PDA

View Full Version : Get-R-Cut --> bad landscaping name?

duelly44
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
so ive been in the business for coming up on my fifth year.... never had commercial accounts. had plans for partnership but fell through. had 40 accounts two years ago and now im around 20. people died, had some undercutters and i need to get back above 40.

registered my business name as "Get-R-Cut".... ya know, like larry the cable guy get-r-done.... i think it may be affecting how many replies i get from flyers/advertising....

my buddy has a decent name, but sounds more professional. sunway landscaping and his business is non-stop. hes been around longer but still

pass out 5000 flyers and maybe 2 calls? what is this b.s.?! and some of my customers love the name. others go... get.... "R"..... cut, i dont get it. like where have you been the last 5 years.

what do you think? is a name change in order?

is the get-r-done with get-r-cut slogan a thing of the pass? would be bummer because ive had a killer logo for it since i started.

any and all comments would be appreciated.

Raven386
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
maybe your flyer wasn't that appealing...

kleankutslawn
03-30-2008, 10:41 PM
if you do quality work,name won;t be a big deal.my.2

duelly44
03-30-2008, 11:00 PM
i tried uploading the pamphelets so you can see but just cant get it out of a word document

duelly44
03-30-2008, 11:02 PM
okay, nevermind... the pamphelets from 06 and 07 should be there now. let me know

kleankutslawn
03-30-2008, 11:23 PM
nice logo but you really don't say much

duelly44
03-30-2008, 11:32 PM
any ideas to make it better? would appreciate it

kleankutslawn
03-31-2008, 06:13 AM
give some info on prices,what services you offer,any discounts,just general information about what you offer

LushGreenLawn
03-31-2008, 06:33 AM
I can see why people might not go with you based on your name. I am not trying to offend you, but it makes you come off as sort of a redneck, almost a fly by night. Some people may hire you just because of this, but more people will stay away from you because of it.

I would change the name to something more professional. We had a guy around here called Get R Done Lawncare for a few years, and more than one of my customers commented on it, making fun of it.

Again, I'm not trying to offend you, just sharing my honest opinion.

cgaengineer
03-31-2008, 10:39 AM
If you were Larry the Cable Guy it would probably work...

hackitdown
03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't call a company by that name, it sounds too redneck to me.

MarcSmith
03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
would you take your car or truck to a one stop oil place that has the name "get-r-changed", or a restaurant with the name "Get-r-cooked" or a dentist with the name "get-em-cleaned" or a barber with the name "get-r-cut". We btch about how as an industry on the whole we get shat on, and not taken seriously, and you have a name like "get-r-cut" and we wonder why we are not taken seriously as an industry/career.

a catchy name is nice. but I had MJS Landscaping in Florida....and it was fine....never had any yellow pages ads never had any flyers, and I had three crews running.

The name isn't everything, buts it the first thing a customer sees. While it may be humorous i'm sure some clients will think of larry the cable guy and and wonder, Do I really want a fat, ignorant, loudmouth, redneck working at my home? Don't know about you, but I would not want it at my house, and even if you aren't a fat, obnoxious redneck, you name says you are...

ExcaliburLawnCare
03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
It is the connotation along with bad grammar. People DO JUDGE you on appearance, quality, and yes....your vocabulary. Like it or not, anything associated with a redneckesque sound will probably be scoffed at by your upper middle through upper class population to whom you may be marketing yourself. Here is a tip...no one wants to see a bunch of guys working without their shirts, no one wants to see you smoking, and no one wants a slack-jawed-yokel doing any work on their property.

All_Toro_4ME
03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Aside from the bus name, can I ask why you are charging $12/week? And then on top of that, you are offering a $3 discount if they commit for the summer. So front and back mowing, edging, trimming and blowing for 9 bucks. WOW!!! The name, as others have mentioned hurts this industry, but the lowballing aspect destroys us......

TexasFire221
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I could sub out all my yards to you for 12 bucks and get RICH!!!!!!!

duelly44
03-31-2008, 12:12 PM
i dont actually cut everyone for 12$ im not a moron. i only had two lawns that i cut for $12. one was a trailer lot. yeah laugh it up get-r-cut cutting in a trailer park. nice image. and the other was a ladies front yard. they both were an easy under 5 minute job.

and if your living in detroit youll understand why you might actually have to go as low as 12$ a lawn. everyone is a undercutter here and if other people are not doing it to you the customer sure as hell will try. anything to save a lowsy buck

appreciate the comments. Thats kinda the thoughts i was getting when I was passing out flyers... these people wont take me seriously.

its a heck of a winter name though

get-r-plowed

TexasFire221
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
To each their own but unless its my next door neighbor I dont unload my trailer for less than $35. As far as the flyers go, its still a bit early. I only have about 30% of my clients calling this year so far.

