PDA

View Full Version : pine straw

kjslawn
03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a cust that has grade A cypress mulch theuy want to save money on mulch. Can I use Pine straw? Is it cheaper? Easier to spread? Or should I just use brown hardwood?

kleankutslawn
03-31-2008, 10:02 PM
i did a job x mas eve that needed pine straw,i will post the price per bundle in a min

STRINGALATION
04-02-2008, 12:45 AM
i'm waiting aswell. i know where to get it i want to firure out the amount of coverage

cgaengineer
04-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Some say anywhere between 70 and 100 sq feet per bale, I put it down thick so I am figuring 25 sq ft per bale. Pine straw is not hard to spread but it is aggravating as its dusty and sticks together. I like the looks of pine straw so much better than mulched wood and it doesn't float out of low places, though if you are no careful pine straw will blow away if not installed properly. Pine straw also edges better than chips as it doesnt fly out of the beds onto the lawn when the edger hits it.

grass2cash
04-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I know that its not a huge concern of yours being that its a customer's property, but spiders absolutely love pine straw. My neighbor was bitten by a Brown recluse while planting in her flower bed... the bed was layered in pine straw.

Trenchblade
04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
if you are thinking of laying some pine straw you should check out www.trenchblade.com to use to trench your bed lines.

ED'S LAWNCARE
04-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I just did a job last month I used 3 bales per 100sq. Nice and thick customer loved it.

cgaengineer
04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I just did a job last month I used 3 bales per 100sq. Nice and thick customer loved it.

Thats about what I use, 25-35 sq ft. per bale, it does look really nice.

kjslawn
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Is this easier the reg mulch? more Profitible? what the shelf life? does it braek down
like mulch. got to be better than shoveling mulch from the back of truck right. Sorry so many question but I seen it on a new install and I like it.

tjsquickcuts
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
The Plus on Pinestraw is that its very easy to lay, gets great coverage, and should be replaced 2 to 3 times per year.

The Minus on Pinestraw is that it loses its look after about a week or 2, not really profitable unless you are installing 100 plus bales a day and buying in bulk, and can attrach more bugs then mulch or rocks.

SOMM
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Use the cheapest damn-thing that will get the job done to reflect the greatest VALUE over the life of the landscaping-product.

Nothing wrong with a uniform quantity of pine-straw if it '"fits the bill".

(there is no such thing as "waste, in nature)

:usflag:

Carolina Cuts
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
it's cheaper, yes... and dirty, and dusty, attracts spiders and bugs, raises the acidity in the soil a little bit.... sometimes a lotta bit. Makes me sneeze and makes my nose run when installing it. And it looks great, really great when put down.... then a week later after a rain.... you're ready for more straw. :)

I have my issues with straw.

sandman23
04-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Cost $3.60 per bale. Installed $6.00. Covers 40-50 sqft. Can spread 15-20 bales per man hour. Not a lot of money in it for me anyway. I just provide it for my customers.

STRINGALATION
04-03-2008, 01:25 AM
i'm about to bid on a commercial property that has three differnt mulches. rocks, wood and a few trees that are dropping major needles. my thought was in the areas where the pines are turn to needle beds or turn all the beds to straw all the beds would need around 1500 bales total.