PDA

View Full Version : My Quick 44 Samurai Story

DoktorCorb
04-01-2008, 12:02 AM
My Quick 44 Samurai Story. (The attached PDF is the same story with pictures.)

Although this is a story about a mower named "Quick", the story itself is anything but...fair warning. I just wanted to give a full account of what one guy experienced in his dealings with Better Outdoor Products (BOP) so that everyone could read this and perhaps have a little more information on which to base a decision.

First, a little about my situation: I am not a lawn care professional, and I am a novice when it comes to mechanics. Iím an acreage owner, and it seems like I learn a little every day about what it takes to live out here. I have about 2 acres to mow. For the last four years, through most of last season, I used an old Ariens EZRider 1540...15hp Briggs/40 inch deck. Nice little machine, but not made for what I was putting it through. The deck finally fell apart at the end of last season...a couple of "mows" before the grass stopped growing.

So I was now in the market for a new mower and I began weighing options over the winter. I decided that I wanted one that was commercial grade and would stand up to my large lawn. I also wanted a walk-behind. Iím a big fan of accomplishing two things at once, and with a walk-behind, I figured I could mow my lawn and get some exercise at the same time. (The wisdom of this line of thinking is a topic for another time...)

My search led me to an eXmark Walk-Behind. Great mower, and I loved the ECS, but I just couldnít quite justify the price for the Hydro (virtually the same price as a rider...close to 6k). The belt-driven ones were more in my price range, but the hydro drive was an important feature to me. And, I just couldnít seem to find anyone in Nebraska willing to part with a used one with a reasonable number of hours on it. (Used mowers kind of scare me a little anyway.) I had just about decided to go to an auction and pick up an old cheap junker that might have a good chance of making it through one season, and Iíd revisit the issue next summer when Iíd saved a few more pennies.

But on Saturday, March 22nd, I happened across some posts on this site mentioning "BOP" and "Quick" in a favorable light. After a little Google-ing, I found http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com. Now here was a commercial grade walk-behind for HALF the cost of that eXmark. More reading...more thinking. BOPís web site was unique in that it gave specific instructions with photos on how to do nearly every kind of maintenance or repair to the Quick that you would typically do. Being such a novice at these things, I really liked that. Those instructions were also a great way to see exactly how the mower was put together. I gave Tommy & Co. a call on Monday. In the end, in addition to the low price, what it came down to was that more than a few guys on this website rely on Quick mowers to make their living. I figured if the Quick was good enough for them, it was good enough for me. And so, on Monday, March 24th, I placed my order:

Quick 44 Samurai (w/ free Full Service Kit)
Landscaper Pro Pack

I placed my order over the web, and then called them just a few minutes after Iíd completed it. I wanted to verify exactly where the mower was going to end up. A very nice lady (Kim?) from BOP pulled up my order, gave me a choice of terminals to which the mower would be shipped, and then noted my choice on the order.

On Tuesday, March 25th, I received an e-mail from BOP, saying that my Quick 44 Samurai was scheduled to leave the dock that day. Included was the name of the carrier, the contact information for the terminal, and a tracking number. The engine kit was on backorder and would be shipped later to my home, but everything else was in the crate. It was scheduled to arrive Thursday, March 27th. Cool!

On Thursday morning, I logged on to the FedEx tracking site and saw that my new Samurai had arrived and was waiting for me!! I gave the Service Center a call and they confirmed that it was ready for pickup. If I could be there before 6:30pm, theyíd have a forklift ready to load it into my truck. By the way, this turned out to be a very long day at the office. :-)

After work, I drove to FedEx and picked up the crate. I was looking for dents or other abuse to the crate that would indicate a rough transport. None of this was present. The box was in good shape. It was also larger (wider) than I expected it to be. It barely fit in the back of my pickup. My truck has one of those drop-in bed-liners and that is probably the reason for the tight fit. Just be sure that a full-width pickup is the smallest truck you bring to pick up your Quick. :-)

Got it home safely. I didnít have the equipment necessary to get the crate out of my pickup, so I just started unpacking it while it was still in the truck. No problems here. Lots of staples. The cardboard box came off easily after the four wooden corner posts were removed.

The accessories that I ordered with the mower came all boxed up. The blades, kits, etc. were packed inside the grass catcher. The free T-shirt is awesome!

Hooked up the handlebars. I recommend you get a friend to help you do this -- just like it says so in the little letter they write to you.

At this point, it was getting cold and dark and time to call it a day, and I went out Friday night so the Quick would have to wait until Saturday to roar. :-)

Saturday. Got up early and unloaded the Quick from the back of my pickup. Very easy. Just put 'er in "Easy to Roll Around" mode, disengage the brake, and roll it down the ramps. I connected the battery ground cables, put in some gas and fired it up. And it fired right up. No excessive cranking or anything. Iím used to the sound of an old Briggs motor, and the Kawasaki purrs like a kitten in comparison.

The way that the blades engage on the Quick is awesome. My old mower had an electromagnetic "clutch" that, when activated, would slam two plates together and start turning the pulley that drove the mower belt. It was a sudden transfer of power that pulled the engine down until the blades got up to speed. The Quick has a more sophisticated clutch that brings the plates together slower, and the whole blade engagement process is very smooth and efficient. When the blades are spinning at top speed, you know the Quick is ready for business. I have read some complaints that the Quick vibrates more than other mowers. I did not find this to be the case at all. I thought the Quick was very smooth

I spent the next half hour "practicing" -- driving the Quick around to get a feel for how it handles and how to steer it. Iíve heard people say that it is very similar to steering a shopping cart, and I would agree. Although, I think it would be helpful to describe how the mower handles in specific situations.

1. Regular mowing: Very, very easy to control. In fact, I would say that the Quick is easier to control for your regular mowing than a lot of the dual hydro machines out there, simply because thereís only one throttle to worry about. Just point and go. If you need to adjust the direction slightly just push it in the direction you want to go, and you really donít have to push that hard at all. It is easier than turning a full shopping cart.

2. Cornering and 180į turns: Again, very easy. Here it helps if you remember that youíre dealing with a differential. Think of a car when it gets stuck and just one wheel spins. Youíre basically trying to create that situation. One way that this can be accomplished simply by pulling back on the handlebar on the side youíre turning toward. This will put extra stress on that side, and the differential will transfer the power to the other side, turning the mower. For a 180į, just hold on a little longer. The only warning I would give here is to be careful when you spin to the right. That is the side of the throttle. If youíre not careful, when you pull back on that side, youíll also squeeze the throttle, and instead of a nice slow controlled 180į, youíll whip around fast! I am now working on the "art" of holding the throttle with my index finger while I grip the handle with my other three in this situation. Alternatively, you can push on the other side, or do a combination of both. The whole cornering and 180į thing does take some practice, but it is not hard, and before you know it, youíll be flipping the Quick around without thinking about what youíre doing.

3. Backing up. I thought this would be more difficult that it is. Itís actually very natural to adjust your handle slightly and push your thumb down to back up the Quick. Bravo to BOP on the design of the throttle.

4. Up and down hills: The Quick handles these very easily. It will crawl right up a hill with no problem, and it is easy to control the Quick going down hills due to the natural braking of the hydro.

5. Mowing a side slope: This is the one area that required more physical effort. When you mow a side slope, there is naturally more weight/pressure/torque on the "bottom" or "downhill" wheel. Because of this the differential will transfer the power to the up hill wheel, and the thing really wants to just turn and go down hill on you. You have to counter this manually to keep the Quick in a straight line. I donít know if this is even possible, but if BOP could find some way to put a button or something for the operator to easily lock and unlock the differential, this problem might be minimized. (I gave Tommy at BOP a call and asked him about this and he didnít indicate that any changes were in the works for this, so for now, weíll all have to be content with bigger biceps that will probably result from operating the Quick on side slopes.)

6. Around trees: This is one of the main reasons I went with a walk-behind. I have a lot of pine trees on my place, and the walk-behind allows me to mow close to the trees without brushing up against them. It was easy to approach the tree at full speed, slow down as I got close, back up, go to one side and repeat. The Quickís throttle design works well in this situation. For regular trees with a 2-3 foot circle of mulch around them, you can just mow a complete circle. Itís easy to control the Quick and run the left edge of the deck along the edge of the circle of mulch.

