cccmachine
04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Coolers and larger oil filters I added

JosephLawnCare
04-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Nice job man. That should work well

Jusmowin
04-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Now thats the way all Zs should be setup. That oil cooler and dual filter set up is the way they shoud come from the factory that way for as much as we all pay for our equipment. Great idea and nice clean work.

cgaengineer
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Very nice work...How do you like the BushHog?

gmlcinc
04-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Where did you get the oil cooler?

Downunder Bob
04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I've wanted to do the same on a Hustler mini-z.
I'm having trouble following the hoses in the pics. I can see its a dual cooler and you used another filter, (isolating the two circuits) but can only see one tank.
Also I like the type of cooler you used (solid aluminium). Do you think they are as efficient as the radiator type?

cccmachine
04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I bought the 2 coolers off ebay.Similar to these but 20" long
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-Aluminum-Silver-Transmission-Trans-Fluid-Oil-Cooler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46104QQihZ017QQitemZ270223008830QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sorry bout the pics but there are 2 coolers on top of the motor.One for hydro and one for motor.The design of the cooler is really rugged and perfect for the Zs.

30 degree oil temp drop from engine on the cooler and dual filter setup.

Wet here so haven't checked the hydro yet,but with the cooler and 3 quarts more oil filter capacity,it should run a lot cooler.

Need any more pics just holler

Frue
04-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Nice setup.

02DURAMAX
04-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Thats awesome!..And Nice mower!.

Runner
04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
You sure set it up right. Very well thought out.

topsites
04-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Far out, high tech, looks good, HOT, I like it.

Richard Martin
04-01-2008, 07:23 PM
If you want to come up to Dixie Chopper specs you need to add a Amsoil bypass filter too. You would also need separate filters for the left and right sides of the hydro system. It does look good though.

Matts lawn care
04-01-2008, 07:55 PM
That looks sweet. If you don't mind me asking what was the total project cost.

Roger
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I agree with other comments -- nice job. But, you did not say in the initial post what problems is use prompted you to add the filter and cooler. In other words, what failures or difficulties caused you to believe these components would make the machine be more reliable, have greater longevity, or (...... your reason)? Why didn't you believe the original design was inadequate?

deere615
04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Great idea, looks really good

Downunder Bob
04-02-2008, 07:02 AM
I bought the 2 coolers off ebay.Similar to these but 20" long
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-Aluminum-Silver-Transmission-Trans-Fluid-Oil-Cooler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46104QQihZ017QQitemZ270223008830QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sorry bout the pics but there are 2 coolers on top of the motor.One for hydro and one for motor.The design of the cooler is really rugged and perfect for the Zs.

30 degree oil temp drop from engine on the cooler and dual filter setup.

Wet here so haven't checked the hydro yet,but with the cooler and 3 quarts more oil filter capacity,it should run a lot cooler.

Need any more pics just holler

Oh okay I didn't realize one was for the engine.
Do you think the extra oil in the cooler would run back into the engine and cause problems at start up. Also has the oil level on the dipstick changed?

DLCS
04-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I agree with other comments -- nice job. But, you did not say in the initial post what problems is use prompted you to add the filter and cooler. In other words, what failures or difficulties caused you to believe these components would make the machine be more reliable, have greater longevity, or (...... your reason)? Why didn't you believe the original design was inadequate?

I was wondering the same thing. Looks good.

tb8100
04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
that's not an amsoil bypass filter setup is it? I see you went with Fram for the filter. Looks super clean! Did you fab up the mounting brackets?

Most importantly, what did everything set you back??

tb8100
04-02-2008, 10:19 AM
If you want to come up to Dixie Chopper specs you need to add a Amsoil bypass filter too. You would also need separate filters for the left and right sides of the hydro system. It does look good though.

haha not many mowers come with dual bypass filters on the hydro. Bad Boy is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head (and they borrowed the idea from Dixie). I'm not a huge fan of DCs, but Art has had some cool ideas over the years for these mowers.

cccmachine
04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys,I had fun trying to get everything to work out and fit.

That looks sweet. If you don't mind me asking what was the total project cost.

For the parts I had to buy,I'd say about 350.The brackets for the filter head and coolers I made.

Only problems I've had is a base gasket on the Kawasaki leaking oil.As far as the rest of the machine,no troubles.

Like a friend said when he came over "You just cant leave a damn thing alone can you?" I just smiled and agreed.

Roger
04-03-2008, 08:54 AM

We never saw an answer to these questions.

bibbo
04-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Like a friend said when he came over "You just cant leave a damn thing alone can you?" I just smiled and agreed.

roger- i beleave thats the answer lol... beacuse he can :laugh: i think it looks really good well thought out design, good job

tomo
04-03-2008, 11:11 AM
hello,
Oil cooler fitment is a good idea and it IS ALL COMMONSENSE.
Most ztr will run hot over 212f [air cooled eng] when fitted with a larger style deck eg over 48 inch
Typical is around 240f --260f
this varies with load and/ or temp of the day

Look after your engine oil and it will look after your engine

A secondary benefit is the INCREASED OIL CAPACITY = INCREASED DIRT CAPACITY What that means is if the engine has the same service intervals the dirt is at a lesser percentage compared to system capacity

Increased system oil capacity means the same oil is recirculated less thru the engine in any given time period therefore lasting longer .

All oils degrade over 212f just some faster than others . Running oil consistantly over 212f eg 50 hrs is not recommended by ANY OIL COMPANY .Full synthetics can spike in temps to a high level but the above rule still applies

Remember that air cooled engine have to run in the snow and the middle of a desert . It cannot be designed perfectly 4 these extremes

tomo:waving:

tomo
04-03-2008, 11:43 AM
hello
If it is a very hot day with high cutting load mount the coolers away from the engine with there own electric fan
Inducing extra heat load on the engine is counter productive when coolers are monted on the cooling intake [most likely only an issue on very hot days .A temp guage will tell how effective the coolers are ]

A cooler system with greater than 1/2 quart additional capacity will most likely triple the warm up time of the engine .[up to 40 mins ]

COLD OIL = HOT IN OFFERING LITTLE ENGINE PROTECTION

Fit a oil thermostat

tomo:waving:

cccmachine
04-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Take some TX and OK heat,mix a lot of Gulf moisture and your standing smack dab in the middle of Memphis.

Sure it ran fine the way it was and probably would for years,actually it spanks some of the favorites around here in cut quality on Bermuda.The oil did look a little burnt at changes.

Just throwing a little insurance in it and a lot of what tomo said and a little of bibbos comment :laugh:

Now--- A cheap way to to put the Ferris suspension on it:confused: