PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Push Mower

J&J Customs
03-31-2008, 02:21 AM
im looking for a new push mower thats self propelled but ive never really looked into commercial push mowers whats the difference with a commercial grade push versus a husqvarna bought from sears?

kleankutslawn
03-31-2008, 07:04 AM
my guess will be quality

JimmyStew
03-31-2008, 07:50 AM
I've been looking into a commercial 21" for this season as well and from what I've seen, while there are many very well built homeowner models available, the largest difference in the commercial 21" are better engine (in many cases) which equates to a longer life and easier starting, thicker mowing decks, and overall more solid construction. Look where the handle connects to the mowing deck and where the wheels mount. These are places that will frequently break or bend on a homeowner model but seem much more solid on the commercial. In most cases the transmission is considerably more durable as well. Most of the features available on commercial models are available on homeowner models, but not built as tough. I was quite hesitant to spend 1k for a 21" as opposed to finding a decent homeowner model at 1/3 of the price, but after looking at the two, I am confident that the commercial will outlast the homeowner models long enough the recoup the price difference.

For the record, I'm going with a Honda HRC216HXA

lostmdboy
03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Quality quality. Comercial will last you for years to come. One thing I have found atleast for me ( I mow on the side of mountains a lot) Rear wheel drive is a must. Front wheel drives are pretty much useless.

hockeypro1411
03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
exmark makes a 27 inch push mower for about that price (i think on the price)

C&K
03-31-2008, 09:24 AM
I have the 21 husqvarna res model. It is a POS. We have used it one year. It doesn't cut good at all and where the wheels mount is weak. When you look at them just grab the handle and push some weight on the wheels, front and back and watch them flex. I told the dealer I would give it back to him. It isn't his fault but I was explaining to him how bad the design of that mower was. I have an old (9yrs) residential 21" yard machine that is ten times the mower today. If you are not going to buy commercial, buy the cheapest thing you can get so when you quit using it you won't be out of a lot of money.

If you are going to use the 21 at most properties that you mow I would seriously consider the snapper because of price for commercial quality. I believe you can get a good one starting around 700-800. Or if you want to spend 1200-1500 look at the exmarks etc. I have no experience with these models but based on my research that is what I will do next time.

larryinalabama
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Snapper all the way, get the Robin engine if you still can.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Sears has a new 21" commercial with the 6 horse kawa that comes on exmarks, toros, snappers, etc. It looks pretty damn good for $500.

cgaengineer
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
I have the 21 husqvarna res model. It is a POS. We have used it one year. It doesn't cut good at all and where the wheels mount is weak. When you look at them just grab the handle and push some weight on the wheels, front and back and watch them flex. I told the dealer I would give it back to him. It isn't his fault but I was explaining to him how bad the design of that mower was. I have an old (9yrs) residential 21" yard machine that is ten times the mower today. If you are not going to buy commercial, buy the cheapest thing you can get so when you quit using it you won't be out of a lot of money.

If you are going to use the 21 at most properties that you mow I would seriously consider the snapper because of price for commercial quality. I believe you can get a good one starting around 700-800. Or if you want to spend 1200-1500 look at the exmarks etc. I have no experience with these models but based on my research that is what I will do next time.

The Snapper HiVac is a good choice for a homeowner...and me as well...I love mine.

JimmyStew
03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
If you are not going to buy commercial, buy the cheapest thing you can get so when you quit using it you won't be out of a lot of money.

Well said! I have a cheapie $99 mower that I use on one of my accounts to mow the roadside ditch. The wheels fall off the mower long before the engine even sputters and it is by no means a quality engine on that thing. I replaced it last year (price jumped to $129, yikes) and didn't feel at all bad about it. If I had spent more money, say $200 - $400 where the average residential mower is priced, I would push that mower as long as I could before replacing. This way, if I get two seasons:dancing:

J&J Customs
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
yeah ive looked at those craftsman commercial mowers but i dont know about those things i have the residential hi vac model with the rear wheel drive and that thing is useless every little part has broken on it from the wheel to the throttle link for the self propelled part and i just cant afford sears parts it takes 3 weeks for them to get a part in and i can have that kind of down time but ill look into the hondas and even that snapper what model do you recommend for the snappers? which engine do you guys perfer kawis or hondas?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
A lot of opinions, always, on this topic.

Ask yourself, "What am I using this small 21" mower for?"
Everyday, constant use, go full commercial like the Toro Proline.
Anything less, don't waste your $1,200. Can get the PT Trim Mower or even the SR4 Super Recycler from Toro for $500-$750 and it should last you for many years.

larryinalabama
03-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Well said! I have a cheapie $99 mower that I use on one of my accounts to mow the roadside ditch. The wheels fall off the mower long before the engine even sputters and it is by no means a quality engine on that thing. I replaced it last year (price jumped to $129, yikes) and didn't feel at all bad about it. If I had spent more money, say $200 - $400 where the average residential mower is priced, I would push that mower as long as I could before replacing. This way, if I get two seasons:dancing:

I have done that for years, those small engines will stall if you hit something without bending the crank.
This year I steped up to a 13hp Brush mower, still waiting for delivery but I think it will be alot faster.