As far as the quality of cut, the grass has not started growing here in Nebraska yet, so I couldnít really get a good idea. I did take it out into the part of my property that I donít mow, and it went through that tough grass (hay?) out there very easily at top speed.

After mowing, I took the belt guard off. To do this, you need to remove the two "hand screws" holding it on, as well as at least one of the supporting bars that runs from the main frame the caster wheels. The bar is removed with another one of those "hand screws". A quick shot of compressed air cleaned out the pulley assembly.

In other photos Iíve seen, and even in person, that black plastic belt guard looked a little cheap, but after taking it off, I no longer feel that way. The whole thing is quarter-inch think molded plastic. I should hold up nicely, and since itís plastic, it wonít get bent like a metal one might.

Again, these are all first impressions, but all in all, I am very happy with the whole experience so far. BOP provides great service, quick delivery, and a quality product at an unbeatable price. I cannot wait until the grass starts growing and I can mow for real.

Valk
04-01-2008, 12:22 AM
:walking: Yup! :walking:

greengiant9963
04-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Wow that was informative to say the least. Goodluck with your new mower.

South Florida Lawns
04-01-2008, 02:19 AM
I love how you go into detail about everything.

Raven386
04-01-2008, 02:23 AM
wow. I think he deserves to be on that most helpful list ! welcome to LawnSite Doktor!

RM n WS
04-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Wow! That's the most honest review I think I ever read, Thank's! You should become the the official demo writer for lawnsite.

JTF40
04-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Since I have been "shopping" on Lawnsite for the last month or so for a hydro WB, I am sold on the Quick Samurai 44" machine. The positive reviews out-weigh the negatives by FAR - whether is customer service from BOP, American made machines, and PRICE. This review has sold me. I WILL be purchasing one in the next two weeks or so. As I get older (44), I have been hard to satisfy and critical (I'm workin' on that). If BOP delivers all that I have read, I'll be the first to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks Doktor !!!!!

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I feel like i own that mower now after reading your post!! Thanks, that was very informative.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Wow, somebody has a lot of time on their hands! :laugh:

tallimeca
04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
5. Mowing a side slope: This is the one area that required more physical effort. When you mow a side slope, there is naturally more weight/pressure/torque on the "bottom" or "downhill" wheel. Because of this the differential will transfer the power to the up hill wheel, and the thing really wants to just turn and go down hill on you. You have to counter this manually to keep the Quick in a straight line. I donít know if this is even possible, but if BOP could find some way to put a button or something for the operator to easily lock and unlock the differential, this problem might be minimized. (I gave Tommy at BOP a call and asked him about this and he didnít indicate that any changes were in the works for this, so for now, weíll all have to be content with bigger biceps that will probably result from operating the Quick on side slopes.)

Biggest gripe on these machines, as well as the Billygoat and Troybilt/Cub/Sears units. The Belt drive commercial machine is well worth the money just because of this. With the commercial, you control each wheel. You can literally run one across the hill with one hand.

The Quick machines are great for a guy like you, a land owner or weekend warrior. They have no place on a trailer of a guy cutting every day.

stbentoak
04-01-2008, 02:57 PM
The Quick machines are great for a guy like you, a land owner or weekend warrior. They have no place on a trailer of a guy cutting every day.

I bet that remark will get a few responses !!!!!

Frue
04-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Biggest gripe on these machines, as well as the Billygoat and Troybilt/Cub/Sears units. The Belt drive commercial machine is well worth the money just because of this. With the commercial, you control each wheel. You can literally run one across the hill with one hand.

ouch dont hurt em talimeca.

JTF40
04-01-2008, 04:30 PM

.....And what kind of mowers do you play with? I don't see any listed? Have you EVER operated a BOP product? I seriously doubt it. I've never been behind a BOP product either. But, based on the input on this website and the BBB, I'm sold.

DON'T BAD-MOUTH OTHER PEOPLE'S PROPERTY. :hammerhead:

If you have HONESTLY operated this machine, I gladly stand corrected. :usflag:

DoktorCorb
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Since I have been "shopping" on Lawnsite for the last month or so for a hydro WB, I am sold on the Quick Samurai 44" machine. The positive reviews out-weigh the negatives by FAR - whether is customer service from BOP, American made machines, and PRICE. This review has sold me. I WILL be purchasing one in the next two weeks or so. As I get older (44), I have been hard to satisfy and critical (I'm workin' on that). If BOP delivers all that I have read, I'll be the first to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks Doktor !!!!!

