PDA

View Full Version : do you guys were hearing proctection??? what kind?

grassman177
04-01-2008, 02:05 AM
hey all.

i was wondering if most of you use and encourage hearing protection for you and your crews. i am the only one that uses it in our company. i have to, the ringing in my ears is sort of permanent from many years ago running without and louder machines.

i use these soft rubber plugs i got from a rep at the trade show, cant remember the name but i will find out if you guys care. they heat form to your ear canal each and every time to provide a better fit and seal. they are more comfortable than the other rubber plugs due to this i can tell you.

do most of you wear them, when do you and what brand/type do you wear.????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
i use them for shrub trimming, line trimming, chain sawing and mowing. other than that , well most all the time when running power equipment
we only require safely glasses and boots, oh and our uniform of course:)

IN2MOWN
04-01-2008, 08:18 AM
I just use the soft foam plugs that you scrunch up and they expand in your ear. I also have lost hearing from the machines but I have noticed since I started to use them years ago I dont have the headaches I used to get and my hearing has leveled off.

I recommend them to EVERYONE.

jaybird24
04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Yes- we make everyone wear them. We have all kinds of samples that we get from a safety supplier here and the guys try them out and we get whatever they like, even if it 5 different boxes. Most, including me like the soft foam plugs, but some use the ear muffs.

ProStreetCamaro
04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Elvex relax Com-75. Peltors dont even come close. You get what you pay for holds true for hearing protectors. I like to listen to the radio when I work. Makes the day go by faster.

The Brad
04-01-2008, 09:48 AM
We use the ear muff style with AM/FM radio great hearing protection and gives you something to listen to. great for large lawns, I would go crazy without them.

rodfather
04-01-2008, 09:54 AM
i require ALL of my employees to wear some type of hearing protection...this isn't something that is up for debate :nono:

Reassurance Property
04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
All of my guys wear hearing protection and eye protection. That is a must! I use the husqvarna digital AM/FM headphones. They are the best. My guys get stihl headphones or plugs if they want them. Husqvarna has a new headset out that has a bluetooth in it. Looks pretty cool. Anyone know how much they cost?

hackitdown
04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
I use WorkTunes I got at Home Cheapo. I will not work without them. I velcro a huge straw cowboy hat to the top to block the sun. I look like the newest member of the Village People, but it works for me.

I require helpers to wear glasses, hearing protection and boots. I supply the ear plugs, and I have some old sets of muffs if they prefer those.

LawnMastersTx
04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I found these green plugs at Home Depot that work great. Easy to just put in and I dont have to roll them like the other ones. What is also nice is that it keeps a lot of dirt out of your ears.

LawnTamer
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Didn't use to use hearing protection:hammerhead: Now I always do. I like the noise blocking marshmallow earbuds/sparkplugs, I use them with the ipod, seems about the same as earmuffs. If I am doing something really noisy, I will wear both. Wearing both, (marshmallow earbuds and earmuffs), I kid you not, I have to look at the exhaust, or feel a mower to see if it is running, even a big mower.:laugh:

chammons
04-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Marshmellow earbuds but instead of ipod...I plug them into my phone (music and handsfree) Seems to be a good combination for me.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I, too, subscribe to the doubling up method. I use a set of Peltor 30dB reduction muffs and then Koss Plugs with my MP3 player.

Noise reduction is terrific - though taking the gear off when someone wants to talk can get annoying...

MJS
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Yep I always wear marshmellow earbuds or the like when running any power equipment. It just seemed like common sense when I started, and I haven't stopped since. When people tell me that they don't need them, my question is always "What's it gonna hurt?".

haha plus that I play the drums, so earplugs are always handy.

Valk
04-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Marshmellow earbuds but instead of ipod...I plug them into my phone (music and handsfree) Seems to be a good combination for me.

Where do you keep your phone so that sweat/dust/dirt do not ruin it?

lawnboyoung
04-01-2008, 02:48 PM
nope never have probably should.i got a friend in the bid that has high tone deafness from lawns.

gandk06
04-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't on every lawn. But anytime I will be in one spot for any lenght of time i wear my peltor i3's. They knock out the mower sounds and you can listen to the radio or it has an input for the mp3. I never use the mp3 option because I don't like having any cords out.

Happy Frog
04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
nope never have probably should.i got a friend in the bid that has high tone deafness from lawns.

Go buy yourself some plugs and quit being stupid!
Earring damage is irreversible... It is for the rest of your life. :hammerhead:

Flex-Deck
04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Here is my system

lawnpro724
04-01-2008, 03:54 PM
all the time and same goes for safety glasses.

Ramairfreak98ss
04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Elvex relax Com-75. Peltors dont even come close. You get what you pay for holds true for hearing protectors. I like to listen to the radio when I work. Makes the day go by faster.

I think mine are peltors, $30~ and they reduce by 30db... Ive seen cheaper ones at 20db like at home dePOT. If the elvex are only 25db reduction, how is that so much better? I dont care much about "radio". If im going to listen to something i listen to cd, mp3, satalite sirius etc. And since being used to $100 JVC head phones for years, even my JVC wireless ones cant nearly match them so whats it worth to use am/fm headphones these days?

KrayzKajun
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
i use worktunes!!

ProStreetCamaro
04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I think mine are peltors, $30~ and they reduce by 30db... Ive seen cheaper ones at 20db like at home dePOT. If the elvex are only 25db reduction, how is that so much better? I dont care much about "radio". If im going to listen to something i listen to cd, mp3, satalite sirius etc. And since being used to $100 JVC head phones for years, even my JVC wireless ones cant nearly match them so whats it worth to use am/fm headphones these days?

I have had 2 pairs on peltors and 2 pairs of elvex and one of them is way off on there rateing. The elvex blow away the peltors.

Lawn-Sharks
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Work Tunes!

Ed Ryder
04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I also have ringing in my ears. It is light ringing now. It was worse. I use both ear muffs and ear plugs, and I am very protective of my hearing. I don't want the ringing to get bad again!

grass disaster
04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
what type of elvex are the best(i only need the radio ones)? i really don't care if they are rechargable. i would use rechargable batteries anyway.

i think i'm going to order a pair of those.

grassman177
04-01-2008, 11:47 PM
wow, did not think you all would respond so much to this . i use the howard light brand, but know not the model. i just know they heat form to your ear canal. i think they are not cheap, but i got hand fulls of free samples at the show as i said before. i am glad to see so many supporters of hearing protection. i almost never take off my safety wear.

Chilehead
04-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes, I wear hearing protection whenever I am using power equipment (even indoor tools).

causalitist
04-02-2008, 12:30 AM
silencio magnums ..earmuff style . got em outa a gun catalog.. got sick as hell of the plastic hardware store earmuffs busting in two .. dont mess with plastic, buy some metal band ones for $8 more and have em not bust after 3 months in the sun. quiet as hell too ... it honestly makes the day less stressful for it to be so quiet.. i love the sound of engines but not shitty droning mower engines, more like a yamaha r1 or a f1 car :) .. i can feel it, it will be warm soon

Ted Bell
04-02-2008, 12:53 AM
The ENC Noisecutters are the best I've tried. They are noise cancelling headphones, meaning they have small microphones in the earcups that listen to the incoming sound and then create an exact opposite sound wave to eliminate the noise.

It's amazing how they cut out the low frequency DB from the deck. I have a 60" ZTR.

I got them at http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/noisecutterencsafetyheadset-p-47469.html?cPath=205

02DURAMAX
04-02-2008, 01:39 AM
QuieTunes for me

georgiagrass
04-02-2008, 01:47 AM
I provide Stihl ear muffs for my guys.