TexasFire221
03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
And I hate the name "weed wacker"

Indy Kyle
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Every time I hear that tired old saying get- r- done I cringe. I don't personally feel that a company name can help you much but they can certainly hurt you. This one is probably hurting you a little.

jdmcat
03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
$12/cut is not lowballing if that is the going rate in his area. There are several neighborhoods in my town where the lawns are only 2-3000 sq ft, in fact I live in one of them. If you guys think you can charge $35 to mow these lawns, go ahead and try it. My minimum is $15 and I can do up to 5 in an hour with a 21" no problem, mow, trim and blow. That doesn't mean I mow a half acre for $15, that's as crazy as mowing 2000 sq ft for $35.

BTW, I would use a different name, joke names make you sound like a fly-by-nighter and will probably keep you from getting some of those lawns that you want.

start2finish
03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
i dont actually cut everyone for 12$ im not a moron. i only had two lawns that i cut for $12. one was a trailer lot. yeah laugh it up get-r-cut cutting in a trailer park. nice image. and the other was a ladies front yard. they both were an easy under 5 minute job.

and if your living in detroit youll understand why you might actually have to go as low as 12$ a lawn. everyone is a undercutter here and if other people are not doing it to you the customer sure as hell will try. anything to save a lowsy buck

appreciate the comments. Thats kinda the thoughts i was getting when I was passing out flyers... these people wont take me seriously.

its a heck of a winter name though

get-r-plowed

this is the problem, it is not about what everybody else is charging. It is about what YOU need to charge to make a profit. If what you need to charge is higher than the others you need to make adjustments to your market and services. In infancy a business typically has less overhead that those of us in deeper than a decade.

MarcSmith
03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
this is the problem, it is not about what everybody else is charging. It is about what YOU need to charge to makeTrue, but if you live in a town with walmart tastes, you will not be able to sell a macy's product.....no matter how hard you try, unless you sell it for little or no profit.

Prices reflect what the market will bear.... but you also need to think about that you are doing 5 yards in an hour for 12 bucks a pop or 60 bucks....just think if you could do 2 lawns @ 30 bucks each... in the same amount of time...... 3 less invoices to send out each month, 3 less people to deal with while getting the same amount of money., people with larger yards tend to do extra's and spend more money on their lawn...

we all strive for that magical $60 per hour....Just don't give away your services...

J&R Landscaping
03-31-2008, 03:40 PM
From your flyer, it seems like your offering to many types of services. I try to keep it simple myself. Your flyer did have those pop-out thingys that seem like its crowded and hard to read. JMO

Tn Lawn Man
03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
I think I might change the name to something more respectable, something that connotes an air of wealth, glamour and sophistication.

I would suggest the name: Two Men and a Goat

Bo614
03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
I know im new to this site and this business. but ill tell you this. Like another guy said that the name dont matter but YES it does the name means more then anything else. Its a said fact that people base there opion of things on what they see or hear first. And the get-R-Cut comes off as a little redneck. Again im not trying to offend you or make you made and i dont want you to think i think this way because i dont. Infact i liek the name but as you know what I or you like dont matter. What matters is what your customers that pay your bills like. Think about it. If you are going after the right customers. witch i think is the middle-upper middle class folks that work hard and have alot of nice things but not alot of time. expecially to cut there grass. they will pay for your service and they are the type of people that care about imiage and it is everything to them. why do you think they buy expencive cars and life in over priced houses?? They are not gonna want some guys truck that says get-r-cut in front of there house..i mean what would there neighbors say...lol I would for sure change the name because i think personally its hurting you. i would go with a professionl name. I picked "all american lawn care & landscaping" its patriotic and people can relate to that. I passed out 1000 flyers 2 weeks ago and i have had a bunch of calls and actually have 36 signed contracts for this year so far. what i did was offer them if they pay up front i give a %20 discount... so alot opted to do that and since i take credit cards they paid that way.. so i havent touched a yard yet and have a little over 20k in the bank. i know i got off subject a little but the point is that you can be the most honest guy in the world if you named your business " ex-con lawn care" do you think people would call? hope this helps and again not trying to make you madd just trying to help!

