PDA

View Full Version : Am I completely screwed?

Johnson LCO
03-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I bought a cub cadet 1748 not too long ago. One of the hydros had to be pressed farther forward than the other to track straight. I checked the hydro oil resevior and it was low but I wasnt to concerned. I was changing everything and noticed that unlike my exmark this has two reseviors. The one on the side of the weak hydro was bone dry. I havent really moved or touched it since I bought it. If I refill it will it be ok? How do I tell if the hydro needs replacing? Everywhere that sold hydro oil was closed tonight but I am gonna refill it tommorow. Will it return to normal? Is there something I should do? I am so angry that I was stupid and didnt check both before I bought it.

Evans Lawn Service
03-30-2008, 10:06 PM
is this a z or a walk

Johnson LCO
03-30-2008, 10:11 PM
its a walk behind.

Evans Lawn Service
03-30-2008, 10:26 PM
ok lets see.....i have a 15/48 hydro pistol grip and mine does the same thing i run the castor type sulkie and a little loose (4 years old).look at your tire psi i run about 15 psi on the back.ok one more thing when im mowing i notice that i stand on my right side (leaning) because i have a bad left ankle and it will pull alittle to the left and i just push the left hydro hand a little more foward than the right.....oh yea when i change out the hydro oil it will pull funny for about 5 or so min. and it will be fine...mine always is not foward the same i have to push the left a litttle forword and im about 225 pounds

daysel
03-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Is it not performing right, or are you wondering if you damaged it?

Evans Lawn Service
03-30-2008, 10:29 PM
oh my cub dealer said that the handles are ajustable.....if you cant figure it out call yours or take it back but pushing one handle forward a little is fine mine is 4 years old and still running strong

Johnson LCO
03-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I am wondering if the lack of hydraulic fluid is the cause of the weaker hydro. I am also wondering if it is damaged by running completely dry on fluid.

Evans Lawn Service
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
how long did you run it? when i change out the oil i just lift the back end up with a jack and i run the handles all the wat forward for about 5 to 10 min.it will act funny untill all the oil goes to the wheel motors

Two Rivers
03-30-2008, 10:40 PM
fill it with oil which is heavy duty motor oil for mowers.. then bleed the lines.. there should be a screw or a bolt that does that. put it in gear and see. then fill the resevior back up after it fills the lines..... It probley has oil still in the lines.. inless you crank it up and squeeze the handles and it doesnt move at all...

kleankutslawn
03-30-2008, 10:42 PM
i hope you didn't damage it.is it inder warranty?

Johnson LCO
03-30-2008, 10:56 PM
It has been run for less than 5 mins by me since it has gone dry. I guess there is still some oil in the lines considering it still moves. I bought it used with under 200 hours on it so the damage cant be too great. I guess I just have to find a place that sells the hydro oil, fill it and see if it works alright. Maybe the difference in the hydros is just an adjustment, I will look into that. If there wasnt a difference, I might not of checked the oil and then who knows what would of happened.

Evans Lawn Service
03-30-2008, 11:01 PM
the oil is 20-50 oil if i remember right

Johnson LCO
03-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Went to a bunch of places...no one had it. The manual says mobil DTE 26, but I have no idea where to get it. I will call around when places are open tommorow.

Two Rivers
04-01-2008, 10:28 PM
get high quailty 20/50 at auto zone... 200 hrs no need to change filter...just top it off

Jay Ray
04-01-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm no expert on this, but even though the reservoir was dry there was probably oil circulating in the pump. I'd say there is a good chance you will be all right. Hope so anyway.