PDA

View Full Version : If you had $1000 to spend at Home Depot, what would you buy...?

biggreenlawncare
03-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Assume you're starting at ground zero.

My current inventory consists of:
Push Mower
Trimmer
Basic Hand Tools

I have a little Toyota Tacoma that I haul everything around in.

Pretty awesome,huh?

I'm already getting massive amounts of work opportunities and my head is spinning right now. I never anticipated getting this quantity of work this quick!

So I applied for a Credit Card at Home Dept and was approved for $1,000.

So what would you get for the "Bare Essentials". I really hope to grow my business into a successful one. I've even changed my college major to Landscape Design!

P.Services
03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
i would go to john deere and get a card there instead, then you can get some ok equipment from whips to blowers to mowers. they are a big enough company that they approve about every one. nothing from home chepo belongs on a commercial crew.

GravelyGuy
03-31-2008, 09:39 PM
The Echo stuff at HD should be good for you to start with. You should be able to finish getting any hand tools you may need there as well. Just stay away from any of the Poulan, Homelite, etc.

nautica1580
03-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Home Depot is were I get all my weedeaters,edgers, blowers, trimmers, etc. Home Depot is the only major store that carries ECHO, its usually alot cheaper than your local lawnshop. Get a Trimmer SRM2100 $199.99, 413H backpack blower 299.99, and a SRM2100 edger 199.99. Start saving on the side and get a used hydro walkbehind with a sulky. This is a nice setup for someone just starting and very decent equimpment. Let me add, all those ECHO products have a 2 year warranty. Go to Ebay.com and type in Home Depot coupons and you can buy a 20% off coupon for like 5 bucks. It makes a good deal even sweeter. Good Luck and if you have any questions, ask away.

Tim

Push Mower
Trimmer
Basic Hand Tools

Pretty awesome,huh?

I'm already getting massive amounts of work opportunities and my head is spinning right now. I never anticipated getting this quantity of work this quick!

So what would you get for the "Bare Essentials". I really hope to grow my business into a successful one. I've even changed my college major to Landscape Design!

nautica1580
03-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Best of Luck to you and your new business venture.

kleankutslawn
03-31-2008, 10:00 PM
i would buy a new washer&dryer

Slcareco
03-31-2008, 10:02 PM
OR even better get a card at creditcards.com with 0% apr for 12months instead a Home Depot card and maybe your limit might be higher!

SoloSulkySurfer
03-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I would buy my stuff used and definetly use at least half of that on a used walkbehind mower. Check craigslist. Used commercial is usually better than new homeowner junk.

stevenf
03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
I would get the highest priced Echo equipment, the most expensive blower, the SRM-230 trimmer, there 20" double side hedge trimmer and so on...
If they allow you to use the card at Lowes, they now cary some decent Husquvarna equipment.

prizeprop
03-31-2008, 10:17 PM
A new front door.

lawnwizards
03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
its funny how some simpletons cant even follow the simplest rules of a question. the guy is talking about starting from scratch and you have morons talking about getting a washer and dryer and a new front door.
as far as the OP's question, make sure you sample the echo products. 1000 wont go too far but you should be able to have a solid set up with a honda mower, echo trimmer and echo blower. build you business with that and expand when you have the money. good luck.

CreativeEdge
03-31-2008, 10:27 PM
I think starting out that the top of the line equipment from HD will be sufficient. I honestly use all stihl equipment and scag mowers. I wouldnt buy a mower from there period. Like the other posts find a used walk behind for now, 36" should be efficient for just starting out. Main problem that I see w/ that equipment will be fall time trying to blow leaves w/ a pb413..that is a waste. Talk to a local dealer for stihl and see what they can offer, they would have the best advice on the best equipment for your budget. This time of year too you can find great deals on commercial blowers, trimmers, edgers, etc. This would be the route that I would take before going to HD or Lowes

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-31-2008, 10:28 PM
I would buy a new refrigerator, no seriously since your just starting out all the echo stuff there is good for starters and also do like everyone else said and save money and buy a used COMMERCIAL walkbehind w/ sulky. I see that ur from Virginia what part?? im from Portmouth,Va and i just so happen to be selling a walkbehind what do you know. let me know if your interested.. good luck

CreativeEdge
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Do as much research and price comparison that fits your budget before buying anything...you need to know what your getting for your money

Exact Rototilling
03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
I would investigate license & insurance requirements for your area. You can easily blow your $1k on just that.

