PDA

View Full Version : fertilizing Pricing

evergreenmike
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
how does everyone charge for fertilizing a lawn by the hr, square ft? I was thinking about charging what I mow plus 25% markup on fertilizer need your thoughts

MowHouston
03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
how does everyone charge for fertilizing a lawn by the hr, square ft? I was thinking about charging what I mow plus 25% markup on fertilizer need your thoughts

I'm pretty new to this too but what I have done is tack on a bit extra for the materials then charge a labor rate that is a bit less than my mowing rate (since I'm not using up fuel to fert). Seems to be doing alright so far.

Whitey4
03-31-2008, 11:47 PM

In your area, similar to mine economically, you should be looking at $12/k, minimum of $36 for small properties. So, 3k of turf should be $36 to $40, 4k of turf around $48 to $52, then discount additional square footages somewhat. I don't have anything over 4k, so I can't really comment on how much cheaper more square footage should be over 4k.

That said, use quality ferts. Cost can run from $1.50 per k to almost $2.50 per k, depending on what you use and your volume. Charging by the hour is not even in my calculations, given my small property sizes... it's all based on sq footage, what the big nationals like Scotts and Tru-Green charge. The LCO's in my area seem to prefer a set price of $40 for anything from 2k to 5k. They price lime the same way.

MowHouston
04-01-2008, 12:13 AM
In your area, similar to mine economically, you should be looking at $12/k, minimum of $36 for small properties. So, 3k of turf should be $36 to $40, 4k of turf around $48 to $52, then discount additional square footages somewhat. I don't have anything over 4k, so I can't really comment on how much cheaper more square footage should be over 4k.

That said, use quality ferts. Cost can run from $1.50 per k to almost $2.50 per k, depending on what you use and your volume. Charging by the hour is not even in my calculations, given my small property sizes... it's all based on sq footage, what the big nationals like Scotts and Tru-Green charge. The LCO's in my area seem to prefer a set price of $40 for anything from 2k to 5k. They price lime the same way.

I've kinda been doing 5ks at $40 but for weed and feeds. I wonder if I should be charging more.