PDA

View Full Version : old boss lowballing my accts

bob the king
03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
several years ago I worked for a large maint co. I left to start on my own. I was basically in charge of the maintenance crews. I did not make 1 phone call on there accts and even refused to do business with their customers who searched me out and asked me to take their accounts. I did this out of respect for my former boss and my own ethics. Here's the kicker: I now have a growing successful business and my previous employer is low balling my accounts!! havn't lost one yet because many of my accounts are not awarded based solely on price but I have missed out on new work. What to do?

anthonyslandscaping
03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Keep doing what you are doing. If he wants to low ball let him. They will see what poor quality looks like.

If the customer is looking for the lowest price then you will never win him/her over with service and quality craftsmanship. Cut the grass this week, and next week find out he wants a patio, he will be going with the lowest bid again. You end up wasting a lot of time and money.
Stay with the customers you have developed relationships with over the years. They will tell their neighbors and friends about you and when they see waht they don't get by saving buck or two you will get the call.

When everyone starts low-balling, nobody wins.

ed2hess
03-31-2008, 04:22 PM
So he has lowered the prices below what they were when you worked for him?

bob the king
03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
yes his prices are lower, I didnt tell the whole story. He since sold out to a national co. and now his noncompete is up he has partnered up with anther LCO. Anthony your right I need to just ignore him, he is just 1 of many lowballers out there. It just erks me. I tried to do to right thing and this is how it comes around. I think he is targeting my customers.

kleankutslawn
03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
keep your head up & keep on doing what you do

bill8379
03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
He has the right to advertise to the general public any price he wants. I think you're complaining for nothing. But you might be wise to be worried about aggressive competition because it sounds like he knows what he's doing.

bob the king
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
he may "know what he is doing" these are not resi accts. I feel he is sacrificing profit in order to try and damage my business. he has said "I'm gonna take all your business" well I'm not to worried it just dont seem right. I guess everyone meets their maker sooner or later

bill8379
03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
he has said "I'm gonna take all your business"

Well that's a different story, now I'm on your side.:laugh:

ALC-GregH
03-31-2008, 05:29 PM
I know it's low but, maybe look into HIS accounts and try to get as many as possible. He'll get the drift to leave you alone when he lost 1/2 his business.

Restrorob
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
I know it's low but, maybe look into HIS accounts and try to get as many as possible. He'll get the drift to leave you alone when he lost 1/2 his business.

Now that's a good idea, Especially since all his customers already know what kind of work you do.....

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM

A pissing match? That's a big can of worms to open... What's more important: running your business or seeking revenge?

bob the king
03-31-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm not gong to get in to a pissing match. I just needed to vent i guess. Any one have a similar story?

shovelracer
03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
I wouldnt sweat it. Let him lowball. I got into a multi million dollar neighbor hood 3 years ago. I have been waiting for more work to come along, I have always been friendly with the neighbors, but I have always been one of the higher prices in there. There has been a guy running around there snatching up accounts left and right from the other companies with their "cant beat this" pricing. Workmanship is mediocre at best. My only client in this area has held his ground and been a very good client of mine. This other "company" is a self proclaimed INC. Well they dont have their registration, and illegally apply pesticide. Last year they threatened one of their clients telling them they were gonna shoot out their windows if they didnt pay. They lost all 5 accounts in the area. Today I heard that they went out of business. I also got a call from one of their clients. They and all 4 neighbors are looking for a new company and it is down to us and the only other guy left. So letting your ex-boss run your competition out of the area isnt a bad thing. You just need to be there when he goes bust. :)

ABeautifulCutAboveInc.
03-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Same crap here in FL. The guys who cut your throat with cheap prices are actually cutting their own! As a business owner, you have to change with the economy, especially that our kind of business revolves around fuel. With the stagflation economy the u.s.a is in, by spring of 2009, those lowballers will be flipping burgers at the golden arch!

ACA L&L
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Jealousy comes in all shapes and sizes. Worry about the things you can control. You cannot control what your old boss does. KISS//// Keep It Simple S-----. I live by this phrase and it works on everything except my kids. haha

lifetree
03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Keep doing what you are doing. ... When everyone starts low-balling, nobody wins.

Yes, just continue on your own course and path and everything will work out !!

ed2hess
03-31-2008, 09:18 PM
What your old boss is trying to do is build another business and sell it for a profit. The important thing is getting the client base built up first then next get them under contract then he can sell. In the meantime he runs off some of the money he made on his first sale.He apparently already did it once and he is dong it again. This kind of thing is happening in our area. Unless I totally misunderstood the thread.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
03-31-2008, 09:38 PM
I have to agree with EdHess it sounds like he's a business builder then sells off the accounts,to make a profit.This is why I never purchase accounts from anyone, customers will be calling when the grass is high. You think customers are going to wait till a current LCO sells the account to another LCO to get cut .

bob the king
04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
makes complete sense. some people only see dollars and some take pride in a job well done, a pleased customer and giving guys a career they can be proud of.

shovelracer
04-01-2008, 07:36 AM
I dont approve of the selling accounts thing. It gives a bad name to everyone. I dont have a problem with Jonny Old Guy selling the whole operation after 40 years, but these guys that build up more than they can handle only to sell their bottom end for profit is wrong. Be a man and tell the people their beat and they need to find someone else. In the end their gonna be mad at you the same.

roadrage16
04-01-2008, 10:09 AM
It’s all fun and games ‘till someone gets their eye poked out. Just try to be on the poking end of the stick.

MassSteelerfan
04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey bob, don't sweat him. When people talk the way he is to you, i.e. i'm going to take all your accounts,they fear you. It's the guy that says nothing and acts professional, like yourself, you have to worry about, and that is why he is acting this way. To end my post don't forget, "What goes around comes around", and his day will come.