ACA L&L
03-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey guy stiop lowballing and change the name to ___________ lawn service. Its that easy. Place an add in the clasifieds. drop your flyers. Its that simple.

GSPHUNTER
03-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Why do you think certain companies blow up and get huge and others fail? It is more about marketing and image than anything. Brickman, Valley Crest, Symmetry, U.S. Lawns, and many more are huge because they send out uniformed employees, have professional names, and know how to run a business. There are millions out there that can cut grass, but only a few thousand talented people can manage a succesful business. End of post.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
04-01-2008, 01:10 PM
I can see why people might not go with you based on your name. I am not trying to offend you, but it makes you come off as sort of a redneck, almost a fly by night. Some people may hire you just because of this, but more people will stay away from you because of it.

I would change the name to something more professional. We had a guy around here called Get R Done Lawncare for a few years, and more than one of my customers commented on it, making fun of it.

Again, I'm not trying to offend you, just sharing my honest opinion.

I agree with Lush, I am in the process of changing my name right now, when i started out as The Lawn Ranger....it fit me.....One guy going around mowing yards......Now im still just one guy but want to branch out to some nicer properties with a more "distinguished" or "noticable" name.....Ive had alot of good comments on my name and alot of bad ones too, that will happen with any business name though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Detroitdan
04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
so ive been in the business for coming up on my fifth year.... never had commercial accounts. had plans for partnership but fell through. had 40 accounts two years ago and now im around 20. people died, had some undercutters and i need to get back above 40.

If people are dying you are doing something wrong, very wrong. Can't just blame that on the name. From 40 to 20, are you saying you've killed off half of your clients? I'm surprised the police aren't hunting you.

The name is a little rednecky, okay by me but I can see where money folks might think it's cheesy. Think of something that sounds elegant and professional, even if you're just one guy with a rusty old truck I think it helps. That being said, my buddy has a really stupid name for his landscape company and he stays busier than I do. Granted, he does everything and knows what he is doing. I only cut grass, and I don't know what I'm doing. But I still think my name is better. Except that "Property Care" leads people to believe I do landscaping, when really all I want to do is mow.

Just try to stop doing whatever you are doing that is causing the deaths of all your clients. That's worse than a kitschy name. Try looking behind you before you back up, that's always a plus.

Safety first!

Have you ever thought of opening a mortuary?

mattfromNY
04-01-2008, 06:28 PM
That name... Get-er-changed!!
My lawn is masculin, not feminine, and no... you wont be mowin' HER!
JK- Not very professional in my opinion.

dekalb lawn man
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey everyone not to hijack this thread but I named my company Lawns Done Right. Is this a bad choice or should I stick to it and see what happens.

lawnwizards
04-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey everyone not to hijack this thread but I named my company Lawns Done Right. Is this a bad choice or should I stick to it and see what happens.

i hate it. how about Lawns Mowed Right?

coif_kid
04-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I just can't believe how long this thread has gone on....and on...

The name of your business doesn't matter, except when it brings your company disrepute through negative connotations. In other words, lawns done right or chris' lawn service or we mow it or similar names are fine.

That said, get r cut is total hillbilly or at least that is what is connotes. Like I said the name of your company doesn't matter, except when it really brings down your business.

flhntr
04-02-2008, 03:45 PM
i agree with lush, also i think you should narrow down your services your in to many places focus on one bussiness at a time .this way it looks like you will do anything for a buck.some times less is more

Military Lawns
04-02-2008, 03:59 PM
It may sound entertaining to some but, professionally speaking your name is corny. If, I was a potential customer I would have a hard time taking you serious. Now, like someone else said, a name should not stop you from making money. However, it may have some limitations.

DJ-

dekalb lawn man
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
It may sound entertaining to some but, professionally speaking your name is corny. If, I was a potential customer I would have a hard time taking you serious. Now, like someone else said, a name should not stop you from making money. However, it may have some limitations.

DJ-

Are you speaking of Get r Cut or Lawns Done Right. Thanks

GraZZmaZter
04-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I feel a name is the first impression a future client gets of you and i dont think this name is very appealing.

Not unless your going to show up with a sh1t truck, holy clothes and a dip of skoal in your lip...

Detroitdan
04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I feel a name is the first impression a future client gets of you and i dont think this name is very appealing.

Not unless your going to show up with a sh1t truck, holy clothes and a dip of skoal in your lip...

