PDA

View Full Version : How much grease in rear wheels?

thechevyman
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
I just bought a 2006 Scag Walk Behind belt drive. It only has about 30 hours on it and looks like new. They guy I bought it from had never done any maintenance to it yet because of the little use it got.

I have done all the routine maintenace on it but when I greased the rear wheels no grease ever came out of the hub.

I mean I pumped my "large" grease gun at least 40 times on each of the rear wheels and nothing on the inside or outside of the wheel hub. How dry could these things be? How much grease do they hold? Am I going to blow a seal or something if I put any more grease in there?

With any other WB I had in the past the grease would come out the outside of the hub and that was how I knew it was full.

What do you all think?

Indy Kyle
03-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Keep pumpin dude. If it's not giving you much resistance keep it coming. But you might want to get a second opinion.

02DURAMAX
03-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Yea I aslo would like to know how much grease you put in them..On my old scag i could never get grease to come out...and on the two new one I got like sixty pumps in there and still no grease comes out of them...and i don't feel like putting a tube in each wheel..

thechevyman
04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Bump....

Any ideas about this disappearing grease?

Runner
04-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Yep. Check BEHIND the wheel (in the center), and if there is no grease,...keep on pumping. you want those hubs filled up until grease oozes out. you only have to do this once. After that, each greasing will only take a few short squirts if greased on a regular basis.

1999frontier
04-01-2008, 09:05 AM
How often should you grease all the grease points?

Nosmo
04-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Check your manual -- if no manual then do it frequently . Just to be safe do it weekly. Tubes of grease are much cheaper than worn parts.

Nosmo

grass_cuttin_fool
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
heheheh yep last time I checked grease was cheaper and easier than replacing metal

wayne

thechevyman
04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
How much grease will these rear wheel hubs hold. I am going to go pickup a couple large tubes.

I bought this mower used and there has obviously never been any grease in these rear wheels! It is a 2006 with about 30 hours on it. Do you think there has been any damage done to the wheel bearings?

thechevyman
04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I got out my air power grease gun and got my rear wheel hubs filled.

Took about a large tube and a half to finish the job. I used the Lucas red and tacky grease. I could not believe how much greas those rear wheels held.