more than you hoped they would be. Just like the intial replier suggested, get a couple of bids from other companys that are local and have a good reputation. Then compare what each is doing for you for the money they are asking. It may be you were quoted something on the far high end.....but then again after you get the other bids to review, who knows. Just try to be comfortable with waiting for the other bids so you get exactly what you can afford and not something done cheaply.

The one thing I am absolutely positive about is quality is not cheap and anything cheap is not quality.

mcclureandson
03-30-2008, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=LiveFromNY;2240531]All due respect, but your answer is nothing short of inane.

I think the problem begins with the original post...with all due respect, but your QUESTION is nothing short of inane.

Either provide enough details to warrant a meaningful and helpful response or do what anyone else should in this situation...

1) Get other quotes from reputable contractors and compare or...
2) Hire an LA and bid out his specifications or...
3) Establish a budget range and get bids accordingly

But don't get an attitude - I don't agree with what the previous poster had to say either - but he was just trying to help.

LiveFromNY
03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I think the problem begins with the original post...with all due respect, but your QUESTION is nothing short of inane.

Either provide enough details to warrant a meaningful and helpful response or do what anyone else should in this situation...

My question is perfect. Evidently reading is not your strong suit.

I didn't give specific details because I didn't ask people here to chime in with their opinions (again, it's a reading thing). I ASKED if anyone was interested in getting paid to review my plan and bid.

lawns Etc
03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I think you should end you career with 3 posts as you are not worth our time here as people are trying to help and you seem like a rich spoiled b@@@@

Cedar Valley Landscapes
03-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Well you all know that he cant put what he is getting on here for that price because there would be 300 posts on that is crazy and 300 posts on it is right. Also you would have a lot of people on here who dont know what they are doing commenting on things they have no idea on. Now I am not saying I know everything (one reason I never visit the pond forum), but I wouoldnt post on something I know nothing of, but somepeople will. But back to the posters question, if you would like, I would be more than willing to look over everything for ya.

ponyboy
03-30-2008, 08:28 PM
im in NY and doing this over 20 years i would like to see and review and i would give you an honest evulation. General rule aroung here is a good landscaping would be around 10% of the house price give or take.

Lawnworks
03-30-2008, 09:11 PM
I think I know why you got a 70k price tag on this one!!!

Skimastr105
03-30-2008, 11:24 PM
I would be happy to review the bid you recieved and help you out. Email me at akolenda@primeyardmaintenance.com and we can discuss this further. Alec.

tamadrummer
03-30-2008, 11:37 PM
I think I know why you got a 70k price tag on this one!!!

ding ding ding, give this guy a cookie. I think I know too. I probably would have bid 140k just so I didn't get the job after reading this fruits responses to people trying to help.

If you didn't want a vague answer, don't post vague questions. The bid is what it is, get another if that one isn't right or you. Or better yet, do your own landscape and then start your own company so you can lowball the contractor that bid your job.

CALandscapes
03-31-2008, 12:49 AM
LiveFromNY, PM me. I'd be happy to assist you in any way that I can.

There are a lot of people who post on here without really understand what they're talking about; just ignore them.

I will say that I like the idea of hiring a LA to design the landscape and then having several reputable companies bid on the design. That way you know that you're comparing apples to apples.

Skimastr105
03-31-2008, 01:06 AM
CA landscapes is right - 100%. Also the LA idea will probably give you your best results price wise... not to mention the plant choices and site design elements will be appropriate for your home.

Bull
03-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Live from ny you did state in your original post that you received a quote for some "major landscaping" this should and would lead the more experienced reader to believe that it is more than just "grass and a single potted plant".

jkingrph
03-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Austin is one of the more trendy, uppie areas in Texas. Prices there and in the surrounding hill country to the west of I 35 are very high. Do not know what you mean by major landscaping.

I would do like othershave said, and get more esitmates, and have a written plan of what I wanted for the contractors to follow.

MarcSmith
03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
mjs82@georgetown.edu I'll plug the numbers into some forms I created for my business.. No charge....

EagleLandscape
03-31-2008, 06:18 PM
I'll run the numbers for you. However, you will need to PM me with your email address so we can get in touch. Since you don't have enough posts, I cannot PM you. And we are not allowed to leave our email addresses on this site.

Visit www.eagle-landscape.com to get my email address.

newz7151
03-31-2008, 06:30 PM
My question is perfect. Evidently reading is not your strong suit.

I didn't give specific details because I didn't ask people here to chime in with their opinions (again, it's a reading thing). I ASKED if anyone was interested in getting paid to review my plan and bid.

