PDA

View Full Version : what member has been the most helpful and why?

lawnwizards
03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
just want to give props to the good guys around here. who here has helped you the most and how have they helped?
my vote goes to rodfather. rod has helped me tremendously. hes lended a follow up letter that has attracted new clients and he is always honest with me and never tries to steer me in the wrong direction. anyway, what member has helped you the most and why?

thanks.
randy.

mowin at the lake
03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Eric Elm.....

Raven386
03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
My vote is for myself... without me LawnSite would be nothing... oh wait does the qualify me for the arrogant list?

02DURAMAX
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
:usflag::usflag::usflag:Eric Elm.....

lawnwizards
03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Eric Elm.....

i hear great things about eric elm. i got on here just late enough to miss his great posts. i've seen some pics of his stripes though. immaculate.

Raven386
03-31-2008, 10:52 PM
well I couldnt edit my post due to the awesome server being to busy at the moment... so anyways... I dont think I could think of 1 person, its usually everyone who posts their thoughts and opinions in whatever thread. I think everyone deserves props really, although some have been more helpful than others, everyone has helped someone.....

cgaengineer
03-31-2008, 10:52 PM
My vote is for myself... without me LawnSite would be nothing... oh wait does the qualify me for the arrogant list?

Topsites gets my vote....I may not agree with everything he posts, but he does know a few things and is really helpful.

bill8379
03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
I like MMLawn but he aint here no more.

Whitey4
03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
RCreech, Ted, turf Hokie have helped me a lot in the pesticide forum. In general, most people are very helpful... then there is that PITA minority that think their schtick is funny... like one a few posts back. Kinda like having a rock in yer shoe... annoying, but it doesn't stop you.

cgaengineer
03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
well I couldnt edit my post due to the awesome server being to busy at the moment.

The speed gets bad when all the west coast people get on here!! Its 11PM Est time and the site is crawling...

bill8379
03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Topsites gets my vote....I may not agree with everything he posts, but he does know a few things and is really helpful.

I don't know man:laugh: 8 years in this business and he has 30 customers... Yikes! Whenever he gives advice on customer service..:rolleyes:

jaybird24
03-31-2008, 11:18 PM
The guy that gave me some advice about a mower, or maybe it was a trimmer, or a blower, well anyway that guy. Cheers to you all who give solid unbiased advice.

Superior L & L
03-31-2008, 11:18 PM
I read a lot on here but dont write a lot cos there are lots of people on here that think they know it all and i dont want to argue with these people.
That beening said there are also people that are very skilled and helpful. Just this weekend i read the equipement thread from etwman. That guy has a great story an dlots of good info

LawnTamer
03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Eric Elm.....

The first name that came to my mind too. He was helpful to the extreme and the master of striping. Just this morning I was looking at pics of some of his lawns.
Here are 2 he striped, look at his lines, this was back when striping was generally something for ball diamonds.... Man he was good.

Valk
03-31-2008, 11:28 PM
tacoma200 has a great writing style...very personable.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-31-2008, 11:45 PM
i would have to go with topsites but there are alot of guys out there who help too.

Dunn's
04-01-2008, 12:14 AM
MM,Rod, and tops sometimes but not in the regular way of helping, sometimes it is alot like the help you get from bobbo short.

Oh yeah and we can't forgoet dunn's. That member has helped me tremendously. Much more of the site then on it though. I think they feel it is to open to the public for their advice. Oh yeah and brendan

tacoma200
04-01-2008, 12:34 AM
tacoma200 has a great writing style...very personable.

Thanks, I appreciate the complement.
There are so many interesting posters. You can learn as much from those that have opinions different from your own as well as those that agree. You can learn a lot from the old pro's that have been at this game for years as well as the newcomers with fresh Idea's and a different outlook. Just a few of the interesting posters for different reasons to me are Envy Lawn Service, John Gamba, GeneGLS, TLS, Puppypaws, ShadyBrook, PJ the Hustler Mowerconsultant, MJB, Brian at Exmark, Chuck Bow, Audrey, KLC99, ProStreetCamaro, J+R Landscaping, and I have a bad memory so forgive me if I left you out. Not all of these are large LCO's, but their post have been informative and helpful.

I learn the lest from those that are absolutely brand loyal and can find no fault in that particular brand.