This was pretty much my situation. After learning about BOP from this site, and then being treated so well by them, the least I could do was give back with a little story telling. Again...I'm just one guy and by no means a pro, but I do mow a fair amount of grass and now I'm very much looking forward to it this year with my new Quick.

BUCKEYE MOWING
04-01-2008, 07:48 PM
The Quick machines are great for a guy like you, a land owner or weekend warrior. They have no place on a trailer of a guy cutting every day.[/QUOTE]

While I respect your right to have an opinion....Have you ever used a Quick ?
I have run two units for over two years each at more than 30 hours a week per machine....and I have changed 1 belt....

They may take a little more effort on a sidehill,(in most cases you can change how you approach the hill) But the cut quality and price and dependability far out weigh that. So, if you have used one and that's your opinion , so be it. But if not and your making blanket statements about equipment that you have never touched ..It just wrong IMHO...

It's the Internet and to each his own , but we are here to ask questions, get help and help others ...Not just trash equipment and offer statements with no basis.

I support BOP and use their equipment along with a few other brands ,so I speak from experience. It's top notch stuff that's user friendly and backed by tremendous customer support . It's AMERICAN made at a fair price. I am not here to start a war...rather I want people to make educated choices about what they purchase and what companies they choose to support. Not be mislead and confused by Internet "experts"

:drinkup:

Lawn Enforcer
04-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the review!

deere615
04-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow, good review I am glad you are happy

Yerkz
04-02-2008, 10:04 PM
I also have a 44" Samurai and have had a diffrent experience. I got it 2 weeks ago and have used it twice so far. Also got the step saver, grass catcher and mulch kit.

Machine was easy to assemble and start up with ease. Runs great, sounds great and leaves a nice lookin cut. The issues I am having involve the following:

-Pistol grips are very strenuous on the hands. I only mow one 1/2 acre lawn a day, but when I get done I am wore out. Also the grip pads slide down every time you make a 180 turn.

- Making turns on the step saver is alot more work than I thought it would be. You shouldn't be sweating when mowing and it is 50 degrees out.

-Raising the mowing height took me 45 minutes. Grant it this was the first time, but the process was alot of work and very time consuming. I do not cut many lawns, but some are mowed at diffrent heights.

The point to me of commercial equipment is to increase your productivity and in turn make more money. As of right now it takes me longer to mow my own lawn with the Quick 44 than it did with my 42" craftsman lawn tractor. I am cutting my lawn again tomorrow and will see how it goes, but as of right now I plan on sending it back.

I talked to a dealer today and he has a 23hp, 48" Toro commercial ZTR for $4,500 that I am going to demo and see how that goes. I guess the WB mowers are not what I thought it to be. If you are actually going to walk and not use a sulky then the mower is great, but for my needs walking is not the way to go. It is not because I am lazy or even out of shape it just does not seem like it is worth all the trouble compared to the ZTR's that are out there for not much more money.

S man
04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Nice pdf on your story. It makes me want to get one. But I like going to my dealer if something breaks so no quick for me.

ed2hess
04-02-2008, 10:21 PM
They may take a little more effort on a sidehill,(in most cases you can change how you approach the hill) But the cut quality and price and dependability far out weigh that. So, if you have used one and that's your opinion , so be it. But if not and your making blanket statements about equipment that you have never touched ..It just wrong IMHO...
:drinkup:
Don't take this stuff so personal.....that type of drive has been around for a long time and don't work on slopes. I mowed a large run-off pit today that was about 25 feet deep with sides that were about 45 degrees. All total it took me three hours with a 36" dual hydro sapper WB. I can assure you that you would not have done this job with a single hydro. And in addition if you ran these single hydro units 6 hours a day for a full time you would not be so happy.....holding those handles and turning the machine is no picnic. I talked with a guy at our dealer that has the single hydro Ferris(close to your unit) and he is finished with it after two years.....tallimec has it right this time.

