PDA

View Full Version : Bid today...how close or far off was I in your book?

corey4671
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Got a call for this one time deal this morning. Lot measured out to .72 acres. Only real obstacle would be the trampoline. Guy's mower is in the shop. Let me know what you think. I'll get some after pics IF I get to mow it Wednesday if the weather man is right. Guy agreed to my price btw.

IndyChad
03-31-2008, 10:27 PM
It looks like he could use a couple lawn applications.

Indy Kyle
03-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Be careful trimming around that skirting, you'll put holes it in quite easily with your trimmer.

corey4671
03-31-2008, 10:28 PM
here's some more

corey4671
03-31-2008, 10:31 PM
It looks like he could use a couple lawn applications.

if you're referring to the purple stuff, that crap is everywhere around here.

d&rlawncare
03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
45-60 if it were weekly. if i didnt have to change my route for him id do it for that on a one time deal. if i had to fit him in then maybe 75-90.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
03-31-2008, 10:43 PM
Thats one ugly yard ! $65 and have a nice day for a one timmer..

d&rlawncare
03-31-2008, 10:50 PM
so what did you get it for?
hurry its BEDTIME for some of us!!!!!

lawnwizards
03-31-2008, 10:52 PM
i'm guessing somewhere along the lines of 90-100 bucks.

corey4671
03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
well..I have to admit...I guess I'm officially a lowballer...so go ahead and crucify me!! $40 sigh...I feel so cheap and violated now.

SchultzLawnCare
03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
ah forget about them. itll take you about 1 hour to do the whole yard thats 30 bucks an hour with expences. enjoy and have a good day.

corey4671
03-31-2008, 11:06 PM
and I'm figuring in and out in 35 minutes or less....at least that's what I came up with the fouth time I counted it on my toes.

d&rlawncare
03-31-2008, 11:08 PM
spam is only for christmas and thanksgiving and the occasional wedding. rest of the time it's possum. Maybe I'l find one in these weeds when I mow.

take some "after" picts and post them also track your time for us. just to see how close we are on out prices compared to yours.

corey4671
03-31-2008, 11:10 PM
take some "after" picts and post them also track your time for us. just to see how close we are on out prices compared to yours.

that's the plan. IF nothing else, this is just one mistake I won't make again. You guys up north who can get $80-$100/hour, more power to you. Somehow though I tend to think our cost of living down here might be a tad less than yours. After all, we live on spam and taters and moonshine. :laugh:

lawnman_scott
04-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Got a call for this one time deal this morning. Lot measured out to .72 acres. Only real obstacle would be the trampoline. Guy's mower is in the shop. Let me know what you think. I'll get some after pics IF I get to mow it Wednesday if the weather man is right. Guy agreed to my price btw.So is this just a one time mower broken cut? I would be way higher and would cut it when I went to look at it.

Richard Martin
04-01-2008, 05:08 AM
Let's see now. Double wide, in the country and a Christmas Wreath still on the door. He's probably lucky he got the money he did.

A lot of you guys would starve waiting to get much over $50 for that job.

lawnguyland
04-01-2008, 05:34 AM
That guy can't afford a mower. There's no mower in the shop. He'll never pay. WT.

KGR landscapeing
04-01-2008, 06:12 AM
wait a min theres actually grass on that lot? one big jug of round up and he wont need a mower

Charles
04-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Not much trimming. Doublewide in Tennessee. I would axs for 50 and probably get it for $40 or 45. I don't think you are a low baller. You price fits your area or the area of this property. I agree that many would starve if they didn't take what they could get sometimes

Charles
04-01-2008, 07:35 AM
That guy can't afford a mower. There's no mower in the shop. He'll never pay. WT.

You can make good money cutting weeds. Usually weeds grow even in droughts. Winter weeds are money makers in the spring.
Country people are usually my best payers

Frue
04-01-2008, 08:12 AM
for me that would be low 42.00 high 50.00 around here.

lostmdboy
04-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Man I would love a flat yard like that. Most of my have atleast one bank you have to weed eat. I would have said 45$, but I think pricing is a little lower here. Looks like about an hour of mowing at the most. Could use some fertalizer though, and some grass seed.

Carolina Cuts
04-01-2008, 08:27 AM
One timer???? I don't do one times (unless she's really really hot). BUT, It's worth $75.00 might as well bid high for the inconvenience of going out of your way for a one time cut. I don't think you need the $40 that bad.

Richard Martin
04-01-2008, 08:32 AM

Where in MD did you get lost from?

I moved to Eastern Carolina back in '06 from just south of Annapolis.

jsf343
04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
wow, $40? with gas pushing close to $4.00 out here there is no way I would touch it for that price. We get close to $40 for in city residentials, but like someone mentioned I think the cost of living is much lower in your area. If you can do it in under 40 min. it might be ok. shoot for $60.00 next time. shoot in this day and age I guess I don't blame you for taking what you can get.