STRINGALATION
04-01-2008, 12:55 AM
well first of all those stripes are amazing again i say amazing.

well i agree everyone has a great two cents for what it is worth but if you force my hand i would have to say

1. AGLA for the design & plan view advice
2. CGLAND for the hardscaping advice and a look at a sweet trailer
3. CHAMPION LS for the hardscaping and overall advice
4. DVS HARDSCAPER overall and the business tips
5. WILLRETIRE@40 for the how to get credit thread
6. KOOTOOMOTOO someone has to play the devils advocate?
7. MRUSK because your fame on here is amazing. it makes me think and rethink before i commit to something because man they just let loose on this young man with both barrels

now i am off to search that elm guys stripes and techniques

South Florida Lawns
04-01-2008, 01:01 AM
All the origional guys are very informative. At least the one's that arn't jerks:laugh:. RestoreRob Frankenscaggmachines BriansLawn Mcwlandscaping Lawnworks and anybody that was in the SFLQP group thingy. There were a bunch of friends on here in that group.

I MOW ALONE
04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
i have to say restorob. he has helped me the most definitely knows his s**t.

Lawn-Sharks
04-01-2008, 01:16 AM
I VOTE for Raven386. He has been very helpful with my website. I didn't even have to ask for help he just jumped rite in and had the soultion to some of my website problems. Thanks!

drains
04-01-2008, 01:18 AM
BobbyGedd, not much help but very entertaining.:drinkup:

Raven386
04-01-2008, 01:24 AM
woohoo! I got one vote lol. Thanks LawnSharks... check your pm's

rodfather
04-01-2008, 06:33 AM
that's very kind of you, thanks Randy...and I do try to help all.

mhussey
04-01-2008, 07:15 AM
There are a bunch of guy's on here that are willing to give out information. I appreciate all of you that has helped me get to where I am. Although I'm not a big company, people love my work and this site has everything to do with it.

Back on topic. Some of the one's that have helped me out is (in no particular order): Envy, Rodfather, RestroRob, Stringalation, Beautiful Blooms, Richard Martin, MMLawn (miss reading this guys posts), PuppyPaws, Tacoma200, John Gamba, there are others just can't think of them. These are not questions I have asked, mainly from what I have read. I read more than I post. So all I can say is thanks guys.

LindblomRJ
04-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't know man:laugh: 8 years in this business and he has 30 customers... Yikes! Whenever he gives advice on customer service..:rolleyes:

That is exactly my though my thought on Topsites.

Jim Lewis and MD Vaden come to mind. Resto for his mechanical inclination.
There are several in one area or anther who have a fair amount of knowledge. There are the hardscape folks, the irrigation guru's, and applicators that are well versed in their field.

deerex
04-01-2008, 08:26 AM
BobbyGedd, not much help but very entertaining.:drinkup:

What ever happened to bobbygedd? I think I miss him.

rodfather
04-01-2008, 08:46 AM
What ever happened to bobbygedd? I think I miss him.

banned he told me

Raven386
04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
I forgot about MDVaden, he has helped me out a ton.. so my vote goes to him!

Nosmo
04-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Yep Bobby Gedd got banned but he is still putting out BS on another site. Lots of good guys are here to learn from. I miss Envy and welcome his visits every now and then.

Nosmo

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I, too, would have to say it's a long list. There's so much that has to be sifted through to find the truths shared that actually apply to any given situation... and so those crucial answers and suggestions seem to come from across the board.

That being said, I've always enjoyed americanlawn, rcreech, envy, etc.

I'd like to thank you all, but the music's coming up and my 15 seconds of fame apparently needs to be interrupted by a commercial break.

And while there are haters out there, I also must say that I LOVE the sarcasm and wit. Lawnsite is a release for me, not just homework - so keep cracking jokes, y'all.

cborden
04-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I always enjoyed reading Bobby Gedd's rants, they were always good for a laugh or in some cases, a little more thought. :drinkup::drinkup:

milo
04-01-2008, 11:17 AM
95% of stuff i read here is wrong from people. there are a few that do really know things. alot of people on here are kids like age 15 to 19 starting out too and try to say they know all this stuff. most people on here i hate to hear from are the ones that every piece of equipment they own is the best and they never even tried or let alone ran the others.
but i do think 5% people here are smart and know alot but many and i mean many dont know nothing at all. just for fun and to prove this read the trend Fluid Film Available Here .. wow cant people read???

Turf Commando
04-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I never go by someones signature, just cause you own 15 ZTR's and 6 trailers doesn't mean a damn thing .
Usually the loudest voice is the most useless...
The members I recommend in my short time I've been here. In alphabetical
order
jsaunders
PearceLawn
Quality Cuts pls
Top Sites

Great guys to know ....!!!

