PDA

View Full Version : Edging question for sidewalks

machsixer
03-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Okay board, I know this may be a dumb question.
I have a nice bladed Stihl edger. When I edge my sidewalks for the first time of the year, I seem to get a nice cut dragging it backwards, but the remainder of the overgrown grass/turf that remains on the sidewalk looks like S**T! How do all you guys remove the turf that seems forever embedded to the concrete after making your first or second nice grooved verticle cut? I've tried blowing it and even raking to loosen it up but that sure seems to take a while, not exactly cost effective. I've also gone back over it with my string trimmer which really doesn't seem to loosen the turf either. Am I missing something? I even thought about grinding it loose/off with my blade but that doesn't seem to be the best thing for blade life! Any ideas would be great! Thanks in advance from a newbie!!

tilawn
03-30-2008, 08:18 PM
overgrown from previous season? why not edge through out the mowing season and you would not have the problem in the beginning

hockeypro1411
03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
i dont think i fully understand what you're asking, but ill take a stab at it. when we have a new customer whos got grass thats basically taking over the sidewalk we get a straight shovel and basically edge the grass with that and scrape whats left off the concrete and into a pile.

dlmccarthy
Use a square headed spade -- slide it flat against the sidewalk under the "ugly" turf you have already cut. Pick up by hand, then blow.

Mimowerman
If I am understanding your post correctly... You mean the grass still left after you edge once, and blow the edged grass off the walkway. I fix this problem by edging sometimes twice, backwards, and then a flat shovel. However edging twice typically gets 95%

Tturfcare
03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe spray a little Round Up. I don't know though that is a thought

delphied
03-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I hold my edger at an angle and run the end of the blade against the concrete to cut the turf out better. I sometimes have to pull chunks out after this on the first edging. After that it should clean up well if you edge each week. In other words, instead of the edger blade being perfectly paralell to the cement, angle it at about 30 degrees and it will kind of cut a wedge of turf away from the cement.

machsixer
03-31-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the fast replies board, I appreciate it and will try all of your ideas!

Carolina Cuts
03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
First cut of the season, I edge once w/new blade.... then clean it up with the trimmer.... one more time with the edger.

cgaengineer
03-31-2008, 10:04 AM
You should edge every week to avoid this problem. I have only seen this problem for new edge or one that has not been maintained in a long time.

Marcos
03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not a mower...I'm a fertilizer applicator...but the topic of "edging" brought my attention to this thread.

Sidewalk and driveway edges are no doubt about the highest stressed-out turf areas of the lawn. It gets driven on and walked on more, gets hot faster, and dries out much faster than the rest of the lawn.

And many people expect the 'edges' to look JUST AS GOOD as the body of the lawn.

But at the same time, a lot of people like to see a 'moat' trenched out around the complete perimeter of their hard surfaces...

What's this a recipe for ?!?
Summer WEEDS...including crabgrass, foxtail, spurge, purslane, etc....

...ESPECIALLY if these 'moats' are edged out somewhat after the spring's application(s) of crabgrass pre-emergent.

So my point of this blog is to encourage mowers (and homeowners) to 'trench' their edges in the spring a couple weeks before the lawn care company applies the pre-emergent barrier.

Then thereafter, the 'edging' that should be done for the REMAINDER of the summer should simply be trimming the GRASS back to the hard surface, and NOT doing ANY physical cutting into the soil (until very late in the season).

This practice will help keep summer annual weeds under control in these difficult areas, so long as the turf is relatively thick to begin with.

J&J Customs
03-31-2008, 10:33 AM
outdoor broom or shovel even a pressure washer. i have some new accounts that just the edging has taken me 3 hours after you get the inital edge out of the way on the overgrown sidewalks, driveways, etc it makes it so much easier to maintain but if you let it slide one time it wont look that good and itll just make it harder to edge the next time in my opinion edge it shovel it or whatever and keep it done everytime you mow youll be happy and the property owner will love you