My home state doesn't require a license to mow or for projects under $2,000 each occurrence labor and materials, . . . however the other state I'm licensed in Washington requires a contractors license if you add or remove much of anything. The fine is $1000 for not complying. Being a contractor in WA state requires a $6,000 or $12,000 bond and you can't get the bond without the commercial insurance. And if your credit isn't high the cost to get the bond is extremely expensive. And then if your a new upstart good luck with finding affordable insurance. Then the local paper won't let you run ads unless you're a licensed bonded contractor. :nono:

I hope your state isn't like Washington. :rolleyes:

amscapes03
03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
A Tony Stewart shopping cart for my 4 year old.

biggreenlawncare
03-31-2008, 10:54 PM
I would buy a new refrigerator, no seriously since your just starting out all the echo stuff there is good for starters and also do like everyone else said and save money and buy a used COMMERCIAL walkbehind w/ sulky. I see that ur from Virginia what part?? im from Portmouth,Va and i just so happen to be selling a walkbehind what do you know. let me know if your interested.. good luck
What kind of mower and how much are you selling it for? Any other equipment you're trying to unload?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm in VB.

Superior L & L
03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Years back we used to buy echo blowers and weed whips. Use them for one year and throw them out. The $200 weed whips worked great !! We realy worked the sh!t out of them. Second year we started to have carb problems. but im sure if your using it yourself an dnot running it 50hours a week it will last many seasons

Good Luck!

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-31-2008, 11:22 PM
What kind of mower and how much are you selling it for? Any other equipment you're trying to unload?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm in VB.

Its a 32inch encore commercial pro hydro. it has right around 160 hours on it. it has a 14hp kawasaki motor all maitenance has been well kept up. comes with a bagger, and a sulky asking 1800 obo.

jdmcat
04-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I would investigate license & insurance requirements for your area. You can easily blow your $1k on just that.

My home state doesn't require a license to mow or for projects under $2,000 each occurrence labor and materials, . . . however the other state I'm licensed in Washington requires a contractors license if you add or remove much of anything. The fine is $1000 for not complying. Being a contractor in WA state requires a $6,000 or $12,000 bond and you can't get the bond without the commercial insurance. And if your credit isn't high the cost to get the bond is extremely expensive. And then if your a new upstart good luck with finding affordable insurance. Then the local paper won't let you run ads unless you're a licensed bonded contractor. :nono:

I hope your state isn't like Washington. :rolleyes:

yeah WA sucks, unless you're on welfare:laugh:

lawnman_scott
04-01-2008, 12:50 AM
i would buy a new washer&dryerI just did that and it came to more than $1000, got a refrigerator too also over $1000, so those are both out.

Seriously though, the echo stuff they have there will be ok to start with. You have to start somewhere, and it may not be the best, but it will get you rolling.

justanotherlawnguy
04-01-2008, 01:10 AM
If I had a grand to start a lawn biz and my option/plan was to buy equipment at home depot then I would take a long hard dump and ponder if I really wanted to spend my only G and why I want to start a lawn biz in the first place...

Save your grand and do something else....

lawncutterupper
04-01-2008, 01:24 AM
i would buy a new washer&dryer

Come on, you cant help but laugh at that...

If I had a grand to start a lawn biz and my option/plan was to buy equipment at home depot then I would take a long hard dump and ponder if I really wanted to spend my only G and why I want to start a lawn biz in the first place...

As for this reply, at no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this site is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

biggreenlawncare- you will find more help on this site then you will have time to read, just ignore the sour grapes. Best of luck to you.

SoloSulkySurfer
04-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Seriously though, the echo stuff they have there will be ok to start with. You have to start somewhere, and it may not be the best, but it will get you rolling.

Cant you find some decent used commercial stuff on craigslist? I know I have, guys sell off their stuff left and right. It would be cheaper and probably perform better.

