PDA

View Full Version : Little Help

coxlandscaping
03-31-2008, 11:30 PM
I need some help my guys were doing some work at one of our new customers they have some outdoor lighting (odl) well lights to be exact. They said when putting rock down in the landscape the hit the light anyway the wire had broken from a little electrode that has Dye Tco on it and itís just down from were the wire connects to the lamp. Iím used to vista lights but I have not seen this done before granted we donít do a lot of lighting so what do I need to do to fix this.:confused:

Nathan

Chris J
03-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Sounds like an in-line fuse or a heat sensor. Nightscaping I believe uses these heat sensors with their fixtures to cut power if the fixture is generating too much heat. I'd try to contact a Nightscaping rep (or maybe a local contractor) and see if you can get your hands on one. There simple to install; just cut the old one off and splice in the new one.

coxlandscaping
04-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks Chris I had no idea what it was

Nathan

pete scalia
04-01-2008, 12:30 AM
cut it off and dispose of and wire up like any other wellight.

coxlandscaping
04-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Pete if this thing is a heat sensor would the lamp not over heat with out it. I know vista don’t use it but not knowing how this is system is wired I don’t want to burn the light up of course I will test it.

JoeyD
04-01-2008, 10:32 AM
It is there in case excessive heat builds up due to being covered up. Most of the time they dont work or they fail prematurley.

extlights
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I agree, just cut it off and wire it up. Those things are a service nightmare. We had a homeowner call us because half of his lights weren't working for quite some time and he couldn't get the company that installed them out there. There were 10-12 well lights with those thermal things on them and all of them failed. Power to the sensor, but nothing after it. We cut them off and wired everything up...checked all the voltages and all is good. No problems since, and we now have ourselves a new maintenance plan customer.

coxlandscaping
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I believe the reason these things are on there anyway is I just now had a chance to look this thing over they have used a 18/2 pigtail out of the well light.

Chris J
04-01-2008, 03:57 PM
There is nothing wrong with an 18/2 pigtail. Most fixtures (with the exception of those with 25' leads) are going to have 18/2 leads. This just means that the installation is probably not on hubs. It will probabably be daisy chained or T'd.

JoeyD
04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
or they just used a crappy 1141 18w Par lamp.