Alta Lawn Care
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
-Pistol grips are very strenuous on the hands. I only mow one 1/2 acre lawn a day, but when I get done I am wore out. Also the grip pads slide down every time you make a 180 turn.

Yerkz,

My Quick 36 had the same problem. Everything I read said use hairspray, bull semen, or Gorilla glue. I used the Gorilla glue and it's worked so far but it was because I had it on hand. I've only tested it for about a month, just so you know. (April fools on the bull semen!)

Adam

jbannick18
04-02-2008, 10:47 PM
nvm i did misread, glad your happy with bop

Howard Roark
04-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Don't take this stuff so personal.....that type of drive has been around for a long time and don't work on slopes. I mowed a large run-off pit today that was about 25 feet deep with sides that were about 45 degrees. All total it took me three hours with a 36" dual hydro sapper WB. I can assure you that you would not have done this job with a single hydro. And in addition if you ran these single hydro units 6 hours a day for a full time you would not be so happy.....holding those handles and turning the machine is no picnic. I talked with a guy at our dealer that has the single hydro Ferris(close to your unit) and he is finished with it after two years.....tallimec has it right this time.

I would simply have to agree with BUCKEYE, and no ED, tallimeca's comment is not rational in this case. A single hydro may not be your best bet if you mow slopes ALL DAY long, but his comment of "not belonging in the trailer of someone who does this all day long" is simply ridiculous, and shows his ( and ultimately YOURS ED for your constant bashing of this machine) jealousy and unknown fear. Ed are you telling me your poor employees can't stand those massive "hills" :laugh: in Scofield with single hydro?

Now, I understand HIS fear, and he's an Exmark dealer. But why you Ed? What's your problem? All of the machines you use are at least 200 lbs heavier than the Quicks. The Quick leaves as good if not a better cut, can get over any curb, the side of A/C units, tree roots, whatever due to it's lightweight. And I assure you it takes as good a beating as anything you've got. If you run into Sh*t that badly you shouldn't be in biz, or should find new employees.

But to you both Ed and Tallimeca, I can assure you there are quite a few people who have very flush bank accounts thanks to the Quick mowers, despite you both in your jealousy continuing to bash these mowers despite I'm assuming ever seeing, or using one for even one lawn, let alone a day. Tallimeca, our 2 man crews mow over 30 lawns per day with our Quicks. At an average of 8 hour day and $31 per lawn, you do the math. Would they all love to buy a more expensive belt drive or dual hydro with my money from you? Sure they would! But they sure as hell ain't complaining now, nor are our customers. The only one who benefits from that decision is YOU.

Now I will give you one thing. If I were mowing steep angles side to side all day, yes, I would get tired. But don't be so foolish as to post a comment bashing this machine simply because of it's one possible downfall in your example of what would be extreme applications. Why is it you're both so scared anyway?

Folks, you can believe the scared nay-sayers, or you can try the Quick which offers a full trial. Try that at your dealer. :usflag:

Howard Roark
04-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I also have a 44" Samurai and have had a diffrent experience. I got it 2 weeks ago and have used it twice so far. Also got the step saver, grass catcher and mulch kit.

Machine was easy to assemble and start up with ease. Runs great, sounds great and leaves a nice lookin cut. The issues I am having involve the following:

- Making turns on the step saver is alot more work than I thought it would be. You shouldn't be sweating when mowing and it is 50 degrees out.

-Raising the mowing height took me 45 minutes. Grant it this was the first time, but the process was alot of work and very time consuming. I do not cut many lawns, but some are mowed at diffrent heights.

The point to me of commercial equipment is to increase your productivity and in turn make more money. As of right now it takes me longer to mow my own lawn with the Quick 44 than it did with my 42" craftsman lawn tractor. I am cutting my lawn again tomorrow and will see how it goes, but as of right now I plan on sending it back.

I talked to a dealer today and he has a 23hp, 48" Toro commercial ZTR for $4,500 that I am going to demo and see how that goes. I guess the WB mowers are not what I thought it to be. If you are actually going to walk and not use a sulky then the mower is great, but for my needs walking is not the way to go. It is not because I am lazy or even out of shape it just does not seem like it is worth all the trouble compared to the ZTR's that are out there for not much more money.