C&K
04-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I agree with all of you in different respects. Probably should have shot a little higher for a one time visit. However, chances are the guy would not pay $60-$75 bucks. I know the type and he would let his lawn go 6 weeks before he would pay that. You got all you were going to get from him. I guess it boils down to if you need or want that fellow's $40 dollars. Not bad money if you ask me- 40 mins. work for one man. I'll take 8 or 9 of those five days a week! $40 x 8 x 5 = $1600.00. Not bad for a TN. boy!

pj550v12
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
That lawn would take me about 20 minutes, I'd have charged $40 as well.

flhntr
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
thats about a 60-65 dollar yard around here if we do it regular

shovelracer
04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Watch out for the bud light can in pic 5.

delphied
04-01-2008, 09:54 AM
that's the plan. IF nothing else, this is just one mistake I won't make again. You guys up north who can get $80-$100/hour, more power to you. Somehow though I tend to think our cost of living down here might be a tad less than yours. After all, we live on spam and taters and moonshine. :laugh:

I dont think your cost of living is much less than ours. I do think alot of guys lie about what they get to cut lawns

cgaengineer
04-01-2008, 11:37 AM
if you're referring to the purple stuff, that crap is everywhere around here.

That purple stuff is Henbit...I freakin" hate that stuff!

milo
04-01-2008, 11:40 AM
dont know, you forgot to add::
1. do you do like the neighbor?
2. is it a 1 mile drive or 10 miles? to get there?
3. is it in a place you wanto grow?
4. if only a couple cuts compaired to a season of cutting then price should be almost doubled.
if i did theneighbor i would charge $40.
1 mile away i would charge 45.
10 miles away like 80.
just a couple cuts and i did the neighbor 80.
10 miles for a couple cuts like 100. and if they would be that dumb to pay that i would come and do it.

cgaengineer
04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I would have shot for about $45...we have property that looks like that around here and trust me these types of people generally do not care if lawn is cut or not...to get $40 of this mans beer money was good...and I doubt anyone could sell this person a weed treatment!

akvadam
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
watch out for tornado's its a trailer....:laugh:

Richard Martin
04-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I do think alot of guys lie about what they get to cut lawns

No way! I believe everything I read here. NOT!

lawnboyoung
04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
well..I have to admit...I guess I'm officially a lowballer...so go ahead and crucify me!! $40 sigh...I feel so cheap and violated now.

jess start doubling your prices

lhenryp1
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Well the owner of that place is not going to pay too much and if you bid it too high you will not get it. I would rather get it for $40 than lose it to someone else. You guys are too funny....You would rather finish the day early and catch a movie than 'clear' another $30 bucks....

KGR landscapeing
04-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Well the owner of that place is not going to pay too much and if you bid it too high you will not get it. I would rather get it for $40 than lose it to someone else. You guys are too funny....You would rather finish the day early and catch a movie than 'clear' another $30 bucks....

how are you gonna clear 30 bucks on a yard that you only got 40 on? it would cost me more then 10 bucks in gas. just making noise i would of probably cut it anyway. and just used the cash for lunch or whatever

corey4671
04-01-2008, 08:05 PM
That purple stuff is Henbit...I freakin" hate that stuff!

I know what it is...its just that everybody around here just calls it "that purple weed" and it is a pain especially the first mow of the season along walls. ARGH.

corey4671
04-01-2008, 08:11 PM

I agree you would never sell this guy on weed treatment. I do think however this is a guy who wants it kept mowed. I'm out this way pretty regular and knew exactly where it was when he called. IT wasn't one of those junk piles that stands out in my mind. This one particular area has a high concentration on single and double wides and most ifnot all keep their places looking pretty spiffy. Go three miles down there same road and there are half million dollar homes and let me tell you...half a million around here will easily buy you a 3k sq ft home on about 5 acres and maybe an in ground pool.

Let me also say this about trailers. I found a trailer park in Pigeon Forge TN last fall (gateway to the Smoky Mts). Y'all these places were nice looking!! These people were serious about their lawns!! Even saw one where the guy and his wife had matching Hummers living in a 16x80 single wide. Wierd.

corey4671
04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
dont know, you forgot to add::
1. do you do like the neighbor?
2. is it a 1 mile drive or 10 miles? to get there?
3. is it in a place you wanto grow?
4. if only a couple cuts compaired to a season of cutting then price should be almost doubled.
if i did theneighbor i would charge $40.
1 mile away i would charge 45.
10 miles away like 80.
just a couple cuts and i did the neighbor 80.
10 miles for a couple cuts like 100. and if they would be that dumb to pay that i would come and do it.

all valid questions

neighborhood is ok. it IS in the fastest growing part of the county. nice SD's all around it

IF I were to set out from the house to get to this property, 18 miles. however, I already have jobs all around it. Reality no more than 5 miles out of the way.

