PDA

View Full Version : marketing scope

Mike M
03-31-2008, 08:04 AM
I've been trying to target small territories with postcards, so I can afford multiple mailings/frequency and individualized high quality cards.

But now I'm thinking of increasing my numbers. RSVP did a nice job with my last card, and it was quite the bang for the buck. Now I'm thinking of going into the neighboring region. That would take me from 25k to about 50k homes, all upscale.

I would like to do what Chris does, pick a direct mail biz, and schedule routine mass mailings, but I'm already building up credit card debt and need to catch up with myself. RSVP seems most economical at this point.

Warning: I got tons of bad blotches on my full-color quantummail orders, last two mailings, smack in the middle of the front. How do I know it was tons? All the returns from the bad addresses. This happended on completely different photo/post cards, about 3 months apart. I will never use them again. I don't mind the bad adresses, but those blotches defeat the full color pic with UV coat I pay a premium for.

Lite4
03-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Mike,
How was the response to your RSVP mailings?

Mike M
03-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Tim;

From the RSVP--I have a consultation tonight and a demo tomorrow. I also just got off the phone with a guy who was worried about the price.

The install I have this week is from my own mailing, and I have a possible commercial job in the works from the mag ad.

extlights
03-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Mike just a few things to remember with direct mail. The number one golden rule of direct marketing is repetition....typically they say that someone needs to see your card/advertisement 3 times before they call. Now, with your numbers you said you can reach 50K upscale homes which is great..unless your budget won't permit you to send out 150K cards. You might want to try and increase the home value and try and bring that number down, that way you're getting your cards out to maybe more qualified customers plus you will be able to hit these people multiple times.

You can pick zip codes and alternate the mailings (which we do). We'll pick 10-12 different zip codes and every 2 weeks we send out 3,000 to maybe 3 zip codes, then 2 weeks later we'll send 3,000 to 3 different zipcodes etc...We'll do this April through June...nothing in July and part of August and then start doing it again at the end of August through October.

The key is hitting your target customers. You can send out 100,000 mailers, but if they don't go to the right people you're just wasting time and money. If done correctly, direct mail can make a business grow twofold....but if done incorrectly it will surely hurt the pocketbook.