PDA

View Full Version : New camera

sprinkler guy
04-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Yesterday I purchased a Canon Rebel XT on sale at Best Buy. The camera came with an accessory package as part of the sale. It included a really nice Canon bag, uv filter, and spare battery. I picked up a 4 gig card from Costco. All totaled, I was out the door for just under $575.00. The girl who sold me the camera said it should come up as discontinued in the next few weeks, so an even better deal may rear its head soon. This model was only introduced last year, but like any electronic gizmo, it's outdated by the time it hits the shelves. Now I just need to crack the book and figure out how to use it.

JoeyD
04-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Thats a good camera Sean.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Great camera Sean. Now pick up a heavy, quality Tripod and a remote trigger release. You can find excellent, quality "knock off" tripods at www.amvona.com or on ebay for the same line at much lower prices. I paid about $70 on ebay for an Amvona knock off of a $500 manfrotto tripod.

The trigger release is available from Canon.

Have fun!

kristink
04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
I gotta compliment you on the picture! The new camera does an awesome job!
To create a fun backyard atmosphere with solar outdoor lighting visit Backyard Euphoria (http://www.backyardeuphoria.com/solaroutdoorlighting.php).

Mike M
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Kristin,

Okay, solar lights are for girls. We're men.

:weightlifter:

pete scalia
04-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Great camera Sean. Now pick up a heavy, quality Tripod and a remote trigger release. You can find excellent, quality "knock off" tripods at www.amvona.com or on ebay for the same line at much lower prices. I paid about $70 on ebay for an Amvona knock off of a $500 manfrotto tripod.

Have fun!

Camera knockoffs are OK? It's just the lighting knockoffs that get your goat then? Oh nevermind I just remembered you knocked off Cast and others with that lame tree light so what am I saying here?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Kristin, welcome to the forum. I have to say though, Mike is right. :laugh:
I have never seen a Solar landscape lighting fixture that I would give to Pete Scalia, let alone install in a landscape lighting system

As for the dumb comment posted about using a knock-off tripod. There is a big difference between personal consumption & use and professional sales and installation.

If I were selling camera tripods, I would carry Manfrotto.

For my personal use, well I thought it might be worth trying out the Amvona unit for about 85% less then the name brand. In this case, for my purposes, the Amvona tripod & monopod I have work out just fine.

pete scalia
04-04-2008, 02:35 AM
What a walking , eating , breathing, contradiction out of touch with reality and a warped sense of perception.

sprinkler guy
04-04-2008, 03:32 AM

Have fun!

Thanks James, but my neighbor, who is a real photography nut set me up with a nice tripod. He has a handful that he doesn't use anymore, so he let me have one. I was showing him the camera and saying what a great deal I thought I got and he just chuckled. I asked about the camera he uses the most and he brought out a Swedish unit from a company called Hasselblad. I googled them to get some more info. Turns out they make some of the best cameras in the world. The camera he showed me and the two lenses were over $40K. Anyway, he said he'll help me learn a few tricks about taking night shots over the weekend.

Mike M
04-04-2008, 07:40 AM
The camera he showed me and the two lenses were over $40K. Anyway, he said he'll help me learn a few tricks about taking night shots over the weekend.

The whole weekend? Here's a tip: practice the cam in daylight, so when it gets dark you know where all the buttons are. That sounds silly, but it's extremely true with any new camera, regardless of your experience.

Here's a funny story: I set up some stuff for an "organic landscaping" postcard shot, and asked my 19-year-old to take some pictures with me in it it. She comes outside and says where's the camera? I said it's on the tripod, just take the picture. She says, "What's a tripod?"

What's a tripod?? Where did I go wrong???

By the way, the following pic is a good example of when to change the aperture using a slower shutter speed, to increase depth of field. My logo is out of focus.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Sean: You wont beat the Hassleblad that is for sure!

Mike is right about learning all of the controls in the daytime. Also, you might want to pick up one of those tri-colour LED headlights. Wear it on the Red setting when you are on a night shoot. You can see everything find and it will not mess up your night vision.

Im' sure Tommy will know where to get them! Make sure you buy a name brand one though, we don't want to upset anyone.

Mike M
04-04-2008, 08:44 AM
you might want to pick up one of those tri-colour LED headlights. Wear it on the Red setting when you are on a night shoot.

OMG. I have a headlight like that and never thought of using it while taking night pics.

Speaking of LED's, I crimped some 9v terminals to my DG Palm65's and I left a battery in one over night. It's still on, but, I wish I had an instrument to measure lumens. It seems like a gradual diminish, and I was under the impression they would just go out or start blinking below a certain voltage.

I am trying to measure usable hours/duration, so I can do demo's with reduced wiring and transformers. A set of 9v batt's is significantly cheaper than typical set-up and take down labor. It would also enable me to talk with people while walking around and demonstrating effects.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Any decent SLR should do the trick. My neighbor is a professional wildlife photographer (www.benswildlife.com) and he suggested the Canon 20D. I just picked up one on ebay in great shape for $500 and a 17-85 wide angle lens for $300. It sounds like a lot of money, but a comparable camera new is around $1,200 and the lens is around $450. As you can tell from my other post, i def. need a good tripod as i can not hold still enough for those night pics. there is nothing like having a good autofocus digital SLR. You will enjoy yours i am sure.