What would we have to pay you to get you to reconsider moving down here?

wurkn with amish
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Seriously,
do you guys not value your time?
Why do you feel you need to help a guy who has bitten
someones head off with his replies. The only people who can give true prices are people from his area or close by. All you other guys are just giving numbers that are gonna screw up estimates he (might ) get. Because he'll pull out a sheet from a Landscaper in Michigan, Louisianna, D.C., they said this is what they'll charge.
give me a break!

MarcSmith
04-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Seriously,
do you guys not value your time?
Why do you feel you need to help a guy who has bitten
someones head off with his replies. The only people who can give true prices are people from his area or close by. All you other guys are just giving numbers that are gonna screw up estimates he (might ) get. Because he'll pull out a sheet from a Landscaper in Michigan, Louisianna, D.C., they said this is what they'll charge.
give me a break!

its not amatter of valuing ones time. if giventhe numbers it woudl take about ten minutes to plug the numbers and get a value Yes there are regional differences, but if i were price up a job in TX and a job in DC, the they are off my more than 10% I'd be suprised...

As a professional network (thats what Lawnsite is) part of our duties are to assist/educate folks who want a second opinion or are feeling like they are getting the wide end of a baseball bat...

yes there is a few "testy posts" which originate from the professional side of LS. and the homeowner replied with a testy response...The original post had no attitude, just a person with their hand out asking for some help.

so why not help....I have nothing to gain/lose by helping this person....but maybe my help will assist the person in making a good choice in regard to their landscape....Isn't that what LS is all about???? people helping people....

Lawnworks
04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
How could it be remotely accurate w/o a landscape plan, w/o seeing the site, and not knowing the cost of living?

MarcSmith
04-01-2008, 05:16 PM
How could it be remotely accurate w/o a landscape plan, w/o seeing the site, and not knowing the cost of living?

if you have a list of materials, you should be able to get in the ball park. I know planting a 3 gallon azalea here in DC will take about the same amount of time in TX....might be even easier in TX... i was looking at some garden centers and prices of perennials at garden centers (retail) is about the same as it here (retail) which means the wholesale prices would be similar.

yes you will find some regional difference and obviously planting 200 3" azaleas in flat land is easier than something with only wheelbarrow acess 200 feet on a 45* slope....

Again. I emphasize that the person just wanted someone (a professional) to look over a quote, hold their hand...and make sure they are not getting ripped off....I would imagine that if the person got in private contact with anyone more details would come out. but i would not expect the person to scan the plan and quote and then just dump then here on LS for all the world to see.

So yes there are aspects which could affect the quote, but if you plant a 2000 sqft bed on flat land in TX the same bed with similar materials in any other large cities should be close... so long as you are comparing apples to apples.

Cost of Living????

living in suburbia outside a large city, again...I'd venture to say 10% swing in prices of bread, milk, fuel, food, ect...

heck company size and the that partcilar company profit margins will affect the price..., the time of year when the job is being installed affects the price. how much of the PITA the homeowner appears to be while I'm bidding the job will affect price, how busy the crews are affects the price...whats your point...

Maybe the person is getting charged 50 bucks plus the cost of plant to install a $6 perennial... If I saw that Id say ripoff... if I saw 200 bucks for a yard of hardwood mulch installed I call ripoff, now if its no access or difficult, then we evaluate......

I'll be anyone of us here could look over a quote from any other location in the country, and get a "gut" feeling on a quote. And we'd be able to look at the materials and pricing, and say, yeah that looks ok...thats seems high, thats really cheap...ect.....I thinks thats all this homeowner is asking for...maybe I'm wrong and not reading enough into the original post???

kootoomootoo
04-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Last time I checked this site was developed for landscape "professionals" not price check on aisle 4 for homeowners.....

h400exinfl
04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Not sure what you recieved in the packet. I usually give a design, plant list and a price for the whole job. Without the design if someone gives me a plant list I can give a starting price for the job. Also, I'd surely jack up the price for the a**hole factor. Go f urself.

mcclureandson
04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
It's a complete exercise in futility. All these 'over the net' price checks will accomplish is to give this guy a skewed idea of what his landscape install 'should' cost...it'll just make it harder for the next contractor who has to deal with him.

He should be able to spot the obviously questionable (if any) items and research them accordingly.

Hardscaping...call local guys for square footage estimates (many will give range over the phone)

Irrigations...many guys give per head or per zone pricing over the phone.

Plantings...get retail pricing from any nursery (based on plant list from plan) and adjust accordingly.

Mulch...call supply yards.