YardBoss Lawncare
04-01-2008, 01:35 AM
You guys, he may not have the money to buy used equipment. From the sounds of it, he didn't have any capital at all, so he applied for the home depot card. He got approved for 1K and now has 1K to start with. He can't use the home depot credit card to purchase used equipment on craig's list, etc... He has to spend the 1K at Home Depot.

topsites
04-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Seriously I would get a LOT of your hand tools there, things like rakes, shovels, a wheel barrow, loppers, shears, maybe a BIG spreader (80+ lbs) and so on...

bill8379
04-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Toro Recycler, Echo trimmer and hand held blower.

mikewhit1010
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM

Push Mower
Trimmer
Basic Hand Tools

Pretty awesome,huh?

My advice is dont borrow money until you are making some serious cash. Use that credit card as a back up. These guys are right too. HD has cheap stuff and you will be replacing it in a few months so you really dont get your dollars worth. When I started I purchased homelite blowers because they where cheap. Let me tell you 10 times later they where dead. Eacho makes a good blower and it saves me so much more time. 1000 wont get you to far I would suggest to save it for a rainy day or wait until you really need to purchase a new trimmer or hedger and get them from HD.

gandk06
04-01-2008, 12:38 PM
If you plan on just cutting small residential yards I would say just an echo blower. If you are just cutting, you have what you need to start. Don't put yourself farther in debt until you know you want to keep doing this. Why spend $500 on a new 21" mower from HD when 2 months from now you see that you will need bigger equipment. At that point head off to a real dealer and start to look at what will fit your needs and then start to look at used commercial equipment.
Just my .02 but don't buy equipment just because you have credit. Try to use cash for equipment you need or if buying new many companies offer 0% for 2-3 years.

J&R Landscaping
04-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Push Mower
Trimmer
Basic Hand Tools

Pretty awesome,huh?

A wheel barrow and hand tools, plus some tools (wrenches and such) so you can maintain the equipment that you have. I would not be using that money to buy equipment, buy equipment from a local dealer!!

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
04-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Just wanted to see if ur interested in the walk-behind forsale ??

Reliable Lawn Care
04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
its funny how some simpletons cant even follow the simplest rules of a question. the guy is talking about starting from scratch and you have morons talking about getting a washer and dryer and a new front door.
as far as the OP's question, make sure you sample the echo products. 1000 wont go too far but you should be able to have a solid set up with a honda mower, echo trimmer and echo blower. build you business with that and expand when you have the money. good luck.

The "Key Word" in your statement to me is "when you have the money". This said, I would continue doing what he is doing with what he or she has and save up to pay cash for items needed. He obviously does not have the money now and is borrowing from over priced interest cards. PS. I got a light chuckle out of the washer and dryer / front door comments. Humor goes a long ways!!!

nautica1580
04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Like I stated before man, I've been in your shoes before- hang in there, you will get more discouragement than encouragement. The Home Depot equipment has 2 year warrantys on it and offers the best bang for the buck on Echo equipment. Keep the mower you have now and save the cash until you can buy that 36" with the sulky and just buy the basic stuff: weedeater SRM 2300,blower 413H and edgerSRM 2300. They can probably all be had with the coupon I stater earlier for around 600 bucks. This will be a good start for you, use the mower you currently have and SAVE. Start telling your freinds about your venture and get the word of mouth out about your business and start marketing yourself. Hang in there man, where theres a will, theres a way. Best of Luck.

MOWEMJEFF
04-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Come on, you cant help but laugh at that...

As for this reply, at no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this site is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

biggreenlawncare- you will find more help on this site then you will have time to read, just ignore the sour grapes. Best of luck to you.

LMAO:laugh:
As for Home depot they do sell the SRM-230, I bought the SRM-210 from there 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it...knock on wood...And if your just gonna be push mowing and doing small jobs look into the stihl handheld blower its like $150...........and oh ya.....GET YOUR A$$ OUT THERE AND MOW THAT F***ING LAWN.:laugh:

biggreenlawncare
04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
I appreciate the kind words Nautica. I take everything mostly anyone says with a grain of salt. I'm 21 years old. I have no massive amount of cash socked away to buy a new truck, trailer, and a few grand worth of commercial equipment. What a measley $1000 on a high interest Home Depot credit card is, is a glimmer of hope and a stepping stone to try to break into the business. I've got lots of work lined up already, after only barely 2 weeks in. Perhaps if everyone stopped cutting down the newbies they'd have some extra time to market for themselves...

