PDA

View Full Version : Okay

Mike M
03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Okay. :)

I learned to start everything with okay, since that's what the Apple computer support people do, no matter what kind of problem I am facing.

In SC, we don't need a license for LV. In GA, 20 minutes away from me, I need the LV license. Thus opening a whole can of worms for me. I hate state governments. I will have to wait several months for the next test, plus, they make me take it in Atlanta, 5 hours away. I retired from teaching because of the insanity of paperwork and regulations and redundant, ineffective, careless authority. I hate bureaucrats, I hate lines, I hate long PDF downloads, I hate the way they sneeze and cough into the phone when you call them.

So, I was thinking: I buy a bunch of that stuff Tommy wears, and I sneak across the border during the late evening, providing low voltage lighting, football "bingo" cards, and duty-free booze and cigarettes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the "idea" of an lv license. I hate the state execution of it.

JoeyD
03-31-2008, 10:36 AM
okay..

had to do it

Mike M
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Okay, Mike's bored.

I have two demo's this week and an install. But nuttin today.

JoeyD
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Okay........

NightScenes
03-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Okay Mike, if you're planning on getting a license in GA, you might want to talk to Chris J. He's taken the test and could probably give you some insight, Okay?

The Lighting Geek
03-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Okay,

I believe that contractor licenses give you options and it adds to your credibility. I have found that the higher the income, the more they want to know you are legit. A contractors license is a start. Here in CA we are required to have one. I am a Landscape contractor which covers LV lighting, there is a LV license here as well. I am filing for my electricians license because I have a need for one. It won't hurt my credibility any to have 2 licenses. It also allows us here in CA to file mechanic liens for unpaid contracts. Without a license, you are out of luck in CA.

Pro-Scapes
04-01-2008, 01:00 AM
I wish we had more regulation here. I think there should definatly be a LV license in all states but you should not need the full electricians lics.

I see so many jobs hacked in or unsafe its not even funny. Transformers screwed to trees... well lights buried in pinestraw beds with no lenses on them. Overloaded wires. Overlamped fixtures. Im sure you guys have seen it.

irrig8r
04-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Okay,

I believe that contractor licenses give you options and it adds to your credibility. I have found that the higher the income, the more they want to know you are legit. A contractors license is a start. Here in CA we are required to have one. I am a Landscape contractor which covers LV lighting, there is a LV license here as well. I am filing for my electricians license because I have a need for one. It won't hurt my credibility any to have 2 licenses. It also allows us here in CA to file mechanic liens for unpaid contracts. Without a license, you are out of luck in CA.

Tommy, how do you obtain a CA electrician/ electrical contractor license w/o going thru an apprenticeship program? Are you hoping to include self-employed experience?

http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECU/EleCat.html#1

The Lighting Geek
04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
i am using my extensive self employed experience along with verification by licensed electricians. I believe the apprenticeship program you linked to is for employees working for a c-10 contractor.

David Gretzmier
04-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Okay, I also have varied, extensive self-employment experience. I also work with, are friends with and hire alot of electricians, but here in Arkansas, to get a Journeyman electricians license, you have to:A have a job working for an electrician as an assistant before you can B-go to school and maintain a 3.0 average for 24 months at a technical college, 5 nights a week for spring summer,fall,winter. then C-be an apprentice for 3 years following working for various master electricians, and THEN, after 5 years of certified experience and 8 concurrent semesters of tech school, you get to D- take the journeyman's electrician's test at the capital of our wonderful state.

EVEN IF YOU PASS, you still are not a master electrician. you cannot: pull a permit ( to wire a new home), write electrial wiring designs of new homes, set meters, install commercial breaker boxes, and various other things that only master electricians do, without a master electrician signing off on your work. If however, you continue to be a full time journeyman for 5 plus more years, you can then take the Master electrians test. many do not pass the first time.