BUT...that's just the beginning. If a landscape install was a straight forward endeavor we'd all operate along the same price lines. There are way, way, way too many intangibles to responsibly comment on someone else's quote.

You are wasting your time in response and providing inaccurate information for him to use as ammunition...no other way to look at it.

MarcSmith
04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Last time I checked this site was developed for landscape "professionals" not price check on aisle 4 for homeowners.....
then why is there is homeowners section?. which is where this should have been posted originally...but....This is FREE site and there are no limits to access you don't have to be a professional to post or ask questions...I'd love for this to be pay-to-play site, it might scare away a lot of the posers...

It easy for us to say that it would be easy to spot something that looks out of place, ITS WHAT WE DO FOR A LIVING, but when we go and price things. and people figure out the hourly rate we are charging they go ape sht...WHY...they don't have any idea of what its takes to run a landscape business....Just like when you or I go the auto dealer they get us for 70-80 bucks for changing out an O2 sensor and putting our car on the computer for 15 minutes to clear codes...

markam70
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM

what professionals?... i thought everyone on here was a 13 yr old kid with a 21" mower

MarcSmith
04-02-2008, 06:54 PM
what professionals?... i thought everyone on here was a 13 yr old kid with a 21" mower
no that in the tween section....
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2247634#post2247634

:)

when I'm at the masters next week I'll be wearing my Lawnsite T Shirt...I'll try to get on TV...

Maybe I'll get some $$$ for promoting the site...

I will post all my pics ..2 gig ready to go...

kootoomootoo
04-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Sux to be you at the masters...

I have had two jobs over the past 7 years where I gave them a quote and then they came on here to ask others what they would charge.

wurkn with amish
04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I have a feeling the guy is trolling and wanted to see what he could get started.
I'd charge him 100k just for the same job, w/o seeing it!

MarcSmith
04-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Sux to be you at the masters...

I have had two jobs over the past 7 years where I gave them a quote and then they came on here to ask others what they would charge.

5 rounds of golf in pinehurst starting tomorrow follwed by the Augusta....not a bad vacation...
now if I could only swing over to scotland for a week.....

kootoomootoo
04-03-2008, 12:32 AM
I'll quote 99,000 and i need 5 rounds at pinehurst thrown in.

Doster's L & L
05-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Boy, there sure are a number of brown nosers on this site! "Please, Mr. New Yorker sir, I would LOVE to punch in the numbers for you. S..s..s.sir I ... I'll pay you to let me look at your numbers."

I thought all you boys from the country of Texas had rebar in your spines and piss in your veins.

John Zaprala
05-21-2008, 04:28 AM
I have to agree with kootoo... although this site welcomes everyone, it doesn't mean it should invite HO's to "run numbers" or ask " how do I build a wall that is 40' long by 4' high?" The fact that a homeowner is asking these questions on here means he's not informed... not my problem their contractor didn't do his job in selling his idea to his customer. There would be no question of cost if he had gotten 3 estimates on a design a LA (paid design) designed for him. This is a broken record at this point, but if you get nothing from this thread take this one bit of information. If you want to make sure you're not getting ripped off, look at the proposed plan, the price and ask yourself, is it worth $70K? If you think it's expensive, then you can't afford it or will most likely have buyer's remorse. If you're just not sure it's worth $70K then it's a good idea to scale the project into sections, commit to the contractor to do a portion of the work and see if your thought process changes after seeing the amount of labor that goes into his plan.

jrush
05-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Why would anyone give this (censored) the time of day? He's an a$$ period. Why don't you stick up for your fellow landscaper and tell this guy to where o go and how to do it? pm me so I won't be censored when I tell you to F-OFF! Don;t shop around on this site, and don't talk s**t to people who answered your question. How would everyone feel when they gave a cust an estimate if the potential job hopped on the internet and started asking for better prices on LS! :hammerhead: There's a good chance this guys wife will be giving you the eye while doing the job though... I know his type and the wives are miserable. :)

John Zaprala
05-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Why would anyone give this (censored) the time of day? He's an a$$ period. Why don't you stick up for your fellow landscaper and tell this guy to where o go and how to do it? pm me so I won't be censored when I tell you to F-OFF! Don;t shop around on this site, and don't talk s**t to people who answered your question. How would everyone feel when they gave a cust an estimate if the potential job hopped on the internet and started asking for better prices on LS! :hammerhead: There's a good chance this guys wife will be giving you the eye while doing the job though... I know his type and the wives are miserable. :)

I think that sums up what most were thinking, but didn't say. They call to tell you plants are dead a week after installation... "I swear I've watered!"