PDA

View Full Version : Fix deck or Floating

TheBigGW
03-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry to ask but i have always used a fixed deck. I am thinking of purchasing a new mower and I was curious on a floating deck. I was wondering what everyone who has used both kinds can give there input on both kind pros and cons please. So before i spend the money on the floating please let me know about the 2 thanks for yout input....

jaybird24
03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Floating you can adjust the cut height of the deck and it has anti-scalp wheels. Floating is usually heavier making it harder to lift it over curbs and such. Generally we like fixed decks under 48" and floating 48" and above, just our preference though. Less maintenace on a fixed deck also.

Roger
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
I would agree generally with jaybird. I don't have much experience, but have a 36" fixed deck on a w/b, and a 48" floating deck on a ZTR. I can get into bigger trouble with scalping on the 48" floating deck, than with the 36" fixed deck.

I think other threads on this topic over the years bear out this finding. The wider the deck, the more important the floating feature becomes.

markahurley
03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
floating deck means adjustable deck height (critical if you mow different grasses), as well as a more even cut--this will be much better for the grass, and will reduce your chance of scalping places as well. having used both, i would strongly recommend the floating deck--it is well worth the money.

Roger
03-31-2008, 01:45 PM
floating deck means adjustable deck height (critical if you mow different grasses), as well as a more even cut--.....

This statement implies that fixed decks do not have a height adjustment. Such is not the case -- I adjust my fixed deck often daily, sometimes more than one time over the course of one property. There are two ways to make adjustments, adjustments that can be made with caster washers, and blade bolt washers.

ALC-GregH
03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't think he meant the fixed decks can't BE adjusted but that it takes alot more time to adjust.

TheBigGW
03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Correct I understand what a "fixed" deck is. I just want peoples opinions on the floating decks. ex. is floating better then fixed. the pros are and the cons are. Do you think that it cuts better?... All i want to know is people's opinions. thats it thanks again...

kjslawn
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Love the floating deck on a 36 It really dont matter. 48 I perfer it. On any thing bigger It is a must for me

TheBigGW
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Why do you love it.... I would really love to hear the reasons why everyone likes them. And if people dont like them or had bad times with either. Then add a post let me know about it please dont just say you love them or they are a must.....I want to know what makes you like them better then the other......

kjslawn
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
They contour the groung better. When going around a tree ring it does'nt scalp the low side. you can adjust the height easier faster. the front end is heavier which means a better ride not as much bouncing around.

TheBigGW
03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
thanks for the input....

TheBigGW
04-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks any other people have any input on this thanks

hackitdown
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
1. The major feature of a floating deck is less scalping. Scalping problems increase as deck size gets bigger. The floating decks have the small anti scalp wheels fixed to bottom of the deck which protect the lawn. This will give way better results on uneven terrain. Less scalping, and nicer looking finish.

2. Cutting height. Usually, on a floating deck machine, the deck can be raised or lowered with a lever and a pin, where fixed decks often require loosening bolts and removing washers to adjust height. However, some new fixed deck machines are easier.

Fixed deck machines cost less, are lighter, and have fewer grease points. I have found that by the time you price out a floating deck, hydrostatic WB with a sulky, you could almost be into a ZTR or a stander, price-wise.

The only WB I have owned was a Gravely 48" fixed deck, it had a quick deck height adjustment. I never had any complaints about scalping.

TheBigGW
04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks i myself have 2 48 inch WB that are fixed decks they are nice... But i am getting either a stander or a great dane. The great dane would be a floating deck and a 52" so i am leaning towards that i appreciate EVERYONES comments keep them coming thanks again

hackitdown
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks i myself have 2 48 inch WB that are fixed decks they are nice... But i am getting either a stander or a great dane. The great dane would be a floating deck and a 52" so i am leaning towards that i appreciate EVERYONES comments keep them coming thanks again

I bought the 48" Great Dane Super Surfer last summer (I wanted the floating deck).

TheBigGW
04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
How do you like the great dane i have been checking them out and i am leaning towards them over the wright stander......

hackitdown
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
It was a lot cheaper than the Wright. I bought it as a secondary machine to a 52" ZTR. It works well, my only complaint is that it handles wierdly when you are circling a tight obstacle. The back tires tend to run in a tighter circle than the cutting deck, so they sometimes bump into things that the deck missed. I tend to focus my attention on the edge of the deck in tight quarters, and I get surprised when the rear tire hits something.

I have the 48, I think the 52 uses the same machine, but with the bigger deck. Maybe the bigger 52" deck will not do this.

dishboy
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
IMO the greatest advantage to a floating deck is that deck pitch can be dialed in for the best cut and then is not altered with height changes. Change the pitch or raise the blades and cut quality degrades. Very important especially when mulching where cut quality is harder to maintain .