PDA

View Full Version : FS 90 edger ?

qwaller
03-30-2008, 05:40 PM
I have about decided on a Stihl FS 90 trimmer. Just had a question though for anybody familiar with them. Will they accept the Stihl edger attachment and if so, is it hard to make this work or should I consider the kombi system?

Thanks

mjlcare
03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
i dont know what you mean by the edger attachment, so if you could clarify what you mean by that but the combi setup is more residential than commercial, but any stihl products are good but it will work out if you just get the the fs90 or bigger and the fs90 edger

money well spent

nosparkplugs
03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
The Stihl professional grade edgers FS110, as well as Stihl Professional grade line trimmers, all have a solid or hollow "square" one piece, straight, drive shafts, depending on model. I purchase the Stihl professional grade interchangeable gearboxes to mount on our FS250R's: I have used the Edger attachment on my FS250R, it's a monster with the Edger attachment. Use the Torex bit tool to interchange the gearbox's, I have accumulated over 5 Stihl FS 110's or FS250R power heads, so I rarely interchange now, i do put gearbox's on the new FS250R's.
The Kombi line of Stihl products is for "occasional use", the split shaft design is not for HD commercial use.

qwaller
03-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Someone told me that you could take the head off the trimmer and put the edger attachment on, but I thought they might be mistaken. Only wondering as this would be used occasionally at my folks property prob 10 times a year.

qwaller
03-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Does anyone happen to know what these interchangeable edger heads typically run cost-wise?

mowerbrad
03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
The FS90 will accept the interchangable attachments. The attachments will usually run anywhere from just over $100 to about $300. In my opinion I would rather have two different trimmers, one with the trimmer head always on it and the other that I could use for different attachments.

qwaller
03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Mowerbrad, that makes sense, but I am just talking about occ. use for my parent's property. If it is not difficult to change it may work out for them. I'll run it by them this evening

Thanks for the replies guys:)

mowerbrad
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Okay I see what you are saying. The attachments can usually be changed out in a matter of minutes so since it is just for occasional then getting one with all the attachments you want would be a good idea. The trimmer and attachment should work perfectly for the use you described.

SomervilleLawncare
03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I also have the fs-90 and just bought the edger attachment. Stihl sells two edgers for this model. I bought the heavier duty one and it was $149.99 but they had one that was a little smaller for about $110.

nosparkplugs
03-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Sommerville, I use to live in Grand Rapids, MI, did my Internship at Butterworth Hospital. Graduated from Ferris State University 1995, assoicate of applied science, BS health systems management. Now full Time LCO in memphis making more $$$$

Zooropa93
03-31-2008, 02:28 AM
I also have the fs-90 and just bought the edger attachment. Stihl sells two edgers for this model. I bought the heavier duty one and it was $149.99 but they had one that was a little smaller for about $110.

There's only 1 edger attachment made for the fs90/110/130, but there are 2 choices on the KM versions. The split shaft KM units have a choiceof buying the straight shaft edger attachment which is basically the same gearhead as the regular FC attachment like that on the FC95/110 units to fit the FS90/110/130 or you can get the FCB attachment for the KM which is the curved shaft one that uses the gearhead from the FC75/90 units.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Yep like stated above.....takes maybe 5 minutes to switch over

wayne

cgaengineer
03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
The Kombi line of Stihl products is for "occasional use", the split shaft design is not for HD commercial use.

Simply not true...not trying to argue but the KM130R is hardly what I would call a residential use or occ use powerhead...at right at $400 for the head its a little out of reach for the typical homeowner...it has the most power of all the Kombi heads and is a solid shaft. The attachments switch easily the unit has plenty of power (1.9hp) and the most important thing...I dont have to maintain several units, only 2 power units.

cgaengineer
03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Yep like stated above.....takes maybe 5 minutes to switch over

wayne

The Kombi is easier to switch because it doesnt require tools...and takes seconds to change attachments.