Yerkz,

All I can say is if raising the mower height took you 45 minutes, you would be at about 42 minutes OVER the mower height change of the average Quick user. Did you not read the manual? Please SIMPLY call BOP and they can go over how easy this process is.

Also sorry to hear about you still not "getting" the step saver, but I would encourage you to keep trying. We us it all day in St. Augustine Grass (very high Southern Turf) with no problems at all.

I would also encourage you to search Gary's post to the gentleman who bought the Quick without ever owning a walk behind, returned it, and after trying others re-bought it! Very informative.

Best Wishes

Howard Roark
04-03-2008, 12:05 AM
As for those not liking the hand grips that come stock on the Quicks....

Neither do I! That's why I go to Walmart or wherever and get a $4 pair of BMX grips. Spray your wife's (girlfriend's, whatever's ) hairspray into em', put them on and in 24 hrs you won't be able to move them.

Done.

Whitey4
04-03-2008, 12:07 AM

It has a place on my trailer. One, I have no hills to speak of, and that is the only real legit negative on the Quicks. Blet drives aren;t ANYWHERE near as manueverable as the single hydro quick, although I admit to only having opertated my 32 Quick and the Scag 32, but there is NO comparison! That Scag is a hand killer, and doing 180's is impossible. The Quick is easy on the hands, and I can spin it around in a 360 if I want to.

Yes, I cut every day. Have you ever used one? I already know the answer. No, you haven't. If you were being objective, you wouls at least admit to this.

ed2hess
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I would simply have to agree with BUCKEYE, and no ED, tallimeca's comment is not rational in this case. A single hydro may not be your best bet if you mow slopes ALL DAY long, but his comment of "not belonging in the trailer of someone who does this all day long" is simply ridiculous, and shows his ( and ultimately YOURS ED for your constant bashing of this machine) jealousy and unknown fear. Ed are you telling me your poor employees can't stand those massive "hills" :laugh: in Scofield with single hydro?

Now, I understand HIS fear, and he's an Exmark dealer. But why you Ed? What's your problem? All of the machines you use are at least 200 lbs heavier than the Quicks. The Quick leaves as good if not a better cut, can get over any curb, the side of A/C units, tree roots, whatever due to it's lightweight. And I assure you it takes as good a beating as anything you've got. If you run into Sh*t that badly you shouldn't be in biz, or should find new employees.

But to you both Ed and Tallimeca, I can assure you there are quite a few people who have very flush bank accounts thanks to the Quick mowers, despite you both in your jealousy continuing to bash these mowers despite I'm assuming ever seeing, or using one for even one lawn, let alone a day. Tallimeca, our 2 man crews mow over 30 lawns per day with our Quicks. At an average of 8 hour day and $31 per lawn, you do the math. Would they all love to buy a more expensive belt drive or dual hydro with my money from you? Sure they would! But they sure as hell ain't complaining now, nor are our customers. The only one who benefits from that decision is YOU.

Now I will give you one thing. If I were mowing steep angles side to side all day, yes, I would get tired. But don't be so foolish as to post a comment bashing this machine simply because of it's one possible downfall in your example of what would be extreme applications. Why is it you're both so scared anyway?

Folks, you can believe the scared nay-sayers, or you can try the Quick which offers a full trial. Try that at your dealer. :usflag:

Actually Howard I have been wanting to come up and see your operation and how they worked out after a couple years use. The low price is interesting for crews but......I ran the first Troy Bilt when it came out and the first year was great the second was good and for there on I had to carry an extra unit all the time. And since I was the guy in the field at that time those handles grips tore my hands and turnnig was no picnic. I have been talkingto the guys who bought the Ferris single and use it constantly and one out of two wasn't a happy camper....turning not good. Price on the snapper dual just came down.......getting close to your unit but jury out on it since it kinda a new design. Not ready to drink the Quick Kool Aid unit.

Yerkz
04-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Yerkz,

All I can say is if raising the mower height took you 45 minutes, you would be at about 42 minutes OVER the mower height change of the average Quick user. Did you not read the manual? Please SIMPLY call BOP and they can go over how easy this process is.

Also sorry to hear about you still not "getting" the step saver, but I would encourage you to keep trying. We us it all day in St. Augustine Grass (very high Southern Turf) with no problems at all.