GraZZmaZter
04-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Ive posted on similar threads, and i cant believe only one vote for the person i think best represents professionalism, intelligance, and is straight to the point. He runs a top notch outfit through and through. Is helpful and not arrogant about his 7 figure company.

He even called me a few years back to help me set up some year-round contracts.
Jim Lewis..

Hats off bro.

NORTHMAN
04-01-2008, 05:41 PM
tacoma200
tallimeca
shovelracer
Envy
PROSTREETCAMARO
have all been very very responsive to my posta and PM's,I'd like to thank them all.

kreft
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
ETWMan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obvious reasons!

Scagmower48
04-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I like reading whitney4's posts. He is not a cocky guy, explains everything to the fullest, and seems to have a good business plan.

Carolina Cuts
04-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm not arrogant, but a lil' goofy. I try to give some advice... but I'm not so bright... so I answer the obvious. With brutal truth of course.
So I vote for me. :rolleyes:

IA_James
04-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Restrorob, that cat knows his stuff.

DSLND
04-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't think I would be where I am today if it hadn't been for LawnSite and the great people I have met in my stay!

Anyone who has given me tips, tricks, or just plain advice I owe a Thank You:):)

There are a few specific people I would like to point out. Please be advised, these are in no specific order.

Stuff deer and mcwlandscaping have been awesome to me! I haven't talked to MCW lately (I think that lady friend of his has taken away from his AIM talking):drinkup:. Heck, just the other day stuff deer (Mike) helped me with math! Haha, he was helping me find the square footage of a circle (mulch job). haha:hammerhead:

But etwman's thread is a true motivation to me.... I've read through it a few times:):):usflag::laugh:

But I just want to thank everyone who has made this website a family. I find myself learning so much here, its not even funny.

-Mitch-

d&rlawncare
04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Without a doubt- ENVY
also-bigacres and lawnboss

Runner
04-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Ok,...Now I'm feeling like chopped liver....:hammerhead::laugh:
Honstly, I can say I love every actual (regular) member (all of you know who you are).:drinkup:

4curbappeal
04-03-2008, 12:59 AM
I don't think I would be where I am today if it hadn't been for LawnSite and the great people I have met in my stay!

Anyone who has given me tips, tricks, or just plain advice I owe a Thank You:):)

There are a few specific people I would like to point out. Please be advised, these are in no specific order.

Stuff deer and mcwlandscaping have been awesome to me! I haven't talked to MCW lately (I think that lady friend of his has taken away from his AIM talking):drinkup:. Heck, just the other day stuff deer (Mike) helped me with math! Haha, he was helping me find the square footage of a circle (mulch job). haha:hammerhead:

But etwman's thread is a true motivation to me.... I've read through it a few times:):):usflag::laugh:

But I just want to thank everyone who has made this website a family. I find myself learning so much here, its not even funny.

-Mitch-

Dry it up pal! It's mowing season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Gretzmier
04-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Eric Elm. I miss him. sniff.

He was knowledgable about equipment, insurance, trucks, trailers, bidding, marketing, accounting, basically everything that goes into running a top notch smaller scale operation. was extremely friendly and respectful with posts, and took the time to make sure things were typed and spelled correctly.

I remember back in the day when lawn site was in black and white and the internet only had 3 channels...

edward hedrick
04-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Eric ELM, Genegls, Eric Cannady aka bushhogboy

Eric for stripes, Gene for Walker help, Eric for dreaming

mag360
04-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Ive posted on similar threads, and i cant believe only one vote for the person i think best represents professionalism, intelligance, and is straight to the point. He runs a top notch outfit through and through. Is helpful and not arrogant about his 7 figure company.

He even called me a few years back to help me set up some year-round contracts.
Jim Lewis..

Hats off bro.

Third vote for Jim Lewis here.

Etwman's thread is very inspirational to anyone who owns his own company too.

Tacoma is always very informative and deserves credit for almost singlehandedly bringing back the ultracut deck for exmark (at least on this site).

nobagger
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I have to agree with every one on here I guess. I wish I could spend more time on here but tis' the season for estimates, getting equipment ready etc. I will say though....I love giving advice to the people asking legit good questions. I am by no means a "know it all" but I've been at this for awhile now, but I hate questions like "what should my hourly rate be". I just dont think prices should be a thing that we talk about. A) You should already know what your hourly rate should be. B) Its kinda irrelevant because there is a very broad price range.