I always thought landscapers had to wear a certain uniform. What I always saw them wearing in my area is cut-off camo pants, a gimme shirt from a cigarette company, work boots and the ever-present bandanna tied over the head like a biker.
I resisted this at first, and tried to dress slightly better, so that I looked like a professional and not a criminal. But I will admit that I tried the bandanna thing, even though I despise them, only because I have very active sweat glands around my hairline, and it always runs in my eyes.
I'd like to get some shirts made up this year. Last year I happened to find some bright orange t-shirts at China-Mart so I picked some up and made them my unofficial uniform. So if I get some shirts made this year I'll probably go with bright orange. Even though I probably look like a highway worker. Bright lime safety green is nice too.

Grn Mtn
04-02-2008, 07:04 PM
yes, change the name, but something else has to be going on for you to lose over half your customers in such a short period. your always going to lose a few but you also should be gaining some.

lco's are never going to get a lot of respect, its just the nature of the beast, but if you want more business simplifly things, easy to remember name, just mow (you can do more but just advertise for mowing) keep your shirt on and things clean and as rust and dent free as possible.

YardPro
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
you have a long way to go........

first the name appeals to lower income middle class people that get into trailer park humor....sorry, but it is true

next $12.00/week????? that is a ridiculously low price you will NEVER have any decent business charging those prices

you list home repairs, drywall, etc..... It comes across more as a handyman thatn a landscaper. I have NEVER seen a successful landscape company perform those types of services....

instead of being OK at a lot of things, become great at a few things. this will get you further in business.

i have been in this business for 18 years and we now do just over $1M/year... so i have been around long enough to see that your pamphlet and name are killing your growth potential...

mikewhit1010
04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Im sure someone has said it before but you dont honestly cut anything for 12 do you. How can you be undercut. Also I peronally think the logo doesnt fit this industry. Also people want to feel safe. It sounds like a red neck or someone similar. Go with a name that everyone can say it doenst sound weird. Jo Blow says " Who do you get your lawn care from" reply " Ohh Get R Cut" That doenst sound very good. Hope that helps.

Detroitdan
04-02-2008, 07:32 PM
first the name appeals to lower income middle class people that get into trailer park humor....sorry, but it is trueand they arent the ones who pay to have their lawn mowed

next $12.00/week????? that is a ridiculously low price you will NEVER have any decent business charging those pricesI missed that the first time, but OMG, $12.00? I'd hire you to do all mine for $12.00, then sit back and make money off you

you list home repairs, drywall, etc..... It comes across more as a handyman thatn a landscaper. comes across kind of desperate for work too

instead of being OK at a lot of things, become great at a few things. this will get you further in business.Well said. I know because I suck at a lot of things

i have been in this business for 18 years and we now do just over $1M/year... holy cow that's a lot. My wife doesn't believe that there is money to be made at this. So I make $37k a year at my regular job and another $10-$15 from my sweat

Almost makes me wish I had stayed part-time at my full time job, and gone full time with my side business.

duelly44
07-25-2010, 11:41 PM
seems like forever since I posted that business name question. so last year I changed my name to restore america group, added on a business partner and started bidding them like I didnt need them.

Things actually went back up to 45 customers but I started slowly loosing customers and didnt know why. two customers one week, another this week etc. come to find out my business partner was doing cocaine/pills on job sites and pissing off my new customers.

got rid of him and changed it back to get r cut. HAHA I know. Now Im back down to 20 customers. This time by choice. I left the customers who want me to cut in the rain and than leave dirty voice mails for leaving tracks in their grass. and the customers who signed contracts stating a job was a set amount and tried to say it was lower once it comes time to pay. I'm doing three commercial accounts and 17 residential customers that are a breeze to cut and they like my name. I'm not looking to get rich off this anyways and I'm going to be me doing it. yes I am a bit redneck but I have nice equipment, a nice truck, wear cinta uniforms, take pride in my work and rarely seen without a chew in.

so what Ive learned... a name is something people take to heart when choosing a business. and don't do drugs :cool2:

Patriot Services
07-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Well at least you learned half a lesson. NO PARTNERS/INVESTORS/CO-OWNERS ever!! Repeat whenever this starts to sound like a good idea or a quick way to expand your business. Still don't like the name though. Tampa is full of the "Git R Dun ______" fill in the blank contractor types. Every one is a redneck, lowball, scammer, POS type of operation. Just my .02:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Glenn Lawn Care
07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I've seen worst!