J&J Customs
03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
itll be for those yards that are full of obsticles or even for the people that like that look that a push mower gives and all i do is mostly bag and mostly mow zoysia and bermuda thought that might help so i tossed that in as well

ucfbrian
03-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Husqvarna has a new commercial 21" push mower with the Kawasaki engine on it for around $900-1100. It has cast aluminum wheels, rubber tires, 3 speed gear box. It is built and designed for a commercial guy.

lawnboy dan
03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
you get what you pay for -pure and simple

yungman
03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
I would like to get a lower end mower that is bigger than 21", any suggestions? How much do I expect to pay?

lsu03
03-31-2008, 05:15 PM
get a quick 32. about what $2300????

Valk
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
The least expensive BOP Quickie 32 is $1,995.

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=Products&SubCategoryID=3

J&J Customs
04-01-2008, 02:38 AM
low end craftsman has a 33" wide area walk behind cuts like crap though saw a person mowing with one yesterday

j05h22
04-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Keep in mind Lowes and Home Depot have very laid back return policies... If you dont wanna fork over $1000+ for a 21" mower, spend 300-500 and now if it breaks within a year (or more, I know b/c I work at Home Depot) take it back. Not saying I condone unethical business, but it's Home Depot's policy so take advantage of it.

lsu03
04-01-2008, 08:17 AM
cub cadet has a 33 at HD for $1300.

Valk
04-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Looks like that CC would rut with those skinny tires on the back...is it wet much there in your area? Worth considering, IMO.

Triplex
01-04-2009, 09:50 PM
At a golf course I worked on, I was surprised to find that they used ordinary cheapo consumer push-mowers (Bolens/MTD and Murray) instead of commercial ones. Nothing else they used was consumer grade except for the push mowers. The cheap mowers took a surprising amount of punishment, and I suspect that you might be better off buying one for $200 and using it until it dies instead of paying $1000 for a commercial unit. They got used pretty heavily too; that course had a large crew and push-mowed a lot of areas that could have been done with riding machines. Another course I worked on had some commercial-grade John Deere push mowers and only used them once a week to cut the grass around the clubhouse; they'll probably last 40 years that way.

SILVERSTREAK INC
01-05-2009, 04:41 AM
yeah right HD sucks, bought a echo srm210 there and the shaft broke inside, being it was over 60 days they wanted a 50 dollar deposit and up to 4 weeks for turn around time on fixing it i said screw that and left

N.TX
01-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I would look at toro commercial...the 21" prolines i have have outlasted any other 21" I have ever bought.

TomberLawn
01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Looks like that CC would rut with those skinny tires on the back...is it wet much there in your area? Worth considering, IMO.

The mower is pretty light, so the small tired don't rut. The 33" is actually a pretty decent mower. I bought one a year ago and have no complaints. It's done what I expected it to do. Sure, it's not quite as comfortable to use as a hydro, but for half the price of even a Quick, it cuts pretty good, mulches well, and increases productivity considerably on yards that were border line--a zero turn would "fit" in the yard, but might be kind of heavy and hard to maneuver, so I'd been cutting them with a 21".

The dealer I bought the mower from said he had sold a bunch of these mowers, many of them to professionals. He had one guy who only ran 3 of these machines and nothing else.

RLS24
01-05-2009, 02:51 PM
if you're gonna be using it everyday, then spend the money. no doubt about it. if its something that you will use on a couple properties that a residential grade could prob get by, then do what I did: find an old Commercial 21" (mine happens to be a Bobcat) for <$100 that maybe has a beat motor (mine was $50, beat motor), spend $300 or so on a new high quality motor (Honda), throw a coat of paint on it and for about the same cost of a brand new residential grade 21" you have a nicely refurbished Commercial grade unit that will prob outlast the residential grade one.

meathead1134
01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I was at the husky dealer and was told by them that they are expecting a new 21 with a honda motor and variable speed to come out in the spring. I am in the market also so I will be looking at this maybe be something to look at

Triplex
01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
if you're gonna be using it everyday, then spend the money. no doubt about it. if its something that you will use on a couple properties that a residential grade could prob get by, then do what I did: find an old Commercial 21" (mine happens to be a Bobcat) for <$100 that maybe has a beat motor (mine was $50, beat motor), spend $300 or so on a new high quality motor (Honda), throw a coat of paint on it and for about the same cost of a brand new residential grade 21" you have a nicely refurbished Commercial grade unit that will prob outlast the residential grade one.

I might try that sometime; a few dealers around me have a mess of dead equipment laying around to pull parts off of, and would probably be willing to part with a dead commercial 21" for cheap.

bighaydenslawn
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
If you don't need a $1k 21" I guess you could look at the 21" Troy-Built 3-1 Self Propelled at Lowe's. Goes for around $300. Looks pretty strong to me. I like the old old old LawnBoys, I have heard the new ones aren't good at all.

Triplex
01-11-2009, 11:56 PM
If money is tight, or if you've got a small number of yards, the push mower is probably the easiest thing to skimp on. A crappy mower will break a lot sooner than a good one, but won't make it hard to get the job done like a little curved shaft homeowner weedwacker or wimpy blower will.

Homeowner mowers seem to last longer under commercial use than homeowner 2-stroke equipment would. I'd be very surprised if a homeowner trimmer was still alive after a full month on a golf course, but the cheapo mowers seemed to live a couple of seasons under those conditions.

freshprince94
01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
The commercial grade will have a better built deck, maybe BBC, a better cut, and will last a lot longer.

CGlisson
01-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Quality quality. Comercial will last you for years to come. One thing I have found atleast for me ( I mow on the side of mountains a lot) Rear wheel drive is a must. Front wheel drives are pretty much useless.

This man speaks wisdom.