I having gotten the hang of using the step saver, but am not happy with the amount of physical work it takes to make a 180 on this mower. Keep in mind I have a 44" cut. I will be mowing my yard tomorrow which is the thickest lawn you'll ever see so It presents a good challenge for making turns and I will see how that goes.

As far as changing the deck height you have to admit it is a pain in the a** compared to simply pushing in a button and raising or lowering a arm. Not everybody carries around jackstands. I had to use 2x4's to prop up the front which wasn't to bad, but the back of the deck was alot worse. It should get easier the next time, but still not ideal.

Howard Roark
04-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Actually Howard I have been wanting to come up and see your operation and how they worked out after a couple years use. The low price is interesting for crews but......I ran the first Troy Bilt when it came out and the first year was great the second was good and for there on I had to carry an extra unit all the time. And since I was the guy in the field at that time those handles grips tore my hands and turnnig was no picnic. I have been talkingto the guys who bought the Ferris single and use it constantly and one out of two wasn't a happy camper....turning not good. Price on the snapper dual just came down.......getting close to your unit but jury out on it since it kinda a new design. Not ready to drink the Quick Kool Aid unit.

Ed,

That's somewhat understandable, but you mentioned two units that were not BOP products, although I do understand you being reluctant, just as I would be buying another ...ahem...26" mower.

We as Quick owners have given nothing but unsolicited, honest advice (I speak for the ones I know on here) based on our experience with our machines, the unbelievable ease of working on them and reliability, as well as the second-to-none customer service we have received from BOP.

As well, many of the people who just can't see having a Quick mower, have been with Scag, Wright, or whomever all of their career. Does this mean these mowers are bad? Absolutely not! The question is...are they overkill for some companies in their everyday use? Perhaps.

Does an an anesthesiologist give more drugs to his patients than needed? Or does he give just the right amount? (Or at least supposed to!). The fact is, more could kill the patient (or profits of a business). Now, they don't necessarily deal in averages in a medical environment. But why not take our business more seriously? Do we really need 620 lbs mowers built like fort knox to mow 3200 main street? No, we need "just enough" weight on our machines that they will withstand constant mowing at 3200 Main Street, and others just like it, week after week, year after year, at a reasonable cost with minimal maintenance unless we really screw up in which it was our fault as with any mower. Importantly, we need productivity and quality of cut.

On this website, I would guess that the average visitor mows less than 1/4 of the lawns you and I do each week Ed. And with BOP's awesome service and customer relationship (something you may have seen gone away in Austin some time ago) I don't even go to a dealer anymore unless I have to.

Being self employed allows one many benefits. You can run your business anyway you prefer. If you can run yours profitably with an Exmark, have at it. With a Toro, go for it. If the Quick just isn't for you and your everyday ops, that's ok too. Let's just not be oblivious to the fact that it has a MAJOR following for a reason.

I would simply suggest to all to keep their minds open, stay out of the lawn care "box", and to constantly strive to be like BOP. Innovators who are creating their own destiny.

As for as the Quick being "MY" unit...I wish! But despite my pleading to Gary he just won't put me in his profit sharing program. Nor will he adopt me.

Howard Roark
04-03-2008, 12:51 AM
I having gotten the hang of using the step saver, but am not happy with the amount of physical work it takes to make a 180 on this mower. Keep in mind I have a 44" cut. I will be mowing my yard tomorrow which is the thickest lawn you'll ever see so It presents a good challenge for making turns and I will see how that goes.

As far as changing the deck height you have to admit it is a pain in the a** compared to simply pushing in a button and raising or lowering a arm. Not everybody carries around jackstands. I had to use 2x4's to prop up the front which wasn't to bad, but the back of the deck was alot worse. It should get easier the next time, but still not ideal.

In all honestly Yerkz I don't own a 44 as every property we service in Austin, TX has a gate that won't allow it. Therefore I will bow out of this particular discussion, having assumed that it was the same deck change as the 36.

BUCKEYE MOWING can give you better tips than anyone as I believe he is one of the original owners of a 44 and has used them quite a bit.

Hope it works out!

QualityLawnCare4u
04-03-2008, 12:52 AM
I have to commend you on one very well descriptive post of your experience. As good as any I have read thus far.