PDA

View Full Version : Ferris vs Simplicity model differences

Jbarreca
03-30-2008, 02:29 PM
First off thanks for the informative site, I've been wearing out the search button and learning alot.

So my situation, homeowner with an increasing property size (now almost 3 acres) and decreasing amount of time to mow, time to get rid of the painfully slow lawn tractor. Yard is pretty bumpy and can be fairly wet, flat no hills at all, not much to mow around though (got it all landscaped with nice big smooth radius). Looking at a 50" range ztr...was hoping to stay under 5k until I started to really understand the differences between transaxles and seperate pumps and motors...I could probably live with some xt2800's and would last a long time for me but the engineer in me really likes seperate pumps and motors :)
After a lot of research on here I was about ready to buy a badboy zt with vangaurd for $4500....but my crazy bumpy yard has me worried (a friend who mows commercially warned me I'll take a beating on this yard on a ztr). This weekend I got to the local Ferris/scag/exmark/grasshopper dealer....Ferris has my attention with the suspension (badboy suspension unit is more than I want to spend) dealer has new ferris 1500 with 48" cut kawi engine I can get down to $6100 plus tax...more than I wanted to spend but ohhhh the suspension :) So I notice simplicity and ferris are related....but I'm confused which models line up with which models and which simplicity to look at? Citation is the 1500 cousin, just with a different motor? Anything else different? Which other simplicities should I look at and other than engines what else is different between the ferris and simplicity? The Ferris seems to be a good deal more expensive...just judging by online msrp of the simplicity.... I can get my seperate pumps and motors and suspension for 5K range....I know the badboy guys will say the deck isn't as thick and no hydraulic lift etc but I"m not mowing commercially, think any of these decks will work for me.

Thanks for any info!

Jbarreca
03-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Anyone a Ferris or Simplicity dealer and know the differences?

Frue
03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Briggs owns both simplicity and ferris so they are simular. I have the is 2000 and when I went to a simplcity dealer I seen the same mower. There was only one differences but I dont remember what it was. I know the difference aired on the ferris side for the good. But this dealer was about 800 more on his simplicity than I paid for my ferris.

lawnwizards
03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
here is the simplicity champion i'm selling on ebay. it has the 4 wheel suspension. provides a very smooth ride. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280212090355&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling

Jbarreca
03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
After talking with the simplicity dealer today it looks like for the citation/1500 that I'm looking at the motor is the difference....Briggs vangaurd on the simplicity and a Kawi on the Ferris.....Ferris is 100 bucks more also. So the new question is, what's the opinion on Vangaurd vs. Kawi engines?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-31-2008, 03:20 PM
'They are both top engines,they will have a 2 year warranty....

Jbarreca
04-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I bought the ferris 1500 48" today for $6100, couldn't budge him off that, probably not a steal but fair...looking forward to the suspension on my bumpy lawn :)

jkelton
04-03-2008, 12:03 AM
You should really like that machine. I am a long time Simplicity dealer and I really like that mower - it's one of my favorites Simplicity/Ferris make (besides the Cobalt - talk about ride!).

Envy Lawn Service
04-03-2008, 06:28 AM
Anyone a Ferris or Simplicity dealer and know the differences?

Not a dealer... but the paint and engine options are the difference...

And for me when I was looking at them, the major difference was the warranty.... commercial warranty on the machine that is...

After talking with the simplicity dealer today it looks like for the citation/1500 that I'm looking at the motor is the difference....Briggs vangaurd on the simplicity and a Kawi on the Ferris.....Ferris is 100 bucks more also. So the new question is, what's the opinion on Vangaurd vs. Kawi engines?

In my opinion and experience, the Vanguard is the better engine...
Lasts longer, runs quieter, more trouble free, and much easier on gas.
You probably paid a bit more for less power and torque...

I bought the ferris 1500 48" today for $6100, couldn't budge him off that, probably not a steal but fair...looking forward to the suspension on my bumpy lawn :)

When I first read this thread I did not have time right then to reply.

The suspension will be nice and you may even end up adding a suspension seat for more comfort.

I was going to recommend standing to mow... stand-on type mower or walkbehind and sulky... especially since it was only going to be for your lawn cutting, and because your lawn is rough.

Jbarreca
04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys. Of course this is just dealer talk...but my Ferris dealer assures me the 1500 and Citation are not exactly the same....he claimed the cut was better with the Ferris because of higher blade speed I think, something about it being commercial vs the Simplicity's homeowner ranking so the blade speed was higher...I also noticed they spec the mph higher on the Ferris also...10 vs 9...so maybe they do in fact turn up the hydraulic pressure on the commercial Ferris? So differences I've found so far are wider tires on the Ferris, engine, lights standard on simplicity, higher speed on ferris and possibly blade speed, oh and paint color :)....dealer also claims the Kawi's monster air filter is worth a good amount also....not sure for homeowner how much that matters though...he didn't rag on the vangaurd though....probably because he had already hyped it up to me on another model he had in stock that used it :)

I really should stop looking for differences as it's a done deal and coming on monday...but I like to have the knowledge I guess....feel better about this dealer also...simplicity dealer was basically a hardware store that sells simplicity...Ferris dealer has a nice place that sells Ferris, Scag, Grasshopper, Exmark, Great Dane etc....

fatjack
04-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I haven't been involved with the Simplicity/Ferris guys for awhile, but I remember that the Ferris-built mowers with the Simplicity brand had to have some safety things changed to sell them to homeowners; something about different ANSI standards. As mentioned above, there were better engines and higher blade-tip and running speeds. They also had better quality, more comfortable seats, while the homeowner models had more safety features. One that I remember is that you need a wrench to get at the belts and spindles on top of the deck; on the pro models there's usually a quick access catch or bungee hook to take off the deck cover.
The Simplicity (and maybe some Snapper models too) are built by Ferris and may look alike side-by-side, but there are differences that make the Ferris better for commercial use.

FJ

Envy Lawn Service
04-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys. Of course this is just dealer talk...but my Ferris dealer assures me the 1500 and Citation are not exactly the same....he claimed the cut was better with the Ferris because of higher blade speed I think, something about it being commercial vs the Simplicity's homeowner ranking so the blade speed was higher...I also noticed they spec the mph higher on the Ferris also...10 vs 9...so maybe they do in fact turn up the hydraulic pressure on the commercial Ferris? So differences I've found so far are wider tires on the Ferris, engine, lights standard on simplicity, higher speed on ferris and possibly blade speed, oh and paint color :)....dealer also claims the Kawi's monster air filter is worth a good amount also....not sure for homeowner how much that matters though...he didn't rag on the vangaurd though....probably because he had already hyped it up to me on another model he had in stock that used it :)

I really should stop looking for differences as it's a done deal and coming on monday...but I like to have the knowledge I guess....feel better about this dealer also...simplicity dealer was basically a hardware store that sells simplicity...Ferris dealer has a nice place that sells Ferris, Scag, Grasshopper, Exmark, Great Dane etc....

Yeah, I wouldn't own another Kawasaki without the canister filter... and it is pretty pricey if you have to add it... and you do if it's not a stock item because standard Kawi airbox/filtration sucks.

Sounds like you certainly made the right choice though.
A good dealer is worth as much as the machine in some cases.