PDA

View Full Version : Whatshould a newbie bid for this mulch job...?

biggreenlawncare
03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
I literally got my insurance and business in license within the last week and I've already got an opportunity for a pretty large job (for a one man operation like mine). A guy wants me to mulch his flower beds for him. No weeding, no edging. He's having the material delivered, I'm there solely for the labor. It is 20 yards of mulch (!) and I'll be using just a shovel and wheel barrow.

All I've done to this point is mowing, trimming, and aeration.

As long as I don't bid ridiculously I'm pretty much guaranteed this job just because of how I know the guy.

Advice?

All I can think of at this point is that with mowing/trimming I usually charge $30/hour. I know it's low but I'm a full time college student and started this just for the love of landscaping. A month later here I am!

All input is much appreciated!

Lawn-Sharks
03-31-2008, 09:40 PM
If your bidding low just to get the work i wouldn't go lower then $35hr.
..But to each is own

biggreenlawncare
03-31-2008, 09:45 PM
He said he anticipates it taking 12-16 hours. How he arrived at that I have no idea. My thinking is that a big company would charge him from $60-100 per yard which would be $1200-2000 all said and done. So if charge him $40 per yard, I should def. get the job and be able to make a nice chunk of change seeing my own costs are the $5 dollars in gas it'll cost me to get there.

I've found the worst part of being new in this business is always feeling the urge to underbid JUST so I get the job. Sometimes I find myself barely breaking even. The more I learn/read/think about it, all low bidding does is kills the whole industry.Anyhow, thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

Lawn-Sharks
03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
20yard would take me maybe 10hrs by myself going at a good relaxed pace.

biggreenlawncare
03-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Lawn-Sharks, if you don't mind me asking, who did your website? And around how much did/do you pay for it? I really like the layout on yours. Simple yet very informative.

J&R Landscaping
03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
How open is the area your applying it to? How far will it be dumped compared to where the beds are? How full is the bed with plants? On a normal to moderately filled bed, I can generally spread 1 yard in about 35-40 minutes by myself. This year, I hope to get done fast because I'm getting a larger capacity wheel barrow which will mean fewer trips!

kjslawn
03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
500 cash for me

Green Pastures
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
$600 but I'd take a check. :usflag:

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Id say $650m depending on how far it is you have to go with the wheelbarrow.

merrimacmill
04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Id say $650m depending on how far it is you have to go with the wheelbarrow.

Are these prices just for labor? Cause that seems pretty cheap at 32.5 a yard for labor and material...

Lawn-Sharks
04-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Lawn-Sharks, if you don't mind me asking, who did your website? And around how much did/do you pay for it? I really like the layout on yours. Simple yet very informative.

Hey dont mind at all. I did my own website.I designed it with the tools that it came with and got it up and running but then one of our members on lawn site (Raven386) scoped it out and had some very good advise and sent me some info and pointed me in a strait line and his guidence really helped my tweek it in the rite direction..As for the cost it's very affordable the .com name was $2 for the first year which even if you aint going to use it aleast you own the rites to the name so buy it while you can. And then i needed a WebHost and yahoo's services were cheap only like $101 a year but you pay for the first 3months up front..If their anything i can help you with just let me know or message Raven386 he's a really cool dude and im sure he wouldnt mind helping you too..Just let people know what your plans are before you do them because people in here can get you good deals on that stuff....Keep checking my site it's always changing

biggreenlawncare
04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I think I'm going to bid $500. If it takes 12 hours that's a little over $40 an hour. For my first "big" landscaping job, that works for me. I'm trying to bid in that area where it's not too low (so I don't make money), or too high (where I lose out on the job altogether).

Suggestions?

BTW, thanks for the website info Lawnsharks.

I was born and raised in Tampa but can't say I ever ventured into Titusville.

OUTLANDER
04-01-2008, 09:24 PM
$600,and get a helper