I will say this..I rarely do many one timers....no that doesn't mean that I don't take one time cuts...It means that I get calls for one timers and more often than not they like what they see and tell me to keep coming back. I'm usually a pretty fair judge of character and integrity. I've been burned enough times in the past to smell a rat and run. This guy didn't come across that way and YES it is a double wide....but that really is not the stereotype that it has been played up to be.

YES...I should've quoted $50 at the MOST...most likely would've gotten too. Like I said earlier..live and learn. If it turns into a regular account with it's fairly close proximity to some of my others jobs...it's not really al that bad of a deal IMO.

jaybow
04-01-2008, 08:44 PM

I would have done it for about $45 myself. Its about $45 an acre where I am at if you want to be competitive.

OUTLANDER
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
$45 is a good bid.....not a difficult yard,i'd say 30 mins. tops, in and out kinda job,pretty flat

cgaengineer
04-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I know what it is...its just that everybody around here just calls it "that purple weed" and it is a pain especially the first mow of the season along walls. ARGH.

Yeah, it paints the walls, fences and foundations of houses green!! Did an estimate today and the ladys yard was full of that crap (But I got the job)

corey4671
04-02-2008, 10:04 PM
ok..it was 45 minutes in and out today. I DID double cut some of it because it was thick in some spots and I just refuse to leave a yard with a ton of thatch on it.

corey4671
04-02-2008, 10:07 PM
and a few more

lawnproslawncare
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Here's what i do for one timmers and same goes to snow plowing accounts:
$0.85 per minute on the stop clock for lawn care and 1.40 per minute for plow jobs.
That way they can't argue about getting charged for an hour when you were there 50 minutes.
And when your there for 1.25 hours your paid for every last bit

corey4671
04-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Here's what i do for one timmers and same goes to snow plowing accounts:
$0.85 per minute on the stop clock for lawn care and 1.40 per minute for plow jobs.
That way they can't argue about getting charged for an hour when you were there 50 minutes.
And when your there for 1.25 hours your paid for every last bit

at your rate I would've gotten 38.25 for this yard which is less than I quoted it for.

Richard Martin
04-03-2008, 05:43 AM
Henbit and Poa. A winning combination for fine yards everywhere.
:):):):):):):):)

David Gretzmier
04-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Looking at the yard I was thinking 75-90 bucks, but only for a 1 timer 15 minute to the job out in the country , special trip kinda thing. if it was 5 minutes away from a job, and no danger of damaging my equipment or thier stuff, then 50 bucks for one guy on a 45minute job with 5 minutes drive time is a reasonable price. sad thing is, that was a reasonable price 10 years ago for one guy, 45 minutes plus 5 minutes drive time...and I got those prices 15 years ago too with my first ZTR...In Arkansas. when gas was a buck a gallon and a nice new ZTR could be had for 6 grand. I wonder why lawn care prices don't seem to be going up ? could it be because people can charge 40 for this and others on this site agree that is ok? I agree this person may have baulked at 75-90 bucks, and then no one makes any money, but as long as good, quality people are willing to do these jobs for 40, then that is what this guy thinks is normal the next time he needs his lawn mowed.

The cut lawn looks great, and I hope it leads to more work. Please, guys, charge more, you're the same folks on other threads who say they are not making enough money.

mhussey
04-03-2008, 07:17 AM
I don't think your in the wrong Corey. That's about the going rate. I would have went $45 on that. A lot of times I price something out like that so I can hopefully get that lawn for the year. Don't want to gouge them and leave a bad taste in their mouth. If they don't call you back so what, hopefully they will talk to other people saying what you mowed and at what price. Let the customers do some networking for you. It's worked for me a lot of times.

Oh yea, the lawn looked great when done Corey. Nice job.

Richard Martin
04-03-2008, 07:04 PM
could it be because people can charge 40 for this and others on this site agree that is ok?

Let me give you an idea of what some of us are up against on pricing. Last year one of my 80+ foot tall Pines died from an attack of Pine Beetles. A guy stopped by my house and offered to cut the tree down, haul it and all of the mess off and grind the stump for $225.

Some of us are pushing the limits on pricing. I get 2 out of 5 that I give a price on. The markets simply will not support any higher pricing. You can beat people up on lower pricing all day long but if people won't pay it then it's pointless.

lawnwizards
04-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Let me give you an idea of what some of us are up against on pricing. Last year one of my 80+ foot tall Pines died from an attack of Pine Beetles. A guy stopped by my house and offered to cut the tree down, haul it and all of the mess off and grind the stump for $225.

Some of us are pushing the limits on pricing. I get 2 out of 5 that I give a price on. The markets simply will not support any higher pricing. You can beat people up on lower pricing all day long but if people won't pay it then it's pointless.
WOW!. around here you'd be lucky to have an 8 foot tree taken out for that price. lol

corey4671
04-03-2008, 10:13 PM
by the way I forgot to mention. Check was stuck to the inside of the back door with a magnet. Don't have to worry about chasing my money down. I left one of my magnet business cards there with his magnet when I left.