Cutting4eva21...I would love to buy that thing off you man. Unfortunately, I'm about $1800 short of your asking price. If business takes off over the next month or two I will definitely be in touch. Unless you are willing to do a payment plan (which no one ever does which is why I don't ask), I'm unable to buy it right now.

I appreciate everyone's helpful input.

As for the washer and dryer, it turns out I can make more money doing landscaping then starting a two piece laundromat. I did the math and I'd only make like 4 quarters an hour if I went the laundromat route.

And the front door idea was also a good one but I don't believe in doors.

I live in a van down by the river.

greenbaylawns
04-01-2008, 07:55 PM
WD40 cause Dano wont give me a hat.

biggreenlawncare
04-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Did you read my initial post in this thread?

biggreenlawncare
04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Regarding the Home Depot coupons from ebay...

Does anyone know if they still accept them? I checked them out on Ebay and they all have a disclaimer saying some Home Depots don't accept them anymore. Any advice from past experience?

If they will take it then it's definitely a heck of a deal!

kootoomootoo
04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
umm hellloo

If you can get approved for $1000 at HD u sure as chit can get approved for yard card or sheffield ...I mean with all this work coming in "allegedly" you wont have any problems paying for it.

Take the $1000 and pay a mentor $1000 in HD mercandise to mentor you in landscaping. They sure won't be sending you to HD to buy lawn care equipment. BUT u know that would be the best investment decision of your life...of course you will do the opposite.

biggreenlawncare
04-01-2008, 08:13 PM
umm hellloo

If you can get approved for $1000 at HD u sure as chit can get approved for yard card or sheffield ...I mean with all this work coming in "allegedly" you wont have any problems paying for it.

Take the $1000 and pay a mentor $1000 in HD mercandise to mentor you in landscaping. They sure won't be sending you to HD to buy lawn care equipment. BUT u know that would be the best investment decision of your life...of course you will do the opposite.
Not true as far as potential menor not sending me to Home Depot part. I was watching the Bob Vila/Christopher Lowell marathon and they both recommended HD. And everything they say on TV is true so...

Carolina Cuts
04-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Oh oh if I knew then, what I know now....

then I too would agree with the majority... stay away from HD. But I understand cause I have been in your shoes, lived/learned the hard way. Commercial equipment is the way to go... only IF the funds are available. For me, they weren't.... for you, they're not. So HD is the way to go for you. You can 'get by' with some HD stuff. You may even get two seasons out of the equipment. By then you'll have saved some duckets... hopefully.... and you'll be ready to start buying some commercial gear. AND THEN and ONLY THEN you will say to yourself.... "Geeez, I should've invested in this commercial equipment a long time ago..." BUT, you can't at the moment and it's understandable. So... do what most likely 50% of us did when starting out at your age and shop the HD. Of course, it was Builders Square or Hechingers at the time.

Anyway, if you're gonna shop HD, at least get the top of the line echos from there....
G'luck with the biz.... save your duckets.... keep the HD gear in good shape so that maybe they can be your 'backups' next season....

G'luck to ya....

Roger
04-01-2008, 08:40 PM

The title of the thread says "... if you had $1,000 ..." and then the initial post makes this statement.

Excuse me, you do not have $1,000! You only have credit approval to charge $1,000. The use of words here is very telling.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that has so many Americans up to their eyeballs in debt. Just because somebody has approval on a credit card, does not mean they have this money to spend. This is why the average credit card holder now has $9,000 in outstanding balance, and apparently the levels continue to grow every day. Stop already!

Remember these card issuers are not nearly as interested in making profits on merchandise, as they are in making money on the buying habits of the card holders. The "banking" portion of the business is very profitable. They are counting on the $1,000 to be tapped out, with minimum payments being made every month, allowing the interest to be accumulated. And, the interest amount is being accumulated at an incredible interest rate.

