PDA

View Full Version : first year

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 12:41 PM
so this is my first year in business and it seems to be a very slow start. no calls yet other then to fertilize but i did have a mailing out that is supposed to hit 20000 to 22000 homes. hope this brings me something or im in the wrong business.

LawnCare_EMT
03-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Congrats and best of luck.
Who did your mail out if you dont mind me asking?? :)

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't know about this being the wrong business but it is a very saturated market and this is probably the worst year to get into it. I hope things pick up for you but again this is not the best year to be starting out. Good Luck.

LawnCare_EMT
03-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree it is VERY saturated market this year. I dont know about yall's area, but mine is FULL of lowballers and they are making me have lots of grey hair. Best of luck again

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 01:04 PM
i went through a company called j and m advertising. they made me a flyer thing and mailed them all out in a value pack coupon book. plus i have been flyering already. i know its my first year and will be slow but i hope on 20 to 25 accounts by fall

IndyChad
03-30-2008, 01:10 PM
My question is "What would be the best year to get into this business?" Was it 1984, 1995, 2003,2010? You have to be conscious of the economy, but you cannot run your business directly off the economy. If you try to do this then you will never find a good year to start your business.

The midwest weather has been a little crazy this year, so after your direct mailings go out you will get calls. Good luck to you and do not get frustrated. Keep your long term goals in mind and do the little things to achieve those goals.

Icemanku
03-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't know about this being the wrong business but it is a very saturated market and this is probably the worst year to get into it. I hope things pick up for you but again this is not the best year to be starting out. Good Luck.

What are you basing this on? I feel you would think every year would be a bad year to be getting into the business.

slammedeuro20
03-30-2008, 02:51 PM
the lawn care business has been like this since i started working in it 10 years ago.

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 02:58 PM
What are you basing this on? I feel you would think every year would be a bad year to be getting into the business.

The reason this is not as good of a year as others is the fact that the economy is slowing down, people are losing their jobs and people who have money are hanging on to it for now. I'm not saying not to do it just that its not the best time given the circumstances. This is an election year and the economy is tight at best and if Dems get in office taxes are going to go through the roof and people are scared. Prices for lawn care are the lowest I've seen in 10yrs and everything else is going up at a record pace. I just don't think the money is going to be very good for someone just starting out but hey its up to you. Do what you want and good luck with your decision.

IndyChad
03-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Lawnpro: Man is there a dark cloud over your house or did someone screw you with an adjustable rate mortgage on your home too. At least try to be positive.

lawnpro724
03-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Lawnpro: Man is there a dark cloud over your house or did someone screw you with an adjustable rate mortgage on your home too. At least try to be positive.

I've been in this business for over 20yrs and have seen a lot in that time. My house is paid for and so is all of my equipment, boats, bike, car, trucks and so on. I'm better prepared to weather problems than most and I also have a 100% retention with customers. What I was saying is that there have been much better times in the last 20yrs than now. I'm not saying don't get into this business but I'm being realistic, its going to be a tough road for someone who is getting in at this time. Everyone thinks they can get into this business and its going to be a piece of cake and its not especially now. The market is saturated with new businesses starting up and everyone else with a mower mowing and all of this is doing nothing but driving prices to there lowest in 10yrs. I'm all for competition but with that said it means everyone carries workers comp, liability insurance, licensed and meets all other tax burdens and state regulations then maybe prices would be higher than what they are. I can compete with anyone out there if they want to compete on the quality of work instead of price.

IndyChad
03-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Where are you getting your statistics for the "lowest prices have been in 10-years"? Educate us on your source, please. Like any other business, it is what you make of it. Regards to your other comment about me being new to the business, this is not true. I just choose not to consider myself in the business when I mowed my first lawn at the age of 8. I did learn a little about business in college since that is what I studied. If you are negative and always looking for that perfect time to start a business, you will be waiting all your life. By no means is it easy, but it should be a lot more rewarding.

lawnpro724
04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Where are you getting your statistics for the "lowest prices have been in 10-years"? Educate us on your source, please. Like any other business, it is what you make of it. Regards to your other comment about me being new to the business, this is not true. I just choose not to consider myself in the business when I mowed my first lawn at the age of 8. I did learn a little about business in college since that is what I studied. If you are negative and always looking for that perfect time to start a business, you will be waiting all your life. By no means is it easy, but it should be a lot more rewarding.

I also have a degree in marketing, network admin and business mgmt. All areas are different just take a look at some of the posts on this site about other areas of the country. Study demographics for you area, that will give you an idea on how things are going where you live. I have never said to anyone not to get into this business. I believe 100% of the time you can do more for your family working for yourself than for someone else. Like I said I've been in this business for over 20yrs and have seen a lot in that time. In my area lawns that were $30 10yrs ago are now being done for $20 and everything is much higher than 10yrs ago. The competition where I live is over the top in lawn care and everyone is under cutting everyone else just to get work. If you have a degree in business you should understand how this effects business. The other side of the coin is the economy it may not be as bad as we all hear but in some parts of the country it is. Many people mainly retired and elderly just can't afford to pay anymore and many others who did are doing it themselves because they can no longer afford to pay and if they still do its to the lowest possible cost. People who have the money to pay are looking for any way they can find to save money and that means going with the lowest bidder or just doing it themselves. In uncertain times people who have money will instead save it in case they need it for whatever comes up. I wish you luck in your endeavor, let everyone know how things go for you this year.