In Arkansas, when you hire an electrician, you at least know that guy had to jump through a few hoops for a few years to be called one. most folks ask for a master electrician so you know he has 10 years under his belt. okay?

seolatlanta
04-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Hey Mike

i think since your business is based in SC you probably dont need the LV license here in Georgia. But I could be wrong ... chris J prolly knows as he holds both.

Seriously I passed the test and it was VERY difficult and it had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with lighting of any sort. Seriously one question was about how far apart guide wires had to be placed from light poles , how alarms worked , etc.

Chris J
04-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, and you better know how to depreciate a truck if you want to pass the GA test as well....what a joke! You will need the GA license if you plan to work in Ga. I don't know if SC requires a license, but if they do it is sometimes easier to get the Ga license first and then have it transferred to SC. Getting a license is a big pain in the rear, especially in FL. You have to provide everything from financial records, tax records, minimum working capital, etc, etc... You'll be jumping through hoops for months. There are people who can do all this jumping for you, however. I have some contacts, but I don't know if they are any good outside of Florida. Let me know if you want any info.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Chris, do you know how one would go about obtaining the appropriate licenses in Florida for a new upstart operation? Would it be a matter of submitting a business plan, given that there would be no historical records.

Thanks.

Chris J
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Dude, you are going to be up a long creek without a paddle. I'll look up some phone numbers for you and PM you with the info. You will have one hell of a time getting a license here being from Canada. Expect to spent at least $1k just in long distance phone calls and waiting on hold!

Mike M
04-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Okay,

Dave and Chris reflect open what I saw: an unbelievably stupid list of topics. But what about location, too? Is it true I have to take it in Atlanta?

By the way, on my last consult, the couple had an EC put in line voltage... plastic pagodas, two of which were in the middle of the lawn.

They can make us test like crazy, but it won't ensure good or even sensible designs, or non-corroding materials.

seolatlanta
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I think Atlanta is the only place. You can check online with the Ga sec of State and see if they have tests in Macon or Savannah.

Please understand that design, installation, or anything important to us is not on the test. Not even voltage drop if I remember correctly.

Chris J
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
You don't have to take the test in GA. South Carolina (if they require it) will have their own test. The only reason I have both is because I live so close to the boarder and I do business in both states. It was just a much simpler process for me to get the Ga license first, and the FL second. SC might be a walk in the park, but I don't know.
I probably need to go back and read this entire post to make sure I understand what you are asking?

irrig8r
04-03-2008, 03:26 AM
You don't have to take the test in GA. South Carolina (if they require it) will have their own test. The only reason I have both is because I live so close to the boarder and I do business in both states. It was just a much simpler process for me to get the Ga license first, and the FL second. SC might be a walk in the park, but I don't know.
I probably need to go back and read this entire post to make sure I understand what you are asking?

So, they don't have reciprocal licensing down your way?

Chris J
04-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure I follow what you mean, but if you're asking if I can use my FL license in Ga the answer is no.

irrig8r
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
What I mean is that here in California, the state has reciprocal agreements with other states that make it easier for me to get a license in Arizona for instance if I felt like I might want to enter that market. It basically means they count your experience and waive some of the testing requirements...

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Applicants/reciprocity/reciprocity-overview.asp

Seems like a good program to me, though I don't know why they don't seem to have one with Oregon...

Mike M
04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
SC does not require a license.

I wish they did, but, only if it was low voltage stuff and not workers comp and truck financing.

The GA test looks really stupid, and reminds me of why I retired from teaching. Just thank God that we are not regulated by multiple agencies (fed, state, county) the way education is. Bush 's "no child left behind" was as good one. Reminds me of Nancy Reagan's "just say no to drugs."

Chris J
04-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Gregg,
That's correct. This is why I got the Ga license first. After I had the Ga license, I just transferred over to FL with no problems and no re-testing. It was a much simpler process than to do it in reverse order.

Mike M
04-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Chris, did you go to Atlanta for the test?

Chris J
04-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Yep.......

Mike M
04-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Did you go to that big aquarium? Where did you eat? Did they coincide testing dates with Braves home games?