If you need a $1,000 loan to get a business started, why would you take out a loan with the highest interest rate available?

The concern expressed here is about which trimmer, which blower, etc. The initial steps on the path of a successful business are headed in the wrong direction. How to finance your startup should be the primary concern.

Carolina Cuts
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
average credit card holder now has $9,000

daaamn... I'm only average? All this time my mumsie has been telling me I'm special.... and to think, I'm only average.... sheesh.

biggreenlawncare
04-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I completely understand why everyone is so anti-credit card. Belive me I do.

However, being 21, in college, with no significant amount of cash to spend up front, it's either use the credit card to get equipment to start making money, OR keep working my stupid job that I have now and not be any better off.

I guess I should have included that HD's current special (and the MAIN reason I applied for a credit card with them) is 6 months no payments, no interest.

My plan is to buy the Echo stuff (thanks to everyone's advice) and have it paid off within the 6 months. That way I am financing only the actual price.

No interest involved.

If this is a bad plan, please let me know why.

Walking in with cash would be ideal obviously but paying it off before 6 months would be same as cash. It's all that's available to me as of now...

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
04-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Big Green i understand you don't have the cash right now don't worry the walk-behind ain't goin anywhere for now if your still interested later down the road send me a pm. and good luck this year...

biggreenlawncare
04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Man I've been trying to figure out how to PM somone. How do you? Do they have to be on your buddy list?

Can you send me some pics of the mower if you have any?

Also, I wanted to see if you would be interested in getting together sometime and swapping ideas/strategies. I realize we're in the same neck of the woods, but if you'd be willing to do that that'd be awesome. As of right now, I'm just working in VB and the VB side of Chesapeake.

Thanks!

MOWEMJEFF
04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I completely understand why everyone is so anti-credit card. Belive me I do.

However, being 21, in college, with no significant amount of cash to spend up front, it's either use the credit card to get equipment to start making money, OR keep working my stupid job that I have now and not be any better off.

I guess I should have included that HD's current special (and the MAIN reason I applied for a credit card with them) is 6 months no payments, no interest.

My plan is to buy the Echo stuff (thanks to everyone's advice) and have it paid off within the 6 months. That way I am financing only the actual price.

No interest involved.

If this is a bad plan, please let me know why.

Walking in with cash would be ideal obviously but paying it off before 6 months would be same as cash. It's all that's available to me as of now...

I started with a 22inch craftsman in the trunk of my camry 3 years ago when I was 20...now I have a truck, new trailer, walker, walk behind, new bagging push mower, trimmer, chainsaw, TONS of hand tools, a really nice dewalt miter saw and half a garage(couple more weeks).........oh ya......and its all thanks to credit cards. I only owe $6500 now and half of that is my truck loan, if you want to put the work in you'll be fine. And HD is probly offering 0% financing on home and garden right now for 12 months. And as for PMs you can send them now that you have 10 post.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
04-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Man I've been trying to figure out how to PM somone. How do you? Do they have to be on your buddy list?

Can you send me some pics of the mower if you have any?

Also, I wanted to see if you would be interested in getting together sometime and swapping ideas/strategies. I realize we're in the same neck of the woods, but if you'd be willing to do that that'd be awesome. As of right now, I'm just working in VB and the VB side of Chesapeake.

Thanks!

Id be more than willing to help you out and go over strategies and tips for you. I just gotta find the time to meet up with you mowing season is almost in full swing and im getting busy by the minute... If you want to pm me just click on my name Cutting 4eva 21 and click send pm. as far as pics goes i will get them too ya tommorow...

MOWEMJEFF
04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
and keep your other job as long as possible, you can never have too much income.

Carolina Cuts
04-01-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't think you can pm until you post "X" amount of posts or something like that. Not fo' sure.

In other words.... you're a newb.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
04-01-2008, 11:48 PM
someone said around 10 posts but im not 100% sure on that.. I tried to pm you but it wouldn't let me i will try agian in the tommorow later..

jdmcat
04-02-2008, 12:28 AM
There is nothing wrong with using HD stuff to get started if thats all you can get. Especially if you are just starting out since you won't be putting a bunch of hours on it. It should last plenty long enough for you to make enough money to buy some commercial equipment and then you can use the others as backup. Just make sure you stick to your plan of paying it off in 6 months because that interest builds from the day you buy and they tack it all on at once at the end of the 6 months.

BTW, you need to be a member for at least 10 days and have 10 posts before you can PM.

Az Gardener
04-02-2008, 12:50 AM
I would suggest buying stock in Home Depo. Not the tools.

Stillwater
04-02-2008, 01:19 AM

Push Mower
Trimmer
Basic Hand Tools

Pretty awesome,huh?

somebody might already addressed this i haven't read many posts but if you want to protect your credit score and build upon credit do not use more than 45% of your credit limit. you actually should only spend 475.00.
I hate to type so I will let others explain why. In my opinion don't use the card and don't buy any gas powered tools at the home depot, 1 exception (the dewalt 13hp power washer)

BeautifulBlooms
04-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Their Pallet Racking!!!!!!

Reliable Lawn Care
04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
somebody might already addressed this i haven't read many posts but if you want to protect your credit score and build upon credit do not use more than 45% of your credit limit. you actually should only spend 475.00.
I hate to type so I will let others explain why. In my opinion don't use the card and don't buy any gas powered tools at the home depot, 1 exception (the dewalt 13hp power washer)

I agree with the above, but I believe the amount should be 30% or less of the available credit. But hey, I am no Suze Orman! LOL But, if the whole amount is used, do as you are saying and get it paid off in the 6 months period of time, you don't want that equipment costing more than the sticker price. I use alot of Echo equipment myself and I really can't complain about Echo, it has been good to me. Best of luck !

Stillwater
04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree with the above, but I believe the amount should be 30% or less of the available credit. But hey, I am no Suze Orman! LOL But, if the whole amount is used, do as you are saying and get it paid off in the 6 months period of time, you don't want that equipment costing more than the sticker price. I use alot of Echo equipment myself and I really can't complain about Echo, it has been good to me. Best of luck !

you are correct 30% is better

hackitdown
04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Just go buy the Echo blower and any other small stuff you may need like gas cans, straps, safety glasses, earmuffs, 2-cycle oil, a tarp, wheelbarrow, etc. Then get to work and earn as much as you can.

When your old trimmer breaks, step up and get a top quality one. Same with the mower. Use them until they die, and replace with the best you can afford. Continue until you have all decent, dependable equipment.

Then start spending your money on advertising...

kootoomootoo
04-02-2008, 11:09 PM
You still don't grasp the concept that citicard approved you so this would suggest you are going to be approved elsewhere. Did daddy co-sign

hmmm should I go to an exmark dealer and apply for financing get a commercial set up or go to walmart or hd (same thing) and buy homeowner stuff.

Higher up the food chain most of the financing comes from the same place anyway.

Might wanna take a raincheck on hd stock. Check the chart/financials for the last 12 mths. Sales are down / profits / same store sales are down etc etc etc

davink
04-03-2008, 12:07 AM
You still don't grasp the concept that citicard approved you so this would suggest you are going to be approved elsewhere. Did daddy co-sign

hmmm should I go to an exmark dealer and apply for financing get a commercial set up or go to walmart or hd (same thing) and buy homeowner stuff.

Higher up the food chain most of the financing comes from the same place anyway.

Might wanna take a raincheck on hd stock. Check the chart/financials for the last 12 mths. Sales are down / profits / same store sales are down etc etc etc

Keep in mind that if he goes and buys JD or some other brand, he is going to spend MUCH more. Better quality? Yes, more money? Yes, MUCH more risk if things do not work out for him? YES only blowing a $1000.00 instead of $10,000.00 on equiptment for a failed business attempt, PRICELESS.

Please keep in mind I am not saying that you are going to fail, but this IS a tough economy right now and the object is to MAKE money NOT spend it. You want a small a start up cost a possible. Ge HD stuff, care for it, market yourself, make money and up grade later as you need, when you have the accounts and money coming in. Just my .02:waving: